News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmacswimmer

Cincinnati/Baltimore would have been a good candidate for SNF if the Bengals lose tonight, but I presume the NFL couldn't wait any longer to finalize next week's schedule and didn't want to risk the Bengals having the AFC North clinched already should they win tonight. I wonder if it would have been the SNF game had the Ravens won last night.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

ilpt4u

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on January 02, 2023, 05:34:05 PM
Is it me, or is the NFL flexing more games this year?
They'll Flex more next season, as Late Season MNF also has Flex capabilities, in addition to Sunday Afternoons and SNF, beginning next season

jeffandnicole

They've always had the option, especially for the Sunday night game. For the last week of the season this year, I think they purposely didn't schedule any game times since they wind up moving so many around.

gonealookin

Quote from: ilpt4u on January 02, 2023, 06:34:48 PM
They'll Flex more next season, as Late Season MNF also has Flex capabilities, in addition to Sunday Afternoons and SNF, beginning next season

Where do we stand on the cross-flexing between Fox and CBS for the afternoon games; is it to the point that the visiting team Fox/NFC and CBS/AFC relationships won't really exist going forward?  There has certainly been more cross-flexing this year, e.g. Vikings @ Packers as the featured Nantz/Romo game yesterday.

NWI_Irish96

Bills DB Damar Hamlin collapsed on the field after a play. CPR was administered for several minutes. Game is suspended temporarily at least. No official word but it doesn't sound like they got him back.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

gonealookin

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on January 02, 2023, 09:28:27 PM
Bills DB Damar Hamlin collapsed on the field after a play. CPR was administered for several minutes. Game is suspended temporarily at least. No official word but it doesn't sound like they got him back.

Just a terrible situation.  Please, send everybody home now, and when there's more certainty tomorrow they can figure out how to proceed.

Ted$8roadFan

Thankfully, they're suspending this game. People are exiting.

KeithE4Phx

Per Joe and Troy before they signed off:  Hamlin is in critical condition at the University of Cincinnati hospital.  He's alive and that's all that matters right now.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

JayhawkCO

Whoever originally told the teams that they were going to restart the game in 5 minutes should be castrated with a broken beer bottle.

webny99

This is just a sickening situation. I've never seen anything like it, or such an outpouring on social media and elsewhere, including from all 31 other teams. Praying for Damar and hope he's OK above all else.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 02, 2023, 10:28:37 PM
Whoever originally told the teams that they were going to restart the game in 5 minutes should be castrated with a broken beer bottle.

Same with the person(s) at Disney and/or the Commissioner's Office that allowed ESPN to burn through an entire game's worth of banal ads in about an hour.  Given the circumstances, that was totally inappropriate.  All advertising should have been canceled and the clients' money refunded.  :angry:
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

thspfc

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 02, 2023, 10:28:37 PM
I believe that the 5 minutes is standard NFL procedure following a stoppage of play. It didn't necessarily come from the league office or the officials. Obviously that policy failed to account for this type of situation, and the game was rightfully postponed.

We know how awful this situation is for Hamlin and his family, and additionally my thoughts are with all other players from all 32 teams. These guys have spent their entire lives working for this opportunity, and one can imagine that this is a heavy reality check for them. Putting the pads back on, in any timeframe, after seeing this must be so difficult.

Nobody cares about who your favorite team is right now (or ever actually). "(insert team that is not the Bills) fan here, I'm praying for Damar Hamlin"  is a statement I have already seen way too much of. This is much deeper than that.

gonealookin

Quote from: webny99 on January 02, 2023, 10:39:15 PM
This is just a sickening situation. I've never seen anything like it...

One comparable situation I recall was when Larry Dierker was managing the Houston Astros.  He collapsed in the dugout during a game, suffering a grand mal seizure.  The game was suspended.

QuoteIn the eighth inning, with Houston still leading 4-1, San Diego reliever Trevor Hoffman had thrown one pitch to Jeff Bagwell when Houston manager Larry Dierker suffered a grand mal seizure in the dugout. Medical personnel treated Dierker for more than 20 minutes before he was taken to Methodist Hospital. The seizure was caused by a tangle of blood vessels in his brain that had ruptured. Dierker had brain surgery and missed the next 27 games.

Bagwell described what happened: "I was getting ready to step in, and the umpire said, "˜Hold on,' I looked around, and everybody was running to the dugout. Larry had collapsed. He couldn't talk. He was shaking violently. He was shaking the whole time. It was shocking. We're all stunned."

Astros owner Drayton McLane Jr. talked with San Diego owner John Moores about how to resolve the unfinished game. They agreed to suspend the game until San Diego's next trip to Houston. McLane said, "For the San Diego players as well as our players, their heart just wasn't into finishing this game, and the umpires felt the same way."

It became clear later that day than Dierker would survive, and the Astros played their home game the next day.  One hopes that by tommorow morning we have some similar news.  As a practical issue I assume the Bills are staying in Cincinnati tonight, and if there's good news the game might be played tomorrow or Wednesday.**

The worse outcome was when Hank Gathers was playing basketball for Loyola Marymount, and collapsed on the court during a conference tournament game and died almost immediately.  LMU was awarded the conference championship and actually went on and played very well in the NCAA tournament in Hank's honor and memory.

**Edit since we have a different answer on the strikeout part.  Obviously I understand whatever decision the team and the man's teammates individually come to.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1610145933936787457

webny99

What an amazing job here by Ryan Clark in a really tough situation.

https://twitter.com/TommySledge/status/1610115264216973312

thspfc

https://youtube.com/watch?v=H-G9mziXL9w

This guy who is a credible doctor says that this is "almost certainly"  something called commotio cordis, which is extremely rare. Obviously the rarity of the situation does nothing to make it less tragic.

mgk920

Next Sunday's Detroit @ Green Bay game was always shown as TBD for start time on the Packers' season schedule.

Mike

jeffandnicole

Quote from: mgk920 on January 02, 2023, 11:49:56 PM

Next Sunday's Detroit @ Green Bay game was always shown as TBD for start time on the Packers' season schedule.

Mike

All games were shown like this. There was no schedule other than who was playing who and where.

jakeroot

I've largely avoided this thread as, being a Dolphins fan, I'm not really interested in melting down publicly.

But, under the circumstances, I gotta at least come out and say just how much I'm hoping for a full recovery for Hamlin. Injuries of all kinds are scary, but this simply another level. He's still young and has so much potential in his career. I've never seen anything like this; short of dying and spinal cord injuries, this is about as scary as it gets.

I have mad respect for NFL players, putting themselves out there every week, risking constant, potentially debilitating injury. It's scary as hell just thinking about, but another thing to actually witness, never mind experience. But realistically, I also hate how intrinsic injuries are to American Football. How impactful injuries can be (pun completely intended) almost ruins the entire sport for me.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: gonealookin on January 02, 2023, 11:01:50 PM
  One hopes that by tommorow morning we have some similar news.  As a practical issue I assume the Bills are staying in Cincinnati tonight, and if there's good news the game might be played tomorrow or Wednesday.**

Completely unimportant under the circumstances, but noting that teams almost always return home after a road game, even a night one. The Bills didn't have hotel rooms for Monday night, so they pretty much had to fly home. A few guys could get rooms on their own, but not the whole team.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

1995hoo

Quote from: gonealookin on January 02, 2023, 11:01:50 PM
Quote from: webny99 on January 02, 2023, 10:39:15 PM
This is just a sickening situation. I've never seen anything like it...

One comparable situation I recall was when Larry Dierker was managing the Houston Astros.  He collapsed in the dugout during a game, suffering a grand mal seizure.  The game was suspended.

The NHL has had three incidents since 2001 of players going into cardiac arrest on the bench during a game; in all three cases, the games were suspended. (The games in which Clint Malarchuk's and Richard Zednik's necks were sliced open by skate blades were not suspended.) I remember watching an NHL game on TV in which the Thrashers' goalie, Ondrej Pavelec, collapsed unconscious on the ice against the Capitals; that game likewise resumed after some delay waiting for a second ambulance to come replace the one in which he was taken away.

The closest thing I'd seen to last night was a college football game between UVA and UNC in Chapel Hill in 1997 during which ACC referee Jim Knight suffered a massive heart attack and collapsed on the field right as UNC was about to run a play. The UVA defense saw it happened and jumped out of their stances, initially prompting a couple of UNC players to want a flag thrown until they realized what had happened. I suppose Mr. Knight was mildly "lucky" (such as it was) in that the UNC hospital was a stone's throw from the stadium.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

hobsini2

Just a tragic event all around. Not only for Demar Hamlin and his family, my love and prayers going out to them, but think about the psychological trauma Tee Higgins may be going through as well knowing that his hit caused the cardiac arrest. My prayers go out to Tee as well. Given the circumstances, I thought the coaches, trainers and medical personal did a great job of handling the situation.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

roadman65

Has anyone heard the latest?  Did they find the cause?

24 year old people don't just go into cardiac arrest.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: roadman65 on January 03, 2023, 09:56:03 AM
Has anyone heard the latest?  Did they find the cause?

24 year old people don't just go into cardiac arrest.

So far, no new news, just a lot of speculation.

roadman65

That's the worst as people do panic.

I'm sure they need to run thorough tests to be sure, as I'm sure it's a mystery to doctors as well.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.