News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Damaged Signs

Started by Ian, July 23, 2009, 08:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete from Boston

Quote from: roadman65 on April 18, 2015, 07:11:57 PM
I was often wondering is what you see in the movies reality when a car runs over a hydrant?  I heard one man say no, that his car got stopped in transit.  Then I seen in my old neighborhood the mess left behind when a car struck a fire plug as if the movies were correct.  I did not see the incident nor witnessed the geyser that Hollywood loves to create in car chases gone sour.

Depending on the gross vehicle weight, car and driver will rise up to thirty feet on the column of water, remaining suspended there until someone shuts off the hydrant. 

Most drivers will at this point remove their hat and lash it against the steering wheel with a grunt of frustration. 

It is important to turn the hydrant off gradually, or the car will slam to the ground with a cloud of smoke billowing up.  Sad trombone and circling, chirping birds are likely to follow.

jbnv

I also need to take pictures of BGSs damaged by maintenance crews. I know of at least two examples.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

KG909

There's a CA 138 exit bus on the I-15 with the complete bottom portion gone. I'll take a pic when I can. Though it might be replaced before I get a chance because of construction.
~Fuccboi

freebrickproductions

Along I-65 near exit 334:
Damaged Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Both of these are along I-459:
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

KG909

CA-60 / I-215 concurrency Riverside, Ca
~Fuccboi

freebrickproductions

A few damaged signs I saw along I-65 recently in Alabama:
Damaged Logo Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
Damaged Logo Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
Fallen Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

DaBigE

What 90+ mph straight-line winds can do to a sign:

Before:

After:
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Bruce

From Saudi Arabia, a dump truck brings down a gantry:

thenetwork

Looks like that pickup was inches from being hit from shrapnel, or worse.   Obviously, the driver of the pickup was too dumb to figure out what was going to happen.

SignGeek101

That surprisingly isn't the first time that's happened.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=59.msg316490#msg316490

Only that was a truss, not a gantry.

TravelingBethelite

A couple from Boston:

I'm not quite sure if the second one qualifies as damaged. :-/ What's the second arrow on that sign, though?
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

thenetwork

jbnv

Quote from: thenetwork on August 17, 2015, 05:58:12 PM
Quote from: TravelingBethelite on August 17, 2015, 11:30:18 AM
What's the second arrow on that sign, though?

In short, this:  http://udown.com/

In short, vandalism. (I almost thought I saw button copy in that logo, though.)
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

thenetwork

Quote from: jbnv on August 17, 2015, 06:00:59 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on August 17, 2015, 05:58:12 PM
Quote from: TravelingBethelite on August 17, 2015, 11:30:18 AM
What's the second arrow on that sign, though?

In short, this:  http://udown.com/

In short, vandalism. (I almost thought I saw button copy in that logo, though.)

Obviously there are lots of duuuudes who think it's cool to place these on freeway signs.   So many, in fact, that the website above has a disclaimer on its site saying that they don't condone defacing any property with these stickers.  Ummmm.....Yeah!

Bruce

The Warm Springs wildfire in Oregon took down this mis-ordered US 26 shield:

Charred U.S. 26 sign by Oregon Department of Transportation, on Flickr

PurdueBill

Quote from: Bruce on August 19, 2015, 03:02:35 PM

Gosh, just because sometimes we say "kill it with fire" to mis-ordered or ugly signs doesn't mean we really want it killed with fire!  Yikes.

SignGeek101

Quote from: PurdueBill on August 20, 2015, 02:01:28 PM

Gosh, just because sometimes we say "kill it with fire" to mis-ordered or ugly signs doesn't mean we really want it killed with fire!  Yikes.

Only the signs weren't killed with fire. The wood pole used to hold them up was.

On another note, am I the only one who actually prefers the directional tab below the shield? Or is it because I live in Canada, and this is the norm?

PurdueBill

The direction below the shield does go more with how many people would refer to the direction/number combo anyway..."take 77 north to 490 west to 90 west" versus "take north 77 to west 490 to west 90" which doesn't roll off my tongue nearly as naturally.

KG909

I'd steal it
~Fuccboi

Bruce

From Seattle, at the intersection of Denny Way and Bellevue Avenue in the Capitol Hill neighborhood:

The intersection has another sawed-off sign on the other side. Probably something to do with the overhead lines (power, telephone, trolleybus).

vtk

Quote from: Bruce on August 26, 2015, 07:49:04 PM
From Seattle, at the intersection of Denny Way and Bellevue Avenue in the Capitol Hill neighborhood:

The intersection has another sawed-off sign on the other side. Probably something to do with the overhead lines (power, telephone, trolleybus).

When I first saw that picture my brain falsely identified a bicycle...
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

SignGeek101

Something took a big bite out of these signs. They're brand new too.

https://goo.gl/maps/Qma7W4eH71D2

1995hoo

That is a brand-new sign, just put up within the past few weeks. Sure didn't last long at all. Picture taken an hour ago as I type this. (The road to the right is the ramp between the Capital Beltway and Van Dorn Street just south of Alexandria, Virginia. I was waiting at the red light going southbound on Van Dorn.)

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

1995hoo

Quote from: PurdueBill on August 20, 2015, 02:37:27 PM
The direction below the shield does go more with how many people would refer to the direction/number combo anyway..."take 77 north to 490 west to 90 west" versus "take north 77 to west 490 to west 90" which doesn't roll off my tongue nearly as naturally.

We had a thread a few years ago addressing why the direction is placed first:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=4980.msg108692#msg108692
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

national highway 1

"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.