News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Will a 2 digit interstate ever be decomissioned? And can it be done?

Started by Roadgeekteen, December 02, 2022, 01:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SEWIGuy

Quote from: GaryV on December 06, 2022, 11:58:39 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on December 06, 2022, 11:55:52 AM
Or you could keep it I-99, because there is nothing wrong with the number.
You risk being labeled an anti-gridder.

I would wear that label proudly!

hbelkins

I'm going to revert back to my standard, long-held thoughts on the matter: The original corridor, from Cumberland to Corning, is definitely deserving of a two-digit number. Even though the portion from Cumberland to Bedford is no longer on the books, the rest (Bedford to Corning) is deserving of 2di status. The only number available that comes close to the grid is 99. In fact, I'm on record as being in favor of I-99 taking over I-390 from I-86 to at least the Thruway, if not all the way to I-490.

There are all sorts of other grid violations that are equally worthy of righteous anger if I-99 bothers someone.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

MultiMillionMiler

What about I-67? Much closer to the grid. Even I-73 would serve that corridor much better than what it currently is.

kphoger

Can a highway whose number is legislatively defined even be renumbered?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: kphoger on December 06, 2022, 02:11:28 PM

Did the legislation specify that it had to remain I-99 for any period of time?
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: hbelkins on December 06, 2022, 12:10:05 PM

I'm going to revert back to my standard, long-held thoughts on the matter: The original corridor, from Cumberland to Corning, is definitely deserving of a two-digit number. Even though the portion from Cumberland to Bedford is no longer on the books, the rest (Bedford to Corning) is deserving of 2di status. The only number available that comes close to the grid is 99. In fact, I'm on record as being in favor of I-99 taking over I-390 from I-86 to at least the Thruway, if not all the way to I-490.

There are all sorts of other grid violations that are equally worthy of righteous anger if I-99 bothers someone.

I-99 should either be designated an x80, x76, or have no interstate number altogether. There is absolutely no excuse for that atrocity. Besides, the tiny stretch in NYS would violate route duplication, as I have a better I-99 planned for Queens and NJ.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 06, 2022, 02:06:07 PM
What about I-67? Much closer to the grid. Even I-73 would serve that corridor much better than what it currently is.

I-99 serves it fine.

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on December 06, 2022, 02:13:23 PM

No, but even if it did, they aren't going to change it.  Why would they?

WillWeaverRVA

The legislation expressly states the corridor is I-99, so the only way to change the number is through another act of Congress that repeals that provision, which is horribly unlikely to happen.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

kphoger

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on December 06, 2022, 02:44:36 PM

The legislation expressly states the corridor is I-99, so the only way to change the number is through another act of Congress that repeals that provision, which is horribly unlikely to happen.

That's what I was getting at.  It isn't as simple as sending a request letter to AASHTO.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Flint1979

What does a route's number have to do with how well it serves an area?

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Flint1979 on December 06, 2022, 02:53:38 PM

It doesn't, and based on his FritzOwl-esque "plan" for I-99, I don't think he really cares.

I-99 is here to stay whether we like the number or not, the only things I wish would happen would be for a freeway-to-freeway interchange with I-70/76 (which is not likely to happen because PTC) and for it to connect to the I-99 piece in NY (which is not likely to happen, period).
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Flint1979

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on December 06, 2022, 03:57:53 PM

It doesn't, and based on his FritzOwl-esque "plan" for I-99, I don't think he really cares.

I-99 is here to stay whether we like the number or not, the only things I wish would happen would be for a freeway-to-freeway interchange with I-70/76 (which is not likely to happen because PTC) and for it to connect to the I-99 piece in NY (which is not likely to happen, period).
I honestly don't mind I-99. I know where it is and that it's there so that's just the route number for it honestly I don't think that there's another route number that could have been used there and still fit the grid.

Flint1979

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 06, 2022, 04:06:13 PM

The number doesn't serve the interstate well. It should be east of I-95.
So what? Is the highway going to be any different if it has a different route number? Changing route numbers just for the sake of changing route numbers doesn't make any sense.

MultiMillionMiler

It's not even a continuous interstate, and the stretch in NY makes it harder to build a new I-99 bypass of NYC that's actually needed (I have these posted in my MMM thread) because of route duplication. It's not like they had no other choice of numbers. Literally any x80 would have sufficed. And there are numbers much closer to fitting the grid, such as 67, 73..etc, so why did they go out of their way to give it such a bizarre number.

hotdogPi

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 06, 2022, 04:11:43 PM
and the stretch in NY makes it harder to build a new I-99 bypass of NYC that's actually needed (I have these posted in my MMM thread) because of route duplication

Numbering doesn't make a physical road impossible to build.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

MultiMillionMiler

Yeah but what would the new one become then? Decommissioning the PA one is a small price to pay for the actual east coast corridor that's needed. The new one, especially with the Breezy Point-Sandy Hook Bay Bridge, will need much more federal funding. Route 15 is good enough for Pennsylvania. I-99 is a good example of a 2di that should be Decommissioned for the purpose of building better, much more needed interstate highways. The same thing should happen to I-97 in Maryland, and use that to build a new I-97 between I-95 and I-99 in Delaware.

MATraveler128

It's not even a continous interstate, and the stretch in NY makes it harder to build a new I-99 bypass of NYC that's actually needed (I have these posted in my MMM thread) because of route duplication. It's not like they had no other choice of numbers. Literally any x80 would have sufficed. And there are numbers much closer to fitting the grid, such as 67, 73..etc, so why did they go out of their way to give it such a bizarre number.

It could have been a 3di of either I-70, 76, or 80, but Bud Shuster gave it the 99 number because of a streetcar in his hometown of Altoona, PA. The extension into New York came later and it was originally supposed to extend down to I-68 in Cumberland, MD.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Evan_Th

I'll defend how MultiMillionMiler is speaking here.  The number "serves the corridor" better because it applies better by the grid; and it "makes it harder to build a new I-99 bypass" as a figure of speech in that it makes it harder to assign I-99 to that bypass.

I don't support his actual plans for that I-99 bypass, but that's another question.

kphoger

The number doesn't serve the interstate well.

It serves it just fine.  They're all just numbers anyway.  The number 703 would serve it just as well.  The only purpose of a route number is so people know what road to turn on.

It should be east of I-95.

In a perfect world, I suppose.  Oh, well.

It's not even a continuous interstate

That's the real problem.

Quote from: Evan_Th on December 06, 2022, 04:26:15 PM
I'll defend how MultiMillionMiler is speaking here ... and it "makes it harder to build a new I-99 bypass" as a figure of speech in that it makes it harder to assign I-99 to that bypass.

If it's really a bypass, then shouldn't it be a 3di anyway?
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Evan_Th on December 06, 2022, 04:26:15 PM
I'll defend how MultiMillionMiler is speaking here.  The number "serves the corridor" better because it applies better by the grid; and it "makes it harder to build a new I-99 bypass" as a figure of speech in that it makes it harder to assign I-99 to that bypass.

I don't support his actual plans for that I-99 bypass, but that's another question.

The grid is an anachronism.  You could put I-7 on a New York bypass and it would be fine.

MultiMillionMiler

No, it bypasses almost every major city on the east coast, with the exception of Norfolk Virginia, if that counts. At one point I considered extending my I-99 across long island and up 395 (sound crossing) so this entire route could have one designation, but it would make an unnecessary concurrency with I-495 (which becomes I-80 in my plans). But it would likely benefit NYC the most, since not only would there be a shortcut from Long Island to Jersey, but it would avoid all the city  traffic on the belt parkway, lower manhattan, staten island, GWB, I-278, Newark, Jersey City...etc. You fly through the rockaways, over the bay, and end up at the Garden State parkway south of all the traffic. Definitely worth the decommissioning of the silly I-99 in PA.

kphoger

Your dream highway could be numbered I-67 with no ill effect.

Please move this conversation to your own fiction thread.
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 06, 2022, 04:54:53 PM
I know, I just brought it up because it is an argument of why the PA I-99 should be decommissioned. Avoidance of route duplication is an essential reason why certain 2di should lose their designation, not just because of the conditions of the road. That was my main point. This would still apply even if the number was just changed.

So which is it?  You want I-99 to be a 3di instead, or you want its I- status removed entirely?
Male pronouns, please.

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: kphoger on December 06, 2022, 04:55:53 PM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 06, 2022, 04:54:53 PM
I know, I just brought it up because it is an argument of why the PA I-99 should be decommissioned. Avoidance of route duplication is an essential reason why certain 2di should lose their designation, not just because of the conditions of the road. That was my main point. This would still apply even if the number was just changed.

So which is it?  You want I-99 to be a 3di instead, or you want its I- status removed entirely?

Either Or. I think it deserves an interstate designation as it is long enough and will pass through 2 states once completed. 3di would be slightly preferable in my opinion.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.