News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayhawkCO

Quote from: thspfc on September 07, 2023, 03:29:53 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 07, 2023, 03:03:28 PM
So if we're increasing the points you get for forking a team in the preseason, then I have to get riskier with the higher payoff.

I'll take Arizona, Carolina, Green Bay, and Tampa Bay in the NFC.
I'll take Cleveland, Houston, Indianapolis, Las Vegas, and New England in the AFC.
Noted, I'll make the list later. I'm adding the Patriots and Steelers to mine.

Just decided to tack the Broncos on too. You know I'm still not a Wilson believer.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: webny99 on September 07, 2023, 02:21:04 PM
I would support having the -30 points replace the points earned from the fork. This creates a better balance IMO, with higher upside and downside for forking early.

I don't have strong feelings on the point values, but would not be opposed to smoothing out last year's tiers, either using thespfc's suggestion in increments of 3 points, or in increments of 5 points as follows:

Preseason: 25
Wks 1-4: 20
Wks 5-8: 15
Wks 9-12: 10
Wks 13-16: 5

If this is the new scoring system I will stick with my original fork l ist.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

thspfc

Cordarrelle Patterson is designated as a "joker"  on the Falcons depth chart which is hilarious.

Hunty2022

The Lions beat the Chiefs for the first game of the 2023-24 season.

The score was 21-20.  :spin:
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

Big John

Lions 21, Chiefs 20, Toney 0

Max Rockatansky

Definitely didn't expect the Lions to walk into Kansas City and go toe to toe with Chiefs.  That certainly makes me optimistic (I'm a Lions fan) that the end of last season wasn't a fluke.

jakeroot

That was one sloppy game. But well done, Lions. Never been a big Mahomes fan, happy to see him knocked down a peg!

Ted$8roadFan

Not entirely surprised by the Lions' victory. The Chiefs need Travis Kelce back, stat.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: jakeroot on September 08, 2023, 12:42:31 AM
That was one sloppy game. But well done, Lions. Never been a big Mahomes fan, happy to see him knocked down a peg!

Just out of curiosity, why not a Mahomes fan? Seems like a good dude from all reports.

webny99

Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 07, 2023, 03:44:30 PM
Quote from: thspfc on September 07, 2023, 03:29:53 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 07, 2023, 03:03:28 PM
So if we're increasing the points you get for forking a team in the preseason, then I have to get riskier with the higher payoff.

I'll take Arizona, Carolina, Green Bay, and Tampa Bay in the NFC.
I'll take Cleveland, Houston, Indianapolis, Las Vegas, and New England in the AFC.
Noted, I'll make the list later. I'm adding the Patriots and Steelers to mine.

Just decided to tack the Broncos on too. You know I'm still not a Wilson believer.

I don't believe in Wilson either (at least not that he will return to peak Seattle form), but the upside case for the Broncos is that they can still make the playoffs even if he's mediocre.

Also, since I stated what teams I would fork earlier but wasn't conclusive on all of them, my official preseason list is: Colts, Texans, Titans, Bucs, Panthers, Rams, and Cardinals. (I considered the Bears and Raiders, but keeping both alive for now, and I'm not touching the AFC North or either East division yet.)

Henry

Quote from: Hunty2022 on September 07, 2023, 11:27:54 PM
The Lions beat the Chiefs for the first game of the 2023-24 season.

The score was 21-20.  :spin:
You know it's going to be an interesting season when a notorious loser hands the defending Super Bowl champion a loss in their first game.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jakeroot

Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 08, 2023, 09:06:23 AM

Just out of curiosity, why not a Mahomes fan? Seems like a good dude from all reports.

I took a day to think about this, but you're right. He is a good dude.

My point was just that, it's nice when someone who is on top of the world, fresh off a championship, comes into week 1 and loses. Puts the game back into perspective, reminds them that nothing is a given, and the best team always wins.

thspfc

Quote from: jakeroot on September 09, 2023, 06:14:51 PM

My point was just that, it's nice when someone who is on top of the world, fresh of a championship, comes into week 1 and loses. Puts the game back into perspective, reminds them that nothing is a given, and the best team always wins.
As if he's never lost a game before? I think getting blown out in the Super Bowl, losing two AFC title games at home, and losing 66-10 to Iowa State in college will teach you that nothing's given. Frustrating loss, yes, but reality check, no, he didn't need one.

jakeroot

Quote from: thspfc on September 09, 2023, 11:02:22 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on September 09, 2023, 06:14:51 PM

My point was just that, it's nice when someone who is on top of the world, fresh off a championship, comes into week 1 and loses. Puts the game back into perspective, reminds them that nothing is a given, and the best team always wins.

As if he's never lost a game before? I think getting blown out in the Super Bowl, losing two AFC title games at home, and losing 66-10 to Iowa State in college will teach you that nothing's given. Frustrating loss, yes, but reality check, no, he didn't need one.

I understand that, of course he has lost games before. But few predicted a Chiefs loss in week 1. Even without Kelce or Jones, they were favored over the Lions, by quite a lot. Plus, they were at home, in the loudest stadium in the NFL. Shit, even I would have predicted a Chiefs win. Even after the game, some were throwing around it being an "asterisk" given the absence of Kelce and Jones. As though there is simply no way the Lions could have won over a fully-active roster. Comes back to my point: nothing is a given. And despite the odds, the underdog won it. Good for them. Onto week 2 (for them...)

JayhawkCO

I know no one cares about anyone else's fantasy teams, but I'm still coming here to vent. I'm in four leagues, and in all four, I'm probably without my "expensive" tight end for week 1. One league I had Kelce, two leagues I have Mark Andrews, and another I have Darren Waller (who is still questionable, but I picked up Bellinger just in case). That's really annoying and specific to one position.

thspfc

Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 10, 2023, 10:04:11 AM
I know no one cares about anyone else's fantasy teams, but I'm still coming here to vent. I'm in four leagues, and in all four, I'm probably without my "expensive" tight end for week 1. One league I had Kelce, two leagues I have Mark Andrews, and another I have Darren Waller (who is still questionable, but I picked up Bellinger just in case). That's really annoying and specific to one position.
I'm down Kupp and Andrews. It would've been nice to know the severity of Kupp's injury before I took him in the first round. Andrews was my 3rd rounder.

Great Lakes Roads

The Bears suck whenever they play against the Packers... currently 38-20.

epzik8

My team ended up being one of my few correct predictions to win TNF and today's early slate combined...
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Big John

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on September 10, 2023, 06:58:42 PM
The Bears suck whenever they play against the Packers... currently 38-20.
Did Rodgers sign over his Bears ownership papers over to Love? :hmmm:

thspfc

I appreciated the trip down memory lane from the Broncos. That same game happened like 7 times last year. 8th time in 18 games that they've scored either 16 or 9 points. Quite a bizarre one though, the two teams totaled just 3 punts on only 13 combined drives. Denver played just fine aside from kicking woes and a Hackett-esqe 3 & out in the 4th quarter, which ended up being their last chance as the Raiders sealed it with a 5-minute close-out drive. At this point I've made every excuse in the book for this team but that wasn't as bad of an offensive performance as 16 points indicates.

Team that had the worst record in the league didn't fix all their issues in one offseason, color me shocked. Love was excellent.

Perhaps the Rams put the league on notice again, massacring Seattle without Kupp. Undoubtebly the best performance of any team in week 1 (yes, better than the Lions beating the Chiefs who were down 2 of their 3 best players by a point, in part because Kadarius Toney forgot how to catch a football).

Here's our table . . .

jlam
Cardinals (25)
Colts (25)
Buccaneers (25)
Texans (25)
Raiders (25)
Panthers (25)
Bears (25)
Packers (25)
Broncos (20)
Jets (20)
Patriots (20)
Giants (20)
Vikings (15)
Rams (15)
Steelers (15)
Commanders (15)
Titans (10)
Bengals (10)
Total: 360

webny99
Rams (25)
Cardinals (25)
Colts (25)
Titans (25)
Texans (25)
Bucs (25)
Panthers (25)
Bears (20)
Raiders (20)
Steelers (20)
Patriots (20)
Giants (20)
Packers (15)
Bills (10)
Jets (10)
Commanders (10)
Bengals (10)
Falcons (10)
Total: 340

thspfc
Texans (25)
Colts (25)
Raiders (25)
Commanders (25)
Bears (25)
Falcons (25)
Buccaneers (25)
Cardinals (25)
Giants (25)
Patriots (25)
Steelers (25)
Broncos (20)
Panthers (20)
Jets (20)
Vikings (20)
Packers (15)
Titans (15)
Chargers (10)
Total: 395

Henry
Bears (25)
Broncos (25)
Browns (25)
Buccaneers (25)
Cardinals (25)
Colts (25)
Commanders (25)
Cowboys (25)
Falcons (25)
Jets (25)
Panthers (25)
Patriots (25)
Raiders (25)
Rams (25)
Ravens (25)
Texans (25)
Total: 400

defending champion NWI_Irish96
Patriots (25)
Colts (25)
Texans (25)
Raiders (25)
Commanders (25)
Packers (25)
Bucs (25)
Cardinals (25)
Bears (20)
Broncos (20)
Panthers (20)
Giants (20)
Titans (10)
Jets (10)
Rams (10)
Chargers (10)
Bengals (5)
Falcons (5)
Vikings (5)
Total: 340

jayhawkco
Cardinals (25)
Packers (25)
Panthers (25)
Buccaneers (25)
Texans (25)
Browns (25)
Broncos (25)
Colts (25)
Raiders (25)
Patriots (25)
Jets (20)
Giants (20)
Bears (20)
Vikings (20)
Bengals (20)
Steelers (20)
Commanders (15)
Total: 365

Hunty2022
Bears (25)
Bucs (25)
Cardinals (25)
Colts (25)
Packers (25)
Texans (25)
Broncos (20)
Jets (20)
Panthers (15)
Giants (15)
Patriots (10)
Rams (10)
Titans (10)
Bills (10)
Bengals (10)
Commanders (10)
Chargers (5)
Total: 285

And the point values:

Preseason: 25
Wks 1-4: 20
Wks 5-8: 15
Wks 9-12: 10
Wks 13-16: 5
For an incorrect fork, the initial points are subtracted and replaced by a -30.

Great Lakes Roads

NYG got beat pretty badly... 40-0 against the Dallas Cowboys...  :-/

Hunty2022

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on September 10, 2023, 11:20:29 PM
NYG got beat pretty badly... 40-0 against the Dallas Cowboys...  :-/

My two favorite teams in the NFL.. either Dallas is a monster now, or NYG is just total garbage now...
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

Ted$8roadFan

The New England Patriots hosted a ceremony to honor Tom Brady and to announce he will be inducted into the Patriots Hall of Fame on June 12, 2024, for reasons that are known to Pats fans. Unfortunately, he was unavailable to play and his appearance did not rub off on the team, as the Pats lost to the Philadelphia Eagles, 20-25..

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on September 11, 2023, 06:16:23 AM
The New England Patriots hosted a ceremony to honor Tom Brady and to announce he will be inducted into the Patriots Hall of Fame on June 12, 2024, for reasons that are known to Pats fans. Unfortunately, he was unavailable to play and his appearance did not rub off on the team, as the Pats lost to the Philadelphia Eagles, 20-25..

He was in the owner's suite throughout the evening, which the broadcast made everyone well aware of.  After the Pats' first TD, they quickly switched the camera view up to Brady and the others in the suite to watch them celebrate, completely ignoring the players celebrating their TD on the field.

The Ghostbuster

Let's see how Aaron Rodgers and the New York Jets do in their season opener against the Buffalo Bills. This is the game I was most looking forward to after the Packers/Bears game.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.