AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Would it be possible to reconstruct a building using GSV/photospheres?  (Read 2854 times)

TheGrassGuy

• Last Login: March 12, 2024, 01:36:20 PM

Take any building in the world with Google Maps coverage of its interior (doesn't matter whether it's GSV, custom SV, or even photospheres). Let's hope this doesn't happen, but let's say our building gets destroyed: a fire, a tornado, or some other disaster. Real life examples would include the National Museum of Brazil, and the cathedral of Notre-Dame in Paris.

What I'm interested in knowing is if it would be possible to reconstruct a building, either virtually or in real life, using only Google Maps imagery.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

formulanone

• latest clinch

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:14:36 PM

Fascinating idea, would probably need a good team of architects to figure it out and work around lens distortion, et cetera. If it was a very famous structure or one by a famous architect, they'd probably have an extensive breakdown about it elsewhere (books/photos/internet).

In the case of the National Museum of Brazil, the contents were probably much more valuable than the structure, and I'm guessing whatever new structure is erected will probably be different, but that depends of norms and expectations of the area.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 03:15:04 PM by formulanone »

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:41:17 PM
    • Flickr account

GSV doesn't have imagery of maintenance rooms as far as I know.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

TheGrassGuy

Scott5114

• Nit picker of unprecedented pedantry

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:33:07 PM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards

This isn't strictly on topic because it doesn't have to do with the interiors, but there was a guy in Russia who built an accurate scale model of downtown Oklahoma City, sight unseen, before GSV was a thing. There was an architecture blogger who lived in Oklahoma City and ran a blog where he posted pictures of every building in the core from several angles. The Russian chose Oklahoma City for his model because of that imagery and because of the variety of architectural styles. I want to say the city heard about it and paid for him to come over and have the mayor give him a tour of the real thing.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

TheGrassGuy

This isn't strictly on topic because it doesn't have to do with the interiors, but there was a guy in Russia who built an accurate scale model of downtown Oklahoma City, sight unseen, before GSV was a thing. There was an architecture blogger who lived in Oklahoma City and ran a blog where he posted pictures of every building in the core from several angles. The Russian chose Oklahoma City for his model because of that imagery and because of the variety of architectural styles. I want to say the city heard about it and paid for him to come over and have the mayor give him a tour of the real thing.
Reminds me of Project "Build the Earth" in Minecraft.

CtrlAltDel

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:41:10 PM

What I'm wondering is if Google Street View's data is precise enough to do so.

I know that a few years before the fire, Notre Dame cathedral in Paris was measured and imaged from top to bottom with lasers and other state-of-the-art technical gizmos, and all that has apparently been quite helpful in the reconstruction effort, in combination with various drawings and written records.

So, with GSV, I think you might be able to reconstruct something in a way that will resemble the previous version, but whether it would be identical past that, I don't know.

That said, where there's a will, there's definitely a way. The Frauenkirche (another church) was destroyed in the bombing of Dresden in the Second World War, and they rebuilt that stone by stone, more or less, over the course of about twenty years, and so, even if they did it without GSV, it stands to reason it could definitely make things a lot easier.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 06:39:52 PM by CtrlAltDel »
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

kphoger

• My 2 Achilles' heels: sarcasm & snark

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:31:10 PM

Why wouldn't they just use the blueprints instead?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. Dick
If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

cwf1701

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:06:49 PM

Why wouldn't they just use the blueprints instead?

Blueprints can get lost sometimes.

TheGrassGuy

What about artifacts? (Ex: the Iraq Museum in Baghdad, which IIRC is the only official GSV imagery in Iraq)

Scott5114

What about artifacts? (Ex: the Iraq Museum in Baghdad, which IIRC is the only official GSV imagery in Iraq)

You probably could reconstruct artifacts from photos (and in fact some archives have started taking full 3D scans and imagery of items in their collections). However, it would, of course, not have the same value as an original piece.

TheGrassGuy

Re: Would it be possible to reconstruct a building using GSV/photospheres?
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2022, 08:46:19 AM »

This question might be all the more relevant nowadays, since Ukraine has GSV.

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:52:41 PM
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2022, 09:28:59 PM »

Maybe they can reconstruct the facade of the building and certain rooms, but GSV wouldn't provide any detail about below ground, structural components, or details that can't be seen from the view.

Buildings that need to be reconstructed would also need to follow modern requirements which may differ from when the building was originally built.

Scott5114

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2022, 09:39:42 PM »

And architectural tastes may have changed since the original building was constructed, such that there's not much appetite to replace it with an exact duplicate anyway.

This may well be the case in Ukraine. I doubt there's much desire to recreate any destroyed buildings that date from the Soviet era and have the 1980s USSR aesthetic.

SEWIGuy

• Grid Anarchist

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:05:19 PM
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2022, 09:02:40 AM »

Would it be possible?  No.  As people have said, there is just too much "unseen." 

HighwayStar

• Last Login: November 06, 2023, 10:56:26 AM
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2022, 07:27:02 PM »

Would it be possible?  No.  As people have said, there is just too much "unseen."

This, for anything more complicated than maybe a small building GSV cannot give enough detail to figure out structural support.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

TheGrassGuy

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2022, 08:13:19 AM »

If the extent of the damage is heavy enough, will they pull a Warsaw/Dresden or a Hiroshima/Rotterdam?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.