News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Random Thoughts

Started by kenarmy, March 29, 2021, 10:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgk920

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 26, 2022, 04:30:32 AM
Quote from: 1 on June 26, 2022, 04:21:18 AM
Euros should be accepted.

What about lira?

Those haven't been issued for 20 years now.

:-o

Mike

Flint1979

I just put a Chevy Malibu back out on M-52 northbound coming out of St. Charles about 20 minutes ago. After we hit the 55 mph speed limit I punched it and got up to 100 mph, a Chevy Malibu was trying to keep up with me and trying to pass me and I wouldn't let him. Oncoming traffic was coming and I slowed down and let him ride my ass. I was only doing 100 mph for about a half mile, I was doing 75 mph up to Swan Creek Road as there was no traffic in front of me until I got to the curve after Lakefield Road and that traffic was doing 70 so I just kept with them, the oncoming traffic though was nonstop so the Malibu was still behind me. I turned onto Swan Creek Road and about 2 miles or so down by the Saginaw Valley Rail Trail crossing my GPS alerted me that there was a speed trap ahead. So I slowed down and was doing the 55 mph speed limit and the Malibu comes up behind me and passes me doing about 75 or so mph, about a half mile later a Michigan state police trooper was sitting on the side of the road just chillin. The Malibu passed him and the cop went after him. I thought holy shit that car got pulled over. I hadn't had my Fusion up to 100 mph before so I broke the sound barrier on this car.

frankenroad

Quote from: Bruce on June 27, 2022, 03:10:00 PM
Back to the subtitles thing: They should be displayed at plays and musicals as well. Often the sound mixing or speakers aren't properly set up, so it's hard to catch what was said/sung.

Agree 100% - I went to see Hamilton a couple years ago and could not understand most of what was being sung.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

Big John

Quote from: mgk920 on June 29, 2022, 02:53:54 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on June 26, 2022, 04:30:32 AM
Quote from: 1 on June 26, 2022, 04:21:18 AM
Euros should be accepted.

What about lira?

Those haven't been issued for 20 years now.

:-o

Mike
There is still Turkish Lira.

formulanone

The Flintstones never discussed the initiation rites of the Loyal Order of Water Buffaloes, did they?

GaryV

Is it possible for mourning doves to take flight without making noise?

hotdogPi

AARoads Premium

$14.99 per month, $39.99 for a 3-month package

• Post count increases by 2 for every post made.
  • Ability to see deleted posts.
  • Your signature allows up to 1000 characters instead of 300.
  • You can see when a user is replying to you and what they're typing in real time.
  • Travel Mapping .list files are automatically updated if connected to your smartphone and location services are enabled.
  • Google Maps and Google Street View imagery go back to 1926.

AARoads Ultimate

$49.99 per month, $124.99 for a 3-month package

Everything in AARoads Premium, plus:

• Ability to see admin/moderator logs.
  • Set your post count to whatever you want. (It goes back to what it should be, with the doubling of Premium accounted for, if you choose not to renew AARoads Ultimate.)
  • Once per week: Teleport to anywhere within 15 miles (military bases and other illegal places excluded), then back again at any time within the day. You have the option of bringing your car with you. [The limit is 15 miles because anything higher can be harmful because of issues with the rotation of the earth.]
  • You can also have your car teleport when you take a plane trip; this does not count against the once per week limit.
  • On the road, if you see another forum member's car, it will be highlighted with the username above the car.
  • You will instinctively know how to pronounce the name of any municipality.
  • Requests to DOTs, cities, etc. about non-compliant signage, confusing signage, excessive stop signs, low speed limits, etc. will always get a response and are much more likely to be implemented.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Scott5114

I wish my admin panel had the stuff on it that you seem to think it does. :-D
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

lepidopteran

Quote from: formulanone on June 30, 2022, 11:42:21 AM
The Flintstones never discussed the initiation rites of the Loyal Order of Water Buffaloes, did they?
Yes they did.  It was on that episode where Wilma and Betty dressed up like men and donned their husbands' old hats to sneak into the Water Buffalo lodge.  But they wound up in the room where the new members were waiting, and ended up having being subject to hazing rituals.

D-Dey65

Is there anybody out there who's actively trying to revive button copy signs, just for decorations?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: D-Dey65 on July 05, 2022, 11:52:17 PM
Is there anybody out there who's actively trying to revive button copy signs, just for decorations?

Yes:

https://flic.kr/p/2kLTffT

D-Dey65

Oh, so that's not an old one you bought at an auction from CalDOT?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: D-Dey65 on July 06, 2022, 12:15:59 AM
Oh, so that's not an old one you bought at an auction from CalDOT?

Someone cut the shield out of a BGS near San Juan Capistrano, I bought it off them.  Seemed like it was a shield in need of preservation on my garage wall.

Scott5114

Quote from: D-Dey65 on July 05, 2022, 11:52:17 PM

Jake Bear used to make signs in the style of the old ground-level cateye signs (i.e. reflectors affixed to a backplate that then poked through holes drilled in the sign face), but as far as I know he never did true button copy, where each letter is demountable. In any case, he's moved away from reflective signs of any sort, since most of his replicas are of signs that were never reflective to begin with.

Flint1979

A fire that destroyed a condo building west of Saginaw last night. Firefighters from several different departments battled the blaze for 7 hours. Driving westbound on M-46 I noticed a cloud of black smoke in the air. This condo is a complete loss.

https://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw-bay-city/2022/07/pictures-video-show-devastation-from-condo-fire-in-saginaw-area-that-displaced-dozens.html?fbclid=IwAR2xzPf0KpSjwX2z-vzFQ-gTnykWWNmDJ9_X2UBHZzZT10E1qZz5YV1NUIQ

D-Dey65

Do towels over the windows of cars mean the same thing as a sock on a doorknob? I saw a whole bunch of them at the northbound I-75 Hillsborough County Rest Area yesterday.

kkt

Quote from: D-Dey65 on July 09, 2022, 06:28:48 AM
Do towels over the windows of cars mean the same thing as a sock on a doorknob? I saw a whole bunch of them at the northbound I-75 Hillsborough County Rest Area yesterday.

Probably just trying to block out light from outside the car so they can get a nap.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: 1 on July 05, 2022, 08:54:55 PM
(AARoads Premium)

Not gonna lie, the Ultimate plan is worth it for the ability to teleport alone.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Scott5114

Could you have a hair metal band where everyone is bald?

formulanone

Quote from: lepidopteran on July 05, 2022, 10:37:19 PM
Quote from: formulanone on June 30, 2022, 11:42:21 AM
Yes they did.  It was on that episode where Wilma and Betty dressed up like men and donned their husbands' old hats to sneak into the Water Buffalo lodge.  But they wound up in the room where the new members were waiting, and ended up having being subject to hazing rituals.

So I didn't imagine it.

CNGL-Leudimin

I think the Earth rotation thing shouldn't be an issue when teleporting due to gravity. Another thing would be teleporting anywhere else in the Universe.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on July 13, 2022, 07:37:55 AM
I think the Earth rotation thing shouldn't be an issue when teleporting due to gravity. Another thing would be teleporting anywhere else in the Universe.

How come nobody in Science Fiction movies pertaining to time travel factors the differing position of Earth at different points in time?  The rotation of the Earth around the galactic core alone is enough to cause major problems even before you get into things like Universal Expansion.

Takumi

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 13, 2022, 04:10:43 AM
Sure. Wigs exist.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

formulanone

Quote from: Takumi on July 13, 2022, 08:48:37 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on July 13, 2022, 04:10:43 AM
Sure. Wigs exist.

Amadeus
Amadeus

Amadeus

kkt

Quote from: LilianaUwU on July 12, 2022, 08:26:19 PM
Quote from: 1 on July 05, 2022, 08:54:55 PM
(AARoads Premium)

Not gonna lie, the Ultimate plan is worth it for the ability to teleport alone.

:clap:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.