2010 Detroit Meet on the Calendar

Started by Alps, December 28, 2009, 07:49:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

DanTheMan414

With that in mind, and noting a slight change-up from the typical roads meet format, here are the details:

WHAT: Post-Gateway Project/Detroit Area Roads Meet

WHEN: Saturday, 1/02/2010, starting at 10:00 AM

WHERE: Brann's Steakhouse & Grille
39715 6 Mile Rd. (0.25 mi. W. of I-275/96 Exit #170)
Northville, MI 48044

We're going to kick things off with a little pre-tour, covering some sites of note in the opposite direction as the main part of the tour. Specifically, we'll head west on I-96, and check out the back-to-back SPUIs with Wixom & Beck Roads, along with a couple of perspectives of one of Michigan's largest interchanges, the I-96/275/696/M-5 megaplex in Novi & Farmington Hills. For this, we'll meet in the parking lot of Brann's at around 10:00 AM.

Around 11:00-15 or so, we'll return back to Brann's, and enjoy some great food & camaraderie. Thereafter, we'll head out on the main portion of our tour, heading down to the vicinity of the Gateway Project to see some of the highlights of MDOT's most expensive project ever, which re-shaped the Eastern Terminus of I-96, added a new ped overpass connecting both sides of Mexicantown, & added new ramps to Vernor Hwy. from I-75 & I-96. We will showcase some of the highways & old-school signage of the Downtown Detroit area, & perhaps another interesting road facet or two. Also featured will be US 24/Telegraph Rd.'s interesting interchanges/intersections with Plymouth Rd., M-153 & US 12, and for those who haven't checked it out yet, the SPUI between I-94 & US 24 featuring the themed tied-arch bridges. Lastly, as long as it's not closed due to flooding, we will also highlight the unique parkway in the Rouge floodplain known as Hines Dr., which connects the Dearborn area with the Plymouth/Northville vicinity. The tour will be concluding between 3:00 & 3:30.

Please post here or message me if you're interested in joining us for the meet/tour, or if you have any questions.  Thanks!

Hellfighter

Hines Drive looks to be out for now, due to flooding

Alex

Would love to go, but I'll be nowhere near Detroit next weekend. My suggestion however -- photograph some of the many abandoned buildings in and around central Detroit. While scouring for some state-named signs, we saw so many...

Hellfighter

Ooohh, let's go check out the new Dix-Telegraph-West Rds interchange!

DanTheMan414

Quote from: Hellfighter on December 30, 2009, 03:55:27 PM
Ooohh, let's go check out the new Dix-Telegraph-West Rds interchange!

Not going to have time, at least as a part of the main tour...we'll be at the other end of town.  But, if anyone wanted to do a post-tour ride, that's definitely one thing worth checking out.  :sombrero:

Chris

DanTheMan414

Definitely, it was an awesome experience!  More details to come...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.