News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inkyatari

Quote from: westerninterloper on March 01, 2018, 07:38:22 PM
I could see US 41/150 becoming an expressway, but not a freeway. Limited access upgrades around Sullivan and Clinton, as well as a full bypass of Terre Haute, would be an economical way to reduce travel times. North of Clinton, bypassing the few traffic lights would serve the purpose. A full-limited access highway between Terre Haute and Gary isn't warranted, and probably isn't south of TH either. My family lives off US 41 south of Terre Haute, and limiting county road access in those parts would be a real hassle.

I could see 41 becoming a freeway from 80/94 down to just past Cedar Lake, but that's about it.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Henry

Quote from: thefro on March 01, 2018, 09:39:06 AM
Quote from: silverback1065 on February 28, 2018, 04:48:11 PM
Quote from: Life in Paradise on February 28, 2018, 03:31:13 PM
To all of those naysayers who protested I-69 stating that US41 Upgrade to I-70 would only take 15 minutes more, the article here states that just the Martinsville to I-465 stretch will save on average 11 minutes.  I know I save at least 30 minutes on the trip to Bloomington (45 minutes with traffic on the two lanes).  This road is making a major improvement.  It's just too bad that I'm going to be near retirement when the road is finally completed.

so glad this route was chosen, the us 41 idea was absurd.

I don't think it's absurd, but the I-69 route chosen serves Indiana much better than upgrading US-41 to interstate standards.  You get direct Interstate access from Evansville to Bloomington to Indianapolis (hitting Washington, Crane Naval, Martinsville and the growing suburbs on the S. Side of Indy on the way).

Evansville to Terre Haute to Chicago doesn't serve local needs nearly as well.  Not much else along that route except for Vincennes until you hit the Region.
FWIW, the current I-69 routing makes a lot more sense than the US 41/I-70 thing. Much more direct, and it continues the NE-SW trajectory that is present in the original Fort Wayne-Lansing-Flint-Port Huron route and the one in TX (and will be in the future extensions further south).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

westerninterloper

The only reason that leg makes more sense is because of Bloomington. Otherwise, we'd have to say the same thing about the Kentucky leg of I-69, which is essentially an angular 41-70 route. My fam in SW Indiana (Vincennes area) uses the highway frequently to get to Bloomington, but from their locations, 41-70 to Indy is about the same distance, especially with the finally-complete Terre Haute bypass. Once the construction north of Bloomington is done, it might change that equation, but for now they stick with 41/70.
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

Revive 755

I could see US 41/150 becoming an expressway, but not a freeway. Limited access upgrades around Sullivan and Clinton, as well as a full bypass of Terre Haute, would be an economical way to reduce travel times. North of Clinton, bypassing the few traffic lights would serve the purpose. A full-limited access highway between Terre Haute and Gary isn't warranted, and probably isn't south of TH either.

Disagree.  A full freeway alternative to I-65 would be a very useful corridor for both cars and trucks to get between Chicago, Nashville, Atlanta, and Florida without having to go through Indianapolis or Louisville, and would serve as a relief for the NW Indiana bottleneck, especially if somehow tied into IL 394.

mgk920

Quote from: Revive 755 on March 02, 2018, 10:08:41 PM
I could see US 41/150 becoming an expressway, but not a freeway. Limited access upgrades around Sullivan and Clinton, as well as a full bypass of Terre Haute, would be an economical way to reduce travel times. North of Clinton, bypassing the few traffic lights would serve the purpose. A full-limited access highway between Terre Haute and Gary isn't warranted, and probably isn't south of TH either.

Disagree.  A full freeway alternative to I-65 would be a very useful corridor for both cars and trucks to get between Chicago, Nashville, Atlanta, and Florida without having to go through Indianapolis or Louisville, and would serve as a relief for the NW Indiana bottleneck, especially if somehow tied into IL 394.

My musings regarding the US 41 corridor south of Chicagoland have all involved building a new-ROW crossover between US 41 and IL 394 somewhere in the Beecher, IL/Cedar Lake, IN area.  IMHO, I-route or not, this would be a natural feed into the metro area.

Although this part my be wandering off into the 'Fictional/Fantasy Highways' realm, I've also mused a lot of rerouting I-94 to replace I-294 around the Chicago and having a southward extension of I-41 replace I-94 through the city as part of this.  Then both I-routes would pass directly through the Lansing/South Holland, IL interchange with no turns ('KISS' factor here).

Mike

Life in Paradise

A freeway US-41 (or interstate) would be a big plus for the I-65 corridor, as Indiana and Kentucky are busy working on 6 laning the road from Chicago to the Tennessee line.  Two of the biggest holdups will be the Terre Haute bypass and the Ohio River bridge for I-69.  Both would relieve bottlenecks.

silverback1065

per INDOT:

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. (March 4, 2018) — The traffic shift in the northern section of the construction zone was completed and in place by 9 p.m. Saturday. Crews are already mobilized for reconstruction of the northbound lanes of SR 37 and bridge work will focus initially on Jordan Creek and Little Indian Creek structures.
Elsewhere in the construction zone for the week of March 5:
-   The right lane of northbound SR 37 will be closed just before the Fullerton Pike interchange for the installation of new overhead signage.
-   The right lanes of both northbound and southbound SR 37 at Tapp Road will be closed daily from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday for ongoing bridge work and to treat the median subgrade in preparation for paving operations.
-   Cota Drive and Rex Grossman Drive will be closed on Saturday and Sunday to allow for pavement removal and paving operations in the medical park adjacent to the southeast ramp at Tapp Road.
-   Work continues on the 2nd Street Bridge with no changes in traffic configuration. Traffic on the bridge deck is reduced to one lane eastbound and one lane westbound. Motorists can expect delays, especially during morning and evening rush hours.
-   At the 3rd Street Bridge, the eastbound right lane will be closed daily from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. for the entire week for pavement removal and bridge construction. Motorists can expect delays, especially during morning and evening rush hours.
-   The left lane of northbound SR 37 between 2nd Street and 3rd Street will be closed daily for drainage work adjacent to the median barrier wall.
-   Work continues at the interchange of SR 37 and SR 46.  The right lane of southbound SR 37 to the westbound SR 46 ramp will be closed daily for shoulder work. Also, there will be no access to northbound SR 37 from eastbound SR 46 to allow for basin excavation and other interchange work. These daily restrictions will be in place all week.
-   The intersection of Acuff and Prow roads east of SR 37 will be closed until on or around April 15 for intersection improvements. Motorists traveling along Arlington Road seeking to access Acuff Road will be directed by route markers to 17th Street and along Kinser Pike.  Motorists on Kinser Pike seeking to access Prow Road will be directed by route markers to 17th Street and along Arlington Road.
-    The left lane of northbound SR 37 from Arlington Road to Kinser Pike will be closed daily Wednesday through Friday to allow for median drainage work.
-    There will be daily single lane restrictions on both north and southbound SR 37 at Sample Road to allow for continuing bridge work.
-   The right lane of southbound SR 37 from Bryant's Creek to Chambers Pike will be closed from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily for boring and drainage improvements.
-   The right lane of northbound SR 37 will be closed daily from Fox Hollow Road to Chambers Pike for shoulder improvements and drainage work.
To avoid possible congestion in the northern portion of the work zone, motorists are encouraged to use the alternate routes of SR 46 east to I-65 north and SR 46 west to SR 67 north.
As the volume of construction activity increases, motorists are urged to reduce their speed, pay attention to changing traffic conditions, and drive with no distractions.  All construction activity is weather dependent and the schedule is subject to change.

ilpt4u

Does Bloomington really need a Rex Grossman Drive?

Sexy Rexy did get Da Bears to a Super Bowl, I guess...

tdindy88

And helped the Colts to win it! Perfect reason to keep the name.

ITB

On Sunday, March 4, I went out for a look-see, as winter is coming to an end. It appears INDOT and its contractors have made significant progress over the December-February time period. Among the more noticeable results, bridge beams were put in place at both the Tapp Road and Sample Road overpasses. A lot of work still remains, but it looks promising that Section 5 will substantially complete by INDOT's stated deadline of August 31, now less than six months away.

Here's a few pictures. Photos were taken March 4, 2018, unless otherwise noted. To expand the photos, Right Click, select View Image.

Looking north toward the Sample Road overpass and interchange in Monroe County, Indiana. The bridge beams for the eastern half of the overpass were set overnight Tuesday, February 27th. Note that the former northbound lanes of State Road 37 have been torn up prior to the overpass, but are visible in background (right) as the local access road. Currently, vehicles are able to access the access road and points east at a temporary crossing just beyond the overpass (note the white car at the crossing). The road in the foreground also is the access road, and it intersects with the old SR 37 northbound lanes just east (right) of the white car.

Looking south toward State Road 37 from near the overpass that will carry Sample Road over future Interstate 69. The road in the background is the eastern local access road that will link into the Sample Road interchange. It's the same section of roadway pictured in the above photo. The road on the right appears to be an entrance ramp, but it's actually the western local access road that links, as well, into the Sample Road interchange.

Looking north from near the Sample Road overpass toward SR 37. Note the vehicles utilizing the temporary crossing point to reach the local access road. It is at that location that the old northbound lanes of SR 37 become the bi-directional access road to points north, up to Chambers Pike. In the foreground is the entrance ramp from Sample Road to southbound SR 37.

Vehicle navigating the entrance ramp from Sample Road to SR 37 south; looking north. Only the ramps to/from southbound SR 37 are open to traffic at this time.

The future overpass that will carry Sample Road over Interstate 69; looking east.

Signage on the approach to the western traffic roundabout of the Sample Road interchange; looking east. Of interest are the covered I-69 shields, as well as directional arrow indicating Indianapolis.

Another perspective of the ramps to/from southbound SR 37 at the partially open Sample Road interchange; looking north.

More pictures to come.

Interstate 69 Fan

August 31 seems really far ahead, considering how fast construction is moving now, I'd say May 31.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

AsphaltPlanet

I shot a video of the recently opened section of I-69 south of Bloomington last summer.  The video finishes with some of the construction on SR-37.  Seeing as the video was shot in July, it's not up to date showing the construction progress, but I thought it might be interesting to some of the people here nevertheless:

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

seicer

Henry

Quote from: seicer on March 07, 2018, 08:50:39 AM
Nice!
I'm sure that the rest of I-69 will be too when it's completed all the way back to Indy! :sombrero:
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ITB

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on March 07, 2018, 07:03:26 AM
I shot a video of the recently opened section of I-69 south of Bloomington last summer.  The video finishes with some of the construction on SR-37.  Seeing as the video was shot in July, it's not up to date showing the construction progress, but I thought it might be interesting to some of the people here nevertheless:

Very well put together. Thanks for posting!

silverback1065

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on March 06, 2018, 03:05:42 PM
August 31 seems really far ahead, considering how fast construction is moving now, I'd say May 31.

INDOT had a meeting on it today at road school, learned nothing new, other than that they still plan on it being done in august.  also they are starting to get the r/w for the portion north of martinsville.

ITB

Here's another batch. Photos were taken Sunday, March 4, unless otherwise noted.

Looking south toward the Sample Road overpass and interchange from a vantage point about one mile north. At this time, the interchange is only open to traffic to and from southbound SR 37.

The view looking north from near SR 37 and Simpson Road. Along this section, both the western (left) and eastern local access roads run parallel to the mainline, making from a broad expanse of roadway. Hundreds of yards of guardrail, as well as sections of concrete barrier wall, have been utilized to ensure safety between the mainline and the access roads.

Closer perspective looking north.

Looking north from near SR 37 and Fox Hollow Road. For orientation, Fox Hollow Road is about 1 1/2 miles north of Sample Road. It juts off east from the old northbound SR 37 lanes near the Parker Pools business (seen in the above photos). Adjacent to the new northbound mainline is the old northbound roadway of SR 37, which now will be utilized as a local access road. At this time, the access road lanes are closed north of Fox Hollow Road. Around the curve (right), the old SR 37 northbound lanes once again become the mainline north. Earthwork is now underway (right) to extend the access road to Chambers Pike, which is located about where the water tower is. To the left of the concrete barrier wall, sub-base and base material have been applied for a segment of the western access road.

Closer look at the construction underway between Fox Hollow Road and Chambers Pike. Not visible, however, is the under construction overpass that will carry Chambers Pike over the mainline as well as the western access road. It will be located just to the east (right) of where the water tower sits.

Perspective showing the old northbound lanes of SR 37 closed at Fox Hollow Road; looking north.

Another look south toward the Sample Road overpass and interchange. In the foreground right is on the western access road. In the deep background, the eastern local access road is visible. It swings around behind the Mobil/Circle K Mart, intersects with a roundabout on Sample Road, then links into the old northbound lanes of SR 37 (far left).

ITB

A few more. Again, photos were taken Sunday, March 4, 2018, unless otherwise noted.

About 3/4 mile south of Sample Road, earthwork is underway to extend the eastern local access road. It appears the roadbed is to be raised to almost to that of mainline. Fortunately, this rough spot is limited in scope–about 300 yards–after which the terrain becomes more level. Direction: looking south.

Where the pavement ends–the present terminus of the eastern local access road south of Sample Road, as viewed through storm sewer conduits; looking north.

Perspective of the Sample Road overpass and interchange depicting the path of the northbound exit ramp (right); looking north.

Signage at the western roundabout of the Sample Road interchange; looking northwest.

Another view of the Sample Road overpass; looking north. Driveways that previously had direct access to southbound SR 37 now link into the local access road.

Southbound SR 37 signage south of Sample Road; looking south. (Hmm ... now what's that's called ... ah, yes, alliteration!) The overpasses carry, respectfully, N. Walnut Street/College Ave (nearest) and Kinser Pike. You've seen this view before, but with the clearer weather and better light I wanted to see if a better picture could be taken. You be the judge.

This photo of the eastern access road under construction is more popular than others, so here it is.

Just beyond the Sample Road overpass, a truck heads south on SR 37 as evening beings to fall; looking north.

tdindy88

I've always wondered why College Avenue was signed along SR 37. To my knowledge College Avenue doesn't begin until after the SR 45/46 bypass where Walnut Street splits up into the one-way pair with College Avenue. North of there the road is just Walnut Street so why is College Avenue signed here? I guess no one's confused by this, but shouldn't it be signed as "to" College Avenue. I may just be over-complicating things, I was just curious.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: tdindy88 on March 08, 2018, 09:35:25 AM
I've always wondered why College Avenue was signed along SR 37. To my knowledge College Avenue doesn't begin until after the SR 45/46 bypass where Walnut Street splits up into the one-way pair with College Avenue. North of there the road is just Walnut Street so why is College Avenue signed here? I guess no one's confused by this, but shouldn't it be signed as "to" College Avenue. I may just be over-complicating things, I was just curious.

IIRC, the section of Old 37 that runs along Cascades Park is, or at least was, considered to be a part of College Ave. after the 4-lane highway opened.

Google Maps calls that stretch "Old Martinsville Rd."  It was just Old 37 when I lived there (1957-73).
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Life in Paradise

I am truly amazed at the progress speed on this stretch in the past year.  If left to that consortium, I'm not sure that the work would be done even during the year 2020.  I talked to a sub-sub contractor on the project, and he said that there were so many complaints that the work would be here, there, and then over there.  There was nothing that appeared coordinated so that they would have to move construction equipment from one portion of the project to another, when they could have just moved it a few hundred yards to a mile to work on the next portion of the project.  I also fail to see how that would have saved money.

ITB

As it was Sunday, I went out for a drive. The plan was to check out the Liberty Church interchange in Morgan County, however, traffic backed up a little north of Sample Road, so I exited near the Chambers Pike work zone because I didn't want to spend 30 minutes in bumper to bumper. I'll try to make it up to Morgan County in the next couple weeks.

Here's a few pictures. Photos were taken Sunday, March 18, 2018.

Looking north toward the future overpass that will carry Chambers Pike over State Road 37 (future Interstate 69) in Monroe County, Indiana. Work to construct a concrete barrier wall between the southbound mainline and the western local access road is ongoing. The crossing road in the foreground is N. Crossover Road.

Closer look at the future Chambers Pike overpass. It's won't be long before the precast bridge beams will be put in place. This is the only remaining overpass in Section 5 that has yet to have beams installed. Note that the western access road will go under the overpass (right where the excavator sits), and then on a bit will link into Burma Road.

Looking south from near the N. Crossover Road/SR 37 crossing toward the path of the future western local access road. From this point it's about three miles south to the interchange at Sample Road.

The current access point at N. Crossover Road; looking north. It can take some time for a break in the traffic to occur.

Another perspective of the work zone at Chambers Pike; looking north.

Closer look at the concrete barrier wall south of the future Chambers Pike overpass; looking north.

Long range view of the work zone. The gap in the concrete barrier wall is to allow access to N. Crossover Road.

And one more. Quality on Tap!

silverback1065

Here is what INDOT says regarding the progress so far:

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. (March 18, 2018) — Traffic in the northern section of the I-69 Section 5 construction zone remains in single lane configuration on the southbound lanes of SR 37, and connections to both Pine Boulevard and Turkey Track Road (also called Old SR 37 South) to the east are permanently closed. 
The Walnut Street interchange will close on Monday and is expected to remain closed until mid-to-late April. The official detour is the SR 46 interchange approximately 3.5 miles to the south. North Old SR 37 north of the Liberty Church interchange will close on Monday for approximately two weeks to allow for drainage improvements.
The following restrictions will be in place for the week of March 12:
-   The right lanes of both northbound and southbound SR 37 at Tapp Road will be closed daily from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday for ongoing bridge work and to treat the median subgrade in preparation for paving operations.
-   Work continues on the 2nd Street Bridge (SR 45) with no changes in traffic configuration. Traffic on the bridge deck is reduced to one lane eastbound and one lane westbound.
-   At the 3rd Street Bridge (SR 48), beginning Wednesday there will be a single lane closure on westbound 3rd Street from Gates Drive to Liberty Drive to continue work on signal and light pole foundations. The eastbound right lane will be closed daily from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. for pavement removal and bridge construction.
-   There will be daily lane restrictions on both north and southbound SR 37 from 3rd Street (SR 48) to Vernal Pike for median drainage work adjacent to the median barrier wall.
-   Flagging operations will be in place Monday and Tuesday at Industrial Drive west of SR 37 to allow for deep patching and paving operations.
-   From Wednesday through Friday, the left lane of northbound SR 37 will be closed daily from Arlington Road to Kinser Pike for median drainage work.
-   Work continues at the interchange of SR 37 and SR 46.  The right lane of southbound SR 37 to the westbound SR 46 ramp will be closed for the installation of concrete curbing. Eastbound SR 46 traffic can now access SR 37 north, but will do so in a yielded merge condition. Motorists are urged to exercise caution when merging on to SR 37, and come to a complete stop if necessary until it is safe to proceed.
-   The intersection of Acuff and Prow roads east of SR 37 is closed until on or around April 15 to make intersection improvements.
-   There will be daily single lane restrictions on both north and southbound SR 37 at Sample Road to allow for continuing bridge work.
-   All week there will be a daily lane closure of southbound SR 37 from Stone Belt Drive (approximately on mile north of the interchange) to the Walnut Street interchange for pavement milling and placement.
-    The right lane of northbound SR 37 will be closed daily from Fox Hollow Road to Chambers Pike for shoulder improvements and drainage work.
-   North Old SR 37 north of the Liberty Church interchange will be closed for approximately two weeks to allow for drainage improvements in advance of the eventual permanent closure of North Old SR 37.
Motorists traveling north from Bloomington and wishing to avoid potential delays on SR 37 are strongly encouraged to stay off of county roads and use the alternate routes of SR 46 east to I-65 north and SR 46 west to SR 67 north.
As the volume of construction activity increases, motorists are urged to reduce their speed, pay attention to changing traffic conditions, and drive with no distractions.  All construction activity is weather dependent and the schedule is subject to change

ITB

It wasn't the best day for taking pictures, but I decided to motor up to Morgan County to snap a few. I also made a stop near the Chambers Pike work zone.

Despite the wet and chilly weather of the past two weeks, considerable progress continues to be made on Section 5. In northern Monroe County, the bridge beams for the overpass that will carry Chambers Pike over future I-69 were put in place during overnight hours last week. As it rained quite a bit, finding enough time when the work could be carried out safely must have been a challenge. But they did it.

Photos were taken Sunday, April 1, 2018, unless otherwise noted.

Liberty Church Road interchange; Morgan County, Indiana

Looking north toward the future on-ramp to northbound Interstate 69 from Liberty Church Road. Currently, work is underway to replace and widen the mainline bridge over Jordan Creek. The bridge is being expanded to accommodate the northbound on-ramp. On the right is the new local access road that will link into the Liberty Church Road interchange.

Here's where the eastern local access road will intersect with Liberty Church Road; looking north. The road will be tagged Old SR 37 S as about 1/2 mile further on it hooks into Old SR 37.

Long range perspective from near the Liberty Church Road overpass, showing the northbound on-ramp and the adjacent local access road; looking north. Although officially closed to traffic, vehicles (I saw two) are going around barriers to utilize the Liberty Church Road overpass to cross over SR 37.

Another view from the overpass; looking north.

Closer look at the Jordan Creek bridge work just north of the Liberty Church Road overpass; looking north.

Long range view; looking north from the Liberty Church Road overpass. On the left are the bridges over Jordan Creek that carry, respectfully, the western local access road (far left) and the southbound off-ramp to Liberty Church Road.

Another perspective; looking slightly northeast.

ITB

Here's a few more from the Liberty Church Road work zone. Again, photos were taken Sunday, April 1, 2018, unless otherwise noted.

Liberty Church Road interchange work zone; Morgan County, Indiana

Looking south from the overpass that will carry Liberty Church Road over future Interstate 69. At this time, all traffic, both north and southbound, is sharing the southbound  lanes of SR 37, as it was necessary to close the northbound lanes for construction. Crews are currently replacing a bridge over Little Indian Creek (background, red crane) and installing an upgraded culvert (foreground left, yellow crane).

Different perspective; looking south. On the right are the western local access road (far right), which I believe will take the name Turkey Track Road, and the future I-69 southbound on-ramp from Liberty Church Road. The crossing road in the mid-foreground is Liberty Church Road (left) and Godsey Road (right). While Liberty Church is closed off, Godsey Road is currently an access point to SR 37. Note that southbound traffic is using what will be the future shoulder of southbound I-69.

Closer look at the work underway on the northbound lanes just south of the Liberty Church Road overpass. Crews are replacing the mainline bridge over Little Indian Creek (background) and also installing what appears to be a culvert (foreground).

Another look; looking south. Note how the local access road (right) links into Turkey Track Rd., which veers off right into over the hill, after which it intersects with Paragon Road. Paragon Road is a rural arterial that runs west, crossing over the White River just east of Paragon, Indiana. Between Martinsville and Spencer, Indiana, to the southwest, there are only two crossings of the White River–Paragon Road and N. County Line Rd. at Gosport, Indiana. With no planned I-69 interchange at Paragon Road, Godsey Road, which links into the Liberty Church Rd. interchange as well as Paragon Road, will become the area's main arterial. Also note the SR 37 traffic as it crests the hill in the deep background (expand the photo).

Long range perspective looking south from the Liberty Church Road overpass.

And one more, looking south from the overpass, with the base for a sign in the foreground.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.