News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Retired MUTCD signs.

Started by RobbieL2415, September 01, 2019, 05:56:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobbieL2415

Specifically, any sign that has been completely deleted from the manual. Excludes text-to-pictogram changes and word changes, i.e. "Road Construction" to "Road Work".

Scott5114

The 2003 MUTCD had a bunch of special metric signs that were deleted in the 2009 MUTCD.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Revive 755

* The symbolic narrow bridge sign.
* The no turn on red signs similar to more standard symbolic no right/left turn signs.  Missouri still uses them though (example.
* The 'roundabout diagram' warning sign.  A couple newer ones have been installed in Missouri since their retirement/replacement in the MUTCD.
* The 'T-intersection' arrow plaque (post retirement example) and the version of the ahead and to the right arrow plaque with a stem continuing below the side arrow (post retirement example).
* The symbolic pavement ends sign.

roadman

The "MILE YY  EXIT XX" exit tabs.
Diagrammatic guide signs for cloverleaf interchanges.

Both introduced in the 1971 MUTCD, and deleted from the 1978 MUTCD.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Scott5114

Not a sign, but a 1971 MUTCD provision that got deleted that really should have been left in.

QuoteNumbered highways are not to be signed  as memorial routes. Where legislatures name highways or bridges, appropriate plaques may be erected in rest areas or at other appropriate points to recognize this designation, but the affected highways and bridges are not to be signed with memorial names for viewing by traffic.

Of course, now, every highway under the sun is festooned with "Trooper Lance Adjutant Major Corporal Officer Hamsnaggler V. "Clem" McBiggensdaleson, OHP, DDS Memorial Highway."

mrsman

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 20, 2019, 02:00:36 AM
Not a sign, but a 1971 MUTCD provision that got deleted that really should have been left in.

QuoteNumbered highways are not to be signed  as memorial routes. Where legislatures name highways or bridges, appropriate plaques may be erected in rest areas or at other appropriate points to recognize this designation, but the affected highways and bridges are not to be signed with memorial names for viewing by traffic.

Of course, now, every highway under the sun is festooned with "Trooper Lance Adjutant Major Corporal Officer Hamsnaggler V. "Clem" McBiggensdaleson, OHP, DDS Memorial Highway."

I totally agree with this.   It is a shame that many common names of the freeways (like "Golden State Freeway") are being phased out on signs, yet these names of people who may have been local heroes get promoted, even though nobody has ever heard of them.

hbelkins

State supplements can and do override the MUTCD, and I'm guessing this was the case before this clause's deletion. Do you know when it was removed?

This was an issue when I-26 was extended into Tennessee. I don't remember the specifics on the I-181 portion of US 23, but I do know that most every bridge between Johnson City and the North Carolina line was named for someone, with appropriate signs erected. When that portion of 23 was signed as 26, Tennessee said that it had to remove all those naming signs to comply with federal requirements.

Since then, West Virginia has been naming more and more bridges and interchanges after people, so obviously states' mileages vary.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadfro

Not completely eliminated, but at least in the 2009 MUTCD, it is guidance and not a standard. See Section 2M.10.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

bandit957

Is the yellow diamond "SLOW" sign retired? I used to see these a lot, but they were usually embossed, so I assumed they were from the 1950s or 1960s.

I think the problem with these signs is that they don't say how slow, or why.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

roadman

Quote from: bandit957 on September 26, 2019, 03:21:18 PM
Is the yellow diamond "SLOW" sign retired? I used to see these a lot, but they were usually embossed, so I assumed they were from the 1950s or 1960s.

I think the problem with these signs is that they don't say how slow, or why.

Apart from the STOP/SLOW paddle, which was first illustrated in the 1961 MUTCD, the yellow diamond SLOW sign has never appeared in any edition of the MUTCD.  Early editions of the MUTCD up until and including the 1942 "war emergency" edition made reference to "Slow-type" warning signs, but didn't show or reference an actual panel with the word SLOW on it.  Beginning with the 1948 edition, the warning sign section removed the 'slow-type signs' reference and was much more detailed regarding specific signs and typical locations.

Personally, I have never liked the SLOW sign for the reasons you stated.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

US71

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on September 01, 2019, 05:56:57 PM
Specifically, any sign that has been completely deleted from the manual. Excludes text-to-pictogram changes and word changes, i.e. "Road Construction" to "Road Work".

I want to say Limited Sight Distance was removed

Also the shield-shaped R and L were removed years ago
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

freebrickproductions

IIRC, the "Slow Children at Play" sign was in the MUTCD but was removed years ago. Hasn't stopped many municipalities from putting them up though...
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: o on December 07, 2019, 03:58:23 PM
IIRC, the "Slow Children at Play" sign was in the MUTCD but was removed years ago. Hasn't stopped many municipalities from putting them up though...
Some parents probably complained and misinterpreted it as an insult towards their own special, unique little shit machine.
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

Brian556

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on December 07, 2019, 04:14:21 PM
Some parents probably complained and misinterpreted it as an insult towards their own special, unique little shit machine.

I once knew a special ed teacher that wanted one for her classroom

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: Brian556 on December 07, 2019, 08:08:08 PM

Well, you are associated with a state DOT. You should get one made for her as some sort of good gesture.
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

freebrickproductions

IIRC, the official reason for removal was apparently because a study was done by the FHWA and found that they had little to no effect on driving behavior.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

US 89

Quote from: US71 on September 26, 2019, 03:52:42 PM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on September 01, 2019, 05:56:57 PM

I want to say Limited Sight Distance was removed

I seem to recall a discussion on this forum where it was stated that a sign conveying that message was not in the MUTCD, so several states began using a "Limited Sight Distance" sign. When the "Hill Blocks View" sign was added, the Limited Sight Distance sign became obsolete.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=11045.msg2444196#msg2444196

US71

Not retired per se, but modified would be the yellow diamond intersection signs.

At one time, the lower priority road would be a narrower line than the main road.  I've noticed over the years that no longer appears to be true. A few of the older signs are still out there, but they are gradually going away.

vdeane

Would you prefer that the highways and bridges get official name changes instead of just honorary ones like what's been happening in the NYC area?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Scott5114

In most of the cases in Oklahoma, the roads bearing these sort of signs don't have other names and are normally referred to by number. In other cases, the names apply to mundane overpasses and things of that nature that don't really need a unique name to begin with.

Since these names are applied by some combination of the state legislature or the Transportation Commission, they're effectively official name changes that are universally ignored by the traveling public.

Example 1 on I-40 in Del City
Example 2 two overpasses east of the previous one; of note is that this particular sign was the first Clearview sign in Oklahoma
Example 3 on some random stretch of I-35 between Goldsby and Purcell

US71

May not have been a MUTCD regulation, but a lot of Arkansas warning signs once had a message on the back

"Walk on Left Facing Traffic"

kphoger

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on December 07, 2019, 08:19:00 PM

Well, you are associated with a state DOT. You should get one made for her as some sort of good gesture.

Tax dollars at work...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on December 07, 2019, 08:19:00 PM

It's not that easy. Trust me.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman

Quote from: freebrickproductions on December 07, 2019, 03:58:23 PM
"Slow Children At Play" (and variations) has never been included in the MUTCD.

TheGrassGuy

There was a sign in NJ (thank you steve a) reading "Go children slow". How slow is "children slow".
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.