News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-569 coming to Kentucky

Started by hbelkins, December 18, 2019, 03:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: vdeane on December 22, 2019, 06:29:53 PM
So... is this portion of the Western Kentucky Parkway going to be I-569 or I-369?  There have been articles alleging both now.  If it's going to be I-369, the thread title should probably be updated.

The original story said 569, but looks like it's since been edited to say 369.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hbelkins

Quote from: hbelkins on December 22, 2019, 07:31:19 PM
So... is this portion of the Western Kentucky Parkway going to be I-569 or I-369?  There have been articles alleging both now.  If it's going to be I-369, the thread title should probably be updated.

The original story said 569, but looks like it's since been edited to say 369.

Actually, I clicked on the link Alex provided instead of the original link I referenced.

MUHLENBERG/OHIO COUNTY, Ky. (12/17/19) – U.S. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) announced today that he secured legislation in the fiscal year 2020 government-funding agreement to begin the process of designating a section of the Wendell H. Ford Western Kentucky Parkway in Muhlenberg and Ohio counties as a spur of Interstate 69 (I-569).

The government funding bills were approved today by the House of Representatives and the Senate is expected to approve them in the coming days, according to a press release. Once approved, the government-funding agreement will be sent to Pres. Donald Trump for his signature.

In April, Majority Leader McConnell and Congressman James Comer (KY-01) introduced companion legislation for the new designation, which will highlight the region's connections with the federal interstate highway system and aid in attracting new industry and economic development to the area, McConnel reports. The McConnell/Comer legislation will add this section of road to the list of "High Priority Corridors,"  and once the designation is official at the state and federal levels, the road will be labeled as I-569. Additionally, this legislation provides an exemption to the federal weight limit on the Edward T. Breathitt Pennyrile Parkway.

The Ghostbuster

I'd number the Western Kentucky Parkway Interstate 369 (from 69 and 169 all the way to Interstate 65), and save the 569 designation for the Audubon Parkway. Actually, I would have preferred the WKP be numbered Interstate 269, but then again, I have no say in the matter.

SteveG1988

I could see it as an interm thing, having it end at 165. the eastern end of it may not be up to snuff just yet, and having the x65 and x69 system converted over to interstates from parkways may be a higher priority, having lower miles for the WK Parkway to be 569/369 on paper sounds better to people who don't wanna spend highway money.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

wdcrft63

I live in Raleigh-Durham NC, where we get grief on the Forum all the time saying that I-540 should be I-640 since it connects two interstates (I-40 west to I-87 east). Shouldn't/couldn't this WKP section get a designation starting with an even number for the same reason?

RoadWarrior56

Proposed I-569 would serve as a spur of I-69, even though it would terminate at another Interstate (I-169 , also a spur).  I think an odd prefix would be fine for this road.  I am not aware of a rule that says that odd 3di's can't terminate at another interstate, only that they are usually spurs or relatively short branches.

sprjus4

IMO, should just make the entire Western Kentucky Parkway, a small overlap with I-65, and the Bluegrass Parkway, then extend it to I-64, a single 2D route, such as I-56. It would be about 182 miles long.

ilpt4u

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 23, 2019, 09:16:59 PM
IMO, should just make the entire Western Kentucky Parkway, a small overlap with I-65, and the Bluegrass Parkway, then extend it to I-64, a single 2D route, such as I-56. It would be about 182 miles long.
Cause everyone loves intrastate 2DIs

I'm doubling down on the 69-65 remainder segment of the Western KY Pkwy becoming extended I-71

If the Bluegrass can ever be extended to I-64 or I-75 at or near Lexington, I nominate it for I-171. Could it be an (odd)DI like 171 not ending on the Interstate system on both ends? Sure! And it would be a Spur from I-65, I-71, Fort Knox, and Elizabethtown to the Frankfort and Lexington areas - legitimate. It just ends so relatively close to 64 and 75 in Lexington. And yes, I understand there are issues with the land around the east end of the Bluegrass...right in Horse Country. Hence why the Bluegrass ends where it does.

ilpt4u

Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on December 23, 2019, 08:52:58 PM
I am not aware of a rule that says that odd 3di's can't terminate at another interstate, only that they are usually spurs or relatively short branches.
Rules...more like Guidelines anyway. Plenty of previous threads discussing Even vs Odd 3DI Numbering Theory and Practice around these forums

Tom958

sparker

This is what happens when political weasels stick their noses (and other protrusions) into matters such as highway designation -- good ideas like a I-71 extension (logical as a "veer-off" from I-69) don't see the light of day.  Not that McConnell gives a shit about anything besides covering his ass in an election year -- but the timing of this seems at best gratuitous.  Obviously KY folks didn't learn anything from the TX (I-69 and siblings) clusterfuck! 

dvferyance

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 18, 2019, 03:37:32 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on December 18, 2019, 03:35:59 PM
The section of the Western Kentucky Parkway between the Pennyrile (I-69) and the Natcher (I-165) is going to be designated as I-569. (Link)

Not sure why they don't extend this all the way to I-65.
interesting, Does Kentucky plan on turning all of their parkways into interstates?
I was thinking the same thing with the Audubon planned to become I-369 that only leaves the Bluegrass, Cumberland and Mountain parkways left that aren't interstates. The Hal Rodgers doesn't count since it's only 2 lanes. As mentioned before I like the I-56 idea there are no even numbered interstates as of yet in the 50's this would be the first one.

hbelkins

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 18, 2019, 03:37:32 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on December 18, 2019, 03:35:59 PM
The section of the Western Kentucky Parkway between the Pennyrile (I-69) and the Natcher (I-165) is going to be designated as I-569. (Link)

Not sure why they don't extend this all the way to I-65.
interesting, Does Kentucky plan on turning all of their parkways into interstates?

I doubt very seriously if there will ever be a move to turn the Mountain Parkway into an interstate, even after the four-laning is completed all the way to Salyersville.

The Kentucky Parkway system looks like the earliest state post interstate plan and it seems to have been completed. Am I right hbelkins?
I vote I 56 all the way to Lexington.

tidecat

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 23, 2019, 09:42:46 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on December 23, 2019, 09:16:59 PM
Cause everyone loves intrastate 2DIs

I'm doubling down on the 69-65 remainder segment of the Western KY Pkwy becoming extended I-71

If the Bluegrass can ever be extended to I-64 or I-75 at or near Lexington, I nominate it for I-171. Could it be an (odd)DI like 171 not ending on the Interstate system on both ends? Sure! And it would be a Spur from I-65, I-71, Fort Knox, and Elizabethtown to the Frankfort and Lexington areas - legitimate. It just ends so relatively close to 64 and 75 in Lexington. And yes, I understand there are issues with the land around the east end of the Bluegrass...right in Horse Country. Hence why the Bluegrass ends where it does.
I'll raise you extending I-71 all the way to I-24 just south of Hopkinsville. The irony is that the Pennyrile/I-569/WK/I-65/I-71 route actually is already the fastest route between Hopkinsville and Cleveland.

Even though Paducah would not actually be on I-71, it would be the likely control city on a good part of I-71.
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

ilpt4u

Quote from: tidecat on December 30, 2019, 10:56:27 PM
I'll raise you extending I-71 all the way to I-24 just south of Hopkinsville. The irony is that the Pennyrile/I-569/WK/I-65/I-71 route actually is already the fastest route between Hopkinsville and Cleveland.

Even though Paducah would not actually be on I-71, it would be the likely control city on a good part of I-71.
That would introduce one more Interstate "Bump" which some around these parts aren't fans of (IDOT clearly does not mind, as IL has two of the glorious Interstate Bumps). I would use Memphis as the Control over Paducah on "that" I-71, along the Western KY Parkway (assuming Tennessee gets I-69 actually built to Memphis), going by the same reasoning that IL uses Memphis for I-57, not Sikeston

Fictional: The Pennyrile has a future as I-41. That Future may be 50 years from now, but I-41 will make it out of Wisconsin, some day...

I like the Pennyrile Parkway freeway (and whatever "Interstate" designation the rest of it may be given, some day) being extended into Tennessee and leading directly into the current western end of I-840 at I-40 west of Nashville. Would potentially have a similar effect that I-74 and I-39 do for Chicago -- a Long Distance Bypass of the Urban Area that would probably pull at least some Long Distance Truck (and car) Traffic away from I-65 and I-24 in Downtown Nashville. Also increases Interstate Access (and more Direct) for Fort Campell

Because that is my Vision for the remaining Southern Section of the Pennyrile, I would not endorse that for an I-71 extension. It is a legitimate idea, tho - as good as I-569 anyway!

Buck87

Those wanting I-71 here, would you sign it north-south or east-west?

sparker

Quote from: Buck87 on December 31, 2019, 10:42:31 AM
Those wanting I-71 here, would you sign it north-south or east-west?

Since it'll be a more or less diagonal extension of the existing I-71 in KY, it should retain the N-S bannering.  Don't need to pull a I-69 at Lansing move and change it mid-stream -- besides, as a functional "branch-off" of I-69 (if indeed deployed as such), the N-S description is certainly appropriate.

bandit957

Just establish a Paducah-to-Lexington Interstate already. Nearly all of it is already built.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

What are the traffic counts from TH to Lexington?

I must correct myself. Checked Rand McNally from 1961 and 2. No Parkways in 61 but Western and Mountain are in 62 as proposed or under construction like most of the Interstates at the time.
Also interesting is I 24. It's in 61 as proposed in Kentucky but not Tennessee or Illinois.Then in 62 it is gone. I know Illinois didn't pick a route until the mid sixties.

hbelkins

Quote from: 3467 on December 30, 2019, 09:49:49 PM
The Kentucky Parkway system looks like the earliest state post interstate plan and it seems to have been completed. Am I right hbelkins?

It has been completed, and I certainly don't anticipate any more toll freeways being built in the state.

Governors added routes to the plans as the toll construction progressed. Bert Combs proposed the Mountain Parkway to reach his adopted hometown of Prestonsburg. Louie Nunn, a Republican island in a sea of Democrats, proposed the Cumberland and Daniel Boone parkways to reach into traditionally Republican areas of the state (what's known as the "Old 5th" congressional district back when Kentucky had seven districts.) I honestly don't know why the Pennyrile was never originally finished all the way to I-24 and it took decades to complete it. IIRC, the Pennyrile was completed before I-24 was, so the logical ending point was Alt. US 41. A lot of other connector routes were built as the interstates were (such as KY 32 in Morehead, KY 36 in Owingsville, KY 2 in Olive Hill) so a link to the Pennyrile could have been built then.

Revive 755

Quote from: hbelkins on December 31, 2019, 06:50:03 PM
Quote from: 3467 on December 30, 2019, 09:49:49 PM

It has been completed, and I certainly don't anticipate any more toll freeways being built in the state.

I thought there was a branch off the Mountain Parkway near Campton that was cancelled?

Given the number of cancelled freeway corridors around Louisville and Lexington, it seems odd that there weren't more proposed and cancelled parkway corridors.

bandit957

Quote from: Revive 755 on December 31, 2019, 11:03:25 PM
I thought there was a branch off the Mountain Parkway near Campton that was cancelled?

My 1964 Rand McNally Road Atlas (the one with the vinyl cover that smelled nice) has a branch from Campton to Hazard marked as proposed. In fact, a tiny stretch of it was marked as under construction, so I don't know what became of that.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.