News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobbieL2415

Quote from: seicer on August 08, 2022, 10:01:58 AM
On the west side of Newburgh, there was once an interchange planned with I-84: https://historicaerials.com/location/41.519493815157304/-74.03596940297939/1965/15

What was this exit to be for?
A US 9W freeway?

The Ghostbuster

Whatever the proposed interchange was for, I wonder when they eliminated all evidence that an interchange was planned there? I have a strong suspicion that this interchange would have been the "missing" Exit 9, as there was no Exit 9 on Interstate 84 before exits were renumbered to mileage-based in 2019.

Great Lakes Roads

https://www.liherald.com/stories/nassau-county-bridge-authority-disbands-citizens-committee,142738

The Nassau County Bridge Authority is currently in talks with EZ-Pass to get the system on the bridge. They are the last remaining toll bridge in the NYC area (and frankly, the whole state of New York) that is still accepting cash.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on August 08, 2022, 07:12:39 PM
https://www.liherald.com/stories/nassau-county-bridge-authority-disbands-citizens-committee,142738

The Nassau County Bridge Authority is currently in talks with EZ-Pass to get the system on the bridge. They are the last remaining toll bridge in the NYC area (and frankly, the whole state of New York) that is still accepting cash.
There is one bridge on the Jersey Shore that does not accept EZ Pass. The Margate Toll Bridge.

vdeane

The international bridges also still accept cash.  With the Thousand Islands Bridge, the border is between two large islands while toll collection is on the mainland in each direction, so crossing the border is not necessary to pay the toll.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on August 08, 2022, 07:54:38 PM
The international bridges also still accept cash.  With the Thousand Islands Bridge, the border is between two large islands while toll collection is on the mainland in each direction, so crossing the border is not necessary to pay the toll.

Actually, wasn't it only fairly recently that the Thousand Islands Bridge started accepting EZPass? I seem to recall it being cash or prepaid ticket only up until a few years ago.

froggie

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on August 08, 2022, 10:22:41 AM
On the west side of Newburgh, there was once an interchange planned with I-84: https://historicaerials.com/location/41.519493815157304/-74.03596940297939/1965/15

A US 9W freeway?

A 1972 study I found references a US 9W bypass route for Newburgh, but it wasn't intended to be a freeway.  They called it the "Route 9W Alternative Arterial Bypass."

Alps

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 08, 2022, 12:25:06 PM
Whatever the proposed interchange was for, I wonder when they eliminated all evidence that an interchange was planned there? I have a strong suspicion that this interchange would have been the "missing" Exit 9, as there was no Exit 9 on Interstate 84 before exits were renumbered to mileage-based in 2019.
Look at the historic aerial link and choose years. Still evident in 2004. Starting to disappear by 2011. I think it was just left alone for trees to make their way into the cleared road area. The faintest traces are left in 2019.

cu2010

Quote from: webny99 on August 08, 2022, 08:28:42 PM
Quote from: vdeane on August 08, 2022, 07:54:38 PM

Actually, wasn't it only fairly recently that the Thousand Islands Bridge started accepting EZPass? I seem to recall it being cash or prepaid ticket only up until a few years ago.

Correct, they started taking it in 2019. They still accept cash though and probably won't go cashless anytime soon. The commuter card system has since been replaced with an EZPass-like system.

The other two international bridges serve primarily local traffic and as such have little reason to implement EZPass. In particular, roughly 2/3rds of the users of the Seaway International Bridge are exempted from tolls to begin with.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

D-Dey65

Quote from: storm2k on August 07, 2022, 06:18:17 PM
The truck traffic is probably easily blunted with rules about no trucks. This is pure NIMBYism and little more.
Yes, but one lane isn't so great for cars either. So, as I've said in the past, either close it off, or make it for bicycles and pedestrians only. And maybe include skateboarders while you're at it.

cockroachking

Quote from: froggie on August 08, 2022, 09:07:10 PM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on August 08, 2022, 10:22:41 AM

A US 9W freeway?

A 1972 study I found references a US 9W bypass route for Newburgh, but it wasn't intended to be a freeway.  They called it the "Route 9W Alternative Arterial Bypass."
Please share, if possible. I cannot seem to find anything regarding it.

Dan Blather

Dumb question, but one i always want to ask after a vacation or trip outside of New York Stte: is there any reason why there's no internally illuminated overhead street name signs anywhere in the state?  Does the state ban internally illuminated road signs for some irrational reason, much like they ban pavement reflectors?

Rothman

Quote from: Dan Blather on August 10, 2022, 08:12:33 PM
Dumb question, but one i always want to ask after a vacation or trip outside of New York Stte: is there any reason why there's no internally illuminated overhead street name signs anywhere in the state?  Does the state ban internally illuminated road signs for some irrational reason, much like they ban pavement reflectors?
The big one coming down I-87 to Exit 1 in Albany is internally illuminated...but older than dirt.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

seicer

Highly reflective signs should not need to be illuminated. It is expensive to light signs, even with newer LED fixtures, because of the need to run wire to the site or the need to install solar panels and batteries to power the lights. West Virginia is one of the few states that still install new LED fixtures on overhead signs even though they use highly reflective signs; most other states have opted out.

SignBridge

I think the original poster was asking about street name signs typically hung from traffic light mast-arms and lighted internally by a fluorescent tube. Used to be common in California; don't know if they still are. I don't think I've ever seen them in the Northeast.

seicer

Oh - I would still think cost is the main factor. I've been a fan of them since they began installing them at major intersections in Lexington KY (https://goo.gl/maps/DmuXLWsjPeKFjfD46) but the original ones were fluorescent (upgraded to LED) and quite pricey. Does it offer much benefit over well-placed overhead and ground-mounted signs like in Ithaca NY (https://goo.gl/maps/V3F8wyUqeSsRCqw96)?

MASTERNC

Quote from: SignBridge on August 10, 2022, 10:29:05 PM
I think the original poster was asking about street name signs typically hung from traffic light mast-arms and lighted internally by a fluorescent tube. Used to be common in California; don't know if they still are. I don't think I've ever seen them in the Northeast.

Upper Merion (King of Prussia) in PA used to have them but they have slowly been replaced by unlit blades.

ran4sh

It's not like they're common in most other states. Reflective street signs perform better than illuminated street signs when the illumination fails (which I have frequently encountered in the areas that use them).
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Mr. Matté

Does the state ban internally illuminated road signs for some irrational reason, much like they ban pavement reflectors?

Is there an actual ban on those? Never would have noticed that before but doing a quick search of random roads (state and local), no RPMs to be found.

Rothman

Quote from: Mr. Matté on August 11, 2022, 11:11:35 AM
Does the state ban internally illuminated road signs for some irrational reason, much like they ban pavement reflectors?

Is there an actual ban on those? Never would have noticed that before but doing a quick search of random roads (state and local), no RPMs to be found.
No, there isn't a ban.  They've just fallen out ot favor.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

odditude

apologies for going back off-topic for a moment, but...

Quote from: seicer on August 10, 2022, 10:24:34 PM
Highly reflective signs should not need to be illuminated. It is expensive to light signs, even with newer LED fixtures, because of the need to run wire to the site or the need to install solar panels and batteries to power the lights. West Virginia is one of the few states that still install new LED fixtures on overhead signs even though they use highly reflective signs; most other states have opted out.

condensation late at night (or early in the morning, depending on your perspective) can lead to virtually indecipherable signs - retroreflective sheeting doesn't work very well beneath an irregular coating of water when it's brand new, let alone when it starts to age.

astralentity

I tend to start seeing embedded reflectors in the pavement more once I start getting into Virginia.

astralentity

Oh....  I see 147 in Glenville is starting to get some TLC.  Is it just from the village line to Ridge Road or are there plans to finally repave it all the way to the school?

dgolub

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on August 08, 2022, 07:12:39 PM

Wow!

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/tX4CBr8MR769ResEA

What is up lately with the usage of PASSENGER CARS ONLY?

I noticed that the NO COMMERCIAL TRAFFIC is hardly used like it always was back in the seventies and eighties.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.