News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Why can't people merge onto an interstate properly anymore?

Started by Crash_It, May 02, 2021, 02:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crash_It

Rothman

Just couldn't move over, could you.  Sure, they didn't know what they were doing, but this is yet another "Crash-It is a jerk" video.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

wanderer2575

No question the other driver should have already gotten up to speed.  But you saw him coming in and you didn't slow down or move over, instead deliberately choosing to come right up on his tail.  And no doubt that's the reason he put on his brakes, slowing down even more.  So YOU made a dangerous situation even worse.  But, yet again, all you care about is whether you're technically in the right, with no common sense regarding an actual situation.

SectorZ

I wish dash cams existed when I was a claims adjuster. I can only see someone doing the "I had the right of way" routine as they intentionally plow into someone when they could have just moved over a lane.

Crash_It

Quote from: Rothman on May 02, 2021, 02:59:42 PM
Just couldn't move over, could you.  Sure, they didn't know what they were doing, but this is yet another "Crash-It is a jerk" video.

There was no time to move over, did you not see the traffic going by in that other lane. The law says that drivers merging on have to match the speed, this didn't happen.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Crash_It on May 02, 2021, 04:22:12 PM

There was no time to move over, did you not see the traffic going by in that other lane. The law says that drivers merging on have to match the speed, this didn't happen.

It was over 6 seconds from the time you recognized the merging vehicle to the time a car passed you in the next lane. If that is "no time to move over" then you have no business driving on freeways.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

CtrlAltDel

The law says that drivers merging on have to match the speed, this didn't happen.

The law says, and I quote:

At an intersection where traffic lanes are provided for merging traffic the driver of each vehicle on the converging roadways is required to adjust his vehicular speed and lateral position so as to avoid a collision with another vehicle.

(emphasis mine)
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Crash_It

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 02, 2021, 04:26:02 PM

It was over 6 seconds from the time you recognized the merging vehicle to the time a car passed you in the next lane. If that is "no time to move over" then you have no business driving on freeways.
If you can't match the speed of traffic then you have no business driving on freeways

Crash_It

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on May 02, 2021, 04:35:27 PM
The law says that drivers merging on have to match the speed, this didn't happen.

At an intersection where traffic lanes are provided for merging traffic the driver of each vehicle on the converging roadways is required to adjust his vehicular speed and lateral position so as to avoid a collision with another vehicle.

(emphasis mine)

Exactly and I clarified that in my vocal explanation

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Crash_It on May 02, 2021, 05:28:25 PM

(emphasis mine)

You said it, yes, but you did it with only great delay, unnecessary frustration, poor skill, and pointless honking, and then you posted a video about it online. I mean, you didn't reduce your speed until you were about four feet off this guy's bumper. That is why I highlighted the "driver of each vehicle" bit of the law. You should have slowed down or moved over as soon as you saw the speed of the other car. As it stands, you did not act in an appropriate, wise, or legal way in this situation regardless of this other car's errors.
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Crash_It

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on May 02, 2021, 05:44:29 PM

(emphasis mine)

You said it, yes, but you did it with only great delay, unnecessary frustration, poor skill, and pointless honking, and then you posted a video about it online. I mean, you didn't reduce your speed until you were about four feet off this guy's bumper. That is why I highlighted the "driver of each vehicle" bit of the law. You should have slowed down or moved over as soon as you saw the speed of the other car. As it stands, you did not act in an appropriate, wise, or legal way in this situation regardless of this other car's errors.

I had adaptive cruise enabled.. That was already starting to happen until the PCS activated.. why doesn't the other driver just you know? Hit the gas as required to match speed of traffic (like you are taught in driver's ed) so stuff like this doesn't happen.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Crash_It on May 02, 2021, 05:27:56 PM

If you can't match the speed of traffic then you have no business driving on freeways

So we agree that your video showed two drivers who have no business driving on freeways.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Crash_It on May 02, 2021, 06:06:35 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on May 02, 2021, 05:44:29 PM

(emphasis mine)

I had adaptive cruise enabled.. That was already starting to happen until the PCS activated.. why doesn't the other driver just you know? Hit the gas as required to match speed of traffic (like you are taught in driver's ed) so stuff like this doesn't happen.

I'm not saying that the other car didn't make any errors. What I'm saying is that the other car's errors don't excuse your errors, which, as I and others have consistently said, are plentiful.

Crash_It

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 02, 2021, 06:10:11 PM

So we agree that your video showed two drivers who have no business driving on freeways.

Nope, just one and it's the person who is incapable of reaching and driving at freeway speeds. What state of mind would possess someone to think that merging on and then driving slowly is a good idea? Even if I moved over that driver is still creating a dangerous situation for everyone by driving so slowly.

jeffandnicole

You mentioned in the video the HP of the other vehicle.  That's irrelevant.

I will say that driver probably shouldn't have braked at the end of the ramp, but when they saw you approaching they probably slowed up as they didn't know what you were doing, especially with how close you were.

We know you have a rear window cam, and you elected not to show that video in this case. That kinda says you probably did have the time to merge left, and you declined to show it due to that.

wanderer2575

Quote from: Crash_It on May 02, 2021, 06:37:46 PM

Nope, just one and it's the person who is incapable of reaching and driving at freeway speeds. What state of mind would possess someone to think that merging on and then driving slowly is a good idea? Even if I moved over that driver is still creating a dangerous situation for everyone by driving so slowly.

Cripes, you're as closed-minded as FritzOwl.  Actually more so, since you appear to actually be reading comments.  So, one more time:  We all agree the other driver created a dangerous situation.  But you deliberately refused to proactively adjust for that situation and therefore you made it even more dangerous (by causing the other driver to slow down even more).  What the fuck about that do you not understand?  If you can't adapt to unexpected and even outright improper/illegal situations, you have no business being behind the wheel.  The difference between you and the other guy is that you're complaining about bad drivers while demonstrating that you're one yourself.

Crash_It

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 02, 2021, 06:53:19 PM
You mentioned in the video the HP of the other vehicle.  That's irrelevant.

I will say that driver probably shouldn't have braked at the end of the ramp, but when they saw you approaching they probably slowed up as they didn't know what you were doing, especially with how close you were.

We know you have a rear window cam, and you elected not to show that video in this case. That kinda says you probably did have the time to merge left, and you declined to show it due to that.

HP is in every way relevant because the more you have, the faster you can accelerate.

As for the rear camera....

I elected not to show it because 1) it isn't relevant to show it for the situation

2) the way the camera attaches to the mount is damaged so the footage wouldn't have been straight or showed it correctly ( you'd see more pillar than road)

Crash_It

Quote from: wanderer2575 on May 02, 2021, 06:53:57 PM
Quote from: Crash_It on May 02, 2021, 06:37:46 PM

Cripes, you're as closed-minded as FritzOwl.  Actually more so, since you appear to actually be reading comments.  So, one more time:  We all agree the other driver created a dangerous situation.  But you deliberately refused to proactively adjust for that situation and therefore you made it even more dangerous (by causing the other driver to slow down even more).  What the fuck about that do you not understand?  If you can't adapt to unexpected and even outright improper/illegal situations, you have no business being behind the wheel.  The difference between you and the other guy is that you're complaining about bad drivers while demonstrating that you're one yourself.

I understand it perfectly and the situation was properly adapted to because there was no accident. All a driver already on an interstate or other controlled access roadway has to do by law is not hit the other vehicle whether by braking or moving out the way.

Rothman

This conversation leads me to believe that Crash-It is best left ignored.  Altogether.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Mapmikey

Looks like he learned defensive social media posting instead of defensive driving.

sprjus4

Quote from: Mapmikey on May 02, 2021, 08:49:17 PM
Looks like he learned defensive social media posting instead of defensive driving.
Somebody needs to get their priorities straight.

Crash_It

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 02, 2021, 08:41:57 PM
Just lay on the horn, that fixes everything.

You sound like someone who would drive slow after being honked at for being on your phone 5 seconds after the light turned green because you can't accept being notified of a stupid mistake. Cars have horns for a reason and I recently upgraded mine and it couldn't have came at a better time.

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: Crash_It on May 02, 2021, 07:30:13 PM
I understand it perfectly and the situation was properly adapted to because there was no accident. All a driver already on an interstate or other controlled access roadway has to do by law is not hit the other vehicle whether by braking or moving out the way.

Back in the day, I was taught in drivers' ed that if braking is required on a freeway, something has gone wrong.

While the other driver may have erred in not getting up to highway speed (perhaps due to their being uncertain of what you were going to do? perhaps they were electing to drive at a speed less than the limit but still above the minimum, for reasons unknown?), you had the opportunity to anticipate their actions and adjust in a way that didn't require either of you to brake.

I enjoy watching YouTube videos of driver errors.  But as an insurance professional, I also find it oddly fascinating how some folks will post videos seeking validation when their own errors may have contributed to the near misses / accidents.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Crash_It on May 02, 2021, 09:19:53 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 02, 2021, 08:41:57 PM
Just lay on the horn, that fixes everything.

You sound like someone who would drive slow after being honked at for being on your phone 5 seconds after the light turned green because you can't accept being notified of a stupid mistake. Cars have horns for a reason and I recently upgraded mine and it couldn't have came at a better time.

Ha, you don't even know anything about how I drive.  But we know full well much of a douche bag behind the wheel you are. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.