News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Mid-Atlantic / Re: Francis Scott Key Bridge (...
Last post by Henry - Today at 10:07:03 PM
May I direct your attention to the new Key Bridge?

And here's the full story below, via the accompanying article:

QuoteWeBuild, with its US subsidiary Lane, has unveiled a proposal for the Francis Scott Key Bridge reconstruction design and planning in Baltimore.

The initiative follows the collapse of the bridge last March, which resulted in loss of lives and disrupted a crucial maritime connection.

WeBuild's proposal, a cable-stayed bridge design, has been developed in collaboration with Massachusetts Institute of Technology professor and architect Carlo Ratti and French structural engineer Michel Virlogeux.

This new structure is expected to ensure maximum safety for both vehicular traffic and navigation for larger ships, focusing on enhanced safety, adaptability, and sustainability.

The design anticipates a navigable clearance of 213ft, more than the previous bridge, and an expanded bridge span of approximately 2,300ft.

The main pylons are planned to be positioned in shallower waters, away from the navigation channel.

In response to increased traffic, the proposal includes a wider carriageway, adding one lane in each direction and expanding emergency lanes.

The new bridge will also incorporate smart features for improved traffic management and the application of predictive maintenance techniques.

Carlo Ratti said: "Opting for a cable-stayed solution enables the piles to be positioned at a safe distance, well away from the navigation channel used by large vessels and hence preventing the risk of a tragedy such as the one of March 26 happening again.

"This approach also provides a light-weight solution to reconnect two sides of Baltimore, both socially and economically - what American infrastructure should be striving to do in the 21st century."

The project will further include the use of materials that aim to preserve the Patapsco River's ecosystem.

Webuild CEO Pietro Salini said: "We will take part, on 7 May, in the Maryland Transportation Authority (MDTA)'s Virtual Industry Forum for the reconstruction of the bridge, and we are ready to help in any way we can at this stage in the spirit of pro bono service.

"The design concept of the bridge that we have been working on incessantly during this last month will represent a key contribution towards the design and reconstruction or new construction of the bridge."

Last month, Lane was awarded a $110m contract to construct the Newport News Segment of the Interstate (I)-64 Hampton Roads Express Lanes in Hampton, Virginia.
General Highway Talk / Re: Google Maps just fucking S...
Last post by Scott5114 - Today at 09:59:47 PM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on Today at 07:57:28 PMThe new theme is disgusting. Whatever happened to "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enshittification
Southeast / Re: Florida
Last post by roadman65 - Today at 09:50:35 PM
More photos from WBound TOLL FL 690 to US 19 from I-275.

Pacific Southwest / Re: California
Last post by Max Rockatansky - Today at 09:50:07 PM
I've been driving past that project for several months.  I thought it was a shoulder widening and barrier reinforcement the first couple times I looked at it.
Weather / Re: What's your weather curren...
Last post by Hunty2022 - Today at 09:44:30 PM
69 and cloudy.
Pacific Southwest / Re: California
Last post by TheStranger - Today at 09:39:18 PM
Drove up 101 from LA to the Bay yesterday.  Lots of construction in Prunedale - I know some grade seperations are new to the last decade or so, will there be more coming in the near future too?
The way I do it is to give my photos titles that describe the scene of the photo, then I sort alphabetically.  So if I have a bunch of photos on state highways in Illinois, for example, I make the first element of the title the route where I took the photo, then the second element will be a crossroad.  Then I click "sort alphabetically" and everything appears in numerical order.
Last post by 1995hoo - Today at 09:34:09 PM
Quote from: vdeane on Today at 09:26:46 PMWhat is the point in removing 695 from the National Network (is this the NHS or something else?  It seems unclear) for a temporary closure?

It's something else, per the FHWA.
Last post by vdeane - Today at 09:26:46 PM
What is the point in removing 695 from the National Network (is this the NHS or something else?  It seems unclear) for a temporary closure?

Quote from: FHWAThe portion of I-695 that includes the Francis Scott Key Bridge is a part of the National Highway System
(NHS) and was officially incorporated into the Interstate System effective April 29, 2024
Interesting.
Northwest / Re: Washington
Last post by Bruce - Today at 09:24:54 PM
A new interchange on I-405 has opened at NE 132nd Street in Kirkland. A half-diamond with two roundabouts to serve Totem Lake and EvergreenHealth.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.