News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Bands that called it quits after a member died but should have kept playing

Started by roadman65, April 05, 2019, 10:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

We had bands that should have called it quits after a lead vocalist leaves, how bout one that is opposite.

I think Led Zeppelin should have continued after John Bonham died as they still could have made out big IMO.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

TheHighwayMan3561

Zeppelin seems a very rare case where the band flat out said "sorry, we can't do it anymore"  following a member's death and the remaining members played infrequently together following. Some bands, like Joy Division for one example just changed their name and continued. But most (Skynyrd, Who, AC/DC, et al.)just replaced the deceased member(s) and continued usually without the same presence.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

KEVIN_224

Look what happened with Dave Grohl after Nirvana ended and Kurt Cobain in 1994? At least he found major success. :)

Rothman

Dave Grohl has also done a good job at molding a public image of himself as a nice, good guy which has helped his popularity.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Flint1979

hbelkins

Jason Bonham has done an admirable job filling in for his dad whenever he's played with Zeppelin.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman65

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 05, 2019, 11:22:05 PM
Zeppelin seems a very rare case where the band flat out said "sorry, we can't do it anymore"  following a member's death and the remaining members played infrequently together following. Some bands, like Joy Division for one example just changed their name and continued. But most (Skynyrd, Who, AC/DC, et al.)just replaced the deceased member(s) and continued usually without the same presence.
Skynryd did not continue right away as it was years since they reunited.  Ditto for Little Feat who made the comeback with Craig Fuller in 1987 long after Lowell George died which is why they went on a hiatus.  Even with Fuller gone and Shawn Murphy at the front the band still made out despite the sound with a female lead over the male vocals of George and Fuller.

Now the Grateful Dead could have went on without Garcia, but IMO the Dead without Jerry is no dead at all.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Ned Weasel

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on April 06, 2019, 07:17:04 AM
Look what happened with Dave Grohl after Nirvana ended and Kurt Cobain in 1994? At least he found major success. :)

Dave Grohl after Nirvana is like Paul McCartney after The Beatles, except I'd argue the Foo Fighters are better than Wings.

Interesting timing, because the 25th anniversary of Kurt Cobain's death was two days ago.  I still wish he was still with us, even though Nirvana might have broken up anyway.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

abefroman329

Quote from: roadman65 on April 06, 2019, 10:19:19 PMNow the Grateful Dead could have went on without Garcia, but IMO the Dead without Jerry is no dead at all.
I think the various bands that have sprung up around former Dead members are perfectly good bands.  They are not the Grateful Dead, you are right, but good nevertheless.

I'm also almost positive that the remaining Dead members have played together, maybe even put out an album.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: abefroman329 on April 08, 2019, 09:26:20 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 06, 2019, 10:19:19 PMNow the Grateful Dead could have went on without Garcia, but IMO the Dead without Jerry is no dead at all.
I think the various bands that have sprung up around former Dead members are perfectly good bands.  They are not the Grateful Dead, you are right, but good nevertheless.

I'm also almost positive that the remaining Dead members have played together, maybe even put out an album.

They've put out a couple of live albums, but there was a final studio album that was in the works that never was released.  All have put out a couple of solo albums with side projects.  The most current incarnation that is a direct descendent is Dead & Company, which is Weir, the drummers (Hart and Kreutzmann), and John Mayer assuming the Jerry role.  This replaces Furthur, which was Weir, Lesh, and others.  The core got together for 5 shows (2 in Santa Clara and 3 in Chicago) in 2015 called Fare The Well with Trey Anastacio of Phish taking the Jerry parts.  I've heard some of Dead and Company's live recordings.  Weir's voice isn't quite what it used to be, but Mayer's guitar playing is pretty solid, though not quite the legendary level Jerry gave us.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

KeithE4Phx

The Who may have continued to be successful after Keith Moon died in 1978 (although I thought they should have called it quits), but after John Entwistle passed away in 2002, they definitely should have shut it down.

Speaking of ex-Who drummers, original drummer Doug Sandom died February 27, one day after his 89th birthday.  Doug who?  He was their drummer during their first record company auditions, but was fired when the producers said he was too old (34 at the time).  Moon joined a few weeks later.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

hotdogPi

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on April 08, 2019, 11:16:47 AM
The Who may have continued to be successful after Keith Moon died in 1978 (although I thought they should have called it quits), but after John Entwistle passed away in 2002, they definitely should have shut it down.

Speaking of ex-Who drummers, original drummer Doug Sandom died February 27, one day after his 89th birthday.  Doug who?  He was their drummer during their first record company auditions, but was fired when the producers said he was too old (34 at the time).  Moon joined a few weeks later.

This is the other thread.

You probably want this.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.