AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Longest Interstate You Haven't Been On  (Read 41606 times)

kphoger

• My 2 Achilles' heels: sarcasm & snark

• Last Login: Today at 09:31:10 PM
Re: Longest Interstate You Haven't Been On
« Reply #300 on: May 06, 2022, 01:55:56 PM »

I've decided there's a North Central Midwest, Southeastern Midwest, Near Western Midwest, and a Further Eastern Midwest.

Y'all can decide which states and sub-regions belong in there, but I'll be really disappointed if Buffalo and Paducah don't enter the discussion.

While I, as a nitpicker, appreciate your attempt to make this needlessly more complicated than it already is–I also do not appreciate your attempt to make this needlessly more complicated than it already is.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. Dick
If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

• latest clinch

• Last Login: Today at 09:14:36 PM
« Reply #301 on: May 06, 2022, 02:04:39 PM »

I've decided there's a North Central Midwest, Southeastern Midwest, Near Western Midwest, and a Further Eastern Midwest.

Y'all can decide which states and sub-regions belong in there, but I'll be really disappointed if Buffalo and Paducah don't enter the discussion.

While I, as a nitpicker, appreciate your attempt to make this needlessly more complicated than it already is–I also do not appreciate your attempt to make this needlessly more complicated than it already is.

You're right, I forgot the Middle Centroid Solid Doughnut Hole Midwest.

kphoger

« Reply #302 on: May 06, 2022, 02:21:07 PM »

You're right, I forgot the Middle Centroid Solid Doughnut Hole Midwest.

Which one is Tuscola, IL, in?  I'm going with the Moderately East Pancake Unsweet Tea Midwest, but you may disagree.
Male pronouns, please.

If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hobsini2

• Last Login: Today at 07:43:32 PM
« Reply #303 on: May 18, 2022, 07:55:40 PM »

You all are wrong. The Midwest is just my little corner of the world. And I mean corner. Other side of the street, fuck it. :)
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

hobsini2

• Last Login: Today at 07:43:32 PM
« Reply #304 on: May 18, 2022, 08:02:33 PM »

But seriously, as someone who stormchases and knows the land well, I do consider the Eastern Great Plains as part of the Midwest. I define the "gray area" between the Eastern and Western Great Plains to be roughly 50 miles east of the CO/KS border and going straight north and south from roughly Amarillo to Minot. 
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

kphoger

« Reply #305 on: May 18, 2022, 09:19:42 PM »

I define the "gray area" between the Eastern and Western Great Plains to be roughly 50 miles east of the CO/KS border and going straight north and south from roughly Amarillo to Minot. 

Heh.  The town I grew up in is at mile marker 55.
Male pronouns, please.

thspfc

• Last Login: Today at 05:07:34 PM
« Reply #306 on: May 18, 2022, 10:03:09 PM »

I define it at the Colorado/Kansas border. Why? Because the line has to be drawn somewhere, and no matter where you draw it, there's going to be "how is x in this region while y is in this region" complaints, so you might as well draw the line on the state border where it's clear and obvious.

SkyPesos

• I-80E to NYC, not Clarion, Dubois, Bloomsburg, etc

• Last Login: Today at 08:49:30 PM
« Reply #307 on: May 19, 2022, 09:18:03 AM »

On the eastern side, where do you all think the Midwest begins/ends? Most common answer is OH border with WV or PA, though I've seen Pittsburgh and Buffalo get included in sometimes, and I know some East coasters think the Midwest begins west of I-81.

kphoger

« Reply #308 on: May 19, 2022, 09:18:52 AM »

As I've said, the KS/CO state line is a decent approximation, but it still doesn't solve (for me, at least) the Dakotas/Montana conundrum.
Male pronouns, please.

CoreySamson

• ORU Class of '26

• Last Login: Today at 10:21:16 PM
« Reply #309 on: May 19, 2022, 03:24:01 PM »

On the eastern side, where do you all think the Midwest begins/ends? Most common answer is OH border with WV or PA, though I've seen Pittsburgh and Buffalo get included in sometimes, and I know some East coasters think the Midwest begins west of I-81.
I personally treat the I-71 corridor as the general eastern Midwest border. If Ontario was part of the US I could see the rationale for including WNY and Pittsburgh in it, but since it is not, I don't.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Nacho

• Last Login: March 13, 2024, 11:07:27 PM
« Reply #310 on: May 19, 2022, 11:52:29 PM »

The longest Interstate I haven't been on is I-10. I-90 is probably the Interstate I've been on most often, and I've been on I-80 many times as well (including the portion that's 80/90). I've only been on I-40 a couple times, but I have been on it, so I-10 it is.

Growing up I generally thought of the Midwest as the states with "traditional" Big Ten universities, i.e., Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, and Iowa. I'm willing to accept a larger Midwest with Great Lakes and Great Plains subregions though it gets tricky once you start considering whether all of this or that state is truly Midwestern, or if it's just part.

Scott5114

• Nit picker of unprecedented pedantry

• Last Login: Today at 10:33:07 PM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
« Reply #311 on: May 20, 2022, 02:40:41 AM »

↑ Anything that has Iowa and Nebraska in separate categories is even stranger than one that has Kansas and Missouri split. They are very similar to one another.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

webny99

• Last Login: Today at 10:03:01 PM
« Reply #312 on: May 20, 2022, 09:44:54 AM »

I'd say Cleveland, mayyyybe Erie PA. Buffalo and Pittsburgh are very Rust Belt, but that's not synonymous with Midwest by any stretch even though it clearly overlaps.

kphoger

« Reply #313 on: May 20, 2022, 09:47:03 AM »

↑ Anything that has Iowa and Nebraska in separate categories is even stranger than one that has Kansas and Missouri split. They are very similar to one another.

At least it must be said that the farmland of southeastern Nebraska isn't much at all like the Sand Hills.
Male pronouns, please.

Nacho

• Last Login: March 13, 2024, 11:07:27 PM
« Reply #314 on: May 20, 2022, 02:55:37 PM »

I'll admit Iowa is something of an awkward fit here as it's the only one of those states that doesn't border the Great Lakes and the only one that wasn't at least part of the Northwest Territory. It's just that in my mind growing up (with apologies to fans of the old Big 8) the Big Ten was the Midwestern conference and therefore the Midwestern states were the states with Big Ten schools (except Pennsylvania, because Penn State was a johnny-come-lately). As I said, I now think of the Midwest as being a larger region with two subregions.

Though I think you'll always run into a bit of the problem of states A&B, B&C, and C&D feel like they should be in the same region but A&D don't.

TheHighwayMan394

• Last Login: Today at 10:39:38 PM
« Reply #315 on: May 20, 2022, 03:18:15 PM »

I'd say Cleveland, mayyyybe Erie PA. Buffalo and Pittsburgh are very Rust Belt, but that's not synonymous with Midwest by any stretch even though it clearly overlaps.

I don't think there's a maybe about Buffalo and Pittsburgh being Rust Belt - they absolutely are. As it comes to culture, it's like why I said you can't separate MN and WI from ND and SD - you can't separate Cleveland from Buffalo and Pittsburgh culturally.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 03:21:04 PM by TheHighwayMan394 »
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

webny99

• Last Login: Today at 10:03:01 PM
« Reply #316 on: May 20, 2022, 03:52:21 PM »

I don't think there's a maybe about Buffalo and Pittsburgh being Rust Belt - they absolutely are. As it comes to culture, it's like why I said you can't separate MN and WI from ND and SD - you can't separate Cleveland from Buffalo and Pittsburgh culturally.

Right, I don't think we're disagreeing. I was referring to Cleveland/Erie as the eastern boundary of the Midwest. All four cities are very much part of the Rust Belt, which I think overlaps with the Midwest but is not synonymous.

TheHighwayMan394

• Last Login: Today at 10:39:38 PM
« Reply #317 on: May 20, 2022, 04:02:18 PM »

Yeah, maybe one day I'll learn to read again.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

US 89

• Your friendly neighborhood meteorologist

• Last Login: February 23, 2024, 09:23:28 AM
    • Utah Highways
« Reply #318 on: July 29, 2023, 11:00:17 AM »

Resurrecting this thread since mine has changed...

Since I last posted in here, I've gotten some mileage on I-94, I-81, and I-77, so my answer is now the eastern I-76.

For US highways - it turns out that somehow, I've been on some part of each of the 63 longest US routes. First one I still have never traveled is US 212. If I were to drive on that, it'd move all the way down to US 10 at #79.

BlueOutback7

• I-5 to Finland or bust!

• Last Login: Today at 10:11:24 PM
« Reply #319 on: July 29, 2023, 11:18:36 AM »

My top 3

I-70 - Almost made it in Baltimore.

I-94 - Never been to the Midwest

I-35 - Same as above.

Back in June, I finally drove I-70 in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Ohio.  So I think after I-94 and I-35, my next one up will be I-10.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Dough4872

• Last Login: Today at 08:58:56 PM
« Reply #320 on: July 29, 2023, 11:31:10 AM »

I-10

machias

• Last Login: Today at 09:02:10 AM
« Reply #321 on: July 29, 2023, 05:33:33 PM »

Interstate 30

Bruce

• [citation needed]

• Stuck on I-5

• Last Login: Today at 01:32:08 AM
    • Wikipedia
« Reply #322 on: July 29, 2023, 05:45:03 PM »

I-40 for me.

I've been on plenty of I-90 in the Northwest and a bit out east. I've been on pieces of I-80 as well.

Longest north-south I've yet to travel on is I-35.

JayhawkCO

• Last Login: Today at 08:40:05 PM
« Reply #323 on: July 29, 2023, 05:51:31 PM »

Currently my answer is I-PR2 at 140 miles, but I have a trip booked to PR to clinch all the interstates there.

Then my answer is I-35W in TX at 87 miles.

epzik8

• Clincher of roadways

• Last Login: Today at 08:46:29 PM
    • The Epzik8 Webpage
« Reply #324 on: July 30, 2023, 06:30:44 AM »

I-10, although I've only truly been to Florida and Mississippi of the states it passes through; I've only been to Alabama for an unscheduled flight layover in Birmingham.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.