News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

national highway 1

They could have made the 58 shield white...as a contractor error.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

agentsteel53

there was never a white spade 58.  It got changed from US-466 when the green spades came into existence.  April, 1964
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

jwolfer

Quote from: US71 on December 17, 2010, 09:43:31 AM
Quote from: froggie on December 17, 2010, 09:21:25 AM
Quite possible.

Must be. Highway departments never make mistakes ;)

How can anyone get this wrong it is the same road. And you would think that someone working for a DOT or contractor would have a bit of roadgeek in them and know the difference.  Did they just run out of templates for the US sign?  I remember back in 1990 the state of Florida resurfaced US 90 (Beach Blvd) east of Jacksonville.  For a few months theere were SR 90 shields but then they put up the blue US 90 a few months later.(Oh how I miss the colored shields)   I assumed they were out of US shield templates. 

On the same stretch of road the contractor put up the secret SR 212 on reassuance markers in both directons at SR 9A(future East Beltway I-295)

agentsteel53

Quote from: jwolfer on December 28, 2010, 01:10:48 PMAnd you would think that someone working for a DOT or contractor would have a bit of roadgeek in them and know the difference. 

nope.  drones in sign shops are just like drones everywhere else.  go in, get some work done, go to lunch, work some more, go home, collect a paycheck.  no pride in their work; it's just a way to keep the bills paid. 

jake@aaroads.com

xcellntbuy

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 28, 2010, 01:40:06 PM
nope.  drones in sign shops are just like drones everywhere else.  go in, get some work done, go to lunch, work some more, go home, collect a paycheck.  no pride in their work; it's just a way to keep the bills paid.  
Unfortunately, you are quite right.  Specs are many times, not proof-read, never checked against established standards or the lame excuse of "these are same [specs] we always had and they were fine before.  Who changed them?"  I have been battling this poor mindset in the public sector for years.

jwolfer

Quote from: xcellntbuy on December 28, 2010, 04:42:58 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 28, 2010, 01:40:06 PM
nope.  drones in sign shops are just like drones everywhere else.  go in, get some work done, go to lunch, work some more, go home, collect a paycheck.  no pride in their work; it's just a way to keep the bills paid. 
Unfortunately, you are quite right.  Specs are many times, not proof-read, never checked against established standards or the lame excuse of "these are same [specs] we always had and they were fine before.  Who changed them?"  I have been battling this poor mindset in the public sector for years.

Truly sad that no one would catch these type of errors.  In some states such as NJ where there is no overlap of state and US routes no big deal.  People see a sign for Route 9 there is only one route 9 in the state and it wouldn't matter if in a circle or shield.  But near me in GA there is a multiplex of US 23 and GA 23... It could cause some problems if the mistake were made.

Quillz

Not so much an error as just plain ugly:

Use a wide shield and/or Series C, please don't compress Series D. Also seems to have the "lazy 9" thing going on, too.

agentsteel53

and what font is that on the END banner!?

jake@aaroads.com

Quillz

No idea, maybe Arial. Certainly something non-standard.

Dr Frankenstein

Looks like a bold/black Helvetica or variant thereof.

Ian

Please, that is the best looking I-295 shield you are going to get from RIDOT.  :banghead:
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Michael

Quote from: Quillz on January 03, 2011, 03:38:18 AM
Not so much an error as just plain ugly:

Use a wide shield and/or Series C, please don't compress Series D. Also seems to have the "lazy 9" thing going on, too.

Ugly indeed.  To quote the MUTCD:

All sign lettering shall be in upper-case letters as provided in the "Standard Highway Signs and Markings"  book (see Section 1A.11), unless otherwise provided in this Manual for a particular sign or type of message.
(Chapter 2A, Section 13, Paragraph 10, Page 35)

The unique letter forms for each of the Standard Alphabet series shall not be stretched, compressed, warped, or otherwise manipulated.
(Chapter 2A, Section 13, Paragraph 14, Page 36)

kharvey10

I got mostly older pictures to show, almost all these signs been removed or corrected

upsidedown by Kimmy1978, on Flickr

This was on IL 161 in Marion County back in 1998 - at a time Marion County was NOT in IDiOT District 8 and Clinton County was.  (Marion County was in the Effingham district, and nearby Jefferson County was in Carbondale district - and there were at times none of the IDiOT districts were on the same page on stuff, which explains why a portion of NB 51 south of Centralia is actually in Jefferson County at the same time the SB lanes are in Washington County.)  IDiOT has since realigned their districts and put Marion County in the District 8.

exit26b by Kimmy1978, on Flickr

I took this rather poor picture on SB 255 just north of 55/70 in Spring 1998, and you can barely see that the exit number is 26B.  This was at a spot where IDiOT district 8 headquarters is less than a mile from where I took this picture.

spellingerror by Kimmy1978, on Flickr

Taken in May 2000 on northbound IL 3 just north of 270.  Wood River is 2 words, not 1.

US71

This is a technicality:

It should be BUSINESS 167
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Ian

I'm not really a fan of the newer white/black versions of the Louisiana route shield.  :no: I like the older green design better.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

thenetwork

US71

Quote from: PennDOTFan on January 23, 2011, 02:37:31 PM
I'm not really a fan of the newer white/black versions of the Louisiana route shield.  :no: I like the older green design better.

They still exist, but are getting harder to find. There are lots of the "pre-erosion" signs still out there, too.

agentsteel53

what is "pre-erosion"?  do you refer to the level of detail, or lack thereof, in the state outline?

this 18 incher (1950s standard) was still around in 2006.  it survived the hurricane!

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

jake@aaroads.com

US71

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 23, 2011, 03:07:46 PM
what is "pre-erosion"?  do you refer to the level of detail, or lack thereof, in the state outline?

Yes.

Eth

More from the "US shield where a state shield should be" department (Maryland, in this case)...

OracleUsr

Eth; where is this?  I used to live in Montgomery County
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Eth

It's near the mall in Gaithersburg.

cjk374

Quote from: kharvey10 on January 23, 2011, 08:22:08 AM
I got mostly older pictures to show, almost all these signs been removed or corrected

upsidedown by Kimmy1978, on Flickr

On a railroad, this sign is correct...trackside signals for CTC  (centralized trafic control) systems have the green light on top (highball!) and red on bottom.  But, they don't use signs like this on the railroad.  It was just a funny thought!
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Quillz

Technically an error shield as it's not really shaped properly, but I think it actually looks quite nice:

The upper left corner is a little thinner than the rest of the outline, though.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.