News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Random Thoughts

Started by kenarmy, March 29, 2021, 10:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on June 06, 2022, 04:28:11 PM
My random thought:  do the subtitle haters have any family members who are deaf?

Obviously, there are people who need the subtitles.  It's just that I, as a hearing person, find them distracting.

In direct answer to your question:  no, I don't have any family members who are deaf.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

And then there are people like me who don't need them, but they help. I suspect I have ADHD, and part of that disorder is auditory processing issues. I can hear something perfectly fine, but my brain just won't interpret it and translate it to "text" for me. (Sometimes that's because it's decided I need to instead be interpreting some conversation two people are having nearby, or the sound of a bird singing outside, or whatever.) If I'm given an uncaptioned video, usually at least once I'll need to rewind to "hear something again" because my brain didn't actually tell me what I was hearing.

Such hassles are part of the reason I'd rather have text than video. Text is easier to "rewind" (and I find that I have far fewer instances of losing track of what I was reading than what I was hearing anyway).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

mgk920

How scarce are automotive jumpers cable where the wires are about twice the length of the average car (so I can jump-start a car that is parked in a normal parking lot)?

Mike

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: mgk920 on June 06, 2022, 09:17:37 PM
How scarce are automotive jumpers cable where the wires are about twice the length of the average car (so I can jump-start a car that is parked in a normal parking lot)?

Mike

I have long jumpers, but I special ordered them about 15 years ago.

formulanone

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 06, 2022, 04:46:02 PM
And then there are people like me who don't need them, but they help. I suspect I have ADHD, and part of that disorder is auditory processing issues. I can hear something perfectly fine, but my brain just won't interpret it and translate it to "text" for me. [...]

Such hassles are part of the reason I'd rather have text than video. Text is easier to "rewind" (and I find that I have far fewer instances of losing track of what I was reading than what I was hearing anyway).

I get this sometimes, especially as I get older; some voices just seem to sound like an undifferentiated "blah mumble blah huh mumble mumble something something huh-huh" but I know they said something else. Especially if there's something also making distracting sounds. So we tend to turn on the subtitles, although I think we all prefer them on for most shows and movies.

If I don't need video, I usually prefer to read it. Some folks are better at describing complex things better than others, though.

D-Dey65

Quote from: J N Winkler on June 06, 2022, 04:28:11 PM
My random thought:  do the subtitle haters have any family members who are deaf?
The real question is do subtitle makers have any family members who are deaf. Sometimes I wonder if they do, because they get so many lines wrong.

D-Dey65

GaryV

Quote from: formulanone on June 06, 2022, 10:49:04 PM

I get this sometimes, especially as I get older; some voices just seem to sound like an undifferentiated "blah mumble blah huh mumble mumble something something huh-huh"

That's called "a wife".

1995hoo

My mother uses subtitles because she likes to watch British programming on PBS and she often has trouble understanding everything they say. That makes sense to me. What does not make sense to me is that she doesn't turn the subtitles off when she finishes watching PBS. If we go over there and I turn on a Sunday afternoon football game or something, the subtitles obscure a large part of the screen. I guess it's her prerogative since it's her TV, but not being able to see what's on the screen kind of defeats the purpose of watching TV in my view.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: GaryV on June 07, 2022, 07:15:10 AM

I get this sometimes, especially as I get older; some voices just seem to sound like an undifferentiated "blah mumble blah huh mumble mumble something something huh-huh"

That's called "a wife".

I did ask if there was a need for a kitchenette or even having a new trailer, both were a "no."   That bought the price range largely below 14k. 

kphoger

Quote from: mgk920 on June 06, 2022, 09:17:37 PM

This is half the reason I back in whenever it's reasonable to do so.  (Doesn't help if you're jumping someone else's car, but it sure helps if you're the one needing a jump.)
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

That's called "a wife".

That's when she tells me I need a hearing aid.

Truth is that her voice doesn't really fall in that mystery zone of auditory pablum, unless she's three rooms away and wants something.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: formulanone on June 07, 2022, 10:49:26 AM

That's called "a wife".

That's when she tells me I need a hearing aid.

Truth is that her voice doesn't really fall in that mystery zone of auditory pablum, unless she's three rooms away and wants something.

I actually probably will as time goes on.  I have some hearing loss in my right ear from being around loud racing engines frequently in my late teens.

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 07, 2022, 10:52:26 AM
I actually probably will as time goes on.  I have some hearing loss in my right ear from being around loud racing engines frequently in my late teens.

I think mine is from mowing the lawn as a kid with the Walkman turned up to full volume.
Male pronouns, please.

Flint1979

Stay out of Saginaw, Michigan. Right now as I post this there are two cars riding around Saginaw shooting at random people with an automatic they shot up a party store on Dixie Highway and King Road in Bridgeport Township as well. This is after a mass shooting that happened in the city last weekend.

mgk920

Quote from: Flint1979 on June 09, 2022, 09:59:02 PM
Stay out of Saginaw, Michigan. Right now as I post this there are two cars riding around Saginaw shooting at random people with an automatic they shot up a party store on Dixie Highway and King Road in Bridgeport Township as well. This is after a mass shooting that happened in the city last weekend.

By 'automatic', you mean that the perp was using a Thompson or Uzi?

:wow:

Mike

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: mgk920 on June 09, 2022, 11:03:51 PM

:wow:

Mike

So basically a robbery? 

Also, total aside but an "automatic"  to me brings to mind an automatic/non-standard transmission.

kkt

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 06, 2022, 04:01:35 PM
Why does my wife want a camper that costs almost double what I bought my last new car for?

You could spend an awful lot of nights in hotels for the price of two cars.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kkt on June 10, 2022, 02:15:01 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 06, 2022, 04:01:35 PM
Why does my wife want a camper that costs almost double what I bought my last new car for?

You could spend an awful lot of nights in hotels for the price of two cars.

Right, it would take a crap ton of overnight Road trips to make that price point sensible.  Sadly I don't think even for me the days of 100 plus days on the road a year are coming back until retirement.

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 09, 2022, 11:14:16 PM

So basically a robbery? 

Also, total aside but an "automatic"  to me brings to mind an automatic/non-standard transmission.

1.  I can't find any information on the news right now about what type of gun was being used.  It's possible |Flint1979| has more info, or it's possible he just said "automatic" to sound dramatic.

2.  Not having to use the gearshift would free up a hand to make shooting easier, I suppose...  OK, that was morbid.
Male pronouns, please.

Max Rockatansky

Something that always struck me as odd about news reports about shootings is when they phrase things like "the shooter used a semi-automatic handgun."   Why not just say "the shooter used a handgun"  to simplify it?  When I hear something like that it makes me wonder if a news agency would make the effort to note if a shooter used a "single-action handgun."

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 10, 2022, 09:59:21 AM
Something that always struck me as odd about news reports about shootings is when they phrase things like "the shooter used a semi-automatic handgun."   Why not just say "the shooter used a handgun"  to simplify it?  When I hear something like that it makes me wonder if a news agency would make the effort to note if a shooter used a "single-action handgun."

I mean, I guess they could have used a Colt revolver...
Male pronouns, please.

Flint1979

Quote from: kphoger on June 10, 2022, 09:53:32 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 09, 2022, 11:14:16 PM

So basically a robbery? 

1.  I can't find any information on the news right now about what type of gun was being used.  It's possible |Flint1979| has more info, or it's possible he just said "automatic" to sound dramatic.

2.  Not having to use the gearshift would free up a hand to make shooting easier, I suppose...  OK, that was morbid.
I got my information from the scanner plus people posting in a Facebook group. It was a blue van or SUV and a cream colored car driving around shooting at random people. I mean an automatic rifle I don't know exactly what kind of automatic it was though.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on June 10, 2022, 10:14:43 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 10, 2022, 09:59:21 AM

I mean, I guess they could have used a Colt revolver...

Those are still by far the most fun handgun I've taken to a range.  My brother in law has a couple in his gun safe in Florida.  They don't have a lick of accuracy to them.

Flint1979

It's Friday night. I haven't been in the city of Saginaw all day except for riding on the border along Weiss Street for a minute.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.