News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Cities that aren't

Started by hotdogPi, April 27, 2018, 05:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

I'd bet Twentynine Palms, CA has more than 29 palm trees.

bing101

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosslyn,_Virginia

Rosslyn, Virginia gets mistaken for a city but its technically unincorporated territory for Arlington County, Virginia.

Scott5114

Quote from: hbelkins on April 30, 2018, 12:09:13 PM
Quote from: SP Cook on April 30, 2018, 11:32:39 AM
I guess I can do West Virginia.

Barrackville.  Named for a guy named Barrack, never was a military barracks.

I think we can guess who it WASN'T named after.  :bigass:

Tom Barrack? :bigass:
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Beltway

Quote from: bing101 on May 04, 2018, 12:42:26 AM
Rosslyn, Virginia gets mistaken for a city but its technically unincorporated territory for Arlington County, Virginia.

Arlington County gets mistaken for a city but has no incorporated towns within its borders.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

renegade

Never let that go, dude.      :pan:
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

abefroman329

Quote from: renegade on May 04, 2018, 03:01:50 PM

Never let that go, dude.      :pan:

I think you mean  :banghead:

bing101

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesterfield

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_town

Chesterfield, England its not a city but technically a designated market town. 

hotdogPi

I don't understand. What is in the name of "Chesterfield" that isn't true about the city itself?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

hbelkins

Another thought - Virginia City in Virginia. There didn't used to be anything there but an intersection between Alternate US 58 and a secondary route until a power plant was built there several years ago.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

english si

Quote from: bing101 on May 06, 2018, 08:53:01 PMChesterfield, England its not a city but technically a designated market town. 
All towns in England before about 1888 (when city status was untied from having an Anglican Cathedral) have a market - as markets were what towns were about. There's very few non-market towns, as most towns created in the 20th century (by Royal Charter, as has been the case for a very long time, though there's very few recorded before 1199) have markets.

If my town stops holding its weekly Tuesday market, or it's annual fair after 800+ years (1199 was the charter), even just once then it technically ceases to be a town as it being a town is conditional on these things. Well until a couple of years ago, when civil Parish Councils have the ability to make themselves Town Councils.
Quote from: 1 on May 06, 2018, 09:04:28 PMI don't understand. What is in the name of "Chesterfield" that isn't true about the city town itself?
FIFY - bing101's point is that it isn't a city, but a town.

But, unlike Reading mentioned upthread, what is it about Chesterfield that makes it worthy of City Status? It's a borough, which is post-1974 (like 'city', though much less prestigious) an honorary title granted by Royal Charter (though, like town status, councils can make themselves boroughs these past few years^) on district councils. Pre-1974 'County Boroughs' (which Chesterfield was not) had county powers, but were still part of an existing county, and boroughs themselves had been stripped of the additional powers Guilliame the Bastard gave them over towns by 1660.

Chesterfield (OK, I've only driven through it twice) doesn't quack like a city in the way Reading, or Milton Keynes*, does - it's not a de facto city that isn't one de jure.

I guess it's ancient borough status worked - the Bastard wanted people to live near castles, so borough residents had more rights and status was given to fortified places. It's not a fort 'chester' in grazing land 'feld' anymore as both have been built over (OK, there are some fields in the borough, which extends beyond the urban area, and even covers the nearby town of Staveley)

^None have, AFAICT, used these new rights to upgrade their status - probably because the places that aren't towns or boroughs view not being so more of a selling point.
*Which I included in this thread due to the 'Borough and New City' signs - it actively claiming to be a city.

english si

Not cities (and not all settlements), but the Isle of Wight has the 'Wonders', some of which are witty, others of which are just there to make up numbers on a postcard. There's been a campaign to retire these terrible postcards, what with it now being the 1980s there (same time as UK, but you need to change your calendar before you board the hovercraft and the non-heritage railway with pre-WW2 trains) and it just not being fitting.

Here are some of the better ones:
  • The "Needles" you cannot thread.
  • "Ryde" where you walk.
  • "Cowes" you cannot milk.
  • "Freshwater" you cannot drink.
  • "Newtown" which is very old.
The worst two of the ten or so ever used are ""Lake" where there is no water" - because its not true as it's on the coast, and ""Winkle street" where there are no Winkles." which is clearly there just to make up the numbers.

abefroman329

Quote from: hbelkins on May 06, 2018, 09:43:25 PM
Another thought - Virginia City in Virginia. There didn't used to be anything there but an intersection between Alternate US 58 and a secondary route until a power plant was built there several years ago.

I didn't even know there was a Virgina City, Virginia.  I thought the only Virginia City was in California.

signalman

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 07, 2018, 08:57:54 AM
I didn't even know there was a Virgina City, Virginia.  I thought the only Virginia City was in California.
The only one that I was aware of is in Nevada, although there very well could be one in California as well.  Interesting enough, the one in NV isn't incorporated as a city.  In fact, I don't think it's incorporated as anything, but rather unincorporated Storey County.

*Edited to fix my geographical error.  Thanks Oscar

oscar

Quote from: signalman on May 07, 2018, 09:30:58 AM
The only one that I was aware of is in Nevada, although there very well could be one in California as well.  Interesting enough, the one in NV isn't incorporated as a city.  In fact, I don't think it's incorporated as anything, but rather unincorporated Washoe Storey County.

FTFY. Virginia City is the county seat of Storey County.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

abefroman329

The only one that I was aware of is in Nevada, although there very well could be one in California as well.  Interesting enough, the one in NV isn't incorporated as a city.  In fact, I don't think it's incorporated as anything, but rather unincorporated Storey County.

*Edited to fix my geographical error.  Thanks Oscar

I might have been thinking of Nevada and not California.  Which is the one mentioned in Westerns and in Back to the Future Part III?

signalman

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 07, 2018, 10:13:03 AM
I might have been thinking of Nevada and not California.  Which is the one mentioned in Westerns and in Back to the Future Part III?
Likely Virginia City, NV.  Westerns aren't my thing and I've never seen Back to the Future Part III; but since you mention western movies, I'm gonna say it's the Nevada one.  The area is rich in mining history and it certainly shows in the buildings.  Take a quick cruise around in GSV if you have the time.

US 89

Virginia City, NV is a census-designated place. And yes, that's another county where the county seat is not an incorporated municipality. Looks like there are several Nevada counties that are like that.

bing101

Quote from: Doctor Whom on April 30, 2018, 03:53:37 PM
In Maryland, Ellicott City and Maryland City are CDP's, and Chesapeake City, Cottage City, and Ocean City are towns.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_County,_Maryland

In Baltimore County, Maryland there are no cities but there are unincorporated territories and CDP's that get mistaken for cities like Hunt Valley

QuoteBaltimore County has no incorporated municipalities located entirely within its boundaries. The following census-designated places recognized by the Census Bureau:

Arbutus
Baltimore Highlands
Bowleys Quarters
Carney
Catonsville
Cockeysville
Dundalk
Edgemere
Essex
Garrison
Hampton
Kingsville
Lansdowne
Lochearn
Lutherville
Mays Chapel
Middle River
Milford Mill
Overlea
Owings Mills
Parkville
Perry Hall
Pikesville
Randallstown
Reisterstown
Rosedale
Rossville
Timonium
Towson (county seat)
White Marsh
Woodlawn

Unincorporated communities
Although not formally Census-Designated Places, these other communities are known locally and, in many cases, have their own post offices and are shown on roadmaps:

Baldwin
Boring
Brooklandville
Butler
Chase
Fork
Fort Howard
Germantown
Glen Arm
Glencoe
Glyndon
Halethorpe
Hereford
Hunt Valley
Hydes
Jacksonville
Long Green
Maryland Line
Monkton
Nottingham
Oella
Parkton
Phoenix
Ruxton
Sparks
Sparrows Point
Stevenson
Turners Station
Upper Falls
Upperco

roadman65

The old name for CBS Studios in Hollywood was called Television City.  Then still you have neighborhoods in LA that are called Studio City and then Universal Studios is not even a neighborhood, but once, like CBS, was called Universal City.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hotdogPi

Quote from: bing101 on May 08, 2018, 10:02:44 PM
missing the point

This thread is about cities or other locations that are named something they're not. Just because it's not a city doesn't make it qualify for this thread unless "City" (or another language equivalent) is actually in the name of the location.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

doorknob60

Idaho:

Hill City - Not a city. Unincorporated community of 26 people. Basically it's nothing at all
Silver City - Ghost Town
Idaho City - Yes it's legally a city, and even the county seat of Boise County, but the name is still misleading (I wouldn't have listed it here if it didn't also have "Idaho" in the name, implying statewide significance). It's somewhat remote and has a population of only 485.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: doorknob60 on May 10, 2018, 01:29:35 PM
Idaho:

Hill City - Not a city. Unincorporated community of 26 people. Basically it's nothing at all
Silver City - Ghost Town
Idaho City - Yes it's legally a city, and even the county seat of Boise County, but the name is still misleading (I wouldn't have listed it here if it didn't also have "Idaho" in the name, implying statewide significance). It's somewhat remote and has a population of only 485.
Alabama City, AL is just a neighborhood in Gadsden, AL.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

roadman65

Quote from: 1 on May 08, 2018, 10:08:47 PM
Quote from: bing101 on May 08, 2018, 10:02:44 PM
missing the point

This thread is about cities or other locations that are named something they're not. Just because it's not a city doesn't make it qualify for this thread unless "City" (or another language equivalent) is actually in the name of the location.
Get used to it. Though we are not supposed to drift many of us do and derail many threads besides this one.  Not on purpose of course, except maybe a few trolls on here and we know who they are. :biggrin:
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

State College, PA
is not a college.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

michravera

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 03, 2018, 09:08:02 AM
Quote from: lepidopteran on May 02, 2018, 07:56:27 PM
Meanwhile, on NBC, during the last 20 years that Johnny Carson hosted The Tonight Show, Ed McMahon's famous schpeil ending in "Heeeeere's Johnny!" used to begin with "Frommmmm Hollywood! The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson".  Only problem is, NBC's studios are on Alameda Ave. in Burbank -- this is in the San Fernando Valley, which is nowhere near Hollywood.

"From Burbank!" wouldn't have jibed well with Carson's regular jokes about Burbank, though.

"Rowan and Martin's Laugh In" made a point of "Beautiful Downtown Burbank".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.