I-95 in Maine and New Hampsire - earliest map-labeled Interstate?

Started by M3100, May 22, 2021, 02:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M3100

I have a 1958 Sears (Rand McNally) Road Atlas, and it has labeled parts of the turnpikes in Maine and New Hampshire as I-95.  As far as I can tell, those are the only highways then labeled as interstates.  Were these the earliest highway segments officially posted/designated as Interstates?

The atlas shows other major turnpikes already constructed (Pennsylvania Turnpike, Ohio Turnpike, New York State Thruway, etc.) but none of these are designated with an Interstate highway number.

Alps

The mapmakers should have known which turnpikes were which highways as of 1957, but they weren't all posted within day 1 or anything. Turnpike agencies took their time.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: M3100 on May 22, 2021, 02:28:21 PM
I have a 1958 Sears (Rand McNally) Road Atlas, and it has labeled parts of the turnpikes in Maine and New Hampshire as I-95.  As far as I can tell, those are the only highways then labeled as interstates.  Were these the earliest highway segments officially posted/designated as Interstates?

Keep in mind that for many years, the "middle" part of the Maine Turnpike was not I-95 (it had no public route number) between Portland and West Gardiner.  The original plan was for I-95 to follow what is now I-295.  Before what is now I-295 was built, I-95 was signed on the Turnpike south of Augusta, but then the designation disappeared after the ME-126 interchange when heading south (in those days the Turnpike was a ticket operation and the interchange at ME-126 was a trumpet connection to the Turnpike - you can still see its remains on Google).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

The Ghostbuster

Yes, from 1956 to 1988, the Maine Turnpike between Exits 52 and 103 (then Exits 9 through 14) did not have a designation; that year it became Interstate 495. Same with the Kansas Turnpike was undesignated between Exits 127 and 177 from 1956 to 1987, when it became Interstate 335 (they did that so that the speed limit along that segment could be increased from 55 MPH to 65 MPH). If you ask me, the entire length of the Maine Turnpike should have been Interstate 95 to begin with.

CapeCodder

IIRC as late as the early 80's 95 was a super-2 past Bangor.

ClassicHasClass

QuoteYes, from 1956 to 1988, the Maine Turnpike between Exits 52 and 103 (then Exits 9 through 14) did not have a designation

Here's a picture of that: http://www.floodgap.com/roadgap/me/r?95#img_1

yakra

Quote from: M3100 on May 22, 2021, 02:28:21 PM
I have a 1958 Sears (Rand McNally) Road Atlas, and it has labeled parts of the turnpikes in Maine and New Hampshire as I-95.
Thought I had a `57 MDOT. Nope. It's a `58. Labels I-95 on the turnpike, and on US1 Bypass.

Quote from: cpzilliacus on May 23, 2021, 01:54:13 PM
West Gardiner.
Yes, thank you!  :clap: West Gardiner is a separate town from Gahdinah propah, which is incorrectly cited as 295 (or old 495)'s end a lot.

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on June 03, 2021, 12:43:09 AM
Here's a picture of that: http://www.floodgap.com/roadgap/me/r?95#img_1
Y'mean http://www.floodgap.com/roadgap/me/r?495#img_1 ?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

ClassicHasClass

yakra

Hm. When I clicked the link last time I didn't see any images. Mandela effect, obviously.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.