News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on January 29, 2022, 10:57:57 AM
Quote from: webny99 on January 28, 2022, 08:12:35 PM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on January 28, 2022, 05:47:39 PM
I must go back and say I am not a fan of overtime in the first place.  Not saying I don't want to see it because there has to be a winner, just not a fan of the process to get there.

Let me explain.

There seems to be some muddy water in the thinking of how you reach overtime/extra innings.  Most people think "it was an equal played game and they were tied at the end" and some people say "That was an amazing comeback by Team X to tie Team Y".  This is the glorious version, or also known as revisionist history.  I instead say "What where you doing all game?" or "How can you blow that lead??"  It's the same way I feel about the current NFL parity.  Some think the games are ultra-competitive and make them very entertaining.  I say the games are close because they are played horribly on both sides.

I totally get what you're saying here.

I would say this: Everything in green is true of Bills-Chiefs. Everything in red is true of the 49ers-Cowboys game from the prior week.

In other words, the "glorious" version is a perfectly accurate description of a great game. It's not revisionist history at all to say that what happened at the end of the Bills-Chiefs game was incredible. Meanwhile, your version is accurate if incompetence is on display... which was definitely the case at times in the 49ers-Cowboys game. Now, those are two extreme examples. Most games are somewhere in between.

Perhaps best summarized by this tweet, which made perfect sense when it was posted (during 49ers-Cowboys) but would have made no sense at all if posted during Bills-Chiefs:

https://twitter.com/PabloTorre/status/1482880237713121280

I will agree with everything you said, except, the Bills/Chiefs game was punctuated by the worst defense played in the league in the last 40 years.  You could argue it was great offense, but I think it bas bad defense.  In my opinion, that fails to make it an "instant classic".  Even as a Cowboys fan I agree with your assessment of the 49ers/Cowboys game.  That whole game was hard to watch and if the Cowboys did somehow pull out a win I would have been disgusted because it was an awful game.
Crazy idea: it could have been both great offense and bad defense?

webny99

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 28, 2022, 11:08:23 PM
Quote from: webny99 on January 28, 2022, 10:44:23 PM
I actually like that idea. Or, if regulation ends on a scoring play, the team that's on defense automatically gets the ball first in OT. This would at least avoid the scenario where a team can score twice in a row to end the game. It would also prevent the defense from having to defend two drives in a row.

How is this different from a team kicking a successful onsides kick?

Because unlike a coin flip, an onside kick is an actual play that the players are responsible to execute. It's also usually done by a team that's trailing, not tied.

I just thought of a nightmare scenario that's even worse than what happened to the Bills... a team is down by two scores. They get a touchdown, successful onside kick recovery, another touchdown on the final play to force OT, get the ball first in OT, and score a touchdown to end the game. That would be 20 points without the other team touching the ball.

Quote from: cabiness42 on January 28, 2022, 11:10:44 PM
You actually sparked an idea that the team losing the coin toss in overtime might consider an onside kick, especially if the opponent has Mahomes/Brady/Rodgers/Allen

Another advantage would be that the defense wouldn't have to defend as long of a drive, so they might be more likely to get a stop/force a FG.

Big John

Tom Brady to retire, according to ESPN's Scheftler

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: webny99 on January 29, 2022, 12:22:15 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on January 28, 2022, 11:10:44 PM
You actually sparked an idea that the team losing the coin toss in overtime might consider an onside kick, especially if the opponent has Mahomes/Brady/Rodgers/Allen

Another advantage would be that the defense wouldn't have to defend as long of a drive, so they might be more likely to get a stop/force a FG.

Yeah, you're essentially conceding the FG, but you still have roughly the same opportunity to stop the TD plus the 10% chance of actually getting the ball.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

webny99

Quote from: Big John on January 29, 2022, 02:49:01 PM
Tom Brady to retire, according to ESPN's Scheftler

Wow! I sort of figured this might be it for Brady regardless of how this season ended. There wasn't a lot left for him to do after winning the Super Bowl last year. And even though he lost his final game, it was still a fairly good way to end it, coming back from down 27-3.

And to go out leading the league in passing yards and touchdowns at age 44... that might be among the most impressive accomplishments of his career.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 29, 2022, 03:35:54 PM
Noooo

Does it matter?  Brady doesn't play for your team anymore and they still name the playoffs.

NWI_Irish96

Until the NFL schedule changes again, Tom Brady will remain one of only two quarterbacks to lose a football game on my birthday.

thspfc

The NFL will never be the same.

I'm disappointed that he left at the top of his game because even as a huge Brady fan, it would have been funny to see him finally fall off the Kellerman Cliff after almost 10 years of his play not significantly declining.

Quote from: cabiness42 on January 29, 2022, 03:47:42 PM
Until the NFL schedule changes again, Tom Brady will remain one of only two quarterbacks to lose a football game on my birthday.
According to my forum profile, my birthday is October 19, 0007, which I believe was Brady's rookie year  :-D.

1995hoo

Brady's father is now saying the reports are incorrect.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hotdogPi

Quote from: thspfc on January 29, 2022, 04:59:12 PM
So the nature of the calendar singles out certain football season dates when few NFL games are played: September 14, September 21, September 28, October 5, October 12, October 19, October 26, November 2, November 9, November 16, November 23, November 30, December 7, December 14, December 21, December 28.

No, it doesn't. Calendars starting any day of the week are about equally likely. The calendar where those days are on Sunday is just in the middle of an 11-year gap right now (2014, 2025).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_year_starting_on_Wednesday
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

thspfc

Quote from: 1 on January 29, 2022, 05:16:19 PM
Quote from: thspfc on January 29, 2022, 04:59:12 PM
So the nature of the calendar singles out certain football season dates when few NFL games are played: September 14, September 21, September 28, October 5, October 12, October 19, October 26, November 2, November 9, November 16, November 23, November 30, December 7, December 14, December 21, December 28.

No, it doesn't. Calendars starting any day of the week are about equally likely. The calendar where those days are on Sunday is just in the middle of an 11-year gap right now (2014, 2025).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_year_starting_on_Wednesday
Ah. Looks like 2014 was the last time those days were Sundays?

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hotdogPi

Whereas in the MLB, the official rules say that you must retire every time you get out as a batter or runner.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

NWI_Irish96

Big John

Pulling a Favre on retirement?

webny99

Quote from: Big John on January 29, 2022, 05:59:35 PM

My guess is that he does intend to retire, but wants to announce it on his own time.

Although it would be classic Brady to come back and win another Super Bowl.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: webny99 on January 29, 2022, 06:25:18 PM
Quote from: Big John on January 29, 2022, 05:59:35 PM

My guess is that he does intend to retire, but wants to announce it on his own time.

Although it would be classic Brady to come back and win another Super Bowl.

That's my thought, too. The speed with which Schefter & co. broke the story, followed by the it-so-fast reply from Brady's camp indicate that someone was a little too quick to jump on the what would be/will be the biggest sports story of the year.

Max Rockatansky

So who had the Bengals in the Super Bowl?

jlam

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 30, 2022, 06:21:10 PM
So who had the Bengals in the Super Bowl?
Me, but against the Pack.

webny99

Oh boy. Overtime at Arrowhead for the 2nd week in a row. But this time, the defense does their job and gets an int. And the Bengals win!!!!!

I know the Bills defense didn't play well last week, but it sure would have been nice to get one quarter - or even 13 seconds! - of an out-of-sync Mahomes. An incredible job by the Bengals defense, as the Chiefs were on pace to score 42 points again and then got shut out in the 2nd half aside from the FG that forced OT.

webny99

Now I have to ask... who do you think choked worse, the Bills or the Chiefs?

Bills gave up a FG with 13 seconds left. Chiefs blew a 21-3 lead and passed up an easy FG that would have made it 24-10 before halftime.

(Edited incorrect halftime score)

NWI_Irish96

The Chiefs choke was far worse.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: webny99 on January 30, 2022, 06:27:13 PM

Bills gave up a FG with 13 seconds left. Chiefs blew a 21-3 lead and passed up an easy FG that would have made it 24-3 before halftime.

As the higher seed, it's automatically the Chiefs.

(Edited since I messed up forgetting they weren't the #1 seed)

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 30, 2022, 06:41:22 PM
Quote from: webny99 on January 30, 2022, 06:27:13 PM

Bills gave up a FG with 13 seconds left. Chiefs blew a 21-3 lead and passed up an easy FG that would have made it 24-3 before halftime.

As a number one seed, it's automatically the Chiefs.

Except that they weren't the #1 seed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.