AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Poll

Which enhanced mile marker color do you prefer?

Green (most used color)
- 40 (63.5%)
Blue (used by IN, KS, KY, OH, TN and WI)
- 20 (31.7%)
White (used by CA and NV)
- 3 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Author Topic: Enhanced Mile Markers  (Read 25511 times)

SkyPesos

• I-80E to NYC, not Clarion, Dubois, Bloomsburg, etc

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:49:30 PM
Re: Enhanced Mile Markers
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2020, 11:35:00 PM »

North Carolina is pretty inconsistent, but new construction projects are becoming more consistent.

All freeways
Urban areas only
Green
I have seen both .1 and .5 interval, never .2
no .0 for whole numbers that i have seen
usually right shoulder

there is one stretch of freeway on US 74 east of downtown Charlotte thats unique. it has the route number as “US-74”  with the direction underneath, and its every .1 interval. However, there is a two-lane bus lane in the median, and the mile markers are posted on the eastbound side of the bus lane, so it is very difficult to see the mile markers from the westbound lanes. Also im pretty sure one of these is mounted backwards, so the eastbound side sees a west direction banner and visa-versa.
Meanwhile, here's an example of 2 poles being used for mile markers (one for each direction) when it's not needed

SkyPesos

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2021, 01:10:15 PM »

Thought this topic is worth bumping the thread. Here's one of the proposed MUTCD changes regarding enhanced mile markers:
* Proposed requirement to have all enhanced mile markers be green
The following 6 states are the only ones I know of that mainly uses blue enhanced mile markers currently:
- Indiana
- Kansas
- Kentucky
- Ohio
- Tennessee
- Wisconsin

If the proposed MUTCD change of making enhanced mile markers green only, which of those states would you expect to do a mass replacement program of their mile markers just to change the color? I know Ohio most likely wouldn't, as they're currently replacing a lot of the older narrower mile markers with only a cardinal direction abbreviation and no 'mile' word with newer, wider ones that have both (examples of both in the op). They would probably hold out even longer than the dancing arrows change from 2009.

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:41:17 PM
    • Flickr account
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2021, 01:14:16 PM »

The MUTCD says that signals that say WALK/DON'T WALK can remain until replaced. Maybe the same could happen with mile marker colors?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

JoePCool14

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 09:54:48 PM
    • My TravelMapping stats
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2021, 09:01:00 PM »

Illinois

The entire Tollway System (albeit at every quarter mile).
Bloomington-Normal
Metro East

Interestingly, Chicagoland does not have them except on the tollways.  There are mile markers at various intervals on light posts, but they are not enhanced.
IDOT just doesn't seem to find them important. Even in rural areas of the state, they're spotty.

ISTHA on the other hand, I quite like their design. The newer FHWA font ones are great.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 55+ Clinches | 225+ Traveled | 7000+ Miles Logged

SkyPesos

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2021, 09:31:29 PM »

IDOT just doesn't seem to find them important. Even in rural areas of the state, they're spotty.
A lot of states seem to skimp on it in rural areas. Like Ohio is pretty good with enhanced markers in large urban areas, but only use the standard green full mile markers in rural areas. Same with Kentucky and Indiana, except Indiana use 0.5 mile (standard) markers in rural areas, which is a bit better.

With the rural areas question, I think Wisconsin have my preferred setup of the enhanced mile markers. Pretty much like what Ohio does (yes, I prefer blue over green, and median over right side) in addition to them existing in intervals of 0.2 in rural stretches of freeways.

Then there's Pennsylvania on the other end of the spectrum, with 0.1 mile markers on the turnpike throughout the state.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 09:37:39 PM by SkyPesos »

Scott5114

• Nit picker of unprecedented pedantry

• Last Login: Today at 02:08:14 AM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2021, 09:36:14 PM »

Thought this topic is worth bumping the thread. Here's one of the proposed MUTCD changes regarding enhanced mile markers:
* Proposed requirement to have all enhanced mile markers be green
The following 6 states are the only ones I know of that mainly uses blue enhanced mile markers currently:
- Indiana
- Kansas
- Kentucky
- Ohio
- Tennessee
- Wisconsin

If the proposed MUTCD change of making enhanced mile markers green only, which of those states would you expect to do a mass replacement program of their mile markers just to change the color? I know Ohio most likely wouldn't, as they're currently replacing a lot of the older narrower mile markers with only a cardinal direction abbreviation and no 'mile' word with newer, wider ones that have both (examples of both in the op). They would probably hold out even longer than the dancing arrows change from 2009.

I imagine Kansas would be out there doing it the day it passes.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SkyPesos

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2021, 09:55:11 PM »

I did a bit more searching on this topic, and here's what I found out with whether a state uses enhanced mile markers or not, at least in urban areas, and which color and interval:

Blue enhanced mile markers:
- Indiana (0.1 or 0.2)
- Kansas (0.2)
- Kentucky (0.1 or 0.2)
- Ohio (0.1 or 0.2)
- Tennessee (0.2)
- Wisconsin (0.2)

Green enhanced mile markers:
- Connecticut (0.2)
- Florida (0.2)
- Georgia (0.2)
- Illinois (0.2 or 0.25)
- Iowa (0.2)
- Louisiana (0.2)
- Massachusetts (0.2)
- Michigan (0.2)
- Minnesota (0.1)
- Mississippi (0.2)
- Missouri (0.2)
- Nebraska (0.1)
- Nevada (1)
- New Hampshire (0.2)
- New Jersey (0.1 or 0.2)
- New Mexico (1)
- New York (0.1 or 0.2)
- North Carolina (0.1, 0.2 or 0.5)
- Oklahoma (0.5)
- Oregon (0.5, limited use)
- Pennsylvania (0.1)
- Rhode Island (0.2)
- Utah (0.1, limited use)

Some form of fractional or decimal mile markers:
- Colorado (0.1 or 0.2)
- Delaware (0.5)
- Maryland (0.5)
- Vermont (0.2)
- West Virginia (0.2)

Standard integer mile markers only:
- Alabama
- Alaska
- Arizona
- Arkansas
- California (uses white county-based Postmile markers)
- Hawaii
- Idaho
- Maine
- North Dakota
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- Texas
- Virginia
- Washington
- Wyoming

I'm kind of surprised about some of the states that don't use enhanced mile markers, or at least subdivide their mile markers, like CA, TX, VA or WA, as well as OR and UT outside of one freeway each. They have some large cities that could probably benefit from 0.1 or 0.2 mile markers for roadside assistance.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 08:43:10 PM by SkyPesos »

ran4sh

• US 30 - one of my most traveled US routes

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:43:25 PM
    • YouTube - mostly my Cities:Skylines live streams
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2021, 09:59:17 AM »

I don't think you can easily say that a certain state uses enhanced mile markers at a specified interval throughout the state.

At least in Georgia, the "0.2" mile enhanced MMs are only used in urban areas, if rural areas have enhanced MM then they are spaced at 0.5 mile intervals. I imagine there are other states that do it similarly.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

SkyPesos

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2021, 10:26:52 AM »

I don't think you can easily say that a certain state uses enhanced mile markers at a specified interval throughout the state.

At least in Georgia, the "0.2" mile enhanced MMs are only used in urban areas, if rural areas have enhanced MM then they are spaced at 0.5 mile intervals. I imagine there are other states that do it similarly.
I went with urban areas by default on the list above, probably should’ve specified that. Like Ohio doesn’t use enhanced mile markers at all in rural areas (only the generic whole mile ones), while in urban areas, they go with 0.2 intervals, with the exception of 0.1 intervals in Cincinnati. There’s most likely a lot of other states that use them in urban areas, but not rural.

ran4sh

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2021, 11:25:23 AM »

Well there's still a difference between a regular whole mile marker (it reads simply "Mile XXX") and an enhanced whole mile marker (the ones with the route shield and direction, and "Mile XXX"), and some states use the enhanced in rural areas even if they don't use any decimal/fractional mile points.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline

vdeane

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:10:05 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2021, 12:49:19 PM »

Plus some states use enhanced for full miles but regular for the tenths - that's what the newer installs in NY around Syracuse on I-81 and Albany on I-87 use (meanwhile, the newer markers on NY 33 around Buffalo use enhanced markers for everything, so it varies by region as usual).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ethanhopkin14

• Last Login: November 20, 2023, 08:50:23 AM
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2021, 01:03:54 PM »

I kinda like the fact that the desert southwest states don't use enhanced mile markers (although in reality, they could benefit more from them seeing how things are so remote you really need to know exactly, down to the tenth of a mile, where you are).  I think it kinda goes hand in hand with the country.  Enhanced mile markers east of the Mississippi, where most of the population is.  More information = more people.  The less populated states don't have enhanced mile markers.  Less information = less people.  Not saying that's a rule, it's just what it makes me think of.  Of course that's not that steadfast a rule.  California with more people than any other state has not statewide based mile markers at all. 

CtrlAltDel

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:41:10 PM
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2021, 02:45:01 PM »

I did a bit more searching on this topic, and here's what I found out with whether a state uses enhanced mile markers or not, at least in urban areas, and which color and interval:

Not to nitpick too much, but you left out Montana (not that it's the most urban of states) and have Colorado twice.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

SkyPesos

« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2021, 02:51:09 PM »

Not to nitpick too much, but you left out Montana (not that it's the most urban of states) and have Colorado twice.
I had Colorado under integer mile markers initially, until I found 0.1 non-enhanced mile marker stickers on I-25 lighting posts south of Denver after posting the list.
And yea, I missed Montana, but I’m guessing it uses integer mile markers only for how desolate the state is.

Scott5114

• Nit picker of unprecedented pedantry

• Last Login: Today at 02:08:14 AM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2021, 03:11:23 PM »

Nevada has some enhanced postmiles that show a shield but otherwise contain the same by-county information that their small postmiles have. California has a few MUTCD-standard enhanced markers on one road but I think the mileage is still by-county.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

stevashe

• Last Login: March 13, 2024, 05:15:13 PM
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2021, 05:31:11 PM »

I can confirm that Montana is just standard integer mile markers, from what I've seen driving there.

Also, I feel like California should at least have a note about them using their own postmile signs and not the MUTCD standard mile markers. Plus, they also have the unique practice of signing the whole miles (x.00) in the increasing direction, and the x.50 miles in the decreasing direction, which is interesting.

FrCorySticha

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 07:25:10 PM
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2021, 06:42:37 PM »

I can confirm that Montana is just standard integer mile markers, from what I've seen driving there.
I have yet to see decimal mileage markers anywhere in Montana. It would be nice if they did that for interstates, but still only integers.

SSOWorld

• 'Sconsin

• Interstate <Make up your mind!>

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 07:24:47 PM
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2021, 06:49:22 PM »

Wisconsin

All freeways
Throughout the state
Blue
Yes
Median

There are rural areas of the state that have not received these yet.  Also there are expressway sections that have these as well - still in urban areas or surrounding them (the signs do go well out of the central urban zones such as Madison or Milwaukee.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

US 89

• Your friendly neighborhood meteorologist

• Last Login: February 23, 2024, 09:23:28 AM
    • Utah Highways
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2021, 07:04:49 PM »

- Utah (0.1, limited use)

That “limited use”  refers to exactly one route (I-80) where the mainline route designation shifts freeways at the two interchanges with I-15. UDOT uses ramp mileposts (described more in this thread) spaced every 0.1 mile at three complex system interchanges in Salt Lake to aid in emergency response. Most of the ramps carry a 3-letter designator and have blue markers every 0.1 mile, but UDOT opted instead to use MUTCD-standard green enhanced mile markers for the ramps carrying mainline 80.

SkyPesos

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2021, 07:14:09 PM »

Also, I feel like California should at least have a note about them using their own postmile signs and not the MUTCD standard mile markers. Plus, they also have the unique practice of signing the whole miles (x.00) in the increasing direction, and the x.50 miles in the decreasing direction, which is interesting.
Are CA's postmiles sign on US/SR only or also on interstates? I did a Google image search for CA postmile signs, as I don't know what they look like, and couldn't find an example of one that's on an interstate highway.

US 89

• Your friendly neighborhood meteorologist

• Last Login: February 23, 2024, 09:23:28 AM
    • Utah Highways
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2021, 08:16:14 PM »

Are CA's postmiles sign on US/SR only or also on interstates? I did a Google image search for CA postmile signs, as I don't know what they look like, and couldn't find an example of one that's on an interstate highway.

They are on interstates too. Here's one on I-80 at the Nevada line: https://goo.gl/maps/4oLXygTb3rdZtrft5

In fact, they are the only mileage markers on California interstates. MUTCD-standard mile markers are limited to a few highways generally in the southern part of the state, and none of them are interstates.

Mccojm

• Last Login: May 02, 2023, 01:55:52 PM
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2021, 08:17:51 PM »

New York (Long Island)
No mileage markers used, nys roads use reference markers which are tiny green signs every 1/10th mile or close to it. The system makes no sense to those who aren’t in the know of how the system works.

As a dot employee, I wish we would install enhanced markers on our highways and major routes on Long Island. Probably will never happen while we still use consecutive based exits with no indication of switching to mileage base in my lifetime as well as funding allocated to other necessary improvements.
My expressed thoughts do not reflect those of NYSDOT, other associated agencies or firms.  Do not take anything I say as official unless it is released by said agencies.

NYSDOT R10 Long Island construction Group since 2013.

ran4sh

« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2021, 11:56:09 PM »

Those aren't necessarily related, there are states that use MUTCD-standard mile markers even when they used sequential exit numbers.

MASTERNC

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 05:10:31 PM
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2021, 01:05:29 PM »

Plus some states use enhanced for full miles but regular for the tenths - that's what the newer installs in NY around Syracuse on I-81 and Albany on I-87 use (meanwhile, the newer markers on NY 33 around Buffalo use enhanced markers for everything, so it varies by region as usual).

The enhanced markers at full miles with regular tenth markers are what the PA Turnpike and MDTA (I-95) use

SkyPesos

« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2021, 06:29:09 PM »

Kentucky
Interstates only or all freeways: Interstates only
Urban areas only or throughout the state: Urban areas only
Color (normally green or blue): Blue
Interval (most common I see are 0.1 and 0.2): 0.2 in Louisville and Lexington, 0.1 in Northern KY (Cincinnati Metro)
.0 on whole miles (Yes or No): Yes
Placement in median or right shoulder: Median, with right shoulder ones on I-64 in Louisville
Any more info to add: Has an old design and new design, with the same details as Ohio's mile markers in each.
Edit to KY, as I was on I-75 in the state yesterday and noticed some things
- South of Lexington, there were enhanced mile markers in 0.2 intervals for the distance of the 6 laned section in rural areas
- At around mileposts 50-70ish, the whole mile markers don't have a ".0". This is the only occurrence of this in the state I found so far. This section was recently 4-laned, I didn't take photos, and GSV only went up to 2018, so no example here.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.