News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2020 meets

Started by A.J. Bertin, August 01, 2019, 09:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.J. Bertin

I edited our list for 2020 by removing the Fort Worth road meet because we've heard nothing about that at all in a few months. It doesn't seem like that's happening. I can always add it back in later if we're given an indication to the contrary.
-A.J. from Michigan

US71

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on October 29, 2019, 10:51:01 PM
I edited our list for 2020 by removing the Fort Worth road meet because we've heard nothing about that at all in a few months. It doesn't seem like that's happening. I can always add it back in later if we're given an indication to the contrary.

I was left with the impression that others were supposed to step up to the plate and help run things.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Alps

Quote from: US71 on October 29, 2019, 11:23:02 PM
Quote from: A.J. Bertin on October 29, 2019, 10:51:01 PM

I was left with the impression that others were supposed to step up to the plate and help run things.

I got the distinct impression that this one is just being left by the wayside in favor of a different Texas one.

A.J. Bertin

Right... people should plan and announce their own meets. All I'm trying to do is maintain an accurate list of the meets that others have announced for 2020. If any meet that was previously announced appears to have been dropped from discussion, I'm removing it from the list. It doesn't mean it can't be re-added, and it doesn't mean this list is the end-all-be-all.
-A.J. from Michigan

Rothman

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on October 30, 2019, 01:42:05 PM

Right... people should plan and announce their own meets. All I'm trying to do is maintain an accurate list of the meets that others have announced for 2020. If any meet that was previously announced appears to have been dropped from discussion, I'm removing it from the list. It doesn't mean it can't be re-added, and it doesn't mean it's the end-all-be-all.
I approve of this strategy.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Is Gene V. still planning to do a Texas meet next year? He's not a member here, so it's possible whatever he's been thinking about will supplant/substitute for this one.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on October 31, 2019, 01:07:32 PM
Is Gene V. still planning to do a Texas meet next year? He's not a member here, so it's possible whatever he's been thinking about will supplant/substitute for this one.

To my knowledge he is. May 9 is the date on it.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: US71 on October 31, 2019, 03:01:06 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on October 31, 2019, 01:07:32 PM

To my knowledge he is. May 9 is the date on it.

Yep... Gene's San Antonio meet is May 9. It's listed among the rest of the 2020 meets at the top of this thread, and a Facebook event was created for it several months ago.
-A.J. from Michigan

Nikolai

The next road meet I host will be Kansas City in October. I'll create a thread for it in the early spring.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Nikolai on November 04, 2019, 07:25:16 PM
The next road meet I host will be Kansas City in October. I'll create a thread for it in the early spring.

Nice! I'll be very interested in attending that one if I can. I'll add it to the main list at the top of this thread.
-A.J. from Michigan

US71

Holler at Gene VanDusseldorp: I think he's been talking about doing something, too.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Moving again?
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Nikolai

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on November 07, 2019, 06:40:08 PM
Moving again?
Nope, it's just a city I've been wanting to visit that has some interesting roads.

Alps

Quote from: Nikolai on November 07, 2019, 11:03:40 PM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on November 07, 2019, 06:40:08 PM
Moving again?
Nope, it's just a city I've been wanting to visit that has some interesting roads.
May wanna consult the local experts...

cl94

There's a lack of Northeast meets next year. Maybe have that April Fool's meet in Intercourse we've joked about for a while?  :-D

I could def throw something together in New York or New England, but we've covered this state pretty well and I don't know what there would be to see elsewhere, unless we revisited Binghamton or something.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vdeane

Quote from: cl94 on November 08, 2019, 07:36:12 PM
There's a lack of Northeast meets next year. Maybe have that April Fool's meet in Intercourse we've joked about for a while?  :-D
Like we wore tuxedos in Tuxedo, obviously in Intercourse we'll...

You know what, I think there was a reason why I remember reading about a meet proposed in Bird in Hand instead.

I could def throw something together in New York or New England, but we've covered this state pretty well and I don't know what there would be to see elsewhere, unless we revisited Binghamton or something.
There's a chance of Shrewsbury, though that might be in 2021.  There are fewer meets in this part of the country as it stands, though.  I'm actually planning to use that to my advantage, as my mutually contradictory goals of saving up my vacation time next year while also taking a longer vacation up in MontrĂ©al would be difficult to resolve otherwise.  That said, we might be due for a revisit of Binghamton.  The last meet there was in 2013, back when Phase 1 of the Kamikaze Curve job was still under construction.  A LOT has changed since then.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on November 08, 2019, 10:16:54 PM
[That said, we might be due for a revisit of Binghamton.  The last meet there was in 2013, back when Phase 1 of the Kamikaze Curve job was still under construction.  A LOT has changed since then.

Most of the Kamikaze Curve project should be open by summer. I want to say that all but 1 ramp is open already (will check when I'm through in a couple weeks). I'd just need to come up with other things to see that don't involve driving every ramp of the interchange...
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Alps

Quote from: cl94 on November 08, 2019, 11:55:22 PM
[That said, we might be due for a revisit of Binghamton.  The last meet there was in 2013, back when Phase 1 of the Kamikaze Curve job was still under construction.  A LOT has changed since then.

Most of the Kamikaze Curve project should be open by summer. I want to say that all but 1 ramp is open already (will check when I'm through in a couple weeks). I'd just need to come up with other things to see that don't involve driving every ramp of the interchange...
we could visit every spiedie restaurant

dgolub

Quote from: noelbotevera on August 14, 2019, 01:29:31 PM
I guess that building upon the foundation that was Pittsburgh gave me some ideas for some meets. Here's a short list I've compiled:

-CSVT Round 2 (expanding upon Jason Ilyes' tour, essentially a visual construction update)
-State College (would be co-hosting with someone outside of the forum; primarily covers the Potters Mills freeway gap and I-80/I-99 interchange, going beyond the 2003/2004 meet)
-Washington, DC (last one was 2011; while close, I'm sure the 2011 meet covered most of everything, and it'd be trickier to plan this out)
-Philadelphia (I don't think there was ever a Philly meet, unless it was before I was born/I've never heard about it - some were interested, so it might have merit)
-PA Covered Bridges tour (probably would cover Bedford, Fulton, and Franklin counties; would be new territory for most people, as people rarely take US 30 east of Breezewood)

All of the above would be of interest to me.  Any meets held in these places date back to before I started attending meets.

dgolub

I'm planning to do a meet centering on the Long Island Rail Road Third Track project.  It'll be as much trains as roads, but nonetheless it's a major project that deserves a meet.  I haven't decided on when yet, but next summer is a possibility.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: dgolub on November 09, 2019, 08:59:41 AM
I'm planning to do a meet centering on the Long Island Rail Road Third Track project.  It'll be as much trains as roads, but nonetheless it's a major project that deserves a meet.  I haven't decided on when yet, but next summer is a possibility.

Cool! This meet has been added to the list at the top of this thread.
-A.J. from Michigan

74/171FAN

There's a chance of Shrewsbury, though that might be in 2021.  There are fewer meets in this part of the country as it stands, though.  I'm actually planning to use that to my advantage, as my mutually contradictory goals of saving up my vacation time next year while also taking a longer vacation up in MontrĂ©al would be difficult to resolve otherwise.  That said, we might be due for a revisit of Binghamton.  The last meet there was in 2013, back when Phase 1 of the Kamikaze Curve job was still under construction.  A LOT has changed since then.

I was thinking about Shrewsbury the other day and was unsure of what we would do outside of the DDI in Shrewsbury.  We could obviously revisit the I-83/PA 124 interchange (that I hope is finally done then) and drive under the two one-lane railroad underpasses on PA 616.  Beyond that, I am unsure of what Jason was considering to do there.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

vdeane

Quote from: cl94 on November 08, 2019, 11:55:22 PM

You could be spontaneous and make the tour up as we drive along!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

baugh17

I am playing with the idea of another Utica meet in the spring (small scale - nothing extravagant)...This time, it would focus on the Oriskany St. (NY 5S) reconstruction project in downtown as well as checking out the old Erie Canal bridges in western Oneida County between Rome and Sylvan Beach.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: baugh17 on November 10, 2019, 10:14:46 PM
I am playing with the idea of another Utica meet in the spring (small scale - nothing extravagant)...This time, it would focus on the Oriskany St. (NY 5S) reconstruction project in downtown as well as checking out the old Erie Canal bridges in western Oneida County between Rome and Sylvan Beach.

Nice... I've added this one to the main list as well. I would love a reason to visit Utica NY but it's doubtful I'll be able to make it with all the other meets I'm planning on attending next year.
-A.J. from Michigan

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.