News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Damaged Signs

Started by Ian, July 23, 2009, 08:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

Quote from: STLmapboy on August 24, 2020, 04:39:12 PM
Akwardly contorted sign on I-90 in rural SD. Oddly, the route marker (SD-63) is missing too.

Man, what a fugly font on that sign!  No wonder why someone tried to kill it!

US71

In this case, the sign isn't damaged, but the post is, and someone tried to hang one sign off another.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

STLmapboy

Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

US71

I'm sure if one went to Louisiana this week, there would be quite a few.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

cjk374

Quote from: US71 on August 28, 2020, 04:39:45 PM
I'm sure if one went to Louisiana this week, there would be quite a few.

Yep. One of the brand new BGSs for the new exit 83 on I-20 folded backward on its posts.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

JoePCool14

Quote from: STLmapboy on August 24, 2020, 04:39:12 PM
Akwardly contorted sign on I-90 in rural SD. Oddly, the route marker (SD-63) is missing too.

Series C(M)?

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Mergingtraffic

A relic in Hackensack, NJ
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

STLmapboy

Here, a box of "left turn only" signs in NY (like this) has been stripped.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

thenetwork

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on September 02, 2020, 05:40:56 PM
A relic in Hackensack, NJ

I know S. Hackensack is how it's spelled out, but it almost looks like Shackensack -- aka a no-tell motel just minutes off the Jersey Turnpike.

Truvelo

^^That relic needs saving, if not only for the button copy.
Speed limits limit life

LilianaUwU

This sign off exit 2 of A-973 has been suffering from sign peel ever since I first saw it.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

STLmapboy

Missouri>>>>>Illinois

rte66man

Eastbound Kilpatrick Turnpike approaching I-35 in north Oklahoma City. The letters are missing likely due to hail damage
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: STLmapboy on September 07, 2020, 12:33:21 PM
Hanging by a thread in Lawrence, MA.

There's also a memorial next to the sign, making me wonder if whoever clipped the sign is the subject of the memorial.

STLmapboy

Quote from: rte66man on September 07, 2020, 04:26:01 PM

Eastbound Kilpatrick Turnpike approaching I-35 in north Oklahoma City.
That's pretty bad. Missouri has the same problem with their late 90s/early 00s reflector signs (peeling letters), but I've never seen it to that extent.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

STLmapboy

At this point, it's easier to county what remains on this sign than what doesn't.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

thenetwork

Quote from: STLmapboy on October 17, 2020, 02:49:11 PM
At this point, it's easier to county what remains on this sign than what doesn't.

Never have I seen a sign gantry with a yellow clearance sign.

Android

For some time now I have wanted to put in this image. But I will give some background.   I have no idea why this sign still even exists. 

I live in Douglas, Wyoming.   The historical route of main routes US 20 and US 87 ran through the town back in the day. Then Interstate 25 supplanted them, and those roads became "business routes".  To retain such designation, the City would have to do some major work on the road.  They started to do so, replacing the bridge over the North Platte River. But they balked at widening the road through town.   Lots of trees would have be cut down to do so.   And they didn't do it.  They actually banned through truck traffic and put up signs directing such away from the center of town.   

I'm pretty sure they lost Federal route designation/funding.  Thus, Business Route I-25, US20, US87 and US26 no longer has any meaning.  Yet the signs are still there, sort of.  You can see the WYDOT date codes, 2008 in this image from when this sign was still rather new:   

Sun Damage Time:  Look what the Wyoming Sunshine did to the black numerals 12 years on:

-Andy T. Not much of a fan of Clearview

JoePCool14

How kind of the sun to automatically convert those shields into fresh blanks to be reused!

hotdogPi

I don't think it's the sun. Why is the background still fully black?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Scott5114

Could be that the sign shop mass-produces blanks using one type of ink (or a vinyl overlay), and then the numbers were overprinted with another type of ink.

In any case, I don't think they could be reused, since the sheeting is aged, and would probably do weird halation effects at night.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Android

I'm pretty sure that is sun-fading damage.  I saw it get progressively get worse over the last 10 years.

The latest picture above, I took that in July, and at that time, I took a couple of other pics from different angles.

Now, on anther shot I took maybe because of the different sun angle, while in person it looks blank, on camera zoomed in, I can sort of see smudges where the numbers should be.     

That led me to go hog wild on the Gamma and Contrast settings and:

UPDATE EDIT, FEB 06 2021.   I drove by this at night a couple of times and realized that the three faded signs must have had some kind of glass bead (reflective) paint for the numerals, because they showed up in the headlights.   But a couple of days ago I noticed that these had been replaced, finally.   Kind of odd regarding the new date codes though, one from 2015 and two signs from 2020 and they left the old I-25 sign in place.   Oh, and I preferred the US shields on the old signs. 

-Andy T. Not much of a fan of Clearview

STLmapboy

Quote from: thenetwork on October 17, 2020, 05:54:56 PM

The case of the missing shields part two.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

JoePCool14

Quote from: STLmapboy on October 23, 2020, 05:52:34 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on October 17, 2020, 05:54:56 PM

The case of the missing shields part two.

The shield on the right has been missing for almost a decade.

MCRoads

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 05, 2020, 02:36:44 PM
Quote from: STLmapboy on July 05, 2020, 01:40:37 PM
After the March 2020 tornado outbreak in Nashville, this happened.

That's a pretty common mode of failure for signs in a weak tornado; I've seen it here a lot. That's actually due to a hinge that's there as part of the breakaway safety feature. Easily fixed.

Strong tornadoes do weird stuff to signs. The May 19, 2013 tornado in Moore, OK blew one sign off a gantry but left the other panel (and the gantry itself) untouched.
I saw that when it happened. I had a picture of it, but that phone crapped out not long after... oh well.

There is a video of an exit gore somewhere on YT that shows a truck driver plowing through an EXIT fore sign trying to get back on the highway (I want to say it was in FL), but I cannot find it.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.