News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

This sign assembly in Kalispell, MT. This could get confusing pretty fast.
The blurred part of the red sign reads "MON-WED-FRI".

Jim

This could go in many threads, but I decided it deserves to be in one with "ugly" in the title.  Even without the US 144/Virginia 144 mixup, it's ugly.  Taken in Colonial Heights, Virginia.  July 8, 2017.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

jakeroot

How big are interstate reassurance shields supposed to be? This one on the 405 in Washington (near Renton) seemed huge in person:

Big John

jakeroot

Quote from: Big John on July 20, 2017, 11:13:23 PM
^^ ON the interstate itself, 36"x36" (1 or 2 digit), 45"x36" (3 digits)
https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/htm/2009/part2/part2e.htm#table2E01

Thanks. I'll have to go back with some measuring tape. It seemed bigger than that.

D-Dey65

Late update; The yellow speed limit signs on Sumter CR 48 are gone. I was getting ready to snap a picture of the one going west of I-75 which has a 45 mph speed limit, when I found both signs were replaced with standard white ones that are smaller. FDOT Region 5 must have been reading this board.

:hmmm:

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: jakeroot on July 20, 2017, 11:04:17 PM
How big are interstate reassurance shields supposed to be? This one on the 405 in Washington (near Renton) seemed huge in person:

I own a properly-sized 36x45" (I-35W) Interstate shield, and even it is huge. I estimate that that I-405 shield is probably about 48x60" (keeping proportions).

Roadgeekteen

Well, the bigger the better.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jakeroot

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 04, 2017, 09:08:26 PM
the bigger the better.

Also, thank you for the wise, thought-out comment. I appreciate your words as usual. :D

thefraze_1020

WSDOT is pretty unpredictable with the quality of Interstate shields. Sometimes they post great looking shields, and sometimes they are hideous. This one however, I think looks great. One of the best looking shields WSDOT has posted recently.
Alright, this is how it's gonna be!

jakeroot

Quote from: thefraze_1020 on August 04, 2017, 10:48:31 PM

http://i.imgur.com/IIR5zDX.jpg

WSDOT is pretty unpredictable with the quality of Interstate shields. Sometimes they post great looking shields, and sometimes they are hideous. This one however, I think looks great. One of the best looking shields WSDOT has posted recently.

The 405 used to be awash with bubble shields. They finally seem to be going the way of the dodo (I haven't seen one installed for a while).

I'd like to see more Series D shields, but I'll take properly-shaped shields over Series D for the time being.

rickmastfan67

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

rickmastfan67

KEVIN_224

These town welcome signs just went up in Berlin, CT (pronounced BER-lin here) in the past week. This one is on CT Route 71 South, just past the entrance of Willow Brook Park in neighboring New Britain. The bridge behind the sign goes over the so-called Willow Brook Connector (unsigned CT Route 571). There's also one on the southbound Berlin Turnpike (US 5/CT 15) a couple miles to the east.

Brian556

1995hoo

This looks to me like a resident probably posted it, which is why I'm putting this here and not in the "erroneous" thread.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

tckma

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 07, 2017, 03:32:34 PM
This looks to me like a resident probably posted it, which is why I'm putting this here and not in the "erroneous" thread.

It's possible the back of the "NO OUTLET" is a "STOP" sign, but given that those blue street name blades look very Fairfax County-esque (though it's been several years since I lived there, I seem to recall there being a Beulah St somewhere in that area), I doubt it was a state or county placed sign.  I could also be putting too much faith in the county governments there.

Mapmikey

Quote from: tckma on August 07, 2017, 05:02:19 PM

It's possible the back of the "NO OUTLET" is a "STOP" sign, but given that those blue street name blades look very Fairfax County-esque (though it's been several years since I lived there, I seem to recall there being a Beulah St somewhere in that area), I doubt it was a state or county placed sign.  I could also be putting too much faith in the county governments there.

The back side of this sign has a separate stop sign.  This NO OUTLET sign has been there back to at least 2007 per GMSV - https://goo.gl/maps/Nbv4yZyrQ7A2

7/8

Some of the signage in London, ON use ugly fonts (in my opinion)

7/8

One more interesting sign I found is this green-on-white sign for Huron CR 15 at CR 17 in Kinburn, ON.

1995hoo

Quote from: Mapmikey on August 08, 2017, 06:51:38 AM
Quote from: tckma on August 07, 2017, 05:02:19 PM

The back side of this sign has a separate stop sign.  This NO OUTLET sign has been there back to at least 2007 per GMSV - https://goo.gl/maps/Nbv4yZyrQ7A2

I've passed it hundreds of times but Sunday was the first chance I'd had to get a picture. Never been around the other side. The adjacent street, Gayfields Road, used to have its own unique sign, an orange work zone sign reading "No Construction Traffic At All"!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

KEVIN_224

I actually like this sign and idea:

Saw it in the south end of New Britain, CT today (August 9, 2017).

plain

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on August 09, 2017, 06:50:23 PM
I actually like this sign and idea:

Saw it in the south end of New Britain, CT today (August 9, 2017).

I wish VDOT posted similar signs when they milled numerous secondary roads in the rural areas. At least it would've gave residents a heads up. Matter of fact they didn't even repave many of them, just left them milled
Newark born, Richmond bred

KEVIN_224

Me and a friend, naturally, find humor in the situation! My friend's comments first, then mine:

The crisis is so bad that now we are sending our pavement to rehab. SMH. I hope it finds meaning and inner peace, especially given how much we trample on it... but mostly I hope it's out in 30 days. :)

As well as water being splashed in its face (rain), society spitting on it, teens leaving skid marks, etc. Lastly, how does the pavement get up if its ordered to attend AAA meetings?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.