News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

States that uses "Freeway/Highway Entrance" signs

Started by NJ, November 25, 2015, 02:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJ

Which states uses "FREEWAY / HIGHWAY ENTRANCE" signs besides California?

I know European countries uses the symbolic sign for entrance and end (blue or green) >

Kacie Jane

Washington uses them pretty universally. (Just the freeway entrance sign though, usually without the shield and down arrow.) Oregon uses them very sporadically. I believe in Nevada, they're common, but not universal.

OCGuy81

I've seen them pretty widely used in Nevada, a lot of times with the shield and down arrows.

jakeroot

Quote from: OCGuy81 on November 25, 2015, 04:45:47 PM
I've seen them pretty widely used in Nevada, a lot of times with the shield and down arrows.

I believe Nevada is the closest to resembling California's method of signing freeway entrances.

Out of curiosity, does Nevada or California use "Highway Entrance"? I can't recall seeing one in either of them (naturally, I'm excluding Oregon simply because they barely use "Freeway Entrance").

I know Washington uses them on Super-two's, which the state generally considers to be a highway vs a freeway, though there are cases where a super-two is signed at the entrance as a freeway instead of highway

Pink Jazz

I know NMDOT District 3 (Albuquerque) uses them.  Previously they were located at only a few places, however, more recently they have been installed at more onramps.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

SD Mapman

I'm pretty sure SD, ND, WY, and MT don't (unless someone has evidence that I don't know about).

Then again, out here you know you're getting on the Interstate without a sign...
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Brandon

Quote from: NJ on November 25, 2015, 02:52:50 PM
Which states uses "FREEWAY / HIGHWAY ENTRANCE" signs besides California?

I know European countries uses the symbolic sign for entrance and end (blue or green) >

What's far more common is a listing of prohibited vehicle types on a black-on-white sign at the entrance ramp.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

roadfro

Quote from: jakeroot on November 25, 2015, 04:52:20 PM
Quote from: OCGuy81 on November 25, 2015, 04:45:47 PM

I believe Nevada is the closest to resembling California's method of signing freeway entrances.

Nevada widely uses the freeway entrance assembly. The only places they are not used is along ramps to Summerlin Parkway (a freeway in the City of Las Vegas), and in some areas of the CC 215. In cases where a frontage road is taken to access the freeway, a "to" plaque often appears at the point of turning, with the freeway entrance assembly used at the actual ramp–the exception to this is also some areas of the 215.

Where used, the signing practice is identical to California, except that California uses a larger "Freeway Entrance" sign of their own spec whereas Nevada uses the MUTCD version.

Out of curiosity, does Nevada or California use "Highway Entrance"? I can't recall seeing one in either of them

Nevada doesn't use "Highway Entrance". Mainly because there aren't really any instances of ramp entrances that do not lead to a full freeway.
[/quote]
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

thenetwork

It's been a while, but I thought I have seen them in West Virginia -- or it may have been just the diagonal down arrows on either side of the beginning of the on-ramps. 

Colorado has one that I know of in Western Colorado:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1114478,-108.5403489,3a,75y,128.28h,87.3t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sS-hSticbQGz1ZwVQRYK1Dw!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DS-hSticbQGz1ZwVQRYK1Dw%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D124.63366%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656

The bad news is that these signs are on "death watch" as they are currently converting this interchange into roundabouts.  The signs will be gone by spring. :-(

CtrlAltDel

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

hbelkins

Yes, West Virginia uses them, but not universally.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

peterj920

Wisconsin uses them on I-94 between Milwaukee and the Wisconsin/Illinois state line and at various interchanges in the Milwaukee area.  South of Milwaukee, the interchanges were "Texas Style" with entrance and exit ramps braided with the frontage roads.  The frontage roads have been moved and the signs were put up to tell motorists that the road is an on ramp only and no longer has a frontage road.

Brandon

Bitmapped

Quote from: hbelkins on November 25, 2015, 10:11:53 PM
Yes, West Virginia uses them, but not universally.
They're being used consistently in WVDOH's signage replacement contracts.

corco

Quote from: SD Mapman on November 25, 2015, 06:38:43 PM
I'm pretty sure SD, ND, WY, and MT don't (unless someone has evidence that I don't know about).

Then again, out here you know you're getting on the Interstate without a sign...

Montana uses them pretty frequently, actually.

DandyDan

Quote from: Brandon on November 25, 2015, 06:44:10 PM
What's far more common is a listing of prohibited vehicle types on a black-on-white sign at the entrance ramp.
It's been a while since I've been there, but I believe Minnesota has both a "Freeway Entrance" sign and the listing of prohibited vehicle types on a black and white sign, all on one setup, whenever you enter the interstate.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

roadman65

I do not know if this one counts, but The Garden State Parkway has "PARKWAY ENTRANCE" above the typical entry sign.  Its not stand alone, but it mentions that its an entrance to the Parkway.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NJ

Quote from: roadman65 on November 29, 2015, 06:07:41 PM
I do not know if this one counts, but The Garden State Parkway has "PARKWAY ENTRANCE" above the typical entry sign.  Its not stand alone, but it mentions that its an entrance to the Parkway.

Correct... Good recall

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.