Speed limits for 2-lane undivided

Started by geek11111, March 24, 2023, 12:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geek11111

Why do some 2-lane undivided roads has speed limit 70 (and even 75)?
I don't think anyone, unless looking for trouble, may go more than 60 at night on these roads.
Ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
Dlaoooooooooooooooooooooo

kphoger

You're obviously talking about Texas.  Did you mean to post this in General Highway Talk?

Quote from: geek11111 on March 24, 2023, 12:26:14 PM
Why do some 2-lane undivided roads has speed limit 70 (and even 75)?

Because the state legislation that allows 75 mph speed limits in Texas does not differentiate between classifications of highway:  they're all just highways, legally speaking.  Therefore, it applies to two-lane highways just as it does to four-lane highways.

Quote from: geek11111 on March 24, 2023, 12:26:14 PM
I don't think anyone, unless looking for trouble, may go more than 60 at night on these roads.

Depending on which part of the state you're in, and what time of year, anything above 55 will bag you a deer.

But, anyway, nobody's forcing you to drive over 60 at night.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

I must've have been looking for a shit load of trouble over the years then.

froggie

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 24, 2023, 12:55:05 PM

You just haven't paid your "bill" yet...

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on March 24, 2023, 12:46:50 PM
You're obviously talking about Texas.  Did you mean to post this in General Highway Talk?

To be fair, Texas is so huge that maybe the OP isn't aware that 75 mph on two-lane undivided roads is unique to Texas. And aren't there other states that have 70 mph, or am I misremembering...?

That said, I don't think it should be unique to Texas. 70 mph would be perfectly fine here, for example, where 55 mph feels like crawling.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: froggie on March 24, 2023, 02:12:02 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 24, 2023, 12:55:05 PM

You just haven't paid your "bill" yet...

Perhaps, some of those open range two lane highways with 70 MPH plus speed limits get your attention at night. 

Brandon

Quote from: webny99 on March 24, 2023, 02:23:48 PM
Quote from: kphoger on March 24, 2023, 12:46:50 PM

To be fair, Texas is so huge that maybe the OP isn't aware that 75 mph on two-lane undivided roads is unique to Texas. And aren't there other states that have 70 mph, or am I misremembering...?

That said, I don't think it should be unique to Texas. 70 mph would be perfectly fine here, for example, where 55 mph feels like crawling.

Yes, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, and Oregon all have rural undivided speed limits of 70 mph.  75 mph is unique to Texas.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

TheHighwayMan3561

I really wish Iowa, Illinois, and Wisconsin would go to 60 or 65 for 2-lane roads.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kphoger

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 24, 2023, 04:18:35 PM
I really wish Iowa, Illinois, and Wisconsin would go to 60 or 65 for 2-lane roads.

Yeah, even 60 is somewhat reasonable in that part of the country.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

geek11111

You mean they should be slowed down from like 65-70?
Ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
Dlaoooooooooooooooooooooo

HighwayStar

70-75 on a 2 lane is perfectly reasonable in the western states where there are wide open spaces with many miles between intersections of any significance.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: geek11111 on March 24, 2023, 06:30:13 PM

No, they're capped at 55 and should be allowed to go higher (in my opinion). My state of Minnesota has increased most rural 2-lane mileage from 55 to 60 over the last decade after the state mandated studying 55 MPH roads for potential speed increases.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Mapmikey

bugo

Some Texas 2 lane highways have wide shoulders, and Texas drivers are well-known for pulling over and letting you by if you wanted to go faster than them. If everybody would drive that way and all 2 lane roads had wide shoulders, this would be an acceptable alternative to 4 lane highways in certain situations, but it probably wouldn't save a whole lot of money in the long run.

I-55

In most of the Great Lakes states (excluding northern Michigan), 2-lane undivided highways are capped at 55 mph. Most states that have 65+ mph allowable on 2-lane routes also include Mountain time.

I had a bit of a chuckle reading this as in Iowa and Indiana, at least, non-interstate freeways are capped at 65 despite interstates being 70. We have a little more to cover before we get to raising 2-lane speed limits beyond our current freeway speeds.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

Roadgeekteen

Because these roads are often straight and in the middle of nowhere, with no driveways, traffic lights, or any distruptions. Also for night, you are supposed to lower your speed to match conditions, which could mean slowing down below the speed limit at night. The speed limit is meant to be under ideal conditions.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

GaryV

I could post that the speed limits on 2-lane rural roads should be 59 or 67 or 73. But I wouldn't do that.  :-D

Ted$8roadFan

It depends on the location of the 2-lane undivided roads. Here in New England, the speed limit on many seems to be 55 (although the de facto speed limit is higher for many drivers). Given the relatively dense population and age of the roads and communities, it probably shouldn't be much higher, although this depends on the specific location.

Brandon

Believe it or not, not everywhere is like Texas.  Most states to the east and northeast of Texas have 55 mph limits on two-lane roads.

The table here is pretty accurate: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_in_the_United_States
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

thspfc

55 is fine for Wisconsin. It's not a plains state - the terrain is more rolly and curvy, and therefore the roads are as well. In addition, due to higher population density, two lane roads are busier on average here than they are in states where the limit is above 55 on two lane roads.

JoePCool14

Quote from: thspfc on March 25, 2023, 07:47:13 AM
55 is fine for Wisconsin. It's not a plains state - the terrain is more rolly and curvy, and therefore the roads are as well. In addition, due to higher population density, two lane roads are busier on average here than they are in states where the limit is above 55 on two lane roads.

I second this. Maybe certain segments could be 60 or 65, but once you get into rural enough regions to justify it, you're more likely to hit a deer.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

TEG24601

It all comes down to quality of the road, line of sight, and entrances.  There are a lot of places where it makes sense, with enough clear space.  But then again, a speed limit should be the speed at which 85% of drivers are comfortable driving.  So if you have a 55 MPH road with lots of people doing 70, maybe make it 65, adjust some of the clearances and run-off, and be better off for everyone.  Especially, because then people expecting one sort of speed, aren't blindsided by an entirely different speed.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

SEWIGuy

There are some highways in northern Wisconsin (WI-13 for instance) that could be higher, but by and large you are correct.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on March 25, 2023, 07:15:23 AM
It depends on the location of the 2-lane undivided roads. Here in New England, the speed limit on many seems to be 55 (although the de facto speed limit is higher for many drivers). Given the relatively dense population and age of the roads and communities, it probably shouldn't be much higher, although this depends on the specific location.
Select stretches of 2 lane roads, especially in Maine, could be 60-65 but for most of New England 55 is more than enough. Some New England states won't even post 55 on 2 lane roads.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

SD Mapman

Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 25, 2023, 10:18:47 AM

I second this. Maybe certain segments could be 60 or 65, but once you get into rural enough regions to justify it, you're more likely to hit a deer.
Well and you guys have all those trees, which makes it hard to see anything. The further west you go, the fewer trees (on average) are next to the road, which allows for earlier wildlife spotting.

As mentioned earlier, WY has 70-mph two lane roads (which is nice), but sometimes it doesn't line up nicely at state lines. Old US 14 at the SD/WY border jumps from 55 (the SD maximum for county roads) to 70 with no real difference in roadway design (except WY kept the wide shoulders from the US 14 days, would have liked Lawrence County to do that too instead of narrowing the shoulder when they repaved it back in the early 2000s but that's a personal pet peeve). I have not personally seen anyone really slow down at the border heading back from Beulah on my runs/bike rides.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.