News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: 7/8 on July 18, 2016, 05:49:12 PM
And arguably the strangest one, this one has a bold font, but also includes the "km/h" as black-on-white together with the rest of the sign!

Looks like one of the BC speed limit signs floated cross-country:

7/8

Quote from: jakeroot on July 18, 2016, 08:58:34 PM
And arguably the strangest one, this one has a bold font, but also includes the "km/h" as black-on-white together with the rest of the sign!

Looks like one of the BC speed limit signs floated cross-country:

It does look pretty similar, eh? :)

Could Ontario borrow some of those 120 km/h signs?  ;-)

jakeroot

Quote from: 7/8 on July 18, 2016, 09:32:08 PM
Could Ontario borrow some of those 120 km/h signs?  ;-)

Sure! Once they get with the times.

7/8

I've seen a couple interesting ones in Waterloo I plan on taking pictures of next week :)

I ended up taking the pictures this week, so here's some more speed limit signs! :) I'll also note that some of these ones say "C of K" (i.e. City of Kitchener) even though they're all in Waterloo :eyebrow: The second last sign is the easiest one for reading the "C of K"

The 6 looks a bit more bolded than the 0 (it's more pronounced from a distance). It also seems a bit out of alignment vertically. This one is on Columbia St west of Hagey Blvd.

I was taking pictures for work and I sneaked in the speed limit sign ;-) This one has a bolded, though nice looking, font. This is on Woolwich St west of Kiwanis Park Dr.

The first one is a standard font sign on Erbsville Rd north of Columbia St. The second one I found to be more subtle, though now that I'm looking at the photo, it's easy to tell them apart. It's found on Wideman Rd west of Erbsville Rd.

A round, bold font sign on Benjamin Rd west of Weber St (I guess this is technically in Woolwich since this road is the dividing line between the city and township)

Lastly, a ridiculously bold and strange font on this one from Lexington Rd west of Bridge St

SignGeek101

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

NoGoodNamesAvailable

noelbotevera

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

kphoger

That's exactly it.  The sign is immediately after the turn to Noodle.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

bootmii

Born again roadgeek from California.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

SignGeek101

Good luck reading this from the road:

https://goo.gl/maps/fFv3xouDRjT2

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SignGeek101

vdeane

Are you by any chance using the mouse wheel to zoom in to street view?  That might be why.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jakeroot

Quote from: vdeane on July 24, 2016, 06:53:25 PM
Are you by any chance using the mouse wheel to zoom in to street view?  That might be why.

It was pointed at the ground when I loaded the link.

SignGeek101

Sigh..

This is what I was trying to post:

If you can't read it, it says 'Yield to all lanes' and the same in french below it.

riiga

One of the tiniest text signs for motorists I've ever seen. Feels quite useless too with the large yield sign already there.

PurdueBill

Quote from: riiga on July 25, 2016, 11:20:37 AM
One of the tiniest text signs for motorists I've ever seen. Feels quite useless too with the large yield sign already there.

Reminds me of many signs for yard sales, etc. that people put up expecting motorists to see them--only they write in such insanely tiny lettering on small paper that no one could possibly see it.
Making signage for a bike race, I had lettering nearly 8 inches tall to spell things like FEED ZONE and some people thought the signs were far, far oversized--until they saw them in operation and realized that they were probably at about the bare minimum to be seen by fast-moving bikes as well as lead, follow, and wheel cars and even spectators from a short distance away.  The previous signage was on a single 8.5x11 sheet....

1995hoo

This is one of my favorite signs and I've seen it in 2012 and 2014, but this afternoon was the first time I had a chance to get a picture. It's near the southern end of Bonaventure Boulevard in Weston, Florida, as you approach Griffin Road. I have no idea what legal authority (statute, city regulation, whatever) supports the sign, and I wonder how many people don't know what "queue" means. But I love the sign.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: SignGeek101 on July 24, 2016, 09:27:28 PM
Sigh..

This is what I was trying to post:

If you can't read it, it says 'Yield to all lanes' and the same in french below it.

This is a clear case of ts;dr.
Too small don't read XD
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

PHLBOS

Quote from: SignGeek101 on July 24, 2016, 09:27:28 PM

Such reminds me of the signs PennDOT erected at its Welcome Center along I-95 northbound in Delaware County when the building was completely overhauled several years ago.

The small silver signs were erected first and the small blue signs were added later following my send a complaint letter to PennDOT on the matter.  It's as if the road was being signed for pedestrians and/or bicycles (which aren't allowed on Interstates) rather than motor vehicles.

Certainly doesn't meet MUTCD criteria for sign sizes.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 27, 2016, 11:42:58 PM
This is one of my favorite signs and I've seen it in 2012 and 2014, but this afternoon was the first time I had a chance to get a picture. It's near the southern end of Bonaventure Boulevard in Weston, Florida, as you approach Griffin Road. I have no idea what legal authority (statute, city regulation, whatever) supports the sign, and I wonder how many people don't know what "queue" means. But I love the sign.

Well, simply barging your way over into the other lane, regardless of the presence of another vehicle and expecting everyone else to adjust to your maneuver...  That would certainly constitute an illegal lane change.  That's really only an issue in stand-still traffic, though.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.