Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

csw

Any signs of overhead lights going in?

ITB

Quote from: csw on November 17, 2017, 04:27:49 PM
Any signs of overhead lights going in?

I imagine some of the lighting conduits are already in place, particularly on Tapp Road and the new roundabout east of the mainline. Here's a couple of pictures taken from the SR 45/Bloomfield Road overpass that show lighting installations both north and south of Tapp. While these photos do not depict work at Tapp per se, they illustrate what will soon be forthcoming at the I-69/Tapp Road interchange.

Pictures were taken September 27, 2017.

The Tapp Road interchange will be just beyond the slight crest in the roadway. In the background (expand the photo) is a line of overhead lights approaching the Fullerton Road interchange. Also, there's a concrete footing for an overhead light on the right.

Closer look at two concrete footings for lights between the SR 45 overpass and Tapp Road; looking south.

ITB

I was over on the west side of Bloomington today, and I brought the camera. I'm glad I did. A lot has changed at the Tapp Road/State Road 37 work zone. Photos were taken November 20, 2017.

Paving is underway at the eastern roundabout on Tapp Road, and poles and lightning fixtures are now in place; looking slightly southwest.

Just north of the future Tapp Road interchange, embankment work continues; looking slightly northwest.

Another view of the work underway at Tapp; looking southeast. The future northbound entrance and exit ramps to Tapp have been either paved or are in the process of being paved. Note as well the newly installed row of overhead lights. Not a great picture, but at this time of year with the sun so low in the sky ...

Looking west toward the future eastern roundabout at Tapp Road.

Closer look at the paving operation.

Another look at the work underway at Tapp.

I'm going to try to make it up to Morgan County soon. After that, as winter sets in, I'll may take a little break. We'll see.

Edit: Swapped out a photo for a better one.

ITB

On Thanksgiving Day, I made my way up to Morgan County via back roads, with one stop along the way. The time it took was a lot longer than I expected. By the time I got to where I wanted to be, the sun was quite low in the southwestern sky. Photos were taken November 24, 2017.

The medium bent of the future overpass that will carry Chambers Pike over State Road 37 (future I-69) in Monroe County, Indiana; looking east. Concrete to form the columns has been recently poured and is now curing. The forms have been wrapped in insulating material to ensure proper curing.

Another view of the work underway at Chambers Pike; looking northeast. With this overpass underway, all major remaining elements of Section 5–the interchanges and overpasses at Tapp Road, Sample Road, and Liberty Church Road, and now the overpass at Chambers Pike–are under construction.

[/url]
Looking north from the work zone at Chambers Pike and State Road 37.

Two excavators–one with a hammer drill attachment–at the Chambers Pike work zone; looking east.

The area in the vicinity of Chambers Pike and SR 37, particularly the sections to the north, is isolated to some extent. This will be exacerbated when Section 5 completes, as area residents will no longer be able to access SR 37 via Chambers Pike or nearby crossings. It's 8.35 miles between the interchanges at Sample Road and Liberty Church Road to the north. Residents who live in the area between the two interchanges may have to drive upwards of 15 or 20 minutes to access Interstate 69, depending on where they live. Chambers Pike is an ideal location for an another interchange. I imagine, at some point in the future, one will be built.

Looking north toward SR 37 and the future Liberty Church Road overpass and interchange. Along this stretch of roadway, the present southbound lanes of SR 37 have been temporarily closed for construction work. All traffic, both northbound and southbound, has been shunted off to the northbound lanes of SR 37, with opposing traffic running side by side. At the time the picture was taken, southbound traffic was backed up due to an incident.

A driver has had enough of the backup, which was at a standstill, and has decided the closed-off southbound lanes of SR 37 are more appealing. To the left is the new access road that will link into the Liberty Church Road interchange. In the mid-background, the new bridge over Little Indiana Creek for the access road is discernible, as is the adjacent, future southbound entrance ramp to I-69 from Liberty Church.

Southbound SR 37, the middle roadway pictured, has been closed off north and south of Liberty Church for several months for rehabilitation of the bridges over Jordan Creek and Little Indian Creek. At some point, all traffic, both northbound and southbound, will be shifted to the southbound lanes to reconstruct the aforementioned bridges on SR 37 northbound.

Looking southeast toward State Road 37 and the traffic backup; from near the SR 37/Turkey Track Rd. crossing. At this spot, the new access road (foreground) will link into Turkey Track Rd., which itself hooks up into Paragon Road, a rural arterial.

State Road 37 in northern Monroe County is not an easy drive at this time, some would term it "nightmarish." The morning and evening backups can be lengthy, even if no incident has occurred. Accidents, unfortunately, have become common along this stretch of Section 5, particularly where opposing traffic is running side by side on the northbound lanes. The problem is most evident at SR 37 access points. (I hesitate to use the term intersection because, in many instances, these access points are little more than driveways.) Often the only way a vehicle can access SR 37 is for other vehicles to slow or stop, granting entrance to the other vehicle. Last month, during a northbound backup, a semi three vehicles ahead of me had stopped to give a vehicle room to access SR 37 southbound. But the driver of this car wasn't careful enough and pulled too quickly into the southbound lane. He was smacked hard on the front passenger quarter panel. The force of the crash dislodged the front axle of the striking vehicle, and I watched, helplessly, as the car skidded, front end to pavement, down the roadway past me.

INDOT and its contractors have been busting their rear ends whipping SR 37 into shape to become I-69. Very substantial progress has been advanced this summer and fall. But several months of intense construction are still forthcoming. If you have need to be on SR 37 while construction is ongoing, be careful out there.

qguy

Thanks for the continuing sets of photos.

BTW, the "hammer drill attachment" is called a ram-hoe. When not in mixed company, male engineers and construction workers often call it a pecker (with the innuendo intended). Although how advisable that is in today's environment is an open question.

ITB

The future Interstate 69/Liberty Church Road interchange in Morgan County, Indiana, via Google Earth/Google Images. These images are from September 2017.

Courtesy Google Earth/Google Images
To orient, the top of the image is north, and left is west. The highway with the median is State Road 37. The smaller road that roughly cuts horizontally through the image is Liberty Church Road (right of SR 37) and Godsey Road (left of SR 37). The outer roadway rings of the interchange are the new local access roads. Clearly defined are the southbound exit and entrance ramps to/from future I-69. Less detailed, however, are the northbound ramps.

This image more clearly shows the route and construction of the western local access road. Work on the new access road bridge over Little Indian Creek (mid-left) had only just commenced, but, now, three months later, is complete. On the other side of the highway, the eastern access road will be linked to E. Hacker Creek Road, which itself connects to a small segment Old State Road 37. That segment then will be extended to connect to another segment of Old SR 37. It's possible this stretch of access roadway may be tagged Old State Road 37.

Closer look at the trio of new bridges that cross Jordan Creek north of the Liberty Church Road interchange. The bridges on the far left and right, respectfully, are for the local access roads. The one in the middle will carry the I-69 southbound exit ramp.

Henry

Safe to say the new I-69 will definitely follow the same alignment as IN 37 from Bloomington to Indy? Well, the more I see it, the more I think it's definitely the right way to go.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: Henry on December 07, 2017, 09:39:07 AM
Safe to say the new I-69 will definitely follow the same alignment as IN 37 from Bloomington to Indy? Well, the more I see it, the more I think it's definitely the right way to go.

Yes, that is already settled.  Interstate 69 SIU 3, Section 6, will run from the I-69 - State Road 39 interchange in Martinsville, to a new Interchange with I-465 just to the west of the current 465 interchange with State Road 37.

There are initial plans in previous posts in this thread.

ITB

Here's a selection of photos of work at the Liberty Church Road interchange that dovetail with the satellite images I posted earlier. The pictures were taken Sunday, December 3 on a warm afternoon. There was a paving crew out–yup, working on a Sunday in December–so I wasn't able to get all the shots I wanted to.

Just two days later, chilly air descended over Indiana, signaling the arrival of winter. Contractors are pushing very hard to move Section 5 toward the finish line, as evidenced by the Sunday paving work not only at Liberty Church but at Sample Road as well (pictures below). It's only 82 days till the warmer temperatures of March. If INDOT and its contractors can get in 30—40 days of productive work during the winter months, they'll probably be satisfied.

The scene at the future Interstate 69/Liberty Church Road interchange in Morgan County, Indiana; looking northeast. If you expand the photo (Right Click select View Image), an ambulance with its back doors open is discernible (right). Another incident on State Road 37, distressingly. It appeared a vehicle traveling northbound that had slowed to make the right turn onto Liberty Church Road had been slammed hard in the rear. Let's hope no one was seriously injured. On the right is Godsey Road, which will connect to the western local access road, which itself will link into the Liberty Church interchange.

A mid-range view of the work underway on Sunday at the Liberty Church Road interchange; looking northeast. The crew was paving the new southbound entrance ramp to future I-69.

Closer look of the paving crew and the scene at Liberty Church. The unpaved roadway in the foreground is the local access road.

A truck with a fresh load of asphalt heads up the approach road to the overpass that will carry Liberty Church Road over future I-69; looking northwest.

Another look at the paving team at work on the southbound ramp; looking north.

The point where Godsey Road will intersect with the local access road; looking northeast.

Looking northwest from SR 37 toward the work underway at Liberty Church. Traffic was at a standstill due the aforementioned incident, so I took the opportunity to snap off a couple.

Sample Road work zone

Near the future I-69/Sample Road interchange, a team is paving the segment of roadway that will blend the current northbound lanes of SR 37 into the old southbound lanes of SR 37; looking north. When completed, this section of roadway will become the new northbound lanes of Interstate 69. After traffic has been switched over, the current northbound lanes of SR 37 will be sealed off at Sample Road, but just to the north, will be repurposed as a bi-directional local access road up to Chambers Pike, a distance of about two miles. Note the little patch of asphalt, jutting off from the new northbound mainline. That's the beginning of the exit ramp to Sample Road. Also note the police cruiser positioned underneath the partial overpass.

A more expansive view of the scene at the Sample Road work zone; looking north. In the foreground is the new local access road. This road runs behind the Mobil/Circle K mart (not pictured, but off to the right) up to a roundabout at Sample Road. It then continues north to join up with the northbound lanes of SR 37, which, from that point north, at detailed above, will be transitioned to a two-way local access road.

Winter has arrived in Indiana. Work will likely continue on the overpasses at Tapp Road and Chambers Pike, as well as elsewhere, as weather permits. If I notice anything of interest, I'll try to take some pictures to keep you all up to date.

Edit: Minor wording changes for readability and some additional info added to the photo descriptions.

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: ITB on December 08, 2017, 03:18:38 PM

Here's a selection of photos of work at the Liberty Church Road interchange....

These photos are great.  Thanks for posting.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

EngineerTM

I recently drove through the I69 Section 5 construction zone last week.  It had been awhile, and I was amazed at just how much had been completed.  What I found to be interesting was that some elements were being opened to traffic as soon as possible.  For example, when I was driving northbound, I noticed that the new exit ramp for the Tapp Road intersection was both opened to traffic and signed with the correct exit number.  The bridge over the interstate is not there, but traffic can exit on the new exit ramp.  I saw the similar thing when driving southbound later in the day; a new exit ramp for Sample Road was opened and signed.  If time hadn't been an issue, I would have flipped on my vehicle's lights and snapped some photos.  I initially had my doubts, but it appears that the August 2018 substantial completion target is very achievable.  I think that the fairly mild winter that Indiana has had (so far-knocking on wood) is a great help.

NE2

Quote from: EngineerTM on December 12, 2017, 12:56:41 PM
I think that the fairly mild winter that Indiana has had (so far-knocking on wood) is a great help.
Looks like another global warming feedback loop has been discovered: warmer weather -> more highways built -> more driving -> warmer weather
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

silverback1065

I recently drove through the I69 Section 5 construction zone last week.  It had been awhile, and I was amazed at just how much had been completed.  What I found to be interesting was that some elements were being opened to traffic as soon as possible.  For example, when I was driving northbound, I noticed that the new exit ramp for the Tapp Road intersection was both opened to traffic and signed with the correct exit number.  The bridge over the interstate is not there, but traffic can exit on the new exit ramp.  I saw the similar thing when driving southbound later in the day; a new exit ramp for Sample Road was opened and signed.  If time hadn't been an issue, I would have flipped on my vehicle's lights and snapped some photos.  I initially had my doubts, but it appears that the August 2018 substantial completion target is very achievable.  I think that the fairly mild winter that Indiana has had (so far-knocking on wood) is a great help.

it's showing up on google now

Rick Powell

Quote from: NE2 on December 12, 2017, 01:00:01 PM
I think that the fairly mild winter that Indiana has had (so far-knocking on wood) is a great help.
Looks like another global warming feedback loop has been discovered: warmer weather -> more highways built -> more driving -> warmer weather

Don't worry, it'll be OK in 20 years with all those Tesla semis on the road, and the Norks now being able to control the weather.

silverback1065

Per INDOT:
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. (Dec. 14, 2017) — Motorists traveling between Bloomington and Martinsville on SR 37 will notice changes to traffic patterns and access points beginning on Friday, Dec. 15. The lane shifts and new access will allow crews to get SR 37 ready for a winter configuration that will have four lanes of traffic moving both north and south bound in most of the corridor.
On Friday, northbound traffic on SR 37 between the Sample Road interchange and Crossover Road will be shifted onto the new I-69 northbound travel lanes.  Access on and off this stretch of the northbound roadway will be limited to East Sample/Wayport Road.  When northbound traffic moves to new I-69 pavement, the current SR 37 northbound lanes will become a bidirectional access road for homes and businesses east of SR 37.
Southbound motorists get to the new access road by turning left off of SR 37 at East Sample/Wayport; northbound motorists get to the new access road by turning right at East Sample/Wayport.  Motorists traveling north on Wayport Road can get to the new access road by using the East Sample roundabout. Because the new access road is bidirectional, motorists are urged to use caution and turn signals when entering and exiting the roadway.
Direct access to the Mobile/Circle K gas station from SR 37 will be eliminated.  Customers will need to go south on the East Sample/Wayport access road to reach the service station and Nature's Way.  Bloomington Auto Parts, Worm's Way, Inc., Oliver Winery, Fox Hollow Road, the Family Life Worship Center and Parker Pools can be accessed by traveling north on the new access road (old SR 37 northbound lanes) from East Sample/Wayport.   
U-turns at the northern and southern ends of the new northbound travel lanes will be located at Crossover Road and the East Sample/Wayport access road just north of the Sample Road overpass. Northbound motorists needing access to the west side of the highway will need to make a U-turn at Crossover Road and proceed southbound to Lee Paul Road.
In addition, on Monday, Dec. 18, southbound traffic entering the northern limits of the construction zone at Indian Creek will be placed on new I-69 pavement, separating it from northbound traffic that will remain on the current SR 37 northbound lanes.  Both north and south bound traffic will remain in single lanes, allowing crews to continue with patching, paving and maintenance operations as long as the weather permits.
INDOT reminds all motorists that work will continue at various points in the construction zone throughout the winter, and the posted speed limit remains 45 mph.  Motorists are urged to be aware of the new lane configurations and changes in traffic patterns, and to always drive safely and for the conditions.

thefro

Kind of a sidebar, but I found why "That Road" has the name it does

https://midimagic.sgc-hosting.com/i69conn.htm

QuoteVisitors and new residents always ask the question, "Why do you have a road named 'That Road' here?" The name conjures up the thought of an Abbott & Costello skit.
Here is the story of That Road:
Originally most of the county roads had Rural Route designations with the US Post Office. In addition people had various informal names for roads. But in 1954, the Post Office required all US counties to name all of their roads.
Most counties with rectangular grids just named the roads with numbers which are 100 times the number of miles the road is from the most important road running in the same direction. For example, the north-south road 2 miles east of the main north-south road would be named 200 E (note that moving the alignment of the major road later does not change the road names). A few of these were misunderstood (a mapmaker once accidently labeled 600 N as "Goon Road").
In counties with hilly terrain, this did not work. Very few roads run straight north and south or east and west. So the roads had to have names other than numbers. Monroe County is one of these counties. So in 1954, the County Commissioners had a meeting to name all of the roads. They named many of the roads according to the informal names people used, where the road goes, or the name of a prominent person living on the road. In some cases, they misunderstood the informal name of the road ("Hartstrait Road" for what was called the "hard straight road").
Originally people informally referred to three roads that came together at one point as "Victor Pike", because they were the way to go to Victor. Since the Post Office rules required that only one length of road could have a given name, they had to come up with a new name for at least one of the roads that merged to form Victor Pike. Since the road going to Victor met the other legs as the stem of a T-intersection, they decided that both of the other legs needed the new name.
One commissioner kept getting confused about which road was which. They kept having to point roads out to him on the map (after which he usually said, "Oh! That road!"). He said that about the road leading to the beginning of Victor Pike more than for any other road.
A game was coming up, and the commissioners wanted to end the meeting so they would not miss the game. So they named the road "That Road" and adjourned

GreenLanternCorps

With the excessively cold weather and the holidays, what work, if any has been done on I-69 SIU-3 Section 5?

How cold does it have to get to stop construction?  Did they stop work around Christmas and New Year's at all?

silverback1065

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on January 02, 2018, 12:10:17 PM
With the excessively cold weather and the holidays, what work, if any has been done on I-69 SIU-3 Section 5?

How cold does it have to get to stop construction?  Did they stop work around Christmas and New Year's at all?

I'm going to say 0 work, with the negative temps in all! But I could be wrong...

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: silverback1065 on January 02, 2018, 12:24:02 PM
Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on January 02, 2018, 12:10:17 PM

I'm going to say 0 work, with the negative temps in all! But I could be wrong...
And snow.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

ITB

Here's a mid-winter photo update of the Tapp Road construction work zone. Pictures were taken January 6, 2018, unless otherwise noted.

Looking north toward the future Tapp Road/I-69 interchange in Monroe County, Indiana. On the right is the northbound exit ramp to Tapp. The ramp was opened to traffic in mid-December, as was the corresponding northbound I-69 entrance ramp from Tapp. On the left is the not-yet-paved southbound entrance ramp to I-69. Work to build the sound wall between Tapp and Fullerton Road (left) also is underway.

Construction of the overpass that will carry Tapp Road over future I-69; looking east.

Looking north toward the future southbound ramp from Tapp Road to future I-69.

Stacks of MSE (Mechanically Stabilized Earth) panels to be used to construct the western abutment of the Tapp Road overpass; looking north.

Mid-range view of work underway on the future Tapp Road overpass; looking northeast.

A slightly closer look; looking northeast.

Looking north toward the construction work zone in the vicinity of the future Tapp Road/I-69 interchange.

Another perspective; looking north.

Long range view, looking north, of the work zone near Tapp Road.

Still yet another perspective.

Looking west toward Tapp Road and future western traffic circle of the Tapp Road/I-69 interchange.

A closer view of the future overpass that will carry Tapp Road over Interstate 69; looking east.

Construction of the sound wall between Tapp and Fullerton Road; looking north.

As the ground is frozen, about the only work that can conducted at this time is bridge work. In the upcoming week, temperatures are projected to rise to the mid-50s for a couple of days. It's a good bet Force Construction–the subcontractor for bridge work–will have crews out at Tapp and elsewhere. Using the above pictures as a base, let's see how much progress is made between now and March.

Interstate 69 Fan

INDOT has announced on Facebook I-69 Section 5 will Open in August, which we all know won't occur.

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on January 10, 2018, 07:56:39 AM
INDOT has announced on Facebook I-69 Section 5 will Open in August, which we all know won't occur.

Depends on what you mean by "Open". 

Is it possible to have a freeway from Bloomington to Martinsville that meets basic interstate standards and be signed as I-69?  Yes. 

Is all construction on that stretch of road going to be completed by August?  No.

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: ITB on January 06, 2018, 10:14:38 PM

Here's a mid-winter photo update of the Tapp Road construction work zone. Pictures were taken January 6, 2018, unless otherwise noted.

Looking north toward the future Tapp Road/I-69 interchange in Monroe County, Indiana. On the right is the northbound exit ramp to Tapp. The ramp was opened to traffic in mid-December, as was the corresponding northbound I-69 entrance ramp from Tapp. On the left is the not-yet-paved southbound entrance ramp to I-69. Work to build the sound wall between Tapp and Fullerton Road (left) also is underway.

Construction of the overpass that will carry Tapp Road over future I-69; looking east.

Looking north toward the future southbound ramp from Tapp Road to future I-69.

Stacks of MSE (Mechanically Stabilized Earth) panels to be used to construct the western abutment of the Tapp Road overpass; looking north.

Mid-range view of work underway on the future Tapp Road overpass; looking northeast.

A slightly closer look; looking northeast.

Looking north toward the construction work zone in the vicinity of the future Tapp Road/I-69 interchange.

Another perspective; looking north.

Long range view, looking north, of the work zone near Tapp Road.

Still yet another perspective.

Looking west toward Tapp Road and future western traffic circle of the Tapp Road/I-69 interchange.

A closer view of the future overpass that will carry Tapp Road over Interstate 69; looking east.

Construction of the sound wall between Tapp and Fullerton Road; looking north.

As the ground is frozen, about the only work that can conducted at this time is bridge work. In the upcoming week, temperatures are projected to rise to the mid-50s for a couple of days. It's a good bet Force Construction–the subcontractor for bridge work–will have crews out at Tapp and elsewhere. Using the above pictures as a base, let's see how much progress is made between now and March.

How much of the new lanes for I-69 north of Bloomington have been completed?   Is it in the final configuration with the local access road yet?

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on January 10, 2018, 08:41:07 AM

Is it possible to have a freeway from Bloomington to Martinsville that meets basic interstate standards and be signed as I-69?  Yes. 

Is all construction on that stretch of road going to be completed by August?  No.
What I mean by open, is the new lanes & exits will open to traffic in August. My guess is they won't sign it as 69 until 2019.

abqtraveler

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on January 10, 2018, 10:44:40 AM
Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on January 10, 2018, 08:41:07 AM

What I mean by open, is the new lanes & exits will open to traffic in August. My guess is they won't sign it as 69 until 2019.

I think INDOT intends to reach substantial completion by August, although some remaining work like signs, guardrails, and punch list items will continue beyong August. Normally punch list work wouldn't hold up an interstate designation.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.