News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

A question I have about the new schedule: with the shortened preseason, does that mean the Super Bowl will still be on the first Sunday in February? Or will it nonetheless be pushed back to the second Sunday of the month?

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: KCRoadFan on March 30, 2021, 06:03:29 PM
A question I have about the new schedule: with the shortened preseason, does that mean the Super Bowl will still be on the first Sunday in February? Or will it nonetheless be pushed back to the second Sunday of the month?

Regular season starts the same time, ends a week later, with each round of the playoffs a week later. Super Bowl now 2nd Sunday in February.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Big John

Quote from: cabiness42 on March 30, 2021, 06:16:00 PM
not this year but in future years, the second Sunday will be the day before President's day.

Regular season starts the same time, ends a week later, with each round of the playoffs a week later. Super Bowl now 2nd Sunday in February.

NWI_Irish96

One thing that will be interesting to see is how the movement of the Super Bowl from 1st to 2nd Sunday in February affects other sports.

MLB - Spring training generally begins around February 15 and there's no real reason to change anything
NHL - All-Star game is usually the last weekend in January.  I would think this gets moved back a week to avoid being the same weekend as the NFL conference championship games
NBA - All-Star game is usually the 2nd weekend in February and they pretty much have to move this.
NASCAR - Daytona 500 has to move off the 2nd weekend in February
Golf - Pebble Beach Pro-Am is traditionally the 2nd weekend in February, and as one of the oldest and most prestigious non-majors, I can see that tournament using its clout to try to move off that weekend.

CoreySamson

While the current 17-game seems like a great idea, I would've liked it to take a different direction. I would've liked to see a yearly AFC-NFC rivalry game sometime during the season. The problem is not all teams have a good rival in the opposite conference. Here's the best I could come up with for this proposition:

Houston vs. Dallas
LA Chargers vs. LA Rams
NY Jets vs. NY Giants
Baltimore vs. Washington
Pittsburgh vs. Philadelphia
Miami vs. Tampa Bay
Jacksonville vs. Atlanta
Tennessee vs. Carolina
Las Vegas vs. San Francisco
Denver vs. Seattle
Kansas City vs. Arizona
Cleveland vs. Detroit
Indianapolis vs. Chicago
Buffalo vs. Green Bay
Cincinnati vs. Minnesota (yeah this one sucks)
New England vs. New Orleans

The site would rotate every year between the two teams' stadiums. Every four years, the other game that the two teams would usually play would be hosted at a neutral site. I feel that this idea could boost attendance and revenue for certain games (HOU-DAL etc.), but as I said earlier I don't think it would work.

Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

NWI_Irish96

Two problems with that:

1) Once every 4 years you're regularly scheduled to play that team so you'd be playing them twice
2) Unfair for a team whose rival is a regular playoff/Super Bowl team.

Making those the permanent Week 3 preseason games isn't a bad idea, though.

CoreySamson

Quote from: cabiness42 on March 30, 2021, 07:37:47 PM
Two problems with that:

1) Once every 4 years you're regularly scheduled to play that team so you'd be playing them twice
Teams already play division rivals twice a year and nobody has a problem with that, so I don't see why it would be any different here (could be a problem with the CIN-MIN game, though!)

This already happens everywhere in today's NFL. The Lions have to play Green Bay every year, for example. Besides, teams gradually gain and lose their dominance over the years.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

webny99

Quote from: Big John on March 30, 2021, 06:57:26 PM

not this year but in future years, the second Sunday will be the day before President's day.

Fixed your quote for you. It will be interesting to see if President's Day becomes a more standard holiday as a result of this.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: webny99 on March 30, 2021, 08:09:06 PM
Quote from: Big John on March 30, 2021, 06:57:26 PM

Fixed your quote for you. It will be interesting to see if President's Day becomes a more standard holiday as a result of this.

Presidents Day is 3rd Monday so only when the 14th is a Sunday do you get the holiday the day after the Super Bowl.

Roadgeekteen

Two problems with that:

For point 2, teams can go from trash to great and vice versa in a blink of an eye, so that point isn't really concerning.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

The NFC North has a brutal schedule next year: AFC North and NFC West, plus their 17th game against the AFC West.

Bit of a change from the last two years, especially 2019, when the Packers were criticized as the worst 13-3 team ever because of their schedule.

Henry

I'm really not a fan of this 17-game season, but I'll still tune in on Sunday.

They've been playing 16 games for four and a half decades, and there's never been a problem with it that I know of. My thing is, why change it now?

Also, I wish they'd start the season a week earlier instead of ending it a week later. That way, the playoffs, Pro Bowl and Super Bowl can still be played in the appropriate weeks.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Henry on March 31, 2021, 11:17:22 AM
I'm really not a fan of this 17-game season, but I'll still tune in on Sunday.

They've been playing 16 games for four and a half decades, and there's never been a problem with it that I know of. My thing is, why change it now?

Also, I wish they'd start the season a week earlier instead of ending it a week later. That way, the playoffs, Pro Bowl and Super Bowl can still be played in the appropriate weeks.

"The appropriate weeks" have not been that way very long. As recently as 2003, the Super Bowl was still in January. In any event, the time between the Super Bowl and baseball opening day is the worst part of the sports calendar so I welcome having that time shortened by a week.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on March 31, 2021, 09:40:56 AM
The NFC North has a brutal schedule next year: AFC North and NFC West, plus their 17th game against the AFC West.

Bit of a change from the last two years, especially 2019, when the Packers were criticized as the worst 13-3 team ever because of their schedule.
The actual worst 13-3 team ever was the Saints that same year. Only 13-3 team to not make it to at least the divisional round. Packers made the NFC Championship.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on March 31, 2021, 05:53:43 PM
Quote from: webny99 on March 31, 2021, 09:40:56 AM
The actual worst 13-3 team ever was the Saints that same year. Only 13-3 team to not make it to at least the divisional round. Packers made the NFC Championship.

The Saints were worse in the playoffs, obviously, but the Packers were worse in the regular season. It was pure luck that they got the bye over the Saints.

Henry

As you probably know by now, Aaron Rodgers will host Jeopardy! for the next two weeks. He's already become a viral star via last night's Final Jeopardy! when a contestant asked "Who wanted to kick that field goal?" in reference to the controversial NFC Championship Game ending which caused the Packers to lose to Tampa Bay:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/jeopardy-contestant-pokes-fun-guest-032804310.html

In Rodgers' own words: "That is a great question! Should be correct, but unfortunately for this game today, it's incorrect." And in a twist of irony, the correct answer was Mr. Rogers, as in Fred from Mister Rogers' Neighborhood. BTW, the contestant who referenced the Packers wagered nothing. I may be a Bears fan, but I found that moment hilarious, and I think Rodgers is doing pretty good as host. It'll be interesting to see how he'll be able to juggle his two jobs (hosting the show and then QB for the Packers) if he should get it, but it sounds like he's very interested in it. However, there are many more people waiting in line for the gig, so nothing's being finalized.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Henry on April 06, 2021, 10:16:14 AM
As you probably know by now, Aaron Rodgers will host Jeopardy! for the next two weeks. He's already become a viral star via last night's Final Jeopardy! when a contestant asked "Who wanted to kick that field goal?" in reference to the controversial NFC Championship Game ending which caused the Packers to lose to Tampa Bay:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/jeopardy-contestant-pokes-fun-guest-032804310.html

In Rodgers' own words: "That is a great question! Should be correct, but unfortunately for this game today, it's incorrect." And in a twist of irony, the correct answer was Mr. Rogers, as in Fred from Mister Rogers' Neighborhood. BTW, the contestant who referenced the Packers wagered nothing. I may be a Bears fan, but I found that moment hilarious, and I think Rodgers is doing pretty good as host. It'll be interesting to see how he'll be able to juggle his two jobs (hosting the show and then QB for the Packers) if he should get it, but it sounds like he's very interested in it. However, there are many more people waiting in line for the gig, so nothing's being finalized.

He's better than Dr. Oz as a host, but not as good as Mike Richards or Ken Jennings.

webny99

In other NFL news, Sam Darnold has been traded to the Carolina Panthers for a 2021 sixth-round pick and 2022 second- and fourth-round picks. I wanted to see him on the Broncos, but Carolina is not a bad landing spot either.

You have to figure the 49ers trade and the Watson situation factored heavily in this. Now we're basically guaranteed 3 QB's in the first 3 picks, so the draft really starts with Atlanta at pick #4. Two of Jones/Fields/Lance will still be available at that point.

Alps

Quote from: webny99 on April 06, 2021, 11:54:38 AM
In other NFL news, Sam Darnold has been traded to the Carolina Panthers for a 2021 sixth-round pick and 2022 second- and fourth-round picks. I wanted to see him on the Broncos, but Carolina is not a bad landing spot either.

You have to figure the 49ers trade and the Watson situation factored heavily in this. Now we're basically guaranteed 3 QB's in the first 3 picks, so the draft really starts with Atlanta at pick #4. Two of Jones/Fields/Lance will still be available at that point.
We're guaranteed that QB1 and QB3 will be more successful than QB2.

texaskdog

Two problems with that:

It's great for ratings and for a league built on rivalries. The 4 year rotation is really not all that fair either.

snowc

Quote from: webny99 on March 30, 2021, 10:26:43 AM
Bills Stadium, formerly Ralph Wilson Stadium for much of this century and then New Era Field from 2016-19, is now Highmark Stadium.

I don't love it, but joked, "it's the high mark of the new era at the Ralph"  :-P
For people who don't know what Highmark is, it's a PBM (pharmacy benefits management) located in Pittsburgh, with offices in Buffalo.

snowc

Quote from: Henry on April 06, 2021, 10:16:14 AM

Thanks. I hate it.
Especially the HAIL MURRAY!
:rofl:

webny99

With the NFL draft coming up tomorrow, who's got predictions?

Here's a bold one: 7 QB's will come off the board in the first round.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on April 28, 2021, 06:54:35 PM

HOT TAKE Jacksonville with draft Trevor Lawrence 1st overall.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

OCGuy81

Quote from: webny99 on April 28, 2021, 06:54:35 PM

That's quite a bit, but anything is possible.

I heard that it's a pretty decent receiver class this year.  It's interesting because there was such a clusterf*#ck of a college football season, and a lot of these players might not have proven themselves as much as draftees in years past.

I'm curious what the Niners end up doing.  They did quite a bit to trade up to number 3, and if I recall correctly, Jimmy G's future isn't certain.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.