AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
 on: August 17, 2022, 10:12:46 PM 
Started by AlexandriaVA - Last post by webny99
I guess this is obvious from my previous post, but I can see both sides. Generally speaking, I do view it as disingenuous to log an untraveled segment, but there are also shades of variation of sight clinches. If you truly can see the end of the route from where you turn off/turn around, I'm fine with calling that a clinch, especially if it's some obscure state route or something, but that's often not the case with border crossings. Even ones that you'd think would be easy to sight clinch, like I-29, often have long approaches (in that case over 2 miles), curvature approaching the border station, etc.

But to me actually crossing the border is part of the fun of clinching the route. Part of clinching I-29 is crossing into Manitoba, since part of I-29's function in that area is to connect North Dakota and Manitoba, so you haven't really seen all it has to offer if you haven't used it to its end for that purpose. Then again, I probably view border crossings differently than most since I've crossed them enough times that I don't think of it as a big deal (and it really isn't a big deal 99% of the time, although I understand apprehensiveness if you're not used to it.)

I guess it's one of those things that's never going to be one-size-fits-all, so I'm not going to object to how anyone approaches it.

on: August 17, 2022, 10:09:56 PM 
Started by AlexandriaVA - Last post by Rothman

I'm not sure how I feel about sight clinches when it comes to border crossings or other barriers to clinching a route. On the one hand, I understand that it's an inconvenience to cross the border, especially if it's not planned in advance, and you can often (but not always) see the border station from the last waypoint. On the other hand, I'm not sure it's justified to log a segment you haven't traveled on at all (while I view partial segments a little differently).

If I've experienced everything a route has to offer, I consider it clinched. And in the case of a border crossing or whatever, if I can see everything between wherever I turn off and the end of route, I am not really experiencing anything new by physically dragging my tires over it other than wasting my own time. In that case, I'll pass and count it as a clinch.

Some people will only be satisfied with saying a road's clinched if you get out of the car and lick every expansion joint. If that's what you want to do, by all means, have fun with that. But nobody can say I have to, if it reaches the point where it stops being fun and becomes pure tedium.

Oh, I can definitely say that.  And you must.

on: August 17, 2022, 10:06:59 PM 
Started by 1 - Last post by Ted$8roadFan
Why was only the part of MA 25 between MA 24 and I-195 only upgraded to become I-495?

Wouldn’t it have made more sense to extend I-495 the entire length of MA 25?
One thing to keep in mind.  Prior to 1988, MA 25 ended about 1 mile beyond I-195 in Wareham at US 6/MA 28.  When it was decided to have I-495 take over MA 25 from MA 24 to I-195 during the late 70s (after the extension between I-95 & MA 24 was completed circa 1982); many believed that the eastern extension of MA 25 to the Bourne Bridge would never happen.  How the extension would go through/around the cranberry bogs was the main issue that delayed the extension.  One early proposal that never came to fruition had MA 25 extend all the way to MA 3 in Plymouth.

Then I would extend I-195 to the Bourne Bridge, and have MA 25 replace MA 28 on the Cape from Falmouth to Orleans, signing it east-west.  Another route number could be used for MA 28 from Falmouth to the Bourne Bridge (signed north-south).

I would replace I-395 in CT/MA and I-290 with I-695, which would also eliminate the exit number/dual milepost confusion on I-290.  But what to do with I-190?  Give it a different route number, like I-595?  If it's a 3-di Interstate, it doesn't meet its parent.  Maybe assign it a new MA state route number.
While noteworthy, the above is clearly Fictional territory.  :biggrin: Nonetheless, if I-290/395 became I-695; I would simply redesignate I-190 as I-395.

This is one reason why it took so long:

https://www.wgbh.org/news/2017/10/02/local-news/how-grazing-fields-farm-changed-how-we-build-highways

on: August 17, 2022, 10:06:45 PM 
Started by X99 - Last post by SoDakInterstateEnthusiast
Ah, the legendary Rapid City pavement quality. Has the LaCrosse Walmart increased in busyness since the construction at 5th and Stumer?

Aberdonians, especially those residing near 5th Ave and 2nd St: "Am I a joke to you?"  :-D

on: August 17, 2022, 09:55:27 PM 
Started by bluecountry - Last post by PHLBOS
(190 being orphaned from another x90 is bothersome if 290 were renumbered. Would it need to become an x95? Probably not necessarily, but it would be more consistent--if they are that worried about 290 vs. 295, then they should be worried about an orphan x90 too.)
Personally, and granted this is fictional territory, if I-290/395 were to become I-695; one solution to the I-190 orphaning issue would be to have it redesignated as I-395.  Problem solved.

on: August 17, 2022, 09:47:30 PM 
Started by txstateends - Last post by webny99
In Buffalo, NY, blue street blades are more common than green ones in most parts of the city.

Same with Rochester, and there are also brown street blades in some neighborhoods.

on: August 17, 2022, 09:47:06 PM 
Started by 1 - Last post by PHLBOS
Why was only the part of MA 25 between MA 24 and I-195 only upgraded to become I-495?

Wouldn’t it have made more sense to extend I-495 the entire length of MA 25?
One thing to keep in mind.  Prior to 1988, MA 25 ended about 1 mile beyond I-195 in Wareham at US 6/MA 28.  When it was decided to have I-495 take over MA 25 from MA 24 to I-195 during the late 70s (after the extension between I-95 & MA 24 was completed circa 1982); many believed that the eastern extension of MA 25 to the Bourne Bridge would never happen.  How the extension would go through/around the cranberry bogs was the main issue that delayed the extension.  One early proposal that never came to fruition had MA 25 extend all the way to MA 3 in Plymouth.

Then I would extend I-195 to the Bourne Bridge, and have MA 25 replace MA 28 on the Cape from Falmouth to Orleans, signing it east-west.  Another route number could be used for MA 28 from Falmouth to the Bourne Bridge (signed north-south).

I would replace I-395 in CT/MA and I-290 with I-695, which would also eliminate the exit number/dual milepost confusion on I-290.  But what to do with I-190?  Give it a different route number, like I-595?  If it's a 3-di Interstate, it doesn't meet its parent.  Maybe assign it a new MA state route number.
While noteworthy, the above is clearly Fictional territory.  :biggrin: Nonetheless, if I-290/395 became I-695; I would simply redesignate I-190 as I-395.

on: August 17, 2022, 09:38:48 PM 
Started by roadman65 - Last post by Scott5114
Isn't this just a warmed-over I-66 proposal?

on: August 17, 2022, 09:36:39 PM 
Started by roadman65 - Last post by Ned Weasel
the prospective governor

Cut the politics.

on: August 17, 2022, 09:36:20 PM 
Started by AlexandriaVA - Last post by Scott5114
I'm not sure how I feel about sight clinches when it comes to border crossings or other barriers to clinching a route. On the one hand, I understand that it's an inconvenience to cross the border, especially if it's not planned in advance, and you can often (but not always) see the border station from the last waypoint. On the other hand, I'm not sure it's justified to log a segment you haven't traveled on at all (while I view partial segments a little differently).

If I've experienced everything a route has to offer, I consider it clinched. And in the case of a border crossing or whatever, if I can see everything between wherever I turn off and the end of route, I am not really experiencing anything new by physically dragging my tires over it other than wasting my own time. In that case, I'll pass and count it as a clinch.

Some people will only be satisfied with saying a road's clinched if you get out of the car and lick every expansion joint. If that's what you want to do, by all means, have fun with that. But nobody can say I have to, if it reaches the point where it stops being fun and becomes pure tedium. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.