AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: License Plate News  (Read 647557 times)

Scott5114

• Nit picker of unprecedented pedantry

• Last Login: Today at 02:08:14 AM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
Re: License Plate News
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2010, 05:33:09 PM »

Your Mother-F'ing Car Sucks?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

agentsteel53

• invisible hand

• long live button copy!

• Last Login: November 21, 2016, 09:58:39 AM
    • AARoads Shield Gallery
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2010, 08:39:50 PM »

someone complained that the language on it was profane.

people need to learn to mind their own business.  If it offends you, don't look at it. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

xcellntbuy

• Location: Milledgeville, GA, the Antebellum capital (1804-1868)
  • Last Login: April 05, 2022, 10:57:44 PM
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2010, 09:17:29 PM »

Your Mother-F'ing Car Sucks?
Close.  Orally enjoying the male anatomy is supposedly the aim of the last two words.

Anyway... since I have vanity plates for my two sports cars, I always find it amazing that people would pay extra for these crypto-slogans on their plates, but in south Florida ANYTHING is possible.

agentsteel53

• invisible hand

• long live button copy!

• AARoads Shield Gallery
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2010, 10:07:49 PM »

Close.  Orally enjoying the male anatomy is supposedly the aim of the last two words.

your mother-f'ing [male anatomy oral enjoyer]?

is that an advertisement? a threat? just covering all the bases?

do what you will to me, but leave my mother out of this!

jake@aaroads.com

bulldog1979

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 02:13:24 AM
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2010, 06:37:02 AM »

Supposedly the Secretary of State's Office here in Michigan had previously cancelled vanity plates that included "TOPLESS" (on a convertible) and "HOOKER" (the owner's last name). I guess the plate number "ORON" got out on a UofM vanity plate, which replaces the first character with UofM's block letter "M". Likewise for "TUPID" on a Michigan State plate, which uses the Spartan "S" in the space for the first character. I was surprised to see an MSU plate with "EK7OY", which read like "sex toy" to me.

xcellntbuy

• Location: Milledgeville, GA, the Antebellum capital (1804-1868)
  • Last Login: April 05, 2022, 10:57:44 PM
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2010, 07:44:09 AM »

"4PLAY" "FOURPLAY" and "FORPLAY" have also been banned in New York.

Scott5114

• Nit picker of unprecedented pedantry

• Last Login: Today at 02:08:14 AM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2010, 08:20:32 AM »

Don't forget the infamous Florida "A55 RGY".
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

burgess87

• Last Login: February 27, 2024, 03:39:10 PM
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2010, 01:26:17 PM »

Don't forget the infamous Florida "A55 RGY".

I did that on one of my cars in Midnight Club LA for kicks & giggles . . . . thought it came out OK.

Alex

• Webmaster

• Last Login: February 20, 2024, 02:36:56 PM
    • AARoads
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2010, 11:38:23 AM »

New standard license plate marks War of 1812

A few hours after the dawn's early light Monday, the state Motor Vehicle Administration will begin issuing a new Maryland license plate – replacing the generic black-and-white version with a design commemorating the War of 1812 and the defense of Fort McHenry.

The plate, which will become the standard issue for newly registered cars, will be introduced today at the MVA's 100th anniversary celebration at its Glen Burnie headquarters.

It depicts the Fort McHenry ramparts and bombs bursting in air during the 1814 struggle that inspired Marylander Francis Scott Key to pen an ode – later set to music – he called the "Star-Spangled Banner." The new design will remain the standard-issue plate until June 2015.

Vehicle owners who now have standard-design tags will be able to keep them. Those who want to switch to the new tags when renewing registrations can do so for a $20 fee.

Starting Monday, newly purchased vehicles will be issued the War of 1812 plates without a fee, said MVA spokesman Buel Young. The design will be used for trucks, motorcycles and multipurpose vehicles as well as passenger cars.

mefailenglish

• That's Unpossible!

• Last Login: December 31, 2017, 08:31:45 PM
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2010, 08:12:58 AM »

I finally saw one of these in the wild yesterday.  Only took a couple of weeks.

A few hours after the dawn's early light Monday, the state Motor Vehicle Administration will begin issuing a new Maryland license plate – replacing the generic black-and-white version with a design commemorating the War of 1812 and the defense of Fort McHenry.

deathtopumpkins

• Last Login: March 13, 2024, 01:10:40 PM
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2010, 09:45:18 AM »

I saw one too on US 13 Monday. I thought it was a really nice design. Couldn't see the whole thing though because of one of those stupid plastic frames.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Brandon

• Stop making sense

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 07:52:25 PM
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2010, 10:50:03 AM »

I saw one too on US 13 Monday. I thought it was a really nice design. Couldn't see the whole thing though because of one of those stupid plastic frames.

Why do people keep those stupid dealer frames on the car?  OK, so we know you bought it from Joe Blow's Rip Off Honda in Boofoo, MT.  Why should we care?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

tdindy88

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:34:27 PM
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2010, 11:26:29 AM »

Why do people keep those stupid dealer frames on the car?  OK, so we know you bought it from Joe Blow's Rip Off Honda in Boofoo, MT.  Why should we care?

Well, in Indiana at least those frames are enough to cover up the county name sticker at the top of the plate or the county number at the bottom, meaning that others won't be able to determine where in the state you are from. Of course the police have begun to crack down on these frames but they are still around many plates.

florida

• Last Login: March 14, 2021, 08:12:37 PM
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2010, 12:07:43 PM »

Supposedly a valid Florida tag "YMFCS" is out there.  I will let our members do the interpretation.

It's not a disability tag where the S is a 5? Maybe...just maybe....? ;)
So many roads...so little time.

agentsteel53

• invisible hand

• long live button copy!

• AARoads Shield Gallery
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2010, 12:13:53 PM »

It's not a disability tag where the S is a 5? Maybe...just maybe....? ;)

"5, 5, me love you long time?"

jake@aaroads.com

Alex

• Webmaster

• AARoads
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2010, 10:47:44 PM »

Pure laziness.

The first new MD tag I saw in Baltimore was covered by a car dealer tag, but it did not take long to see another and another. I also saw several of the new yellow/blue NY tags as well *bleh*

corco

• Just Livin' the Dream

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:47:40 AM
    • Corcohighways.org
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2010, 10:57:33 PM »

Why do people keep those stupid dealer frames on the car?  OK, so we know you bought it from Joe Blow's Rip Off Honda in Boofoo, MT.  Why should we care?

Some people think they're required for structural integrity- I went to the DMV a few years ago with a a very good (and very intelligent) friend of mine who got a new car. The conversation went as follows when we were putting his license plates on:

Me: Just out of curiosity, why are you putting the dealer brackets on your new plate?
Him: Can you get the license plate on the car without the brackets?
Me: Yes.
Him: Are you sure? Will it scratch the paint? [This was an 02 Civic, so the plate was mounted right on the painted part of the trunklid)
Me: Yes. Those brackets are strictly for advertising purposes to let everyone know where you bought your car.
Him: Oh, OK, I won't do that then.

Evidently his parents were always under that impression too (and these are reasonably smart people), so I'd imagine that's the case with a lot of folks.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 10:59:35 PM by corco »

UptownRoadGeek

• Last Login: August 24, 2020, 08:48:49 PM
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2010, 01:31:51 AM »

It just depends on where you are. Every other car you see in Louisiana will have one whereas you will rarely see any in Mississippi. In Texas it will be 50/50. I think it is a pride thing since most dealer plates have the city or region on it in big bold letters. WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE? Here people who don't have dealer frames will got to Wal-Mart, etc. and by a generic frame. They're so common that cars don't even look right without them to me.

Alex

• Webmaster

• AARoads
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2010, 10:25:23 AM »

There is also another reason why you see so many car dealer plate toppers. If the dealer offers to put the tag on for you, they will do so and automatically put the dealer plate topper on as well. Most will just leave it that way out of convenience.

Tom

• Last Login: June 26, 2023, 07:03:09 PM
    • US-112
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2010, 05:42:01 PM »

In Michigan, some years ago, someone pulled a fast one for a personalized plate by having a suggestive message put on the plate backwards: 3M TA3 :-/. :coffee:
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 08:35:35 PM by Tom »

realjd

• Last Login: July 11, 2020, 01:09:51 PM
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2010, 08:19:01 PM »

Supposedly a valid Florida tag "YMFCS" is out there.  I will let our members do the interpretation.

Playing around with the FL vanity plate checker, DIAF is still available, and is valid on the Challenger/Columbia plate!

/Poor taste, I know...

Tom

• US-112
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2010, 08:58:07 PM »

A "Whit" Worthworth collected license plates and posted pictures of them on his website.  Sadly, he died in August, and I want to bookmark his website here in his memory:
http://www.whitworthfamily.org/index1.htm :coffee:

SP Cook

• Last Login: March 14, 2024, 10:29:11 AM
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2010, 07:25:30 AM »

Frames:

- Dealer ad frames bug me.  I see people who actually have paid good money for alumni places, and then cover up most of the college's name and logo with a dealer ad frame.  Why bother?

- My daughter lives in NC.  New NC law, for in-state and out-of-state cars alike, is that any frame cannot cover ANY part of the state name or any renewal sticker.  Cops are actually enforcing this.

Tom

• US-112
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2010, 04:48:29 PM »

Does anybody remember the 1963-1964 mini license plates from General Mills' Wheaties that you could send away for?  They included all 50 U.S. States and the provinces (and territories?) of the Dominion of Canada, and you could peel off the backs of them and put them wherever you wanted.  I had some of those (wish I still did). :coffee:

6a

• Last Login: March 13, 2024, 02:33:17 AM
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2010, 04:55:53 PM »

Frames:

- Dealer ad frames bug me.  I see people who actually have paid good money for alumni places, and then cover up most of the college's name and logo with a dealer ad frame.  Why bother?

I just disagree with the fact that I'm paying the dealer to advertise for them :D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.