News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Scariest bridge you've ever driven across

Started by bugo, June 15, 2010, 04:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

Quote from: jakeroot on March 02, 2015, 04:41:38 PM
Or while being anywhere near it. When that thing goes, I can only assume the entire waterfront is going with it.
Judging by the Frisco area collapses, it'll fall on itself.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

02 Park Ave

The Saint George Bridge on US 13 in Delaware was nerve racking.
C-o-H

kkt

Quote from: NE2 on March 02, 2015, 04:44:34 PM
Or while being anywhere near it. When that thing goes, I can only assume the entire waterfront is going with it.

Texas has collapsed?

NE2

Quote from: kkt on March 02, 2015, 04:51:42 PM
Texas has collapsed?
What's the city of Frisco, Texas named for? Mind blown.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jakeroot

Yeah but there's still the earthquake that'll make it collapse.

kphoger

Quote from: NE2 on March 02, 2015, 05:00:47 PM
Texas has collapsed?

The Saint Louis-San Francisco Railroad, as a matter of fact.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kkt

Quote from: kphoger on March 02, 2015, 05:14:12 PM
Quote from: NE2 on March 02, 2015, 05:00:47 PM
Texas has collapsed?

The Saint Louis-San Francisco Railroad, as a matter of fact.

San Francisco being the railroad's aspiration.  It actually didn't get any closer to San Francisco than Nebraska.

NE2

Quote from: kkt on March 02, 2015, 05:30:07 PM
San Francisco being the railroad's aspiration.  It actually didn't get any closer to San Francisco than Nebraska.
Where did it enter Nebraska? The plan was to build to San Francisco via the Texas Panhandle, but the route west of Isleta, NM went to the Santa Fe, and it was never built from Isleta east to Sapulpa, OK. (The Frisco did later build farther west after the plans to reach California were scrapped.)

kkt

Quote from: NE2 on March 02, 2015, 06:36:57 PM
Quote from: kkt on March 02, 2015, 05:30:07 PM
Where did it enter Nebraska? The plan was to build to San Francisco via the Texas Panhandle, but the route west of Isleta, NM went to the Santa Fe, and it was never built from Isleta east to Sapulpa, OK. (The Frisco did later build farther west after the plans to reach California were scrapped.)

I thought they had trackage rights into Omaha at one point, but now I'm not finding it.  I was probably wrong.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: jakeroot on March 02, 2015, 05:05:56 PM

The Irwin-Allen-esque music is in poor taste for a government agency simulating a massive loss of human life.

jakeroot

Quote from: Pete from Boston on March 04, 2015, 04:20:33 PM

The Irwin-Allen-esque music is in poor taste for a government agency simulating a massive loss of human life.

Haahaa, the sound was added by somebody else. The original video stopped every 10 seconds for a short narration.

Phil P

The old North Wildwood, NJ bridge was wood and metal.  It  rattled and moved as you drove across, and my mother was always afraid to go over it.

SteveG1988

Quote from: jakeroot on March 04, 2015, 04:57:06 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on March 04, 2015, 04:20:33 PM

Haahaa, the sound was added by somebody else. The original video stopped every 10 seconds for a short narration.

Not a bridge...but this is actually the audio they went with for a "proposal" video....

That irwin allen music made me think of it.

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Moose

By far the WORST bridge I have ever been on was in Rowlesburg WV.

It was a railroad installed bridge to get the county road over the railroad yard. It was one lane and had loose wood boards for the deck. The boards were just planks between the steel bridge rails. They rattled like an SOB, and you could feel them move under the car.

If that wasn't bad enough, the structure was OLD and not very sturdy. You could feel the structure move too(as if the boards weren't bad enough). It was about 300 yards long too.

It never failed that some MORON would start across the bridge from the other side with you on it. You had to do that bridge at about 3mph. Took forever to get across it.

TravelingBethelite

Charlestown Bridge in Boston or the Route 34/Stevenson Dam crossing of the Housatonic River. They're made of steel, so I suspect they're safe, but the rattling is unsettling.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

noelbotevera

US 1 drawbridge in Mystic CT. It's old, but it's bold, not to the common eye. I thought that thing would crush itself.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

DaBigE

This one (Google Map version link), an old, wooden, one-lane bridge, which has a crest to it that hides opposing traffic. A bridge that I thought was supposed to be replaced many years ago. I recall having to go across it while practice driving with my driving school instructor. It seemed scarier when there was an active railroad below it.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Big John

^^ I was processing a bridge inspection report on it 12 years ago and it was in very poor shape then so I am surprised it is still up. 

Even worse is the old truss bridge a little bit east of that.  It was closed to all traffic a good while ago because one of the truss members had totally rusted through. So I am surprised to see that bridge had not been demolished for liability purposes itself.

DaBigE

Quote from: Big John on September 18, 2015, 11:33:09 PM
^^ I was processing a bridge inspection report on it 12 years ago and it was in very poor shape then so I am surprised it is still up. 

Even worse is the old truss bridge a little bit east of that.  It was closed to all traffic a good while ago because one of the truss members had totally rusted through. So I am surprised to see that bridge had not been demolished for liability purposes itself.

That was close to the last time I drove over it. I recall that bridge (and a couple others) being the subject of a couple "investigative reports" by the Milwaukee TV channels. I know a few friends that had their senior pictures taken by the truss bridge you mentioned. That may be the last of its kind that crosses the Milwaukee River, with the truss bridges in Newburg and Saukville having been replaced several years ago.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

mariethefoxy

Williamsburg Bridge in NYC, the lanes are VERY narrow, worse than my other least favorite, the Outerbridge Crossing

The Tappan Zee doesnt really scare me to be honest, it used to years ago when the pavement was much worse.

Also I hate that horrible Belt Parkway drawbridge, the pavement sucks on both ends, its bumpy and the steel grates cause my car to sway from side to side as I drive on it.

Another NYC one I hear is pretty bad but I never actually driven on it yet, The Outer roadway of the Queensboro Bridge, I've seen videos of that thing, it looks insane.

Zeffy

This extremely narrow bridge in Washingtons Crossing, NJ and PA:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.296027,-74.8671476,3a,70.6y,237.26h,73.69t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sA1f8Nij4DCF4VOCeoqyeoQ!2e0!7i3328!8i1664

This is supposedly a two-way bridge, but I am very skeptical because barely two normal sized cars can fit on this thing without running into the sides of the bridge. You HAVE to pull your mirrors in otherwise they will get dinged, unless you want to ram the guy who is crossing on the other side.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Big John

^^ Bridgehunter shows the deck width as 15.1'. http://bridgehunter.com/pa/bucks/97224999100050/

This is far narrower than the minimum AASHTO allowable width for a 2-way roadway of 18'.  I am guessing why this is not a 1-lane bridge is its long length making for significant backups to clear traffic when it would switch directions.

capt.ron

AL 35 going across the Tennessee River before reaching AL 40. When it was 2 lanes back in the day, that thing was one scary ass bridge.
Upon completion of the new southbound bridge, that [old] bridge will probably be torn down or be converted to a pedestrian bridge.

SteveG1988

Quote from: Big John on September 27, 2015, 10:19:29 AM
^^ Bridgehunter shows the deck width as 15.1'. http://bridgehunter.com/pa/bucks/97224999100050/

This is far narrower than the minimum AASHTO allowable width for a 2-way roadway of 18'.  I am guessing why this is not a 1-lane bridge is its long length making for significant backups to clear traffic when it would switch directions.

Weird that a newer bridge would be narrower than the older Calhoun Street Bridge.

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

kkt

Quote from: Big John on September 27, 2015, 10:19:29 AM

What about the traffic backups when one of them has to back up from the middle of the bridge?  Or when they collide?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.