News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Only in China

Started by FLRoads, January 01, 2011, 02:03:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLRoads

China has done it again:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1343004/A-bridge-far-China-unveils-worlds-longest-sea-bridge-miles-FURTHER-Dover-Calais-crossing.html

The Qingdao Haiwan Bridge, completed earlier this week, links the main urban area of Qingdao city, East China's Shandong province, with Huangdao district, straddling the Jiaozhou Bay sea areas. The bridge structure includes a stack interchange completely over water! Only the Chinese...

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

And the Louisianians:

www.alpsroads.net/roads/la/i-310 - they specifically cut away the trees to just leave water underneath the ramps.

Duke87

More noteworthy is that the Pontchartrain Causeway is no longer the world's longest bridge...
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Roadsign199qc

Hi!

agentsteel53

now who's going to build the first full stack?

or, in BigMatt's dream world - the first eight-high stack with complete set of HOV ramps?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Chris

China opened 6,000 miles of freeway last year by the way...

yanksfan6129

6,000 miles in a year? Day-um.... Only in China indeed!

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 02, 2011, 01:08:48 PM
now who's going to build the first full stack?

or, in BigMatt's dream world - the first eight-high stack with complete set of HOV ramps?
You can have a four-level stack with complete HOV and frontage roads.  I sketched it out, too lazy to upload the photo.  Basically, the inner road's stack goes on the outside, the outer road's stack goes on the inside.  )))((( would be how the ramps look next to each other.

Duke87

Quote from: AlpsROADS on January 03, 2011, 07:55:25 PM
You can have a four-level stack with complete HOV and frontage roads.  I sketched it out, too lazy to upload the photo.  Basically, the inner road's stack goes on the outside, the outer road's stack goes on the inside.  )))((( would be how the ramps look next to each other.

Something like this?
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Anthony_JK

Unless you were using a local/express setup for both mainlines, that would be the understatement of overkills.

For a mainline/frontage road setup, though, a five level stack would be pretty sufficient.

Although, you could do what TxDOT did with the Beltway 8/Sam Houston Tollway/I-10-Katy Freeway interchange did and elevate the BW8 feeders above the surface frontage roads to provide a bypass.

Then again, if you hapened to have an inner HOV/HOT setup, it might work out.

Anthony

Alps

Quote from: Duke87 on January 03, 2011, 09:30:42 PM
Quote from: AlpsROADS on January 03, 2011, 07:55:25 PM
You can have a four-level stack with complete HOV and frontage roads.  I sketched it out, too lazy to upload the photo.  Basically, the inner road's stack goes on the outside, the outer road's stack goes on the inside.  )))((( would be how the ramps look next to each other.

Something like this?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alpsroads/5328299985/

BigMattFromTexas

Any DOT want to use my 19 stack interchange over water???

berberry

When you say "only in China" on a forum about roads, I can't help thinking about this:

It's the Guoliang Tunnel, located in the Taihan mountains.  It provides access to a small village, previously accessible only by a steep and difficult footpath.  Tired of waiting for the Chinese government to provide a motor roadway, a group of the villagers built this tunnel themselves in the 1970s.  Dangerous but stunningly beautiful, it has become a major tourist draw.

If you find the pictures interesting, you may also enjoy this video tour.

mightyace

That reminds me of a section of highway shown on The History Channel's "IRT: World's Deadliest Roads" miniseries.  The most recent (only?) version was done in India was there was a section of road in the Himalayan foothills called "the cutouts."  It also was a section of road that was an "almost tunnel" with a roof and one of the two walls.  The Indian version, for the most part, didn't even have the stone "guardrail" shown on this Chinese road.

Back to the road itself, that was amazing that the locals took the initiative to do this during the height of the Mao era.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

berberry

Quote from: mightyace on January 27, 2011, 01:25:23 PM
That reminds me of a section of highway shown on The History Channel's "IRT: World's Deadliest Roads" miniseries.  The most recent (only?) version was done in India was there was a section of road in the Himalayan foothills called "the cutouts."  It also was a section of road that was an "almost tunnel" with a roof and one of the two walls.  The Indian version, for the most part, didn't even have the stone "guardrail" shown on this Chinese road.

Yeah, I've been watching those truckers all along, and I enjoyed the Indian excursion more than any of the others.  In fact, that's what got me interested in dangerous roads.  I had heard of the Yungas Road in Bolivia, and looking that one up led me to this tunnel.  I'd like to see it in person one day.

QuoteBack to the road itself, that was amazing that the locals took the initiative to do this during the height of the Mao era.

Absolutely amazing, but considering the circumstances - no access except by footpath until the late 1970s - I've been wondering just how much those folks would have known at the time about everything that was going on in their country.  I've looked, but so far I haven't found any information about that.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.