News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-69 in AR (and Pine Bluff I-69 Connector/AR 530)

Started by Grzrd, September 21, 2010, 01:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 41

Too me it appears like most of the DOT money in Arkansas is going to AR 530 and the US 67 (AR226 - US63) freeway. I-69 looks like it will be the main project in about 5 years. I-49 may be finished in about 15 years from Texarkana - Fort Smith. Isn't the US 67 freeway supposed to go to Missouri though? That project seems to be a bigger concern to Arkansas than I-69. For good reason too. A good route between Little Rock and St. Louis. I-49 might also be a long ways away from being finished as it will go through some rough terrain. Arkansas has a lot of future projects, but Arkansas seems to move fairly slow when it comes to actually starting and finishing them. 

I also have to say that I really like the interchange design at I-530 and AR530.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

AHTD

Quote from: dariusb on January 24, 2014, 11:27:22 PM
I was just wondering what are the traffic counts along I-530 in Pine Bluff?

You can find the answer to your question here: http://www.arkansashighways.com/planning_research/technical_services/TrafficCountyMaps/2012ADT/counties/Jefferson_35A.pdf

2012 is the latest count information we have. 2013 will be available in the spring. You can find historical traffic data here: http://www.arkansashighways.com/planning_research/technical_services/traffic_map.aspx
Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

AHTD

Quote from: US 41 on January 24, 2014, 11:33:55 PM
Too me it appears like most of the DOT money in Arkansas is going to AR 530 and the US 67 (AR226 - US63) freeway. I-69 looks like it will be the main project in about 5 years. I-49 may be finished in about 15 years from Texarkana - Fort Smith. Isn't the US 67 freeway supposed to go to Missouri though? That project seems to be a bigger concern to Arkansas than I-69. For good reason too. A good route between Little Rock and St. Louis. I-49 might also be a long ways away from being finished as it will go through some rough terrain. Arkansas has a lot of future projects, but Arkansas seems to move fairly slow when it comes to actually starting and finishing them. 

I also have to say that I really like the interchange design at I-530 and AR530.

The improvement of U.S. 67 from Walnut Ridge to the Missouri line is on hold at this time because Missouri had to back away from a prior commitment to meet us there. Not throwing our friends at MoDOT under the bus, mind you, both states have been in similar circumstances. It happens. But because of this, we are back to square one on how to get from Walnut Ridge and with what type of a facility.

We are in the process of completing a study examining this very question. Once the Arkansas Highway Commission approves it, we'll post it in this forum for review. Should be late spring or summer of this year.

Thank you for the kind comments regarding the I-530/SH530 interchange. That stretch of road opened just this last year and in our working with Google, we got the route to appear on their maps. At this time they have yet to add it to their streetview and live traffic features, but at least you can find it on the map.

bugo

Does I-530 transition into AR 530 and the freeway continues as simply US 63-65-79 or, as I fear, does AR 530 simply split off from I-530 which still ends at the big stack interchange?  Please tell me you guys didn't do that.

NE2

Quote from: bugo on January 26, 2014, 02:55:57 AM
Does I-530 transition into AR 530 and the freeway continues as simply US 63-65-79 or, as I fear, does AR 530 simply split off from I-530 which still ends at the big stack interchange?  Please tell me you guys didn't do that.
Probably the latter, since the Highway 530 exit is signed as exit 44 from I-530: http://pbcommercial.com/sections/news/region/new-state-highway-530-opens.html
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

AHTD

All three U.S. Highways you mention already have a unique (separate) alignment south of Pine Bluff. The sole purpose of State Highway 530 is to provide connectivity to the I-69 Corridor, thus the name I-69 Connector.

There is another project on the drawing board that extends connectivity down to I-20 in Louisiana. This is called the I-69 Extender.

State Highway 530 is only two lanes of an ultimate four-lane facility. What exists now is actually the northbound lanes (same with the Bella Vista Bypass). The Monticello Bypass under construction is also two lanes of the ultimate four. Under construction is what will eventually be the eastbound lanes.

NE2

Quote from: AHTD on January 27, 2014, 12:19:43 AM

All three U.S. Highways you mention already have a unique (separate) alignment south of Pine Bluff. The sole purpose of State Highway 530 is to provide connectivity to the I-69 Corridor, thus the name I-69 Connector.
What he is asking is whether I-530 is still signed beyond the Highway 530 exit. In other words, do I-530 and Highway 530 form a single corridor?

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

AHTD

At this time they are two separate facilities. I-530 does not end at the SH 530 interchange. Will double-check that for you.

bugo

Quote from: AHTD on January 27, 2014, 12:19:43 AM

You don't understand.  I'm talking about the piece of highway between the 530/530 interchange and the big stack at 65B/425. 

The purpose of AR 530, just like any other highway, is provide a route from point A to point B, and those points can be anywhere along the route.  A lot of traffic on this road will be local, and won't be driving on I-69.  If its sole purpose was to connect Pine Bluff with I-69 it wouldn't have any interchanges along it.

There is another project on the drawing board that extends connectivity down to I-20 in Louisiana. This is called the I-69 Extender.

I-69 Extender....sounds kinda kinky.

Road Hog

To I-20 in Louisiana ... That's a lot of freeway for a 3di. Could be the makings for an I-53 to Baton Rouge. Or a recurving I-57.

cjk374

Quote from: Road Hog on January 27, 2014, 08:33:47 AM
To I-20 in Louisiana ... That's a lot of freeway for a 3di. Could be the makings for an I-53 to Baton Rouge. Or a recurving I-57.

Now just where do the powers-that-be plan on tying I-530 with I-20? Then what would be the path of "I-53" to BR?:hmmm: (my apologies to the mods if my questions sound fictional-roadesque)
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Grzrd

Quote from: cjk374 on January 27, 2014, 09:24:51 AM
Now just where do the powers-that-be plan on tying I-530 with I-20? Then what would be the path of "I-53" to BR?:hmmm: (my apologies to the mods if my questions sound fictional-roadesque)

AHTD, do you have any plans, studies, reports, etc. about the I-69 Extender that you can post?

lamsalfl

Yeah I would LOVE I-53 from BR to Natchez to Rayville to Little Rock.  Make it happen!

Henry

I-476 disagrees with you.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

US71

Quote from: Henry on January 27, 2014, 03:08:35 PM
I-476 disagrees with you.

It's a Spur off a Spur.  730 ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Anthony_JK

More like an I-53 or I-51 to Alexandria via US 165/LA 425...with future extension to Lake Charles via US 165.

I can't see LA or MS approving an upgraded US 425 to Ferriday/Natchez, then upgrading US 61 the rest of the way. 165 is the more deserving corridor, especially considering the lack of a  SW/NE I-corridor in LA.

{OOPS....am I getting into Fictional Freeways territory?? Sorry, Steve.}

An I-530 extension to I-20 in Monroe, though, is doable...and it's been in the plans.

US71

Quote from: Anthony_JK on January 29, 2014, 05:02:23 AM

An I-530 extension to I-20 in Monroe, though, is doable...and it's been in the plans.

I read somewhere that AR 530 would eventually become I-530 when completed and existing 530 would revert to US 65 past this junction. Hey Bugo: was it you who was telling me this?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

AHTD

Quote from: Grzrd on January 27, 2014, 09:31:27 AM
Quote from: cjk374 on January 27, 2014, 09:24:51 AM
Now just where do the powers-that-be plan on tying I-530 with I-20? Then what would be the path of "I-53" to BR? :hmmm: (my apologies to the mods if my questions sound fictional-roadesque)

AHTD, do you have any plans, studies, reports, etc. about the I-69 Extender that you can post?

Sure do! Take a look at this feasibility study: http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/I-69_Extender.pdf

NE2

Quote from: AHTD on January 30, 2014, 05:50:41 PM
Sure do! Take a look at this feasibility study: http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/I-69_Extender.pdf
Question: why was a corridor along US 65 to Tallulah not considered? This would better satisfy the supposed 'purpose and need' for a freeway connection to I-20, since it would end up providing a shorter route to I-20 east (and I-20 west traffic would be served by I-69).

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on November 09, 2011, 12:22:50 PM
http://www.bastropenterprise.com/news/x1439481320/Work-starts-today-on-I-69-in-Arkansas
In 2008, the Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development and the AHTD held public meetings in Bastrop and Crossett on a proposed corridor that would connect I-20 in Louisiana to the I-69 extension near Monticello. The proposed routes for a corridor through northeast Louisiana were through Beekman and Perryville to meet I-20 at Monroe and through Mer Rouge and Oak Ridge to meet I-20 at Rayville.
Louisiana DOTD District 5 Engineer Administrator Marshall Hill said the proposed northeast corridor has been supplanted by a planned route on SIU 14 that will go from I-69 in Arkansas down through Haynesville and link to I-20 near Minden.
(above quote from US 425 in LA thread)

Has I-69 truly "supplanted" the Extender, or is I-69 simply higher up the priority chain than the Extender (fully realizing that I-69 will never be completed through Arkansas in my lifetime)?

bugo

Quote from: US71 on January 29, 2014, 10:53:44 AM
Quote from: Anthony_JK on January 29, 2014, 05:02:23 AM

I read somewhere that AR 530 would eventually become I-530 when completed and existing 530 would revert to US 65 past this junction. Hey Bugo: was it you who was telling me this?

That was a possibility that I came up with.  That would explain why US 63/65/79 are signed along this stretch.

Grzrd

Although the recent good news about progress on I-49 in Arkansas is dominating recent news coverage, this April 21 article reports that the Southeast Arkansas Intermodal Facility Authority Board wants the Arkansas Congressional delegation and the Arkansas Highway Commission to be more aggressive in seeking funding for I-69 and AR 530/Future I-530:

During the monthly meeting of the Southeast Arkansas Intermodal Facility Authority Board April 16th conducted in Monticello ....
The meeting concluded with a general discussion about the need to see progress made on the I-530 and I-69 interstate highway projects.  Intermodal Chairman John Lipton taled at lenth about the need for the Arkansas Congressional delegation to work to secure federal funding to get both projects moving.  He made the point that without federal assistance neither would ever be completed.  Nita McDaniel, a board member representing Monticello, voiced her concern that the Arkansas Highway Commission needs to be more aggressive in pushing for both projects.

Unfortunately, the federal money fairy does not seem to have much wherewithal at the moment .....

Bobby5280

I don't see how I-69 in SE Arkansas can become the top priority highway project for the state until there is both definitive progress toward building the Great River Bridge and Mississippi is doing more to build its part of I-69. If I was calling the shots about highway projects in Arkansas I would wait until a lot more of I-69 was built in Texas and Louisiana before building a lot of it in Arkansas.

The biggest economic growth and population growth is happening in NW Arkansas. With the US-67 freeway extension stopping for at least the next few years or so in Walnut Ridge, that would make building segments of I-49 a bigger priority. The Belle Vista bypass is arguably the biggest near term priority. The Fort Smith area needs a new I-49 bridge over the Arkansas River and remodeled interchange with I-40. Texas has to build its sliver of I-49 and contribute for a Red River bridge crossing. From there the two separate "North" and "South" sections of I-49 can work on meeting somewhere in the Ouachita Mountains. I just hope it happens sometime within the next 10-15 years rather than 20-30 years.

richllewis

I-69 in Mississippi is high on MDOT's priority list, but that depends on a funding source. And the legislature appropriated some money, but founded another committee to look at funding for MDOT's road projects to give its report next legislative session in January 2015. And it also depends on the Federal Government's next appropriations for Road Construction. This was the reason that the Secretary of Transportation was in Jackson earlier this month and why he was in Shreveport earlier this week. See https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=12144.0 for more details

Bobby5280

I hope MDOT is able to make as much progress as they can with their segment of I-69. Not to mention I-269 either. But with the method the Federal government is currently using to fund Interstate highway projects (or more accurately, make the states pay a lot more of the cost themselves) I don't see Mississippi generating the funds needed to build all of their portion of I-69 anytime soon.

In the short term, most of the progress we're going to see with the I-69 corridor will be in Texas, a much larger state. Yeah, Texas has its own budget deficit problems, but Texas has more ability to push through major road projects either as freeways or toll roads. They're actively building new stretches of I-69E and I-69C in South Texas. The rest of I-69 is at least getting very well planned and "shovel ready." I have a feeling Texas proceeded with this in a manner of chutzpah with the addition of the I-369 corridor up to Texarkana. Bascially, Texas intends to get their entire part of the I-69 system built for their own specific benefits regardless of what neighboring states are able to manage.

There's only a couple little pieces of the future I-69 corridor built thus far in Arkansas. There's virtually none of it built in Louisiana.

Again, if I am the one calling the shots in Arkansas regarding road construction, I would be putting as much resources as I could behind I-49. That is a corridor that is nearly complete outside of Arkansas. AHTD only has to connect it in-state. A whole lot more has to be done with I-69. If AHTD built most of its segment of I-69 right now it would mostly be a road to nowhere. Texas and Louisiana must be actively at work on their segments of I-69 to make the route viable. And, biggest of all, that Great River Bridge across the Mississippi River, must be funded. None of that is in place at this point.

Until then, the I-49 corridor is something Arkansas has entirely under its control. Missouri is already committed to building their segment of I-49 to meet the Belle Vista Bypass. Texas has every interest in building their short segment of I-49 for their own economic purposes near Texarkana. The other corridors Arkansas is trying to improve are far more iffy. The US-67 freeway (and future I-30/I-57) is stuck ending in Walnut Ridge until Missouri can do something. I-69 is dependent on even more iffy factors.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.