Bad day in Twin Cities: four fatal accidents in one day

Started by Papa Emeritus, October 18, 2019, 08:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa Emeritus

Thursday, October 18 was a VERY bad day in the Twin Cities: four fatal accidents in one day, leaving at least five people dead. Friday, October 18 got off to a rough start, with a severe accident at 2:34 AM. Here's a link:

http://www.startribune.com/woman-dies-3-injured-when-speeding-vehicle-hits-parked-minivan-in-north-minneapolis/563364732/

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

kalvado

There are about 100 road fatalities a day in US on average, 1 daily per 3 million population.
Minneapolis MSA population is 3.6 millions, so a daily event. Likely better in good weather, worse if weather not cooperating.
Chicago area with 9.5 millions and crazy traffic... Yes, just call it another day

TheHighwayMan3561

It's really only in the news because one of the accidents involved a guy driving on drugs basically destroying an entire block worth of cars, with the innocent person killed being eight months pregnant which always raises the media profile on those things.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

SEWIGuy

Why are people posting traffic reports here?  Not really relevant.

jeffandnicole

Learn the difference between accidents and crashes. The first incident mentioned in the story was not an accident.

Illinois is averaging  2.5 a day. 1.5 are in metro Chicago. Rural areas are more dangerous based on vehicle miles traveled.
3 troopers have been killed in Illinois this year which is high but overall deaths are way way down. Unusual events get lots of media like the bad day in Minneapolis.
Despite the focus on distraction and speed the real reason is that drinking and driving is down. It's still about a third and that is still too high.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

thspfc

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: SEWIGuy on October 19, 2019, 07:35:16 AM

I have wondered this too. Reports of accidents crashes aren't really about the roads themselves, unless some feature of the road caused the incident. But that doesn't seem to be the case here.

kalvado

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 19, 2019, 10:39:17 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on October 19, 2019, 07:35:16 AM

I have wondered this too. Reports of accidents crashes aren't really about the roads themselves, unless some feature of the road caused the incident. But that doesn't seem to be the case here.
Isolated reports may be a bit off-topic; overall road safety is definitely a part of a big picture

Agree with Kalvado and MN . There will always be crashes but policy to lower them . Problems with road design are relevant.
For all the technology and cars ....I have night vision on my reverse why don't I have it forward yet. Most deer collisions and most fatal accidents are at night.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.