New KDOT secretary

Started by route56, October 28, 2016, 02:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

route56

http://cjonline.com/news/2016-10-24/brownback-names-acting-kdot-secretary-permanent-agency-leader

After the resignation of Mike King, Richard Carslon (**not** the same person as N9JIG) was named the acting Secretary of Transportation.

Governor Brownback has now nominated him to have the "acting" title removed

Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

J N Winkler

There are some choice quotes in that article--"Fox guarding the chicken coop" from Hensley, and I think this may be the first time Deb Miller has been publicly quoted criticizing the Governor's raids on KDOT funding.

I wonder how hard the Brownback administration looked for a permanent appointee as an alternative to Carlson.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

DJStephens

Pete Rahn didn't apply for the job?? 

J N Winkler

I guess he must like crabs better than sunflower seeds--he's currently the Maryland DOT secretary.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Scott5114

Give him time, he's clearly going for DOT director bingo.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

route56

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2016/dec/13/senate-panel-endorses-carlson-kansas-transportatio/

UPDATE! Carlson's nomination as KDOT secretary cleared committee on a 5-1 vote, with Hensley dissenting.

R.P.K.

route56

http://www.wibw.com/content/news/Kansas-Senate-confirms-Brownback-Cabinet-nominees-411027445.html

UPDATE! 2: Carlson has been confirmed

It was the only appointment; however, that was not confirmed on a unanimous vote. 5 Democrats and one Republican voted "nay", two more democrats voted "present" (including my State Senator, Marci Francisco of District 2), and only one Democrat (Tom Holland in neighboring District 3) voted in favor, along with the other 31 Republicans.

Apparantly, Lynn Rogers of the 25th is from Alanland. He is listed in the senate journal as having voted both "yea" and "nay." I'm assuming that "nay" is the accurate vote.

R.P.K.

J N Winkler

Quote from: route56 on January 19, 2017, 12:58:31 PMApparently, Lynn Rogers of the 23rd is from Alanland. He is listed in the senate journal as having voted both "yea" and "nay." I'm assuming that "nay" is the accurate vote.

It sounds like the senate journal needs editorial help if they are putting Rogers in the 23rd.  He is actually from the 25th (my district!) and is sitting as a Democrat but was formerly a Republican for decades.  I'd say it is more probable than not that he voted Nay.

route56

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 21, 2017, 02:07:44 PM
It sounds like the senate journal needs editorial help if they are putting Rogers in the 23rd.

The senate journal didn't make that error, I did (and corrected the original post). The KS legislature website and the senate journal have also been corrected so that Rogers is listed only among the "Nay" voters.

R.P.K.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.