News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

AHTD considering a new name

Started by froggie, January 09, 2017, 10:33:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: Henry on April 28, 2017, 09:13:36 AM
DOT is so generic! There are states who get very creative, like AHTD, which is unfortunately going away.

As of, like 20 years or so ago, it was maybe not as used. But now, it's generic.
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

J N Winkler

I am frankly more concerned about what happens to the website parent URL than with the agency name.  A rearrangement of the letters floating in the alphabet soup is one thing; however, if their website is no longer going to be at arkansashighways.com, then I have downloader scripts that need to be revised.  My experience with a similar name change in New Mexico (NMSHTD to NMDOT) is that the change will occur well after the actual name change, at a seemingly random time, with no advance warning.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Also, are they moving toward this or is it just classic talk by AHTD, just like talk about tolling I-40? I love how they overly talk about something and then just stop, and then something happens!  :clap:  :banghead:

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jakeroot

DOT is so generic! There are states who get very creative, like AHTD, which is unfortunately going away.

Specifically with NDOR, they had to change the name because they handled more than roads.

AHTD could keep the same name (because transportation is still in the name), but perhaps they're looking for some more 21st-century (something implying "we do more than just roads").

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: jakeroot on April 28, 2017, 01:48:28 PM

Specifically with NDOR, they had to change the name because they handled more than roads.

AHTD could keep the same name (because transportation is still in the name), but perhaps they're looking for some more 21st-century (something implying "we do more than just roads").

That's all they do though...

jakeroot

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on April 28, 2017, 02:01:28 PM

It appears that they also are involved with public transportation (according to the wiki page), but I'm not certain.

WSDOT handles a lot more than roads. They also run the ferry system, create public transportation plans, run the Amtrak train between Vancouver and Portland, amongst other things.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: jakeroot on April 28, 2017, 02:48:46 PM

It appears that they also are involved with public transportation (according to the wiki page), but I'm not certain.

WSDOT handles a lot more than roads. They also run the ferry system, create public transportation plans, run the Amtrak train between Vancouver and Portland, amongst other things.

No. AHTD is not responsible for public transportation, they leave that up to the city. For example: Little Rock, Pulaski County Rock Regional Metro or the Central Arkansas Transit Authority is directly responsible for transportation around the Central Arkansas region.

The 'Transportation' aspect of AHTD is engineering the state and interstate highways of Arkansas, and general planning as such.

kphoger

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on April 28, 2017, 03:39:27 PM

No. AHTD is not responsible for public transportation, they leave that up to the city. For example: Little Rock, Pulaski County Rock Regional Metro or the Central Arkansas Transit Authority is directly responsible for transportation around the Central Arkansas region.

The 'Transportation' aspect of AHTD is engineering the state and interstate highways of Arkansas, and general planning as such.

Then why do they state:

Quote from: Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department–Transportation Planning & Policy Division
The Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department (AHTD) has been designated as the recipient of Federal Transit Administration (FTA) programs [formerly known as the Urban Mass Transportation Administration (UMTA)] for the purpose of administering those funds in accordance with State and Federal laws, statutes, and regulations.  The Public Transportation Programs Section provides day-to-day oversight, technical assistance, and fiscal management of FTA programs. 

The Transit Section is responsible for administering and monitoring federal and state transit programs. Through these programs Transit Section staff provides technical and financial assistance to local agencies and governments involved in special transportation and intercity passenger service.  Transportation, especially in our rural areas, is literally a lifeline to much of our state's population. The Department's goal is to help Arkansans live an independent, quality lifestyle by assisting organizations in providing safe and reliable transportation.

And why do they employ...

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: kphoger on April 28, 2017, 04:03:20 PM

Then why do they state:

Quote from: Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department—Transportation Planning & Policy Division
The Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department (AHTD) has been designated as the recipient of Federal Transit Administration (FTA) programs [formerly known as the Urban Mass Transportation Administration (UMTA)] for the purpose of administering those funds in accordance with State and Federal laws, statutes, and regulations.  The Public Transportation Programs Section provides day-to-day oversight, technical assistance, and fiscal management of FTA programs. 

The Transit Section is responsible for administering and monitoring federal and state transit programs. Through these programs Transit Section staff provides technical and financial assistance to local agencies and governments involved in special transportation and intercity passenger service.  Transportation, especially in our rural areas, is literally a lifeline to much of our state's population. The Department's goal is to help Arkansans live an independent, quality lifestyle by assisting organizations in providing safe and reliable transportation.

And why do they employ...

They may assist, but they do not provide city transit. They leave that to whatever city organization over it's transportation. I had an email:

QuoteThank you for your interest in the Department’s 30 Crossing project.  As a Design-Build project, 30 Crossing will go through an 18 month procurement process before a Design-Build Agreement is executed.  We anticipate beginning the procurement process late this spring which will result in a late 2018 date for an executed Agreement.  Once the Agreement is executed, the Design-Builder will need to finish up final design prior to beginning construction.  We anticipate construction activities to begin sometime in the first half of 2019 and be completed by the end of 2023.

Numerous deficiencies on the 30 Crossing corridor have been identified and are documented in the Purpose and Need statement of the 30 Crossing Planning and Environmental Linkages (PEL) Study which can be viewed at the following web address https://connectingarkansasprogram.com/interstate-30-pel-report.  The primary deficiencies are mobility, safety (both highway and navigational), roadway structure and function, and bridge structure and function.  The age of this facility as well as the outdated design characteristics, increasing congestion levels, and safety concerns have made improvements to this corridor a high priority for both the Department and the local MPO for many years.  Funding made available through the Connecting Arkansas Program (a ½ cent sales tax for highways approved by voters in 2012) has provided the first opportunity for sufficient funding to address the majority of these deficiencies in a single project.  By addressing these deficiencies now, the improvements can be made as quickly and cost effectively as possible.  If deferred to a later date, the existing funding would not be available and improvements would have to be implemented as funding becomes available and would most likely be broken into numerous different projects stretched out over a 10 to 20 year time period.

Many improvement options were considered during the PEL and are documented in that Study.  Other modes of transportation including improved bus service and light rail were explored.  The transit study showed that even under the best case scenarios transit would not solve the mobility and safety deficiencies in the corridor and of course would do nothing to resolve the structural and functional deficiencies of the corridor.  It is also important to note that the responsibility for transit planning, funding, and operations is primarily the responsibility of the local transit agency which for Central Arkansas is Rock Region Metro.

There are currently no plans to implement tolling on Little Rock freeways, however tolling is always a possibility for future improvements if sufficient support exists for such an initiative.  The Department and MetroPlan have agreed to partner on a regional HOT lanes study to determine the feasibility of the use of HOT lanes to address future congestion on the freeway system.  This study has not yet begun.  30 Crossing is essentially a large extended intersection as it consists of four freeway system interchanges and numerous other high volume arterial intersections in a 7-mile section.  For this reason, it is not a good candidate for HOT lanes.  However, any improvements made to I-30 under the 30 Crossing project would not prevent the implementation of HOT lanes in areas of the Central Arkansas freeway system that are most benefited by such lanes.
~ Benjermin Browning, District 6 Engineer 2016

The above in red, would suggest AHTD does not partake in city transit, rather leaves it to the city planners.

bjrush

c5

What about Razorback Transit and Ozark Regional Transit?
Woo Pig Sooie

US71

ARDOT will be the new name

SM-G930V

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kphoger

Quote from: US71 on April 30, 2017, 10:32:01 PM

Which, as an acronym, will sound like RDOT.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US71

Quote from: kphoger on May 01, 2017, 01:09:51 PM
Quote from: US71 on April 30, 2017, 10:32:01 PM

Which, as an acronym, will sound like RDOT.

That's OUR dot, not your dot

ColossalBlocks

I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: bjrush on April 29, 2017, 07:58:16 PM

c5

I don't know how well that communicates the message of a state transportation department agency.

US71

Quote from: bjrush on April 29, 2017, 07:58:16 PM

FAIL.  :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

TheArkansasRoadgeek

When is the name set or expected to change? Any further details regarding this matter?

US71

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on May 09, 2017, 09:11:54 AM
When is the name set or expected to change? Any further details regarding this matter?

I've heard July and I've heard end of the year

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: US71 on May 09, 2017, 09:20:06 AM
Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on May 09, 2017, 09:11:54 AM

I've heard July and I've heard end of the year

Well, I guess we'll see when we see! I hope they do it at the year's end rather than right in the middle of it! Oh wait! Most of us refer to it as 'The Highway Department', so I don't think anyone will be phased by this either aburped or gradual transition.

Road Hog

Can AHTD just change its name at the drop of a hat? Doesn't it require legislative action, possibly even a constitutional amendment?

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: Road Hog on May 09, 2017, 12:50:27 PM
Can AHTD just change its name at the drop of a hat? Doesn't it require legislative action, possibly even a constitutional amendment?

I would not know if the state transportation designation is within our state constitution, but it will require legislative action.

bjrush

Apparently most of you are ignorant of how public transit works in Arkansas. Let me spell it out for you

QuoteThe Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department (Department) became actively involved in transit programs with the passage
of Arkansas Act 192 of 1977. This Act gave the Department responsibilities for administering public transportation programs in Arkansas.
From this Act, the Department became involved with the Section 5310: Enhanced Mobility of Seniors and Individuals with Disabilities and
the Section 5311: Rural Areas Public Transportation programs. During the late 1970's and early 1980's, the Department established seven
rural transit systems and funded vehicles for non‐profit human service agencies providing transportation service to seniors and the
disabled. Today there are eight urbanized and nine rural public transit systems providing service in Arkansas. In addition, approximately
200 human service agencies receive funds through the Department to support transportation services to seniors, persons with disabilities
and persons seeking employment opportunities.
Since 1965, Arkansas' transit agencies have received approximately $603 million of FTA/FHWA funds to support transit planning, training,
capital, administrative, and operating activities. Further, approximately $198 million of State and local funds have contributed to transit
operations in the State of Arkansas.

So yes the AHTD is involved with transit.

For the record, Razorback Transit and Ozark Regional Transit are the names of two transit authorities in Arkansas. They weren't suggestions for renaming AHTD. Of course you would know that if you had some knowledge about transit in this state
Woo Pig Sooie

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: bjrush on May 11, 2017, 10:56:58 PM
Apparently most of you are ignorant of how public transit works in Arkansas. Let me spell it out for you

QuoteThe Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department (Department) became actively involved in transit programs with the passage
of Arkansas Act 192 of 1977. This Act gave the Department responsibilities for administering public transportation programs in Arkansas.
From this Act, the Department became involved with the Section 5310: Enhanced Mobility of Seniors and Individuals with Disabilities and
the Section 5311: Rural Areas Public Transportation programs. During the late 1970’s and early 1980’s, the Department established seven
rural transit systems and funded vehicles for non‐profit human service agencies providing transportation service to seniors and the
disabled. Today there are eight urbanized and nine rural public transit systems providing service in Arkansas. In addition, approximately
200 human service agencies receive funds through the Department to support transportation services to seniors, persons with disabilities
and persons seeking employment opportunities.
Since 1965, Arkansas’ transit agencies have received approximately $603 million of FTA/FHWA funds to support transit planning, training,
capital, administrative, and operating activities. Further, approximately $198 million of State and local funds have contributed to transit
operations in the State of Arkansas.

So yes the AHTD is involved with transit.

For the record, Razorback Transit and Ozark Regional Transit are the names of two transit authorities in Arkansas. They weren't suggestions for renaming AHTD. Of course you would know that if you had some knowledge about transit in this state

Not to call ignorance, just misinformed, I emailed AHTD (D-6) in regards to I-30 Expansion and the respose said that they did not directly influence public transport within Little Rock, so why would they throughout the rest of the state?

QuoteMany improvement options were considered during the PEL and are documented in that Study.  Other modes of transportation including improved bus service and light rail were explored.  The transit study showed that even under the best case scenarios transit would not solve the mobility and safety deficiencies in the corridor and of course would do nothing to resolve the structural and functional deficiencies of the corridor.  It is also important to note that the responsibility for transit planning, funding, and operations is primarily the responsibility of the local transit agency which for Central Arkansas is Rock Region Metro. - Email Excerpt from AHTD,
Referenced: I-30 Litttle Rock Lane Expansion

I do believe the poster who referenced Razorback Transit was actually suggesting it for the redesignation of the AHTD and please, chill on being a know-it-all, as some (me) like to contribute to topics to also inform and be informed, but not to or try not to (rather) misinform users. Thanks!

US71

Ease up on the name calling, everyone.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.