AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Poll

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
- 10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
- 23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
- 127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
- 63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
- 63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 285

Author Topic: Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now  (Read 592188 times)

jakeroot

• 日本標準時

• Last Login: Today at 04:53:27 AM
    • Flickr
Re: Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now
« Reply #2325 on: May 19, 2022, 05:50:40 PM »

Just curious, is there any knowledge on how the range of drive times for the "depart at" feature with directions is calculated?  I'm wondering if the long one, or at least the "arrive at" time (often but not always matching the long one) is the one where you don't drive faster than the speed limit, because the one it quotes for the "leave now" feature definitely isn't.

I think it uses historical Waze data to calculate the approximate drive time depending on past traffic patterns for the specified time of day.

Mine seems to assume I go at least 15 mph over the limit at all times. I assume this because, after doing so, I arrive at exactly the ETA.
The ETA adjusts as you travel.

My apologies for not being specific, but I was referring to situations where the ETA does not change from start to finish. Which is surprisingly common from my experience. Or at the very least, it's within a minute or two.

Rothman

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:52:13 PM
« Reply #2326 on: May 19, 2022, 05:51:49 PM »

Just curious, is there any knowledge on how the range of drive times for the "depart at" feature with directions is calculated?  I'm wondering if the long one, or at least the "arrive at" time (often but not always matching the long one) is the one where you don't drive faster than the speed limit, because the one it quotes for the "leave now" feature definitely isn't.

I think it uses historical Waze data to calculate the approximate drive time depending on past traffic patterns for the specified time of day.

Mine seems to assume I go at least 15 mph over the limit at all times. I assume this because, after doing so, I arrive at exactly the ETA.

My apologies for not being specific, but I was referring to situations where the ETA does not change from start to finish. Which is surprisingly common from my experience. Or at the very least, it's within a minute or two.
I haven't ever had it not change, even on short trips.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jakeroot

• 日本標準時

• Flickr
« Reply #2327 on: May 19, 2022, 05:56:03 PM »

I haven't ever had it not change, even on short trips.

It's about 50/50 for me, being within a minute of the original ETA at least.

But, for the sake of my explanation, let's assume that ETA is irrelevant. Waze still seems to assume that it will take me, say, eight minutes to go ten miles, even if the speed limit is 60.

vdeane

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:10:05 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #2328 on: May 22, 2022, 09:29:23 PM »

Is the COVID-19 layer no longer displaying for anyone else?  It's still on the list, and they still have the thing on the bottom with some numbers, but the map overlay seems to be gone.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

BlueOutback7

• I-5 to Finland or bust!

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:11:24 PM
« Reply #2329 on: May 22, 2022, 09:59:56 PM »

Is the COVID-19 layer no longer displaying for anyone else?  It's still on the list, and they still have the thing on the bottom with some numbers, but the map overlay seems to be gone.

It's not working for me either. Must be some kind of bug.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

doorknob60

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 05:57:38 PM
« Reply #2330 on: May 25, 2022, 11:29:05 AM »

They broke Street View again. A lot of areas it will only let you move one frame at a time, making it painfully slow to get around. Doesn't always happen, but it's happening a lot. I seem to recall this being a problem months ago, then it got fixed. Hope they fix it again.

CNGL-Leudimin

• When in doubt, US 41

• Last Login: Today at 04:42:36 AM
« Reply #2331 on: May 25, 2022, 12:22:24 PM »

Yep. I was finishing the Giro d'Italia route, and man, it was a real PITA the last days (on top of the reduced speed). They have updated Street View a few days ago in the countries they don't continuously update, and like always they broke it. Another thing is that my computer would somehow crash after a while, but I found that is more of a Firefox issue because I switched to Chrome and all went fine.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Molandfreak

• Last Login: Today at 03:50:35 AM
    • Instagram
« Reply #2332 on: June 02, 2022, 10:53:08 PM »

AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Caps81943

• Last Login: March 10, 2024, 01:32:46 AM
« Reply #2333 on: June 22, 2022, 08:41:17 PM »

The slow traveling and bad snapping have been UNBEARABLE today.

SkyPesos

• I-80E to NYC, not Clarion, Dubois, Bloomsburg, etc

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:49:30 PM
« Reply #2334 on: June 30, 2022, 11:13:49 PM »

Anyone else have issues with GSV moving you in random directions on each click now? Very difficult to even look at the area around a road when it can either move you to the left or right on another road or move you backwards when you want to go forward.

Scott5114

• Nit picker of unprecedented pedantry

• Last Login: Today at 02:20:41 AM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
« Reply #2335 on: June 30, 2022, 11:21:30 PM »

Anyone else have issues with GSV moving you in random directions on each click now? Very difficult to even look at the area around a road when it can either move you to the left or right on another road or move you backwards when you want to go forward.

Yup. Between that and the slow as hell scrolling, it's kind of getting to the point where it's faster to move along by repeatedly dropping the pin and exiting out until you get the view you want. A true failure of software design.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

• My 2 Achilles' heels: sarcasm & snark

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:31:10 PM
« Reply #2336 on: July 01, 2022, 09:00:19 AM »

Yup. Between that and the slow as hell scrolling, it's kind of getting to the point where it's faster to move along by repeatedly dropping the pin and exiting out until you get the view you want. A true failure of software design.

I have good luck zooming in on the little corner-map and just clicking a different spot on the blue line.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. Dick
If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vdeane

• New York State Roads
« Reply #2337 on: July 08, 2022, 08:17:11 PM »

Remember that glitch that removed the points from measuring distance?  It's back, but it seems like this time they're still there and can be interacted with, they're just not visible the way they were before.  Mouse over the line and the tooltip will change when you're on a point, so they can still be moved/removed despite being invisible.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

pderocco

• Two wrongs don't make a right--but three lefts do.

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 01:20:42 AM
« Reply #2338 on: July 09, 2022, 01:43:49 AM »

I have no idea if this has been mentioned in this 94-page topic, as there is no board function that searches an individual topic.

In the past year, I've noticed more and more "new" street view imagery that's almost unusable. Wikipedia has a couple of items that may be relevant:

• 2017: On September 5, Google announced that they are improving the quality of the street view panoramic photo, revamping its mapping vehicles with all-new high-resolution camera systems and artificial intelligence to capture even better imagery. The new Google cars have been seen in various American cities since March 2017, as well as in Japan since August. The first images taken with the new generation of cameras were available online on September 13.
  • October 2017: The makers of the Insta360 Pro announce the certification of the first "Street View auto ready" camera for US$3500; it uses six lenses for a 360º view and comes with Stitcher software. In addition to purchase, the camera rig is also available to qualified entities as part of the Google loaner program, with 50 cameras available to loan, making possible Google Street View imagery coverage of more places that Google might not visit, and to entities for whom a purchase is impractical or impossible.

There's a lot of imagery in which the roof of the car carrying the camera is visible, and which is super over-compressed and washed out. I'm wondering if this is the 2017 "improved" technology. In Google Earth, this imagery doesn't even respond to navigation clicks. In Google Maps, it looks like this:

https://goo.gl/maps/xP5pN4MXppqJBfPK8

This isn't always new imagery where formerly there was none. Sometimes, it duplicates older imagery which is beautiful, and once you land on the bad imagery, you can't get back to the good imagery without exiting and re-entering.

Some imagery shot from more portable cameras, perhaps from the Insta360 gear, is completely cockeyed, rotating around a non-vertical axis:

https://goo.gl/maps/GVe9D5STFM4HC6XH9

It's almost as if there's a competition to see how bad they can make this.

CtrlAltDel

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:41:10 PM
« Reply #2339 on: July 09, 2022, 02:09:54 AM »

I have good luck zooming in on the little corner-map and just clicking a different spot on the blue line.

I haven't. What tends to happen is that the little person turns around and then I have to rotate it. Sometimes I get lucky, but it's not as common as you'd hope.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

• Last Login: Today at 05:33:22 AM
    • Flickr account
« Reply #2340 on: July 09, 2022, 06:51:21 AM »

as there is no board function that searches an individual topic

Using the search feature while inside a thread will search that thread only.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

vdeane

• New York State Roads
« Reply #2341 on: July 09, 2022, 05:25:01 PM »

I have no idea if this has been mentioned in this 94-page topic, as there is no board function that searches an individual topic.

In the past year, I've noticed more and more "new" street view imagery that's almost unusable. Wikipedia has a couple of items that may be relevant:

• 2017: On September 5, Google announced that they are improving the quality of the street view panoramic photo, revamping its mapping vehicles with all-new high-resolution camera systems and artificial intelligence to capture even better imagery. The new Google cars have been seen in various American cities since March 2017, as well as in Japan since August. The first images taken with the new generation of cameras were available online on September 13.
  • October 2017: The makers of the Insta360 Pro announce the certification of the first "Street View auto ready" camera for US$3500; it uses six lenses for a 360º view and comes with Stitcher software. In addition to purchase, the camera rig is also available to qualified entities as part of the Google loaner program, with 50 cameras available to loan, making possible Google Street View imagery coverage of more places that Google might not visit, and to entities for whom a purchase is impractical or impossible.

There's a lot of imagery in which the roof of the car carrying the camera is visible, and which is super over-compressed and washed out. I'm wondering if this is the 2017 "improved" technology. In Google Earth, this imagery doesn't even respond to navigation clicks. In Google Maps, it looks like this:

https://goo.gl/maps/xP5pN4MXppqJBfPK8

This isn't always new imagery where formerly there was none. Sometimes, it duplicates older imagery which is beautiful, and once you land on the bad imagery, you can't get back to the good imagery without exiting and re-entering.

Some imagery shot from more portable cameras, perhaps from the Insta360 gear, is completely cockeyed, rotating around a non-vertical axis:

https://goo.gl/maps/GVe9D5STFM4HC6XH9

It's almost as if there's a competition to see how bad they can make this.

That's not Google imagery.  That's some third party called "PTOWN HACKS Provincetown Guide".  Third party imagery can be a crapshoot but is worse than Google's most of the time, which is why I don't understand why Google seems to favor it.  It seems like if there is any third party imagery in an area, Google will prefer it over its own, even if its own is newer, and because the sequencing of images isn't exactly the same, it can be offset from Google's, which makes it hard to switch out of.  Third party imagery can be great if Google hasn't gone somewhere or hasn't been somewhere recently, but it sucks the rest of the time.

Mr_Northside

• "Oh god... They'll know! They'll know!"

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 05:59:12 PM
    • Currently playing washboard in Ye Olde Royal Shithouse Players
« Reply #2342 on: July 15, 2022, 01:31:44 PM »

I still notice this on occasion  (especially in densely crowded areas).   The navigation can sink to levels as clunky as the Bing street-view equivalent at times.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Rothman

« Reply #2343 on: August 02, 2022, 07:02:03 AM »

Route numbers/shields are missing on my Android version of Google Maps now.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

pderocco

• Two wrongs don't make a right--but three lefts do.

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 01:20:42 AM
« Reply #2344 on: August 04, 2022, 02:11:23 AM »

Could be a cache problem. Perhaps rebooting your phone might help. Or maybe they come from a different server, and it was down for a while.

Rothman

« Reply #2345 on: August 04, 2022, 06:48:20 AM »

Could be a cache problem. Perhaps rebooting your phone might help. Or maybe they come from a different server, and it was down for a while.

They're back now.  I think it may have had something to do with the public transportation layer.  Found that Google Maps had turned it on for some reason; flipping it off brought the shields back, I think.  Either that or the last problem with the server you mentioned.

vdeane

• New York State Roads
« Reply #2346 on: August 04, 2022, 12:44:02 PM »

The transit layer does indeed cause the shields to disappear.

Mr. Matté

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:39:24 AM
« Reply #2347 on: August 25, 2022, 11:40:16 PM »

"No Street View imagery available here."

I've been getting this annoying popup as of the past day or two even if just trying to advance one sphere forward and I know GSV imagery exists.

LM117

• Last Login: March 08, 2024, 03:36:52 PM
« Reply #2348 on: August 27, 2022, 09:10:35 AM »

I noticed that it's now possible to see older streetview images on the android app. Before that, you had to do it with a browser. Took long enough.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

jakeroot

• 日本標準時

• Flickr
« Reply #2349 on: August 27, 2022, 01:27:05 PM »

I noticed that it's now possible to see older streetview images on the android app. Before that, you had to do it with a browser. Took long enough.

I've also noticed this. I think it rolled out, at least to iOS devices, in late July. It's been awesome being able to research something on-the-spot rather than having to wait until getting home.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.