News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Most absurd VMS messages

Started by Pete from Boston, July 10, 2015, 12:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

myosh_tino

Quote from: Bruce on January 13, 2018, 09:23:17 PM
After today's false alarm in Hawaii:

Given the current circumstances, I don't think this is an "absurd" message.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: myosh_tino on January 14, 2018, 11:30:11 AM
Given the current circumstances, I don't think this is an "absurd" message.

Taken out of context though, it definitely fits.

kphoger

That's what they WANT you to think!  They really just hacked in to trick people right before sending the missiles.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: kphoger on January 15, 2018, 01:42:41 PM
That's what they WANT you to think!  They really just hacked in to trick people right before sending the missiles.

Your comment does make me question how secure these systems are, and just how plausible that scenario might actually be.

TheHighwayMan3561

MnDOT today:

Duck, Duck, Buckle Up
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

wanderer2575

A new one debuted this past week on metro Detroit VMSs:

BROKEN RIDE?
GET TO THE SIDE
STAY BELTED INSIDE

zzyzx

Seen in downtown Austin...

If you identify as neither, is buckling up optional??  :hmmm:

Pink Jazz

Today's safety message from ADOT:
QuoteDRIVE SAFELY
XOXO
ADOT

TBKS1

A friend of mine who lives in Denver took this picture today and sent it to me (via Discord)

I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

GaryV

I saw 2 of them on I-75 south of Flint this weekend

Mackinac Bridge
       Closed
  Expect Delays

(was the last line really necessary?)

The bridge was closed because of ice falling from the towers and cables.

briantroutman

Noticed this a few days ago on a VMS on I-95 just before the PA/DE border:

SAVE WARP SPEED
FOR CAPT KIRK

SPEED LIMIT

Flint1979

Quote from: GaryV on March 01, 2018, 05:01:48 PM
I saw 2 of them on I-75 south of Flint this weekend

Mackinac Bridge
       Closed
  Expect Delays

(was the last line really necessary?)

The bridge was closed because of ice falling from the towers and cables.
I saw that one too.

GaryV

MDOT was trying poetry again yesterday on I-696.  See if I can remember it correctly - something like

BROKEN RIDE?
  MOVE TO THE SIDE
STAY BUCKLED INSIDE

wanderer2575

More brilliance from MDOT, and another reason I find its VMS messages to be next to useless.  Currently displayed on I-696:

TRAVEL TIME TO
M-10 7 MI 50 MIN
I-275 16 MI 55 MIN

This is located before a weekend pavement repair project that has the road down to one lane; hence the long travel time.  That's not what I'm pointing out.  Note the distance and travel times between the two exits shown -- nine miles in five minutes.  That would be 108 mph. 

hotdogPi

Quote from: wanderer2575 on March 03, 2018, 11:18:53 AM
More brilliance from MDOT, and another reason I find its VMS messages to be next to useless.  Currently displayed on I-696:

TRAVEL TIME TO
M-10 7 MI 50 MIN
I-275 16 MI 55 MIN

This is located before a weekend pavement repair project that has the road down to one lane; hence the long travel time.  That's not what I'm pointing out.  Note the distance and travel times between the two exits shown -- nine miles in five minutes.  That would be 108 mph.

Maybe it rounds everything to the nearest 5 minutes if it's above a certain number.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

wanderer2575

Quote from: 1 on March 03, 2018, 11:21:11 AM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on March 03, 2018, 11:18:53 AM

TRAVEL TIME TO
M-10 7 MI 50 MIN
I-275 16 MI 55 MIN

Maybe it rounds everything to the nearest 5 minutes if it's above a certain number.

They don't round; I often see 47 MIN or 62 MIN in rush hours and bad weather.  It's more likely an idiot intern who's trying to count on his fingers and failing.  As another example, there is another VMS six miles farther along and it often shows a LONGER travel time to I-275 (ten miles distant at that point) than the first VMS at 16 miles distant shows.

busman_49

Ohio had this going over the weekend (or something close to it):

TURN SIGNALS:
THE ORIGINAL
INSTANT MESSAGE

Max Rockatansky

Central California had this one on freeways over the weekend:

"Watch for people walking on all roadways."

I thought it might have something to do with the city of Fresno cracking down on Jaywalking until I saw the same message on CA 99 in Bakersfield yesterday. 

myosh_tino

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 05, 2018, 07:19:30 AM

I thought it might have something to do with the city of Fresno cracking down on Jaywalking until I saw the same message on CA 99 in Bakersfield yesterday.

That message was plastered all over the Bay Area freeways this past weekend too.  While pedestrians are forbidden on the freeways, I guess it could be argued that drivers need to be aware of work crews (Caltrans or volunteers).
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: myosh_tino on March 06, 2018, 12:23:40 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 05, 2018, 07:19:30 AM

That message was plastered all over the Bay Area freeways this past weekend too.  While pedestrians are forbidden on the freeways, I guess it could be argued that drivers need to be aware of work crews (Caltrans or volunteers).

It makes me think something happened somewhere for that message to be displayed state wide.  That or it was just a slow weekend following all those snow storms in the Sierras.

SidS1045

After the nor'easter in the Boston area on Wednesday (3/7), MassDOT put this on their VMS's:

DON'T
CROWD
THE PLOW

Problem is, we had sideways snow during that storm, which ended up obscuring the top line of the message on some of those signs...and rendering the message as exactly the opposite of what was intended.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Big John

roadman

Seen on I-295 in Rhode Island yesterday:

Buckle Up /Wear A Seat Belt With Your Bonnet
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jflick99

I saw these on I-29 near St. Joseph a couple weeks ago on my way to the Sweet 16 games in Omaha.

Buckle-ology
Picking Safety
To Win

Brackets Bust
Seatbelts Won't
Buckle Up

Michael

I saw this last night on Imgur:

It was also posted on Reddit.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.