News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Starved Rock Road Meet - May 17, 2014

Started by Brandon, September 28, 2013, 11:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

I've decided on a date for the Starved Rock/Illinois Valley road meet after consideration and input from others.  The meet will be on May 17, 2014 about 11:30 am CDT at the Starved Rock Lodge, Starved Rock State Park, Utica, Illinois.  There's a nice, but inexpensive restaurant there that overlooks the rock and was built in the 1930s by the Civilian Conservation Corps.

The tour will consist of:
The bridges of the Illinois Valley from Spring Valley to Ottawa,
The AASHO Test Loop along I-80,
The Starved Rock Lock and Dam ( at the park), and
Other assorted odds and ends from a tight cloverleaf at IL-251 and US-6 to non-standard signage.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Alps

Way. Too. Early. to start RSVPing. I will be going out West somewhere around that time, but I haven't even finished taking this year's vacations. Unlikely, but not impossible.

hbelkins

Too early to commit, for sure. But I'd definitely be interested.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

corco

I'll do my best to make this meet because I'd really like to- this sounds like a fantastic place to have a roadmeet and it's within reasonable (two long day) driving distance of Montana.  I'm almost definitely going to go to the national meet in New York, so it'll just depend on whether I have the financial resources to make both happen.

Molandfreak

No guarantees, but I am out of school by then! I could make the trek if nothing arises. Definitely possible for me. ;-)
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

jpi

Like HB said... If I have no toy shows and can afford it and take Friday off, will see :-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

A.J. Bertin

I'm planning on attending this unless something major comes up that particular weekend which prevents me from going. This will be fun!
-A.J. from Michigan

JMoses24

Quote from: hbelkins on September 29, 2013, 01:29:06 PM
Too early to commit, for sure. But I'd definitely be interested.

As would I, for sure. But can't entirely commit just yet.

jpi

I know this is 5 months out but am seriously considering this meet. This would be my BIG county clinching road trip of 2014 since I don't plan on going out west this year. It would more then likely be me solo since Steph may not have the time off from here job. I also plan on getting a "missing link" I now have on I-80 from west of Joliet, IL to Iowa City, IA and get some more mileage on US 30
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Laura

I won't be able to go because my cousin's wedding is that day.

getemngo

Count me in... as long as we can clinch I-180.  :nod:
~ Sam from Michigan

Brandon

Quote from: getemngo on February 13, 2014, 04:09:20 PM
Count me in... as long as we can clinch I-180.  :nod:

I think we can manage that.  :cool:
Not like it's all that long, or that far away.  There's the old road nearby, but the bridge stubs are pretty much gone.

I've got a whole series of road meets planned for the future that concentrate on smaller areas of both Illinois and Indiana, i.e. not Chicago (even though one will be in Chicago).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Brandon

I did some recon yesterday to see how much could be seen from the vantage points.  For those of you interested, here's the website of the park: http://www.starvedrockstatepark.org/

74/171FAN

I actually graduate from college that day so I will not make it.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

okroads

I'm going to try to make this meet.

hbelkins

This is 98 percent unlikely for me.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Duke87

Might be a consideration were I not making my own trip to Chicago in August. But because of that, this is too redundant to be worth taking time off for.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

A.J. Bertin

I'm really looking forward to this meet. It should be fun! :)
-A.J. from Michigan

Alps

I don't really have a day to take off, so I'd be flying out Friday evening or even Saturday morning. Considering it.

EDIT: Doing it. Why not.

JMoses24

I'd forgotten this was happening, and booked a trip to the northeast leaving on the 15th. Damn.

okroads

Quote from: okroads on April 05, 2014, 11:13:07 AM
I'm going to try to make this meet.

My time off has been approved and I will be at this meet unless anything unexpected happens.

jpi

Same here! I am officialy going! :-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

getemngo

A lot of folks on the Facebook event are concerned about lodging. Just a heads up, Cody says that the Starved Rock Lodge isn't available one of the nights that weekend (he didn't say which).

Me, I'm likely staying somewhere in Indiana on Friday night, and either with Chicago-area friends or driving all the way home on Saturday, so it doesn't apply.
~ Sam from Michigan

okroads

Where I stay Friday night depends on how much progress I make that day. I'll start that day in Kansas (most likely Emporia) and will be driving through Missouri & Iowa collecting some counties on my way to Illinois. I will likely just drive into the area of the meet Saturday morning, then I plan on heading north as far as possible after the meet is over to get a head start on my travels through Wisconsin & Minnesota on my way home.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.