News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

AsphaltPlanet.ca Updates

Started by AsphaltPlanet, July 02, 2013, 10:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AsphaltPlanet

A couple of recent California photo updates:

California Highway 4 east of San Francisco:

www.AsphaltPlanet.ca/CA/CA/4/index.html

California Highway 54 in San Diego:

www.AsphaltPlanet.ca/CA/CA/54/index.html

California Highway 94 in San Diego:

www.AsphaltPlanet.ca/CA/CA/94/index.html

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

nexus73

Some joker needs to get on those NORTH and SOUTH signs so they can paint POLE after the direction...LOL!  I always liked descriptive destinations over generic. 

Despite that pick at Caltrans, I did like the pix!  Looks like wonderful weather too...

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

AsphaltPlanet

^ Thanks.

I wish I had have encountered that warm weather recently.  These are from years past.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

AsphaltPlanet

I've uploaded a new video to Youtube.

I-99 in New York:

nexus73

Looks like Oregon with all that greenery and the hills.  Wish we could drive that fast sometimes...LOL!  It looks like a wonderful trip was had.  Having never been to the NE USA makes seeing videos like these all the more enjoyable to view, so thank you!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

AsphaltPlanet

Thanks.  Rural Pennsylvania is actually a great state to drive through.  The towns are interesting, and the mountains are steep sided, which makes for some great roads.

AsphaltPlanet

Another vid from me, this time from the NYC area:

nexus73

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on April 07, 2017, 09:17:08 PM
Another vid from me, this time from the NYC area:

As I was watching your video, a local radio station was playing Billy Idol's "Rebel Yell".  It seemed to fit the speed of the video rather nicely!  Wish we could drive as fast as the music sometimes....

Rick

AsphaltPlanet

nexus73

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on April 08, 2017, 05:34:12 PM
Sometimes?

Sometimes those roads are icy, wet, debris-strewn, pothole-infested and outright congested!

My idea of fun back in the Seventies was to go fast on SoCal freeways late at night.  Mostly empty, I could then hit the bright lights to make the Botts Dots go off like crazy and the whole view was that of a video game made real.  Turn the radio up and let 'er rip!  Life's too short to live a quarter mile at a time...LOL!

Yeah, I piled up my share of tickets too.  They were worth every penny.

Rick

AsphaltPlanet

Two recent vids:

Toronto to Mississauga in 4K at Dusk

I-35 in Austin, TX at Dusk

nexus73

That is the first time for me to see Austin from a freeway perspective.  There was a show about how the rollergirls began the comeback of that sport early last decade which was set in Austin and of course there is the movie "Slacker", but I had no idea Austin was such a metro area.  At most I figured it was Salem and Corvallis combined, not the 11th largest city in the nation.  I might have guessed it was the 11th largest city in Texas...LOL! 

As the zippy video goes along, I thought of the 85 MPH toll road and wondered what that would look like in real time.  Give you a 5 MPH cushion to go 90 MPH and see what happens!

Thank you for such an outstanding video...

Rick

AsphaltPlanet

More videos...

Century Freeway Night Video:

Rural midwestern Ontario:

AsphaltPlanet

nexus73

That was my first view of I-105.  Thank you for another great video showing how I really drove those freeways back in 1975...LOL!

Rick

AsphaltPlanet

The 105 was my first experience of driving in LA as well, though it was considerably more recent than 1975.

nexus73

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on July 01, 2017, 01:16:05 PM
The 105 was my first experience of driving in LA as well, though it was considerably more recent than 1975.

...and today is considerably more congested!

Rick

AsphaltPlanet

Some new media from me:

Video of Ontario's Highway 35:

A couple of new photos of the recently widened collector lanes on the 401 in Toronto:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_401_images/Hwy401_p9_images.htm

Some new photos of the Southfield Freeway in Detroit:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/MI/MI/39/index.html

New photos of the Pomona Freeway in LA:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/CA/CA/60/index.html

Some new photos of the 5 Freeway in northern LA:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/CA/I/5/Page5.html

AsphaltPlanet

Here are some recent videos that I have uploaded:

El Paso, Texas:

I-635, Dallas, Texas:

I-70, Saint Louis:

Toronto Freeways at night:

nexus73

Looks like you're driving those Texas speeds in El Paso...LOL!  That was a nice tour of the area.  West Texas reminds me of being on Mars with a blue sky since there is no vegetation and all rock in some places.  Stark beauty indeed!

Rick

AsphaltPlanet

^ I drove pretty tamely through El Paso, I was far more manic when I drove I-635.

I have to say, I enjoy making these videos.  They're a whole different ballgame from taking photos, and I think doing the videos has made me a much better photographer.

dallasnomad730

That was a nice video of El Paso, AsphaltPlanet! Pretty cool, anytime when you get the chance to go to Houston, TX (if the floods are gone)  could you check out I-69/US 59 from downtown to SHT Sam Houston Tollway soon? I'm just curious about the new exit numbers they have there.

AsphaltPlanet

^ Thanks for the comment.  I didn't go to Houston on my most recent trip through Texas when I filmed the El Paso and Dallas videos.  I've toyed with the idea of visiting Texas (including Houston) in the Spring of 2018, but seeing as I live in Canada, I'm probably not going to the most up to date source about exit numbers and things.

AsphaltPlanet

AsphaltPlanet

I've added a few photos to my old school website over the past few months.  Most of them are from California from last spring (or earlier).

Interstate 805 -- San Diego:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/CA/I/805/index.html

California Highway 85 -- San Jose:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/CA/CA/85/index.html

California Highway 46:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/CA/CA/46/index.html

Interstate 15, California:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/CA/I/15/index.html

Other recent updates:
http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/recent_updates.htm

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.