News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Ohio Road Meet 2019 - Portsmouth (May 18)

Started by Hot Rod Hootenanny, October 03, 2018, 04:39:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which city/event would you be most interested in visiting/participating

Portsmouth-Oh 823 completion (will need assistance)
9 (64.3%)
Findlay - I-75-US 68-Oh 15 interchange/Old US 25 (Dixie Highway)
1 (7.1%)
Zanesville - National Road Museum/US 40
1 (7.1%)
Cleveland/Cuyahoga Co Bridge Tour
1 (7.1%)
Other (please state your locale & road(s) of choice)
2 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: December 02, 2018, 03:39:48 PM

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Now that I've gotten through this year's "Ohio road meet," its on to next year.
In a perfect world, I'd like to hold next year's get-together in April, but couple of the choices I've provided will dictate their own schedule (Oh 823 happens whenever it is open, if we do Cleveland bridges, I'd want to hold it in August in conjunction with the Detroit-Superior bridge walk)
That said, I'm not beholden to the choices I presented above. If someone else wants to host a get-together in Cincy, Akron, or other location, I'll be more than happy to step aside. Heck, if someone else wants to lead any of the choices I've presented, I'll be happy with that as well.
Any which way, we can manage.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

kevinb1994

Wasn't there supposed to have been a road meet in Toledo? I-75 in Downtown Toledo and the Disalle Bridge is a new project according to OHDOT District 2.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: kevinb1994 on October 03, 2018, 05:58:32 PM
Wasn't there supposed to have been a road meet in Toledo? I-75 in Downtown Toledo and the Disalle Bridge is a new project according to OHDOT District 2.

Last roadmeet in Toledo would have been in 2014, for 'Fort to Port' (aka US 24).
I have heard nothing about any new bridges up that way.

kevinb1994

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on October 03, 2018, 07:56:39 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on October 03, 2018, 05:58:32 PM

Last roadmeet in Toledo would have been in 2014, for 'Fort to Port' (aka US 24).
I have heard nothing about any new bridges up that way.

Okay. Well, I wouldn't mind a Cleveland/Cuyahoga Bridge Tour, which would require me and a family member to fly in and out of Cleveland Hopkins International Airport (CLE) from JAX (depending on the season), or fly in and out of Cleveland Hopkins International Airport (CLE) while transferring at either Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL) or Charlotte-Douglas International Airport (CLT), which would be the only two options otherwise.

cl94

Portsmouth interests me the most. That would make it really easy to get a ton of new counties, including most of the ones I miss in Ohio. I haven't been in that region since the mid-2000s.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

A.J. Bertin

I voted for Portsmouth too. H.B. was talking about hosting something in that area, and I've been interested since he first brought that up. I'd like to spend some time checking out the Portsmouth area.
-A.J. from Michigan

hbelkins

Fort to Port didn't make it anywhere close to Toledo. I attended a meet at Tony Packo's in Toledo many years ago, but it was well before Fort to Port.

The poll only allows for one choice, so I didn't vote. If multiple votes were permitted, I would have chosen Portsmouth and Zanesville.

I have done preliminary scouting on Portsmouth and know where the best stops are to view construction. I was going to fold that in with a trip across the new Ironton bridge, which we saw under construction during the Tri-State meet I did a few years ago. If the idea is to wait until the road is done, then it should just be a simple matter of driving it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kevinb1994

Quote from: hbelkins on October 04, 2018, 11:06:05 AM
Fort to Port didn't make it anywhere close to Toledo. I attended a meet at Tony Packo's in Toledo many years ago, but it was well before Fort to Port.

The poll only allows for one choice, so I didn't vote. If multiple votes were permitted, I would have chosen Portsmouth and Zanesville.

I have done preliminary scouting on Portsmouth and know where the best stops are to view construction. I was going to fold that in with a trip across the new Ironton bridge, which we saw under construction during the Tri-State meet I did a few years ago. If the idea is to wait until the road is done, then it should just be a simple matter of driving it.

That was my suspicion about the Fort to Port road meet. Tony Packo's would still work for another Toledo road meet. I almost voted for one of the other choices, but suddenly recalled the possibility of another Toledo road meet. On the other hand, having the road meet in Portsmouth would require me and a family member to fly in and out of Tri-State Airport (HTS) near Huntington from JAX, with a transfer at Charlotte-Douglas (CLT) via American Eagle.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

2014 Ohio Meet thread (Toledo/Fort to Port) -
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=12116.0

As far as having a roadmeet in Portsmouth, if you feel reinvigorated about hosting it, H.B. go for it. I don't know that area of the state like you do.

A.J. Bertin

H.B., I remember the Toledo meet at Tony Packo's. That was the first time I met you. September 2007.

When I think of the Fort to Port meet that took place, I don't think of the meet that Dan Garnell and Sean Lyons hosted in 2014. (That was kind of a U.S. 24 meet that went southwest of Toledo.) Instead, when I think of "Fort to Port", I think of the meet that Brian Rawson-Ketchum hosted in November 2009 that started in Fort Wayne and headed northeast from there along U.S. 24.
-A.J. from Michigan

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on October 04, 2018, 08:24:32 PM
As far as having a roadmeet in Portsmouth, if you feel reinvigorated about hosting it, H.B. go for it. I don't know that area of the state like you do.

Sandor... if you don't mind me asking, why was Portsmouth one of the options in your poll if that's not a meet you'd be comfortable hosting? I guess I assumed that, when you created the poll, all options in the poll were on the table as far as meets you could potentially host.

I guess I should ask... where would YOU want to host an Ohio meet in 2019? There's no rule that says there must only be one Ohio meet per year. One can be yours, and one could be someone else's... like H.B. if he so desires.
-A.J. from Michigan

hbelkins

Brian's meet that started in Fort Wayne is the one I was thinking about, as well. That's the one where the Indiana state cop chased us off a construction zone.

No, I'm not reinvigorated about doing a Portsmouth meet, but would certainly lend any advice I could to anyone who wanted to do one. I would have done lunch at Fat Patty's in Ashland again, but one of my co-workers races dirt tracks and he's a frequent customer of a restaurant called the Scioto Ribber in Portsmouth that he gives high marks.

bandit957

How about Cincinnati? There hasn't been a Cincinnati meet since 2013.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: bandit957 on October 05, 2018, 04:02:05 PM
Put one together. I don't have the wherewithal to assemble a Cincy meet.

kevinb1994

Well, if a Cincinnati road meet does happen, then me and a family member would have to fly in and out of Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG) from JAX.

hbelkins

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on October 05, 2018, 10:59:16 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on October 05, 2018, 04:02:05 PM
Put one together. I don't have the wherewithal to assemble a Cincy meet.

Is there anything going on in the Cincinnati area, that hasn't been seen before, that would merit a meet?

Maybe the KY 9 relocation. I don't know of anything else.

A.J. Bertin

I actually would not mind seeing a meet in either Findlay or Zanesville. I know I voted for Portsmouth, but I would be very open to Findlay or Zanesville as well.  :nod:
-A.J. from Michigan

kevinb1994

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on October 06, 2018, 05:53:22 PM
I actually would not mind seeing a meet in either Findlay or Zanesville. I know I voted for Portsmouth, but I would be very open to Findley or Zanesville as well.  :nod:
Zanesville would require me and a family member to fly in and out of Rickenbacker International Airport (LCK) from JAX (depending on the season), or fly in and out of John Glenn Columbus International Airport (CMH) while transferring via either Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL) or Charlotte-Douglas (CLT), which would be the only two options otherwise. Findlay would also require transferring via Charlotte-Douglas (CLT), and require me and a family member to fly in and out of Toledo Express Airport (TOL), which would be the same airport for a Toledo road meet.

US71

I've already done Zanesville, but would recommend it and the National Road Museum. Ohio also has a good guide to the NR and all the old bridges and alignments.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kevinb1994

Quote from: US71 on October 07, 2018, 08:33:35 PM
I've already done Zanesville, but would recommend it and the National Road Museum. Ohio also has a good guide to the NR and all the old bridges and alignments.

The National Road was built upon Zane's Trace from Wheeling to Zanesville.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Looks like I don't need to keep the voting booth open any further.
Portsmouth it shall be.
I'll pencil it in for Saturday, May 18 (Lunch location yet to be determined)
Points of interest to include....
Oh 823 (duh)
U.S. Grant & Carl Perkins bridges
Portsmouth flood wall murals
Labold Field - First home of the Detroit Lions.
-----
Maybes include...
The only I-73/74 sign in Ohio (US 52 EB just before the exit for Oh 140)
Otway Covered Bridge (http://bridgehunter.com/oh/scioto/bh50113/)
Portsmouth Earthworks (Indian mounds at several locations in & around Portsmouth) (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portsmouth_Earthworks)
-----
Recommendations for lunch/dinner & other tour stops will be considered.

hbelkins

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on November 20, 2018, 12:50:28 PM
Looks like I don't need to keep the voting booth open any further.
Portsmouth it shall be.
I'll pencil it in for Saturday, May 18 (Lunch location yet to be determined)
Points of interest to include....
Oh 823 (duh)
U.S. Grant & Carl Perkins bridges
Portsmouth flood wall murals
Labold Field - First home of the Detroit Lions.
-----
Maybes include...
The only I-73/74 sign in Ohio (US 52 EB just before the exit for Oh 140)
Otway Covered Bridge (http://bridgehunter.com/oh/scioto/bh50113/)
Portsmouth Earthworks (Indian mounds at several locations in & around Portsmouth) (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portsmouth_Earthworks)
-----
Recommendations for lunch/dinner & other tour stops will be considered.

Might want to venture on down to Ironton to see the new bridge there, which was under construction when I did my tri-state meet in 2013. (And would have been included on the tour had I done a Portsmouth meet, as I had planned to do lunch in Ashland at Fat Patty's again).

Speaking of, Fat Patty's is a possible lunch spot, if Ashland isn't too far away. I have heard great things about a place called the Scioto Ribber in Portsmouth. A co-worker of mine races dirt tracks, and he often goes to race or watch at Portsmouth, and he tries to eat there whenever possible.

This one is definitely do-able for me, since Portsmouth is only about 2.5 miles away. If the new bypass opens next month as scheduled, I'm probably going to go up and check it out sometime over Christmas, depending on how my days off fall.

kevinb1994

As with next year's Pittsburgh meet with only Allegiant Air (which we will not be using due to not enabling the choice of the day after this meet for our return flight and not having the ideal flight times for the day before this meeet for our departing flight; we will be using American Airlines instead, with a transfer at CLT) having direct (or non-stop) flights to and from PIT via our nearby international airport (JAX), only American Airlines has flights to and from HTS via JAX, with a transfer at CLT.

EDIT: Due to having to travel through Kentucky and along and over the Ohio River in order to get to and from Portsmouth (and Ohio) via HTS, we're out.

A.J. Bertin

I'm very interested in attending this. Right now I'd give myself at least an 80 percent chance of making it.
-A.J. from Michigan

jpi

Interested too, see how my toy show schedule plays out
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.