News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Road Names with a "Gap"

Started by webny99, February 22, 2023, 10:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bzakharin

I'm sure I've seen roads named after the town they go to on either side of the town, that are named something else within the town. I can't think of a specific example. The closest I can think of is Woodbridge Ave in NJ, which runs from Highland Park to Woodbridge where it becomes Main Street. Main Street ends at Rahway Avenue (onto which the county route it carries turns) but another Woodbridge Avenue begins just one block to the south of this intersection. This second Woodbridge Avenue never actually leaves Woodbridge, though.

kphoger

Quote from: bzakharin on March 16, 2023, 02:23:17 PM
I'm sure I've seen roads named after the town they go to on either side of the town, that are named something else within the town. I can't think of a specific example.

There's a local one that's actually the opposite.  Butler Road exists both north and south of the town of Andover.  Within Andover, it's called Andover Road.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kylebnjmnross

In my neighborhood, there is a main road that goes from New Cumberland to Mechanicsburg that is called Simpson Ferry Road for most of its length. Starting from New Cumberland and going west, it starts out as Simpson Ferry Road. But then for some reason after it reaches an interchange with I-83, it changes to Carlisle Road. Then it takes a sharp turn, goes under a railroad underpass, and then sort of intersects with itself and becomes Gettysburg Road for a very short length. Then the Gettysburg name shoots off onto a different road, and so it becomes Simpson Ferry again, with only a brief stretch as Main Street as it goes through Shiremanstown.

roadman65

Orange Blossom Trail in Orange and Osceola Counties of Florida. It changes names at Kissimmee and Apopka to coincide with those cities own street grid.

I believe Pocahontas Trail in VA was mentioned already around Williamsburg.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

-- US 175 --

There are 2 instances of this in Plano, TX (Dallas northern suburb). 

Dallas and Richardson both have Greenville Ave. (historic US 75), until it intersects with Plano Rd. a couple of miles south of Plano, then it is Ave. K in Plano, then it goes back to being Greenville Ave. in Allen.

A different scenario occurs farther west, as Hillcrest Rd. in Dallas becomes Ohio Dr. in Plano.  Ohio continues north into Frisco, but the Hillcrest name resumes in Frisco also, along approximately the same alignment as the Dallas version.  IIRR, residents along and near Ohio in Plano petitioned the city some time ago to change the Ohio name to Hillcrest but the city was steadfast for some reason and refused.

roadman65

Governor Printz Blvd. in both Delaware and SE Pennsylvania (which is US 13 and PA 291) has gaps in Chester and Essington.

Sheryl Crowe

Dough4872

This is common in Pennsylvania where a road passes through a town and becomes a street. Easton Road (PA 611) has a gap through Doylestown where it's called Main Street (PA 611 bypasses Doylestown). Ridge Pike has a gap in the Norristown area where it becomes Main Street. Dekalb Pike (US 202) has a gap in Bridgeport and Norristown where it is Dekalb Street (which carries northbound US 202). North Wales Road has a gap in North Wales where it is Walnut Street. Sumneytown Pike has a gap in North Wales where it is Main Street.

kurumi

In the past, Connecticut's modern-day Berlin Turnpike (US 5 and CT 15) was called that everywhere except in Berlin itself, where the name was "Wilbur Cross Highway". That was fixed around 2001 and it's now the Berlin Turnpike throughout.

Before the change: https://www.nytimes.com/2001/02/18/nyregion/in-berlin-a-road-with-an-identity-crisis.html
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

dgolub

Quote from: Declan127 on February 23, 2023, 09:10:34 PM
NY 24's western segment is normally called Hempstead Turnpike in Nassau County, but within Franklin Square (more or less Hempstead town center) it becomes Fulton Avenue (I believe).

It happens in the Village of Hempstead, not Franklin Square, but yes, that gap does exist.

dgolub

I feel like this sort of arrangement isn't all that rare.  Here on Long Island, Montauk Highway does it twice, once in Patchogue, where the CR 85 and CR 80 sections are separated by Main Street, and once in Southampton where the unsigned section of NY 27A is separated from NY 27 by Hill Street and Hampton Road.

bzakharin

Camden County New Jersey CR 644 starts out as Grove Street in Haddonfield and Cherry Hill, then becomes Haddonfield Road after crossing NJ 70 in Cherry Hill. It continues under that name until it enters Pennsauken, at which point it's signed as Haddonfield-Sorrell Horse Road at traffic lights, but still Haddonfield Rd on regular blades. This ends after the interchange with NJ 90 after which it reverts to being just Haddonfield Road. I'm sure the intention was to sign Sorrell Horse all the way to the road's terminus at US 130 since it's named after the Sorrel Horse Tavern (note the difference in spelling, though) which existed at that intersection into the 1950s or 1960s.

wanderer2575

Through South Lyon MI, Pontiac Trail is also Lafayette Street and 10 Mile Road is also Lake Street.

https://goo.gl/maps/1bqjv6i8CPkw46ux9

Flint1979

Quote from: TEG24601 on February 23, 2023, 11:58:43 AM
M-24 in Oakland County, MI, is also named Lapeer Rd, south of Lake Orīon, then it turns, and a street, near the same alignment is now Lapeer Rd/St, and M-24 becomes Park Blvd., then as soon as it leaves the city limits, it become Lapeer Rd. again. Then just a few miles North, through the city of Oxford, MI, the road is names Washington St., but returns to the Lapeer Rd., again outside of the city limits.
That's because the name Lapeer is consistent through the rural areas and the name only changes in cities/villages, that's pretty normal around Michigan.

bugo

Quote from: CoreySamson on February 22, 2023, 10:31:11 PM
This may be an example of something else entirely, Tulsa has a few major issues with discontinuous roads with some of the smaller streets. For example, Evanston Avenue exists as 20 discontinuous roads, which is kinda sucky for navigation.

I don't think this is what the OP was talking about. What he was referring to was roads like the main E-W streets through BA. They change names at the city limits on each side of BA. 61st becomes Albany, for example, and changes back to 61st at the east city limit. BA has always thought it was a lot more important than it is,  and this is one example. At least some of the street signs have the street's real name on them along with the BA name.

roadman65

Baltimore Washington Blvd ( US 1) in Laurel, MD.  It becomes a one way couplet in the city limits and the next county, but then resumes when the one way pair merges back together on each end.

Sheryl Crowe

swake

Quote from: bugo on June 06, 2023, 06:47:37 PM
Quote from: CoreySamson on February 22, 2023, 10:31:11 PM
This may be an example of something else entirely, Tulsa has a few major issues with discontinuous roads with some of the smaller streets. For example, Evanston Avenue exists as 20 discontinuous roads, which is kinda sucky for navigation.

I don't think this is what the OP was talking about. What he was referring to was roads like the main E-W streets through BA. They change names at the city limits on each side of BA. 61st becomes Albany, for example, and changes back to 61st at the east city limit. BA has always thought it was a lot more important than it is,  and this is one example. At least some of the street signs have the street's real name on them along with the BA name.

Yeah, Jenks does this too. Peoria leaving Tulsa becomes Elm in Jenks and then goes back to Peoria in Glenpool. The exit for Elm in Jenks on the Creek Turnpike is labeled "Elm - Peoria".

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.0168394,-95.9682986,3a,25.2y,270.58h,87.58t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1s_r_SXPxTSQ2H78sF1HHQvA!2e0!5s20230201T000000!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3D_r_SXPxTSQ2H78sF1HHQvA%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D337.70114%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

I've seen a lot of name changes like this in the Bay Area in California.

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.4060471,-122.1560169,3a,15y,32.77h,91.97t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-kzpkFJvmoq13WDffMw1Fw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

TheStranger

Quote from: swake on June 12, 2023, 06:31:50 PM

I've seen a lot of name changes like this in the Bay Area in California.

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.4060471,-122.1560169,3a,15y,32.77h,91.97t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-kzpkFJvmoq13WDffMw1Fw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

This segment of Junipero Serra Boulevard near Stanford was supposed to be connected to the San Francisco-San Bruno arterial in 1940s planning, but the creation of I-280 in the 1950s negated this.  (280 itself did take over a portion of the boulevard between South San Francisco and San Bruno)
Chris Sampang

bugo

Quote from: swake on June 12, 2023, 06:31:50 PM
Yeah, Jenks does this too. Peoria leaving Tulsa becomes Elm in Jenks and then goes back to Peoria in Glenpool. The exit for Elm in Jenks on the Creek Turnpike is labeled "Elm - Peoria".

I used to take that exit every day on the way to work. It was the first interchange to switch to Platepay. The toll fare from Yale to Peoria (~3 miles) for a vehicle with 2 axles with Platepay is a whopping $1.50, but the fare with Pikepass is a much more reasonable 50¢. The Platepay fare at the Peoria exit is the same $1.50 whether you get on at Yale, or at Memorial. The Pikepass fare from Memorial to Peoria is 75¢. If you use the turnpikes very often at all, the Pikepass pays for itself very quickly.

mrsman

L.A. has certain independent cities that are surrounded by L.A. and as far as I'm aware they each have some streets that meet this and change names when crossing the city line and change back when reentering L.A.

San Fernando:  Bradley - 4th - Bradley;  Herrick - 5th - Herrick

Inglewood and Hawthorne:  Eucalyptus - Cardon - Eucalyptus - Cardon [but part of this is blocked by the 105 freeway]; Fir - Firmona - Ramona - Firmona [again part is blocked by the 105 freeway]

Mid-Wilshire: Crescent Heights - McCarthy Vista - Carrillo - Crescent Heights

Culver City:  While these streets are blocked north of Venice, you do have Cornith-Albright-Corinth and Purdue-Bledsoe-Purdue

Beverly Hills: Sherbourne - Carson - Sherbourne; Holt - Stanley - Holt

JKRhodes

Gilbert, Arizona: Greenfield Road becomes Santan Village Parkway as it snakes around the 202 freeway, then becomes Greenfield Road again after it crosses Pecos.

Portions of the original greenfield road still exist in that gap on the original alignment, mostly whatever wasn't overlaid by Loop 202.

JKRhodes

Also in Tucson: Campbell Ave - Kino Parkway - Campbell Ave.

WillWeaverRVA

This is kind of cheating but in Mecklenburg County, Virginia, US 1's official name is "Highway One" (all spelled out). In South Hill, it becomes Mecklenburg Avenue and Danville Avenue before joining US 58 and becoming Highway One again (despite also being US 58).

Mecklenburg County is strange in that a number of primary routes' official names are their numbers spelled out (for example, Highway Fifty-Eight, Highway Forty-Seven, etc). This happens with a secondary route, as well - part of SR 903 is Goodes Ferry Road, but it officially becomes "Highway Nine-O-Three" near Bracey.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.