News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Most absurd VMS messages

Started by Pete from Boston, July 10, 2015, 12:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbnv

Quote from: roadman on August 01, 2016, 10:37:02 AM
Although the message was shown on EVERY sign between Route 4 and the MA line, I guess that's better than seeing

PROVIDENCE-NEWPORT FERRY
12:30 SOLD OUT
5:00 STILL TICKETS

on all the signs, which was the case two weeks ago.  And note that the ferry message was being displayed about 3:00 pm, well after the 12:30 ferry had departed.

That's more lazy than absurd.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

roadman

Quote from: jbnv on August 01, 2016, 11:47:20 AM
Quote from: roadman on August 01, 2016, 10:37:02 AM
Although the message was shown on EVERY sign between Route 4 and the MA line, I guess that's better than seeing

PROVIDENCE-NEWPORT FERRY
12:30 SOLD OUT
5:00 STILL TICKETS

on all the signs, which was the case two weeks ago.  And note that the ferry message was being displayed about 3:00 pm, well after the 12:30 ferry had departed.

That's more lazy than absurd.
The message itself is lazy.  Placing it on every northbound VMS panel between Route 4 and the Massachusetts line is absurd.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

roadman

Just when you thought MassDOT had run out of totally absurd (and non-transportation related) VMS messages:

http://www.universalhub.com/2016/jennifuh-quickly-grew-her-roommate-bu
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

epzik8

Along I-95 in Delaware, between Newark and Wilmington:

Screen 1: "SCHOOL'S IN SESSION"
Screen 2: "GIVE KIDS A BRAKE"

The actual message isn't absurd - drivers really should use caution in school zones and in the vicinity of stopped school buses - it's just that they didn't need to use a lame pun like that.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

SectorZ

"OUI RUINS LIVES"

MassDOT should learn that punctuation matters, as I don't understand why French affirmatives ruin lives.

Rothman

Quote from: SectorZ on September 07, 2016, 01:07:11 PM
"OUI RUINS LIVES"

MassDOT should learn that punctuation matters, as I don't understand why French affirmatives ruin lives.

We were joking about that ourselves over the past couple of weeks due to our recent and frequent trips on the western half of the Pike.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

JCinSummerfield

"OUI RUINS LIVES"

I bet they were talking about the magazine.

WillWeaverRVA

"OUI RUINS LIVES"

That or they were going for a self-deprecating pun with poor grammar by suggesting "(WE) RUINS (sic) LIVES".
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Buffaboy

Quote from: cl94 on July 27, 2016, 09:52:46 PM
I admit that I have Pokémon Go going while in heavy, slow-moving traffic, but I don't look at it. If you're moving slower than 15 km/h, it thinks you're walking and it will count toward hatching eggs. Makes traffic a hell of a lot more enjoyable, especially if the jam is a few miles long and you can get a few eggs to hatch with zero effort.

Those days are gone
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

kphoger

"OUI RUINS LIVES"

I have no idea what it even means.  Good job, MassDOT.  For all I know, OUI is a political organization and MassDOT is telling me not to vote for them.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jwolfer

Quote from: JCinSummerfield on September 08, 2016, 01:10:08 PM
"OUI RUINS LIVES"

I bet they were talking about the magazine.
I remember finding that magazine in my grandpa's stash when I was a kid... Is there any magazines left? Or is it all online now

SidS1045

Quote from: kphoger on September 10, 2016, 12:46:40 PM
"OUI RUINS LIVES"

I have no idea what it even means.  Good job, MassDOT.  For all I know, OUI is a political organization and MassDOT is telling me not to vote for them.

Besides, the common parlance around here is DUI, not OUI.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

kphoger

Quote from: SidS1045 on September 10, 2016, 01:49:42 PM
"OUI RUINS LIVES"

Oh, so it means DUI?  See, now, I would have read that sign and not understood the message.

I still just had to do a Google search to figure out what the O even stands for.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

DevalDragon

"OUI RUINS LIVES"

We use DWI down in Texas.

bzakharin

Quote from: DevalDragon on September 10, 2016, 11:57:28 PM
"OUI RUINS LIVES"

I believe they mean different things. I think one is alcohol, while the other is alcohol or other drugs. Don't remember which one is which, though

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on September 12, 2016, 01:06:07 PM
Quote from: DevalDragon on September 10, 2016, 11:57:28 PM
"OUI RUINS LIVES"

I believe they mean different things. I think one is alcohol, while the other is alcohol or other drugs. Don't remember which one is which, though

Driving While Intoxicated

Driving Under (the) Influence.

I believe DUI is more broad than DWI.

bzakharin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 12, 2016, 01:23:01 PM
Driving While Intoxicated

Driving Under (the) Influence.

I believe DUI is more broad than DWI.
Yeah, I knew what they stood for. It's not clear which one is broader. On the one hand "intoxicated" has a more specific meaning. On the other hand, if we're just talking about alcohol and drugs, "intoxicated" covers both. On the third hand (or something) DWI does not necessarily imply that the substance is actually influencing your driving. As for OUI, I've never heard of it. I assumed it was a case of DUI with a D indistinguishable from an O. Once I realized it was not, I did guess "Operating" correctly.

slorydn1

In NC it's DWI (Driving While Impaired)-covers the whole range from alcohol to drugs.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Bruce

Seen at LAX recently, regarding a certain exploding smartphone:

https://gfycat.com/PitifulWarmheartedFlyinglemur

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Bruce on October 16, 2016, 12:33:52 AM
Seen at LAX recently, regarding a certain exploding smartphone:

https://gfycat.com/PitifulWarmheartedFlyinglemur

I'm sure that went over well with all the people carrying them.  I love the current "one text or call could end it all" messages Caltrans had up this past week.  Nothing like a good scare tactic campaign at 5 AM in the morning to make your climb up Tehachpi Pass more enjoyable.  :rolleyes:

SidS1045

It's hardly a "scare" tactic.  The damned things were spontaneously bursting into flame and their manufacturer was unable to fix the problem.  Even the supposedly "fixed" ones were doing it too.  (Parenthetically, this failure is going to cost Samsung, by some estimates, billions of dollars.)  If its users were paying attention and had some brain matter, they had already stopped using them.

And that ban the VMS referred to was imposed not by LAX alone, but by the FAA and applies nationwide.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SidS1045 on October 16, 2016, 10:22:11 PM
It's hardly a "scare" tactic.  The damned things were spontaneously bursting into flame and their manufacturer was unable to fix the problem.  Even the supposedly "fixed" ones were doing it too.  (Parenthetically, this failure is going to cost Samsung, by some estimates, billions of dollars.)  If its users were paying attention and had some brain matter, they had already stopped using them.

And that ban the VMS referred to was imposed not by LAX alone, but by the FAA and applies nationwide.

I meant the VMS sign saying "one text or call could end it all." 

kphoger

In Missouri a week ago, I saw several VMSes with cutesy Halloween-themed messages.  "Mind your mummy / Don't speed" was one of them.  They made me want to vomit, but I couldn't because I was in a borrowed car.
Male pronouns, please.

MNHighwayMan

I have a whole album of these, in various levels of hilarity and/or absurdity, that I've taken from the Des Moines area. Apologies if any of these have already been posted.

roadman

Just when you thought MassDOT couldn't outdo themselves with irrelevant (to the driving task) CMS messages.  Spotted last night on I-93 south, on the CMS boards south of Dascomb Road and at Route 129:

REPLACE SMOKE      TEST MONTHLY
DETECTORS             CHECK BATTERY
EVERY 10 YEARS

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.