AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: License Plate News  (Read 647554 times)

Alex

• Webmaster

• Last Login: February 20, 2024, 02:36:56 PM
    • AARoads
License Plate News
« on: February 04, 2010, 10:38:53 AM »

Feel free to post any articles pertaining to License Plates here.

See you later G8TR?
Price hike hurts sales of specialty plates, including UF's

Starting Sept 1., the fees for purchasing a plate for the first time rose about $125. Costs for renewals increased by as much as $25 depending on the vehicle's weight.

Plate proponents suggest the increase caused drivers to decide the extra charges for specialty plates, ranging from $15 to $25 annually, were too much to bear.

The lack of plate sales may effect the availability of some specialty tags over he coming years...

Alex

• Webmaster

• AARoads
Re: License Plate News
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 10:46:36 AM »

Front License Plates On Chopping Block (IL)

If you watch traffic closely, every now and again you'll notice a vehicle without a front license plate. However, those bare front bumpers may become more common.

"We can save some money by going to one license plate if we leave everything the same," says Representative Jerry Mitchell from Sterling, Il.

Mitchell says leaders need to cut unnecessary costs during the state's budget crisis. And he says eliminating front license plates could save up to a million dollars a year.

Ky. House OKs national motto license plate

Lawmakers in Kentucky's House of Representatives approved a bill that would allow the nation's motto, "In God we Trust," be on standard license plates.

If the bill is approved by the state Senate and signed by the governor, vehicle owners in the Bluegrass State could choose from "In God we Trust" or "Unbridled Spirit" on standard-issue license plates, The (Louisville) Courier-Journal reported Tuesday.

No extra fee would be imposed for requesting the nation's motto, the Courier-Journal said.

Bill would put 'Home of Our National Anthem' on plates

Maryland license plates would lay claim to the state as "Home of Our National Anthem," if one state lawmaker has his way. State Sen. Larry Haines, a Republican who represents Carroll and Baltimore counties, introduced a bill that would put the slogan on all plates starting Oct. 1. Maryland last displayed a slogan on its standard-issue license plate in the mid-1980s, celebrating the 350th anniversary of the state's founding as a colony.

South Carolina unveils new license plate

The state of South Carolina is unveiling a new license plate.

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle is the theme for these new specialty plates. The State's recycling industry group introduced the plates to promote the "Go Green" message.

papaT10932

• Last Login: July 17, 2015, 12:25:12 PM
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 11:56:41 AM »

Does Maryland's new slogan mean one less license plate with a website on it??? Gosh, I hope so!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 11:58:36 AM by papaT10932 »

Brandon

• Stop making sense

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 07:52:25 PM
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 12:01:10 PM »

If you watch traffic closely, every now and again you'll notice a vehicle without a front license plate. However, those bare front bumpers may become more common.

"We can save some money by going to one license plate if we leave everything the same," says Representative Jerry Mitchell from Sterling, Il.

Mitchell says leaders need to cut unnecessary costs during the state's budget crisis. And he says eliminating front license plates could save up to a million dollars a year.

I hope this goes through in spite of the balking by the Secretary of State's office.  If Indiana and Michigan can handle one plate, so too can Illinois.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 08:11:26 PM »

Wonder why NJ still uses two plates given our status as one of the bottom 3 in terms of highway debt.

papaT10932

• Last Login: July 17, 2015, 12:25:12 PM
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 08:22:40 PM »

Wonder why NJ still uses two plates given our status as one of the bottom 3 in terms of highway debt.

I remember a few years ago it was proposed that NJ transfer to one plate. I think law enforcement was the reason used to stick with two plates. That's fine by me. Two plates look "solid". One plated cars always look like something's missing...

I think the real question is, why hasn't NJ changed the designs of their plates in almost 20 years?

hm insulators

• Last Login: October 19, 2017, 04:01:16 PM
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 10:46:08 AM »

I hope this goes through in spite of the balking by the Secretary of State's office.  If Indiana and Michigan can handle one plate, so too can Illinois.

Arizona only has one plate, unless you get a personalized license plate, then you have both front and rear plates. Anybody else have this odd arrangement?
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Brandon

• Stop making sense

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 07:52:25 PM
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 10:49:56 AM »

I remember a few years ago it was proposed that NJ transfer to one plate. I think law enforcement was the reason used to stick with two plates. That's fine by me. Two plates look "solid". One plated cars always look like something's missing...

I think the real question is, why hasn't NJ changed the designs of their plates in almost 20 years?

Law enforcement thinks they need a lot of things, but believe me, it's a BS argument.  Other states get by with one plate and their LEOs have no trouble with that.  One plate, IMHO, is enough for the vehicle.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Alex

• Webmaster

• AARoads
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 11:23:41 AM »

Arizona only has one plate, unless you get a personalized license plate, then you have both front and rear plates. Anybody else have this odd arrangement?

SC issues a different plate base, but still only one tag in total, for those with a vanity tag. That is about the only thing I can think of in similar vein.

signalman

• It's not the destination, but the trip to/from it

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:49:37 PM
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 07:22:07 PM »

Arizona also issues pairs for optional graphic types.  I believe this set up is unique to Arizona.  However, it is not required to display the pair.  I personally like that method and I wish New Jersey would do something similar.  I see nothing wrong with a single plate.  Currently it works for 19 states.

roadfro

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 07:21:57 PM
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 07:45:46 PM »

Nevada issues two plates. Two plates are required, unless the vehicle does is not manufactured with a mounting location (or add-on mounting bracket) for the front plate.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Alex

• Webmaster

• AARoads
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 01:29:20 AM »

Front license plate bill dies in committee

A proposed law that would have removed the front license plates on Illinois cars and trucks failed an early test Tuesday.

A House committee voted 4-2 against the measure, which would require drivers have just one plate in the rear of their vehicle.

Alex

• Webmaster

• AARoads
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 02:33:17 PM »

New Mexico centennial plate coming in 2010

Gov. Richardson has introduced this new license plate to commemorate the centennial year of New Mexico statehood (2012).

The new plate features a classic look in turquoise, yellow and red.

The Centennial license plates will go on sale in January 2010, at which time the "Balloon" plate, a popular option since 1999, will be phased out.

agentsteel53

• invisible hand

• long live button copy!

• Last Login: November 21, 2016, 09:58:39 AM
    • AARoads Shield Gallery
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 08:09:34 PM »

just saw one today... in Colorado, oddly enough.  I like the way it looks.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

sandiaman

• Last Login: July 03, 2015, 02:55:54 PM
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 02:23:42 PM »

New  Mexico  has  already  introduced its Centennial  plate .  It is turquoise  (the  state  gem)  with yellow letters and white  lettering for the state name.  Interesting item:  by law NM has to use its state  colors   yellow and red , so the Zia symbol  is in red  to comply  with the law.  It is called the retro  plate

algorerhythms

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:19:41 PM
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2010, 11:01:43 PM »

Front license plate bill dies in committee

A proposed law that would have removed the front license plates on Illinois cars and trucks failed an early test Tuesday.

A House committee voted 4-2 against the measure, which would require drivers have just one plate in the rear of their vehicle.
Maryland is currently considering a similar bill.

SP Cook

• Last Login: March 14, 2024, 10:29:11 AM
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2010, 08:10:24 AM »

Two plates as a law enforcement thing would only be an argument if two things were true.

- Every jurisdiction had two plates.

- Motor patrols spent much of their time enfocing actual legitimate laws in which identifying cars from the front was a part.

Neither is.

NJRoadfan

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:30:29 PM
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2010, 09:55:15 AM »

The lack of plate sales may effect the availability of some specialty tags over he coming years...

Could the selection from a choice of eleventy billion specialty plates be a reason why?

As for front plates, those 19 states (and any Canadian providence with a similar setup) are an exception rather then the norm. No where else in the world (that I know of) allows for one plate on a car, and no where else really has custom bases or order on demand vanity plates either.

HalifaxTravaler

• Last Login: May 08, 2011, 08:16:57 PM
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2010, 10:23:57 AM »

Nova Scotia has made the switch to 1 plate, years ago. As for fees, it costs me $199 every 2 years to renew my plate.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 10:37:48 AM by deathtopumpkins »

J N Winkler

• Last Login: Today at 01:13:28 AM
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2010, 01:17:58 PM »

Arizona also issues pairs for optional graphic types.  I believe this set up is unique to Arizona.  However, it is not required to display the pair.

The same is true in Kansas, at least for the standard vanity tag (the "buffalo plate").  I don't know if it is also true for special-issue plates for veterans, university supporters, etc.

I see nothing wrong with a single plate.  Currently it works for 19 states.

I have taken my Kansas car out of state and had ignorant fools look at me like I am blatantly breaking the law because they think front plates are required everywhere.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 02:15:39 PM by deathtopumpkins »
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Alex

• Webmaster

• AARoads
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2010, 12:13:18 PM »

DMV wants a hold on new specialty license plates

DOVER -- Legislation to bar the creation of new specialty license plates in Delaware for the next three years will be introduced in the House soon, two legislators say.

Reps. Richard Cathcart, R-Middletown, and David Wilson, R-Bridgeville, say their bill is in reaction to a letter from Division of Motor Vehicles Director Jennifer Cohan asking that the General Assembly “consider limiting/capping the number of specialty plate legislative initiatives.”

In the letter, Cohan acknowledged many worthwhile organizations seek specialty license plates, but said that adding to the more than 100 specialty plates currently managed by DMV would place an increasing burden on her agency.

Cathcart said the bill would impose a three-year moratorium on the creation of new license plates, starting Jan. 1.

“This bill will give the agency a little breathing room and an opportunity to improve the system,”  he said.

The bill would not affect pending legislation to create specialty tags for veterans of Operation Enduring Freedom, Safe Haven No Kill Animal Sanctuary and the Delaware Breast Cancer Coalition.

The administrations of former Govs. Tom Carper and Ruth Ann Minner both had temporary, informal moratoriums on the introduction of new tags.

The bill is expected to be introduced shortly after legislators return from their two-week recess June 1.

mhallack

• Last Login: January 04, 2021, 08:32:28 PM
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2010, 12:25:10 PM »

The only time you can have one plate on your car in Maine is the 14 day paper plate when you buy a new car. Otherwise you have to have two (both plates with reg stickers. I know CA didn't need reg stickers on the front plate) And they will yank you over quick if you don't have a front plate.

Maine also have 25 varieties of plates for cars (20 or so for regular non-govt cars) which I think is a waste.

bulldog1979

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 02:13:24 AM
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2010, 12:41:59 PM »

I see nothing wrong with a single plate.  Currently it works for 19 states.

I have taken my Kansas car out of state and had ignorant fools look at me like I am blatantly breaking the law because they think front plates are required everywhere.

My parents were questioned by a customs official coming back from Sault Ste. Marie, ON about the lack of a front plate. He actually had to get out of his booth to record our plate. The odd thing is that I've never known Michigan to have front plates, and this was in Sault Ste. Marie, MI when it happened!

Alex

• Webmaster

• AARoads
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2010, 11:55:38 AM »

N.J. agency recalls objectionable license plate

Kim Romano looks forward to replacing the license plates on her car with one that offers a response to the turmoil her original tags have generated in recent weeks.

The laid-back new plate -- "WHAEVER" -- is what Romano, 49, said has been going through her head lately about an incident that has caught the attention of newspapers, radio stations and television broadcasts.

A media blitz began when Romano's license plate number, BIOCH, was recalled by the state Motor Vehicle Commission after someone complained that the language on it was profane. "Bioch" was Romano's spelling of a slang word for another word considered by some to be a curse, but which also is the correct term for a female dog.

xcellntbuy

• Location: Milledgeville, GA, the Antebellum capital (1804-1868)
  • Last Login: April 05, 2022, 10:57:44 PM
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2010, 12:35:56 PM »

Supposedly a valid Florida tag "YMFCS" is out there.  I will let our members do the interpretation.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.