AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: License Plate News  (Read 647549 times)

Scott5114

• Nit picker of unprecedented pedantry

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:33:07 PM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
Re: License Plate News
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2010, 10:16:46 PM »

Here dealer ad frames are not as common as vinyl decals with the name of the dealership. My PT Cruiser came with a sticker that read "Reynolds/Norman, OK". I peeled off the Reynolds part, but decided to leave "Norman, OK" for now.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Tom

• Last Login: June 26, 2023, 07:03:09 PM
    • US-112
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2010, 10:01:02 AM »

This issue of LIFE Magazine from November 1938 shows pictures of license plates 4 all 48 states for 1939 on pages 44 + 45:
http://books.google.com/books?id=a00EAAAAMBAJ&source=gbs_all_issues_r&cad=1 :coffee:

exit322

• Last Login: September 30, 2022, 12:08:16 PM
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2010, 10:27:56 AM »

When I bought my last car, the dealer put on my old plates (I traded my old car in - got a good price for a junk car + a good price for the new car...I'm sure they made money, but I was pleased with the price I paid) and put their dealer thing around the plate.  When he got back I had adjusted the sales contract I hadn't yet signed to include a $1,000 advertising discount.  "Well, I'm advertising your place whenever I drive anywhere, and since I drive all over the place and nationally, $1,000 is pretty cheap advertising for the hundreds of thousands of cars I will see over the next few years."

I don't have a dealer thing on my plate.

Scott5114

• Nit picker of unprecedented pedantry

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:33:07 PM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2010, 10:34:41 AM »

Wow. Wish I had thought to do that. :P
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bulldog1979

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 02:13:24 AM
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2010, 11:01:54 PM »

My family has an odd superstition about dealer decals on our cars. My parents' 1981 Olds Omega needed some body work done on the back end after some vandalism. In the process of the repairs, the dealer sticker came off the car. Afterwards, the Omega started having engine troubles, going through thermostats at a rapid pace.

My parents ordered a 1989 Olds Cutlass Calais that came without a sticker on it. The fuel pump failed before the odometer rolled past 50 miles. After it was towed to the dealer, Mom asked our salesman if "now that bugs are worked out of it, you'd be proud enough to claim the sale and attach the sticker." The car only had the typical repairs after that point.

When my parents ordered a 2002 Olds Intrigue, they agreed to sell me their 1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme. The Supreme's dealer sticker was starting to peel off the trunk lid. They told their salesman that it was a condition of the sale of the new car to get a new sticker for their old car before it was transferred to me. (They've only dealt with the same salesman for all of their cars, even though the dealer was Fisher Chevy Olds in 1980, Nelson Chevy Olds Geo in 1993 and Crown Motors of Negaunee in 2001.) He dug up some old Nelson's stickers he stashed before the dealer name changed earlier that year.

My current car is a 2003 Olds Alero, bought from Crown Motors. Like its predecessors, the new owners always kept their iconic UP-shaped stickers, and since I used the same salesman, I'm the third generation of the family to buy a car there. Between grandma's old car, my parents' old car and my current car, I've owned cars with three similar dealer stickers all originally sold by the same salesman . Sadly, Crown has since sold to Fox Motors, and the UP-shaped stickers are a thing of the past.

SidS1045

• Last Login: March 14, 2024, 02:13:11 PM
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2010, 11:50:19 AM »

Talk about your superstitions...

In Massachusetts, way back in the era when license plates were changed every year, the Regsitry of Motor Vehicles decided to place an image of the codfish (the official fish of the Commonwealth, and the source of much income for the Bay State's fishing industry) on the license plates for 1928.  The fish (really looking more like a long guppy than a codfish) was placed at the bottom of the plate, between "1928" and "Mass," with the fish's head facing away from "Mass."  1928 turned out to be a disastrous year for the Massachusetts fishing industry, and the ever-superstitious fishermen blamed the Registry.

For 1929 the fish (now looking slightly more like a codfish) was still there on truck plates, but now its head was facing "Mass."  It was removed from passenger plates.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 11:52:43 AM by SidS1045 »
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Alex

• Webmaster

• Last Login: February 20, 2024, 02:36:56 PM
    • AARoads
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2010, 11:31:35 AM »

NJ to unveil new NASCAR license Plates

WALL TOWNSHIP, N.J. – NASCAR fans in New Jersey can start their engines and display new license plates of their favorite drivers.

The Motor Vehicle Commission will unveil 12 new plates at Wall Stadium racetrack in Wall Township today.

One of the plates features New Jersey's own Martin Truex Jr. Truex drove his first modified stock car at Wall Stadium.

His son, NASCAR Driver Ryan Truex, will join MVC Chief Administrator Raymond Martinez at the stadium.

NASCAR license plates are available for a one-time fee of $60. The plates can be personalized for an additional $50.

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2010, 07:21:04 PM »

I've now seen ZZZ issue NJ plates and the first of the new A##*ANN plates, so I can confirm NJ has switched to its newest alphanumeric scheme.

corco

• Just Livin' the Dream

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:47:40 AM
    • Corcohighways.org
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2010, 05:58:46 PM »

For all those folks who care about Idaho, Ada County finally exhausted the 1A XX000 series, finishing with ZZ999. I saw the first of the new number format. It's 0X000- the one I saw was 1A 1M897 or something like that. I suspect once that's exhausted they'll go 0XX00.

jwolfer

• Last Login: November 09, 2019, 11:16:34 AM
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2010, 07:34:40 PM »

Wonder why NJ still uses two plates given our status as one of the bottom 3 in terms of highway debt.

My Mom is from Northern Florida but I grew up in NJ.  When I was 12 I spent the summer with my Granny here in Jacksonville and I really hated being a Yankee after that, so I took my Dad's front tag off to look more like FL.  He would have failed inspection other than wearing his police uniform.  He was pissed

I am a fan of Dexter on Showtime but I get annoyed because it is set in Miami and they always show a front Florida tag.  Don't they have people that check for continuity etc that would say hey its not California... Florida doesn't have front licence plates.  But I think that the movies/TV show front tags for everywhere because those people never go anywhere but Calfornia and New York

jwolfer

« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2010, 07:38:03 PM »

The only time you can have one plate on your car in Maine is the 14 day paper plate when you buy a new car. Otherwise you have to have two (both plates with reg stickers. I know CA didn't need reg stickers on the front plate) And they will yank you over quick if you don't have a front plate.

Maine also have 25 varieties of plates for cars (20 or so for regular non-govt cars) which I think is a waste.

I know someone who was trying to make $4000 by transporting some pot from California to Nebraska.  He got pulled over for not having a front tag.. busted with 60lbs of marijuana for not having a front tag

Revive 755

• Last Login: March 13, 2024, 10:56:10 PM
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2011, 12:56:03 AM »

First of Nebraska's new plates issued (includes a picture of the new design)
http://www.journaldemocrat.com/news/x1458585990/Nebraskas-new-license-plates-issued-in-Otoe-County

Personally, I liked the current design much better.

jwolfer

« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2011, 01:21:13 AM »

First of Nebraska's new plates issued (includes a picture of the new design)
http://www.journaldemocrat.com/news/x1458585990/Nebraskas-new-license-plates-issued-in-Otoe-County

Personally, I liked the current design much better.

NOT ANOTHER STATE WEBSITE!!!  I really hate the MYFLORIDA.COM  tags we have in Florida

[Fixed quoting. -S.]
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 06:06:46 AM by Scott5114 »

Andrew T.

• Canadian West Virginian

• Last Login: January 28, 2024, 10:20:44 AM
    • The Andrew Turnbull Network
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2011, 02:48:02 PM »

The serial font is a step above the epitomization of illegibility they used before.  I won't forgive the state for doing away with embossing in 2004, though.
Think Metric!

Alex

• Webmaster

• Last Login: February 20, 2024, 02:36:56 PM
    • AARoads
« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2011, 03:22:04 PM »

Georgia Department of Revenue hosts contest for new license plate design

ATLANTA – There's just over a week left to submit artwork in the state Department of Revenue's license plate design contest.

The department is seeking an original design to appear on the new, general Georgia license plate starting in 2012. The deadline for entries is next Friday, June 17.

The contest is open to all Georgia citizens or companies authorized to do business in the state. The public will get the opportunity to choose three semifinalists in an online vote from June 24 to July 8.

Those three designs will be presented to Gov. Nathan Deal, who will announce the winning design July 15.

brownpelican

• Last Login: January 03, 2023, 08:07:07 PM
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2011, 07:29:01 PM »

Louisiana's bicentennial plate is pretty popular:

SP Cook

• Last Login: March 14, 2024, 10:29:11 AM
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2011, 07:50:37 AM »

Here is one I am conflicted on.  West Virginia and Virginia have joined Kentucky in offering plates to members of the "Friends of Coal", and apparently such efforts are pending in other coal states.

Now, personally, I agree with the group's views, but to have such an opennly political organization on a government issued plate seems to open a Pandora's Box to every such group everywhere.

Brandon

• Stop making sense

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 07:52:25 PM
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2011, 08:04:11 AM »

^^ Maybe the first time in KY and WV, but political orgs have done this in other states.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Michael in Philly

• Last Login: August 10, 2013, 11:34:05 AM
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2011, 11:29:25 AM »

Here is one I am conflicted on.  West Virginia and Virginia have joined Kentucky in offering plates to members of the "Friends of Coal", and apparently such efforts are pending in other coal states.

Now, personally, I agree with the group's views, but to have such an opennly political organization on a government issued plate seems to open a Pandora's Box to every such group everywhere.

It's probably legal, but once they start permitting one organization's slogans on their plates, I believe they are legally obligated to permit any organization that wants it.  If that's what you mean by Pandora's box.  (Incidentally, I believe I've read that New Hampshire and the District of Columbia have to make plates without the "Live free or die" and "Taxation without representation" available to people who don't want those slogans.  Although, [warning: editorial] having lived in Washington, I can't imagine who in their right mind would prefer continued non-representation, and I'd be all for embarrassing the rest of the country, or at least the representatives from the rest of the country who are wandering around Washington, albeit most of them are probably impervious to embarrassment, about it on my license plate [end of editorial].)
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

Sykotyk

• Last Login: February 21, 2024, 11:11:42 AM
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2011, 09:52:24 PM »

Supposedly a valid Florida tag "YMFCS" is out there.  I will let our members do the interpretation.

It's not a disability tag where the S is a 5? Maybe...just maybe....? ;)

YMFCS - Your M*****-F***ing Car Sucks?

or

You M*****-F***ing C*** Sucker?

With the rest of the discussion, I hate the dealer plate holder hiding the state, etc. In Ohio, you're not supposed to cover up your reg tag or county tag. As for state's with web addresses, apparently the people in charge of approving the new designs have never heard of google.

I don't think there's one person alive who thought, "I really want to learn about visiting Florida, but don't know how to find that online. Oh well."
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 09:56:57 PM by Sykotyk »

1995hoo

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:22:06 PM
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2011, 10:30:28 PM »

In some states that require front plates, the cops like them because the front plate provides a convenient target when they're using laser speed enforcement.

Regarding different plate designs, Virginia has something like 180 or more options. The General Assembly has to approve each design and they have a process set up where it's more or less a rubber-stamp once they get the 350 applicants for a specific design, but it still seems like the legislators ought to have better things to do than deal with license-plate designs.

Regarding profane plates, there was an article in the Washington Post a few years ago about a woman in Maryland whose plate was revoked because of complaints about it bearing a word that women do not like. The woman who had the plate claimed that it meant "COUNTESS," as in the title of nobility, but that because of the character limitation she had to omit a letter and so she omitted the "O" to make it fit. You figure it out....  :-D
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

agentsteel53

• invisible hand

• long live button copy!

• Last Login: November 21, 2016, 09:58:39 AM
    • AARoads Shield Gallery
« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2011, 11:38:55 PM »

YMFCS - Your M*****-F***ing Car Sucks?

or

You M*****-F***ing C*** Sucker?

did we ever resolve what this stands for upthread?  I don't remember reading an answer.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

realjd

• Last Login: July 11, 2020, 01:09:51 PM
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2011, 12:40:38 PM »

We have "Choose Life" anti-abortion plates here. Also "Family First" and "Family Values" plates that fund anti-gay groups, as well as a few other plates funding Christian groups. But how to does the state differentiate a non-profit political group from any other non-profit? It's not always clear cut. Take our "Save the Manatees" plate for instance. It funds a group that is viewed by some here as a vocal anti-boating political organization fronting as an environmental charity, while others see the group as purely dedicated to protecting an endangered species. Who would (or should) get to decide? That's why they leave it open to all.

agentsteel53

• invisible hand

• long live button copy!

• Last Login: November 21, 2016, 09:58:39 AM
    • AARoads Shield Gallery
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2011, 01:24:01 PM »

has the KKK attempted to sponsor license plates yet?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

mightyace

• Last Login: October 04, 2012, 01:36:29 PM
    • My Flickr Photos
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2011, 03:22:15 PM »

That's why they leave it open to all.

Exactly, we should allow anybody or nobody.

In Tennessee, we have many of the same plates you described.  Plus many others.

You have civic organizations with plates, plus the masons who are either a civic organization, secret society, quasi-religion, etc. depending on who you ask.

has the KKK attempted to sponsor license plates yet?
No, but we do have Sons of Confederate Veterans, complete with Confederate Battle Flag!

Some others that might cause controversy:
American Eagle Foundation (preservation  of the Eagle) with "In God We Trust" on  the plate:

The second amendment crowd:

Tree huggers (Tennessee Wildlife Federation):

And the numerous college and pro plates.  And, yes, you can get an U of Alabama or U of Florida plate as well as UT!
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.