News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-10 Mobile River Bridge and Bayway

Started by MaxConcrete, August 08, 2019, 12:02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plutonic Panda

Looks like a good plan. $18 tolls for semis is a bit high but I'm glad they are keeping the Wallace tunnel option free and a fully controlled access corridor as I thought they were going remove that element.

They ought to at some point build a tolled non freeway bridge from Fort Morgan to Dauphin Island.

froggie

^ Such a bridge would be a minimum 4 miles long (after factoring in the beaches/parks in the way of the shortest route).  And you'd need either a very tall bridge or a tunnel to account for the shipping channel.  I've looked at that before but I just don't see it being viable for the relatively low level of traffic that would use it.  Nevermind that you'd either be dumping additional traffic onto Dauphin Island or would need to build additional bridges to get the traffic around.

rlb2024

Quote from: froggie on March 17, 2022, 04:48:52 PM
^ Such a bridge would be a minimum 4 miles long (after factoring in the beaches/parks in the way of the shortest route).  And you'd need either a very tall bridge or a tunnel to account for the shipping channel.  I've looked at that before but I just don't see it being viable for the relatively low level of traffic that would use it.  Nevermind that you'd either be dumping additional traffic onto Dauphin Island or would need to build additional bridges to get the traffic around.
Plus the lanes would need to be at least 30 feet in the air to be over the storm surge from hurricanes.  Similar to the I-10 bridge between New Orleans and Slidell or the US 90 bridges at Biloxi and Bay St. Louis in Mississippi, all of which had to be rebuilt and raised after Katrina.

Plutonic Panda

"Local leaders call for federal funding ahead of Causeway traffic study"

QuoteBALDWIN COUNTY, Ala. (WPMI) – A timetable for the Mobile River Bridge Project to start is undetermined, but state transportation officials along with local MPO's are committed to a framework that will include a free route, and that route starts with the Causeway.

Steps are now being taken to make sure the Causeway isn't overwhelmed with traffic when the time comes. Thursday, members of both the Mobile and Eastern Shore MPO's signed a letter requesting money for a detailed traffic study of the Causeway. That letter was sent to Congressman Jerry Carl.

Read more here: https://mynbc15.com/news/local/local-leaders-call-for-causeway-traffic-study-before-mobile-river-bridge-project-starts

codyg1985

A $2.50 toll seems cheap for that plan. At least the tolls would come off once the bonds and loans are paid off. Who knows when that would be though.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

asdfjkll

Quote from: codyg1985 on June 24, 2022, 06:24:25 PM
A $2.50 toll seems cheap for that plan. At least the tolls would come off once the bonds and loans are paid off. Who knows when that would be though.
Not to mention the unlimited usage pass for 40$ a month sounds great for the locals. Now they just need to make this "ALGO Pass" interoperable with the Sunpass, Peach Pass, and NC Quick Pass system, and probably try to get TxDOT and the Houston/Dallas tolling agencies on board on accepting the EZ Tag/TxTag/TollTag on the new Bayway as well

sprjus4

^ SunPass, PeachPass, and NC Quick Pass all are interoperable with E-ZPass, it should just incorporate into that.

TxTag, PikePass, and K-Tag (Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas) are also all interoperable, and arguably these two networks (the E-ZPass network and TX, OK, KS) need to all become interoperable.

vdeane

I'd go so far as to say that we shouldn't be allowing new toll tags to come into existence without full interoperability.  The national deadline came and went back in 2016, and we're still a long, long ways away from having it.  No need to make the problem worse.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

rte66man

https://mynbc15.com/news/local/toll-framework-approved-for-mobile-river-bridge-and-bayway-project

Toll framework approved for Mobile-River Bridge and Bayway Project

by Lisa LibrenjakWednesday, July 27th 2022

MOBILE, Ala. (WPMI) – A bridge connecting Mobile and Baldwin county is one step closer to becoming a reality.
Both Mobile and Eastern Shore Metropolitan Planning Organizations voted unanimously Wednesday to include the Mobile-River Bridge and Bayway project to their Transportation Improvement Plans. By doing this, the project is put in a better position to receive federal funding.

"Today is really a monumental day," City of Mobile Mayor Sandy Stimpson said.
A day that gives the Alabama Department of Transportation the OK to move forward with it's plan to build a nearly 8-mile bridge, giving drivers some ease when it comes to thinking about crossing the bay.

"People demanded for the bridge to be toll free, and while not all of it will not be toll free we have persevered many toll free routes. So if you don't want to pay the toll, you can take a toll free route," Eastern Shore MPO Chairman Jack Burrell said.

Maximum ALGO Pass toll rates are below:
-   Cars, pickups, motorcycles, SUVs, etc. (Vehicle height under 7.5 feet)
-   2 axles: $2.50
-   2 axles with 1 or 2 axle trailers: $5.00
-   2 axles with any 3 or more-axle trailer: $7.50
-   Buses, delivery trucks, 18-wheeler trucks, etc. (Vehicle height over 7.5 feet)
-   2 axles: $9
-   Each additional axle: +3
-   18-wheeler (5 axles): $18.00

Maximum non-ALGO Pass rates are below:
-   Cars, pickups, motorcycles, SUVs, etc. (Vehicle height under 7.5 feet)
-   ALGO rate + 1.50 per axle
-   Buses, delivery trucks, 18-wheeler trucks, etc. (Vehicle height over 7.5 feet)
-   ALGO rate + $2.75 per axle

There is also an unlimited use option for $40 per month which is under $1 per trip for daily commuters. The cost for the one-time purchase of that ALGO or unlimited pass hasn't been decided just yet.

"I have been told anywhere between $5 and $15, similar to what they use in Florida," South Alabama Regional Transportation Planning Director Tom Piper said.

The projects price tag is $2.7 billion dollars. At least $250 million is being fronted from the state for the project along with $125 million in federal funding through an INFRA grant.

"Over 80% of the people that were polled have stated that we need a solution and that we need solution now, not later," the Eastern Shore MPO Chairman said.

The Causeway, Wallace Tunnel, Bankhead Tunnel, and Africatown Bridge will continue to be free routes for people to travel on. Tolls will be lifted once debt from the project is paid off. The ALDOT estimates that will take about 40 years.
[\quote]
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

plain

I can see this working out. I'm sure most of the trucks using I-10 will use the new bridge (especially HAZMATs, who I'm sure would love to not have to detour to the Africatown Bridge anymore).

General traffic don't have to use it if they don't want to, like the article says (and like I suspected). This should be a win for everyone.
Newark born, Richmond bred

Plutonic Panda

Yeah $2.50 is pretty reasonable. It would be nice if they could start construction within the next year or two.

Great Lakes Roads

I am wondering if they are going to work with SunPass and/or EZ-Pass transponders to also get these people the lowest toll rates as well.

froggie

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on July 28, 2022, 04:09:44 PM
I am wondering if they are going to work with SunPass and/or EZ-Pass transponders to also get these people the lowest toll rates as well.

Given precedent elsewhere, I would suspect the following scenario:  say that they go with EZPass, where ALGO = Alabama-issued EZPass.  Those would get the discounted rate while non-Alabama EZPass would pay the regular rate.  And, as we've see in other jurisdictions, those who don't have an EZPass pay a higher rate above that.

Alex

Until the first shovel of dirt is turned, I'll believe it when I see it. 19 years and counting since I attended an ALDOT meeting on the Mobile Bay Bridge...

froggie

^ I recall attending a meeting 21 years ago...

vdeane

I am quite curious whether interoperability will be a thing with ALGO.  Maybe... since Florida joined last year and Georgia is supposed to join soon, being part of E-ZPass would be a good way to be interoperable with both with no additional agreements.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

codyg1985

Quote from: vdeane on July 29, 2022, 12:58:23 PM
I am quite curious whether interoperability will be a thing with ALGO.  Maybe... since Florida joined last year and Georgia is supposed to join soon, being part of E-ZPass would be a good way to be interoperable with both with no additional agreements.

I'm not only curious about working with other state toll networks (E-ZPass, SunPass, Peachpass) but also the existing transponder Freedom Pass for the other Alabama toll bridges.
Cody Goodman

rte66man

https://www.fox10tv.com/2022/08/16/standing-room-crowd-contractors-look-get-piece-27-billion-i-10-bridge-project/

Standing-room crowd of contractors looks to get piece of $2.7 billion I-10 bridge project
By Brendan Kirby
Published: Aug. 16, 2022 at 3:59 PM CDT|Updated: 16 hours ago

MOBILE, Ala. (WALA) - When state transportation officials award contracts for the most expensive project in Alabama history, they won't just pick the low bidders.

Instead, the Alabama Department of Transportation will evaluate a variety of factors to evaluate proposals for a $2.7 billion bridge and Bayway between Mobile and Baldwin County. On Tuesday, ALDOT hosted an industry forum for contractors, engineering design firms and consultants who might submit bids.

Edwin Perry, the Mobile River bridge project director for ALDOT, said he was pleased with he standing-room turnout at the GulfQuest National Maritime Museum of the Gulf of Mexico.

"It's more than what we expected,"  he said. "You know, originally, we were thinking around 200 (attendees). But I think we got close to 275 sign up for this event."

Perry told FOX10 News he expects as many as six teams to bid on each of the two phases — a 215-foot cable-stayed bridge over the Mobile River, and a six-lane Interstate 10 Bayway that will replace the current structure. The new Bayway structure will be an average of 10 to 11 feet higher than the current one.

Perry described a give-and-take process. ALDOT will lay out its requirements, and companies bidding on the project will offer their own design proposals. The state will work with the winning companies on pricing.

"We still feel like this is a highly attractive project that we'll be able to save money through the selected design contractor to be able to make this project happen,"  he said.

Fairhope City Council President Jack Burrell, the chairman of the Eastern Shore Metropolitan Planning Organization, said he is excited to see the project finally moving forward after roughly a quarter-century of delays and disagreements.

"Today, it feels like this project is finally is gonna happen,"  he said. "You know, reality is setting in. You know, we're not just sitting around talking about it. We're talking to the people who are actually going to perform the work and giving them the details."

Mobile-area political and business leaders never have doubted the need to add capacity to the Bayway and relieve bottlenecks that routinely snarl traffic at the Wallace Tunnel. But it has taken an entire generation to build consensus on a plan that satisfies competing commercial concerns along the waterfront and accounts for the mammoth cost.

Opposition to tolls derailed an ALDOT-sponsored plan in 2019, but the Eastern Shore MPO and its counterpart in Mobile voted last month to greenlight the current iteration of the plan. Officials still plan to rely on tolling — to the tune of more than $1 billion. But the Wallace Tunnel would remain toll-free and the rates would be lower for the Bayway and bridge — $2.50 per trip for passenger cars that have a transponder, and $40 a month for those who buy an ALGO pass. Burrell reiterated the commitment to keeping rates at those levels for the duration of the project and repealing them, altogether, once the state pays back the borrowed money.

"We put that in our framework,"  he said. "We said the max $2.50 toll is what we had to have. You can get that with the ALGO pass, or less if you buy a monthly pass. It could come out to about 87 cents a trip."

Several steps remain before construction, currently slated for the latter part of next year, can begin. And that means potential hurdles, as well. Burrell pointed to rising interest rates.

"Let's hope that they stay steady,"  he said. "So you know, barring some, you know, upheaval in the financial markets, I don't see anything really stopping it."

Perry said the state also must complete a tolling and revenue study to demonstrate that the levies will produce enough money to fill in the gaps left after state and federal funding.

"We think the project will be able to be financed through the tolls,"  he said. "We're also working with the grant programs that are available with the new infrastructure bill. And the more grants we're able to get through that will only mean we'll have to less rely on tolling."

-Yogi Berra

rte66man

Update on the project:

ALDOT plans to move forward with Mobile River Bridge and Bayway Project

By WALA Staff
Published: Dec. 5, 2022 at 1:12 PM CST|Updated: 18 hours ago

MOBILE, Ala. (WALA) - The Eastern Shore and Mobile Metropolitan Planning Organizations today announced that the Alabama Department of Transportation will move forward with the Mobile River Bridge and Bayway Project, prior to knowing the results of outstanding applications for federal Mega Grant and Bridge Investment Program funding.

In a memo sent to the chairs of the Eastern Shore and Mobile MPOs, ALDOT states:

"ALDOT is moving forward with this project, utilizing funds from the $125 million federal INFRA grant as well as a commitment of at least $250 million in State funding.

"ALDOT and the nationally recognized financial experts working on the project agree that this project is financially viable, regardless of the result of our outstanding applications (filed pursuant to your instructions) for Mega Grant and Bridge Investment Program funding.

"This stronger posture is made possible by improvements in projected traffic and revenue numbers for the project as initial estimates were refined. Further strengthening its financial viability are the recent changes in federal law and regulatory guidance which potentially allow for this project to qualify for higher TIFIA loan amounts."

A news release states that ALDOT will continue to pursue funding opportunities with the U.S. Department of Transportation but will not delay moving forward pending future grant awards.

"This is fantastic news,"  said Eastern Shore MPO chair and Fairhope City Council member Jack Burrell for the news release. "We are closer than ever before to the new bridge and Bayway that South Alabama desperately needs. This news, combined with the good progress in selecting the teams that will design and build the project, should be music to the ears of the thousands of drivers who are tired of sitting on the Bayway or in the tunnels."

"Today's announcement is a clear signal that the State of Alabama is serious about building this bridge,"  said Mobile MPO chair and Mayor of Mobile Sandy Stimpson for the release. "Ultimately, we are further along in this process than at any point before and have a clear path toward solving the worst bottleneck on the I-10 corridor."

The U.S. Department of Transportation Mega Grant program, in addition to the Bridge Investment Program, were created in the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act. The Mega grant program is a highly competitive, national program that includes $1 billion in federal funding that is expected to be allocated this year.

According to ALDOT, the design-build teams who have registered for the project will submit their statements of qualification by Dec. 21, a key milestone in the project's early phases.

Plan details include:

• A comprehensive plan with a new Mobile River Bridge and a new Bayway that meets capacity and safety needs and can be built in five years

• Free, no-toll routes on the Causeway, Wallace Tunnel, Bankhead Tunnel, and Africatown Bridge

• Toll options of $2.50 or less for passenger vehicles, and $18.00 or less for trucks

• An unlimited use option for $40 per month, which is under $1 per trip for daily commuters between Mobile and Baldwin Counties

• Toll revenue to be used only to pay down project debt, with tolling to end once the debt is paid off

• All infrastructure to be owned and operated by the State of Alabama, with no private concessionaire

• A contribution of at least $250 million in State funding, in addition to $125 million in federal funding through an INFRA Grant

-Yogi Berra

Plutonic Panda

That is a great deal! Glad to see the toll free routes being offered as well.

Voyager75

Quote from: rte66man on December 06, 2022, 09:33:28 AM
Update on the project:

ALDOT plans to move forward with Mobile River Bridge and Bayway Project

In a memo sent to the chairs of the Eastern Shore and Mobile MPOs, ALDOT

• Toll revenue to be used only to pay down project debt, with tolling to end once the debt is paid off

• All infrastructure to be owned and operated by the State of Alabama, with no private concessionaire

In other words, get that Foley Beach Express Bridge type nonsense out of the discussion!

codyg1985

I wonder what the timeframe will be to pay down the debt would be? Best-case scenario includes the state winning the infrastructure bill mega project funding and people using the bridge as projected, but worse-case would include not only the state NOT winning the infrastructure bill mega project funding, but people leaning towards the free routes more.

The optimist in me hopes that the tolls would be paid off in 25 years, but who knows for sure when it will happen.
Cody Goodman

codyg1985

Cody Goodman

Alex

Quote from: codyg1985 on March 01, 2023, 09:50:28 AM
Mega Grant goes to an I-10 project in Mississippi, not Alabama

QuoteThe U.S. Department of Transportation, in an announcement in January, awarded $60 million in Mega Grant funding for widening the interstate from four lanes to six west of Diamondhead, Mississippi.

--

But none of the Mega Grant funds are going toward the $2.7 billion I-10 Mobile River Bridge and Bayway project, despite hopes from state officials that the Mega Grant funds would support a project heavily leveraged with bonding.

Well $60 million for six lane expansion is a pittance considering the bridge plan is $2.7 billion. The headline is a bit misleading.

QuoteThe toll plan remains the same. It is expected cost $2.50 or less for passenger vehicle owners who purchase an ALGO Pass to take the newly built Bayway and Bridge over the Mobile River. An unlimited trip option will be available for $40.

So will this be like Maryland's E-ZPass plan that gives discounts only to in state account holders? $5.50 is pretty steep considering there is no toll at all on the current crossing.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.