News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Roads You Miss

Started by webny99, June 29, 2020, 04:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

With the current ongoing pandemic, it seems like a good time to reflect on fun roads that we used to drive quite often, or haven't driven in a while, that we wish we could have a bit more of in our lives! This isn't necessarily your favorite roads, or the most scenic ones, but just roads that have positive connotations and overall good vibes and memories.

For me, it's the New York State Thruway. I've only driven about 6 miles on it in the last 4 months. I really, really miss it, and I hope I get to use it a few times this summer, even if not as much as in past years.

Max Rockatansky

AZ 88 since it was an awesome mountain highway and dirt road.  It was so much fun being able to drive that highway on a whim. 

DandyDan

I-35 in Minnesota, or really anything up there.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Ned Weasel

Roads I miss from my trucking days:

• I-5 through Oregon and Washington (minus Seattle area traffic)
  • Many of the California freeways
  • Oklahoma Turnpikes
  • Ohio Turnpike (good overall design quality and best service plazas)
  • Pennsylvania and New Jersey Turnpikes
  • I-40 through eastern Tennessee
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kphoger

Since switching my regular Kansas-to-Mexico route several years ago in order to avoid Fort Worth, I've missed driving this stretch of freeway beauty through the Sierra Madre.

The mountainous stretch of my current route is shorter and usually involves some dicey passing situations.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

roadman65

I miss most of the Florida roads before all the sprawl when you can go one mile without stopping for many stoplights or even one at all.  In my old house you could go to Hunter's Creek in less than two minutes.  Now that trip can take you at least five and several lights that were not up when I first moved to Orlando. 

Thankfully, we got some of that back during the stay at home, but now its business as usual again, but you can enjoy the quiet time of it while it lasted. 

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Henry

Route 66, on which I spent many great childhood road trips.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Bruce

Highway 2, since I haven't driven beyond Monroe since the beginning of the year.

DJ Particle

I really miss driving the Merritt Parkway...I always made sure to hop on it at the Milford Pkwy exit when driving between the Cape and points south.

CNGL-Leudimin

Throwing something exotic: roads beyond Zaragoza (as seen from my viewpoint at the foot of the Pyrenees), notably A-23 and A-2. At least I managed to get into the latter this year before the lockdown. Also A-21 in Navarre.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

sparker

Two in particular; both part of my old regular CA>PNW routine:

US 97 from Weed, CA north to about Madras, OR; and US 101 in its entirety from Santa Rosa up through Oregon to the Columbia River.  Don't make all that many trips utilizing either route since the early 2000's for any number of reasons; and the COVID situation has put the kibosh on at least doing partial segments.  Oh well -- possibly things will change after things settle back to -- maybe -- some vague semblance of a previous "normal"; pretty much all we can hope for these days -- at least in terms of our travel capabilities.   

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: DJ Particle on July 01, 2020, 01:05:24 AM
I really miss driving the Merritt Parkway...I always made sure to hop on it at the Milford Pkwy exit when driving between the Cape and points south.
I like that road too.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hbelkins

Corridor H, especially from Elkins to Strasburg.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Takumi

NC 12 in the off season.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

wanderer2575

Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Flint1979

The Dan Ryan Expressway in Chicago. I refuse to enter the city of Chicago at the moment. I miss passing the home of my favorite baseball team (Comiskey Park) and seeing the skyline on the horizon.

Ketchup99

Quote from: Flint1979 on August 16, 2020, 10:32:38 AM
The Dan Ryan Expressway in Chicago. I refuse to enter the city of Chicago at the moment. I miss passing the home of my favorite baseball team (Comiskey Park) and seeing the skyline on the horizon.
Why? If you just want to drive the Ryan there's no reason to get out of the car :P

Flint1979

Quote from: Ketchup99 on August 16, 2020, 10:47:37 AM
Why? If you just want to drive the Ryan there's no reason to get out of the car
Well I'd be in the city of Chicago and I'd be tempted to get off the expressway by my own self.

I-55

I used to travel US-35 from Dayton to Gallipolis about once every two months but stopped in 2016. I've only been back once in 2018. I can still tell you just about every town from I-75 to WV-2.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

DJ Particle

Quote from: Flint1979 on August 16, 2020, 12:22:01 PM
Quote from: Ketchup99 on August 16, 2020, 10:47:37 AM
Why? If you just want to drive the Ryan there's no reason to get out of the car
Well I'd be in the city of Chicago and I'd be tempted to get off the expressway by my own self.
I admit I like the older section of I-90/94 just north of I-290 when it's all lit up at night.  I miss that.

skluth

Places I've lived

St Louis, MO: Bluff Road south of Columbia, IL
Portsmouth, VA: US 301 and US 17 from the Potomac River to Yorktown when returning from DC
Green Bay, WI: The old Monroe Road in Bellevue before WI 172 (early 70's)
Madison, WI: Riding my bicycle through the Arboretum and down Seminole Highway to Paoli (late 70's)

I agree that NC 12 down to Hatteras during the offseason is beautiful.

SectorZ

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.