News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Why is I-190 in SD an interstate?

Started by bugo, December 13, 2013, 12:30:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD Mapman

Quote from: roadman65 on December 19, 2013, 08:24:23 AM
What I find interesting is not only that the Exit 57 interchange was not only a three level directional interchange, but still the fact that Rushmore Road and the short I-190 freeway are in line with each other.

As soon as you exit on to I-190 you can see US 16 lined directly in front of you heading up the hill into the Black Hills Area.  The same when you come down from the Black Hills EB on US 16 as you see the I-190 freeway down ahead of you.

Its because the street grid in Rapid City is not completely N-S to E-W.  If you look both north and south of the downtown area you see I-190 bend to the SW slightly before you reach the southern terminus at Omaha Street.  Then US 16 heading north (signed east) it bends slightly  to the NE as it heads into downtown.  However, both straightaways are in line as seen here or if you have ever driven US 16 in person.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Rapid+City,+SD&hl=en&ll=44.081296,-103.230972&spn=0.053888,0.122223&sll=27.698638,-83.804601&sspn=8.494959,15.644531&oq=rapi&hnear=Rapid+City,+Pennington,+South+Dakota&t=m&z=13
They got rid of the Y after too many accidents happens due to the proximity to exit 58.

I've always thought that (the in-line thing) was neat. One of my pipe dreams for a long time was to have SDDOT build a bridge to connect both parts and extend I-190 south.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

M86

texaskdog

Quote from: mgk920 on December 13, 2013, 11:29:34 AM
It also has an intermediate interchange between I-90 and its south end.  BTW, when it was first built, the I-90/190 interchange was a three-level directional 'Y'.

I agree, it is a worthy part of the I-system.

Mike

we laugh that my wife's mother in law calls it the "I-System" ....must be a Wisconsin thing

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kphoger

Dennis Daugaard is a caulrophobic prude.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

inkyatari

I guess I'm feeding the bump, but I've never seen this thread before so....

When was 190 built?  If it was 30-40 years ago, it seems to me that the Haines Ave. corridor is a more logical choice, as 190 as currently implemented goes really nowhere.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

texaskdog

Quote from: NE2 on February 21, 2017, 01:47:55 PM
What a pointless bump.

I was actually looking something else up.  if you don't want something bumped, these should be taken down after a year.  I don't look at dates when I post.

hotdogPi

Bumps are allowed if there is new content, which is anything except these (list may be incomplete):

• Irrelevant posts
  • Reactions to a comment that do not expand on the topic at all
  • Repeating something said earlier

The bump here falls under the second category, as it was a reply to a comment, and the reply only had to do with the comment being quoted, not the subject of the thread.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

I've got 99 problems but a bumped thread like this isn't one.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.