News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Arrowhead Trail from SB to LA?

Started by Exit58, July 21, 2016, 11:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Exit58

I've only recently found out about the Arrowhead Trail and have been able to trace most of it in California except for one piece that I seem to be having a problem with. The section through the Cajon Pass later became US 66, 91, and 395 and upon the southern terminus of the pass went down Cajon/Mt Vernon. The oldest map I could find shows US 66 always being routed along Foothill Blvd/San Bernardino Ave and completely disregards (modern) Arrow Blvd/Rte/Hwy even though, best I can tell, this was still state maintained.

My question is, since LRN 9 is obviously part of the National Trails Hwy thanks to the Madonna of the Trail in Upland, is it possible that Arrow is only named in homage to the former trail not was not actually part of the trail? It just seems to be a waste to have two national trails running parallel through southern California, separated only by a block of vineyards, both with similar terminuses, especially when they were already co-routed from Needles to San Bernardino.

djsekani

Arrow Highway was indeed named for an old pre-interstate trail from Los Angeles to San Bernardino that ran parallel to the more famous Route 66. The Wikipedia article claims that it was part of the Arrowhead Trail, but I can't find anything concrete on that. The map image does suggest that the two are closely related at the very least.

NE2

Sometimes trail associations chose their own routes. For example, the Victory Highway used modern SR 160 through the delta between Sacramento and San Francisco.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

NE2

Quote from: djsekani on July 22, 2016, 02:01:19 PM
Arrow Highway was indeed named for an old pre-interstate trail from Los Angeles to San Bernardino that ran parallel to the more famous Route 66.
Sounds like it was a local project to built a bee-line route between LA and SBD, unrelated to the Arrowhead Highway.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.